Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2014 19:55:00(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

A somewhat wild turn of events has found me taking a new job in New York, and I'll be moving across the US next year. While the job is quite great, the move is going to be a big shuffle, and the trains are probably the most complicated (or should I say risky because of damage) part of it.

I'll be living in a short term apartment for a few months, but then I'll be settling in somewhere around or outside the city, to enable a bit of space. (and if I'm lucky a basement for the trains!)

So anyways, I've got to figure out how to best pack them for a safe move across country. The inventory and related tasks are no problem, what I can use advice on is the best way to pack a lot of trains for safe moving via truck without damage, presumably in large boxes with a lot of trains. To give an idea, when condensed as far as possible my collection tightly fits in one standard american closet.

Any tips on packing or less than obvious reminders would be great!

Also- any east coast Marklin fans I'd love to connect once I'm out there next month!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2014 20:40:50(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Congratulations for getting your new job!
I find that when storing or transporting trains the best route to go is to not only have them in their boxes, but also to put a layer of felt or other thin cloth between each layer of boxes. It will prevent scratching of the boxes and also might serve as a small shock absorber.
The other part to remember is to make sure that they cant move around in the boxes themselves. Make sure that especially older models in their blue/orange boxes are firmly seated.
To be extra careful, you might consider to actually put a bag of that "jelly" that absorbs any humidity. It of course depends on hpw you will ship the trains but it is an easy way to ensure that the box(es) with all trains keep dry.
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2014 21:08:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
They key to safely transporting such items is to properly package them prior to transport. My last move occurred when my collection was still very small, so I had no problem at that point. Today, that would be a whole other story.
What you want to do is to have the models packed in their original boxes. For items that don't have the original box, those items should be wrapped in bubblepack, with the ends taped and then placed in boxes with spacers to keep them from jostling against other items.
When I moved my collection, I was fortunate to have some Canadian milk crates at my disposal, and was able to stack 3 or 4 locomotives on top of each other and package 9-12 locomotive in each crate. I had shipped my furniture, appliances and most of my records by mover, but the more precious items went into my car and made the trip with me.
Keep in mind the weight that the boxes can support. I have never tested to see how many boxes can be stacked on top of each other before the lower boxes start to compact, but I have been able to stack 4 with no apparent damage. You also have to take into account that movers may place other items on top of boxes, so you want to make sure that the Maerklin boxes are not crushed by your dishes, appliances or furniture.
I would suggest you check with office supply stores for milk crate type boxes and see if you can use those to hold your precious train cargo. Whatever you do, make sure that it is packed so that it can withstand shocks. As far as coaches and cars, they can be packed in cardboard boxes. I have a number of Amazon type 9N that I use for 30cm Roco, LSM and ACME type coaches. For Maerklin 27cm coaches, I got a number of pizza box type cardboard boxes that were originally designed to hold up to 15 vinyl records. I can put 4 of the 27cm coaches in each box with packing materials. Those boxes are pretty sturdy. For freight cars, try an Amazon 1A1. If you can find the plastic milk crate type boxes, you can experiment with what you can put in them, but remember that you have to make sure that there is no excessive weight placed on top of them.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2014 21:34:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Have a chat to Deborail. He has the most mobile collection in the world!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2014 21:37:20(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Congratulations on your new job in The Big Apple!

As an economical packing material, scrunched up newspaper is quite good. You might find yourself wanting to get rid of some old newspapers anyway.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2014 22:20:16(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

A somewhat wild turn of events has found me taking a new job in New York, and I'll be moving across the US next year. While the job is quite great, the move is going to be a big shuffle, and the trains are probably the most complicated (or should I say risky because of damage) part of it.

I'll be living in a short term apartment for a few months, but then I'll be settling in somewhere around or outside the city, to enable a bit of space. (and if I'm lucky a basement for the trains!)

So anyways, I've got to figure out how to best pack them for a safe move across country. The inventory and related tasks are no problem, what I can use advice on is the best way to pack a lot of trains for safe moving via truck without damage, presumably in large boxes with a lot of trains. To give an idea, when condensed as far as possible my collection tightly fits in one standard american closet.

Any tips on packing or less than obvious reminders would be great!

Also- any east coast Marklin fans I'd love to connect once I'm out there next month!

Hi John, best wishes on your new job and with the move. Well you're movin' to my home town and even though I've lived in Northern Va. outside of DC for almost

19 years now I will always be a NYCity boy. Try to save bubble wrap/syrofoam etc for the move. It helped us when we moved from NYCity to VA. I packed most of my

train items in cardboard boxes back then and the Loks were with us in the car for the drive down. I know you can't do this unless you're going to drive cross country?

If you are then take the Loks with you. Mark all your train stuff fragile even if it's not. I only had 11 boxes of train stuff then. I shutter to think what I'd have now?Scared

Cheers,Peter Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2014 22:23:17(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the tips guys- keep them coming!

I forgot to mention that the mover is a personal friend, and gets the importance of our train treasures. (and he models european N scale) So we are secure in shipping company, and they will be going in a sprinter van. At this phase its a matter of sourcing strong boxes, and some sort of impact-resistant lining for them before placing the trains inside... The good news is I have some time to research and experiment

PS Mike- you aren't too far away so maybe we can finally grab that coffee at some point!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2014 22:26:54(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post

Hi John, best wishes on your new job and with the move. Well you're movin' to my home town and even though I've lived in Northern Va. outside of DC for almost

Cheers,Peter Smile

Thanks! Not too far from DC so hopefully we connect at some point
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Tom Jessop  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2014 23:24:14(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Hi John , We did a big move 3 years ago with all the usual house hold stuff . The FD managed to obtain a lot of cardboxes from the greengrocer/ vegetable dealer which were about 23""x15"x6" . They were a 2 piece box ,top & bottom & ideal for "M" boxes to be carried in. Bubble wrap bulk roll was used to line the box & in between each box . Do not carry the boxes in a trailer ,only on the back seat of your vehicle due to better suspension . Geewhizz moving from sunny cal to bleak city will be a adventure when you will need more clothes etc to keep warm during the greater part of the year . Have fun packing & don't rush yourself .

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline GlennM  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2014 23:55:31(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Views messages in topic : 2,886
Hello,

I moved house earlier this year, and the best piece of advice I can give you, is start packing early and allow plenty of time.

I did not at right at the end I was up against the clock, and although everything got packed, there are some boxes which I am not sure what exactly is in what Confused

I did not move very far, but for the record I sourced some very large plastic rectangular tubs with lids, and packed my Marklin in these. We then took time out just to move the Marklin so two van journeys with the boxes stored all on one level so there could be no accidents. I was so pleased with the tubs, most of my Marklin is still stored in them, until such time as we get everything back to normal, but will keep them for future use. I should also note we did not have a layout to move which made things easier.

I think your move is far more complicated and you certainly cannot keep everything on one level.

I can also add that back in 1978 my father moved his Marklin collection from Zambia back to the UK by air freight, and he packed all the Marklin in the original boxes, if there were no boxes they were wrapped in paper and then stored in tough cardboard boxes and then placed in steel trunks with a lining of about 15mm polystyrene around the edges, base and top. I can say everything made it, and as far as I can remember there were no breakages.

So I guess pack carefully, handle well and secure during transportation.

Good luck with the move, and keep us posted.

Best Regards

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline NZMarklinist  
#11 Posted : 17 October 2014 04:51:16(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi John,
Congratulations on what hopefully, must be a move up in the world career wise.

As I have a few of them myself, having been a Yamaha dealer, the best free box to find if you can, IMHO, is a Yamaha 5 or 6US? gallon outboard motor tank, shipping carton. The dealers usually throw them away. They are sturdy and have finger grips on the ends. So see if you can find a friendly Yamaha dealer, it won't hurt to ask, beer is usually a good bargaining tool, at least downunder Wink ThumpUp
I say these, because at some point you will need to move them around by hand, and store them for a while at your new home, so smaller is best for that. ThumpUp
Start with an extra layer of sturdy cardboard on the bottom of the cartons, and as mentioned above lots of bubble wrap, there are various grades so get the bigger bubbles for the Loco boxes bottom and tops if possible, but good new stuff at least. I'd line the box, and have a layer between layers of the train boxes. The lining especially the bottom, not to forget the top, will also give some protection against water ingress Scared.
Thing is they're a bit short for most car set boxes so bigger cardboard boxes will have to be found for those, but I'm sure you have some already. The thin foam that you get in flatpack furniture packs between layers, would be a good alternative between layers of train boxes, if you can find where to get some. Obviously sorting them into even heights, would be advisable, heaviest type at the bottom. I would not fill a box/carton with locos, as it will get too heavy for the safety of the contents themselves and may damage the boxes on the bottom, so maybe wagen boxes from three layers up ! Also pack them reasonably tightly, movement is not good. Scared
Also for finding things later, where practical, sort items into type categories, I'm trying to do a bit of that now myself. IE, freight / passenger, Swiss / German, era's etc.
The packing ideas could apply to plastic boxes or crates as well, and offer better water protection, but they are usually not square, and not free, I have found Unsure
Another tip maybe to see if your shipping company offers to containerise items, in some sort of small portable container, which would keep all the train cartons and maybe some other items together.
Another idea maybe to rent a van and take all your train cartons somewhere and have them shrink wrapped together, say on a pallet for loading in the truck, and maybe store them in California or New York till you get permanent accommodation.

The logistics will take some thought, but I wouldn't leave an open car or van, unguarded, or a locked one either with my trains in, on a New York City street, much as I like the place. Scared

Good luck with all that and keep us posted on your adventure Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline michelvr  
#12 Posted : 17 October 2014 04:51:21(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello John,

Congratulations on the new job! Did you know Barrie, Ontario to New York City is only a eight and a half hour car drive, we'll be neighbours!

As mentioned in one of my first posts I sold my whole DC collection and I had to ship it to Montreal from Barrie, Ontario. After giving it a lot of though I decided to protect the collection for the move by doing some tests and the solution was to buy large plastic totes from Lowes, the ones that have the snap lids on them, around $15.00 each, I bought nine in total. This was to gaurentee that the container would not rip or tear like a cardboard box would. The best thing was that the train collection, locomotives, passenger cars and freight cars were placed wheels down in their original boxes and the fit was snug and tight, guaranteeing no movement in the totes. All empty spaces were filled with foam peanuts. Total cost around $150.00, worth every single penny because there was no damage to anything when they arrived in Montreal!

The buyer was also so happy because he did not have to find a solution to store his new collection, he also thanked me on a fantastic solution for protection his new collection.

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline foumaro  
#13 Posted : 17 October 2014 05:29:21(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
All the best for the new job,and generally the new life.You will live a big change,i wish this change have only possitive points for you.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#14 Posted : 17 October 2014 19:56:06(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the tips, and especially the well wishes for the new job! For those of you who are F1 fans, you may be excited to hear I'll be working for McLaren, heading up communications for the road cars and a bit of F1 in the America's region BigGrin Drool Cool Hence the job being worth moving across country for!

Glen- I was in bikes previously and I know exactly the sort of box you mention! If not outboard motor, some of the generator boxes could be easily procured out here. I'll start keeping an eye out!

Packing the trains will be a slow process, most are already in (their original marklin) boxes, but getting those packaged into larger cardboard ones will be a process no doubt...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 17 October 2014 20:20:05(UTC)
Webmaster

Woohoo!!! ThumpUp

I would also move for such a job... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Deborail  
#16 Posted : 18 October 2014 07:15:05(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Hi, I have moved my trains from UAE to Thailand, then to Cyprus and then a part of it from Cyprus to UAE and recently from UAE to Oman.

My opinion is that there is no danger for the trains during transit, if the trains are packed in their original boxes and the boxes are in good condition. I used to put the boxes in bubble plastic and inside smaller cartons, then into wooden cargo boxes 80 x 80 x 80 cm or so. The boxes should have wooden blocks on their bases so that they can easily fork lifted. They should also be padlocked with a key kept with the documents. I sent the trains by sea cargo along with my other belongings. The only difficult part is when the customs duty part of it comes into play and there, it can be expensive, so I always managed to reach an agreement with the clearing agents. If each and every item is to be examined and duty paid, the cost would be prohibitive, so third world practices need to be employed. By this I mean you must give a reasonable amount to your clearing agent who will pay the official and unofficial fees to release the cargo.

A packing list should also be included but don't have too many details that could be googled by the customs officials to know the real value. I used to write toy trains 1, toy trains 2, etc. on all items. Always emphasize that these are toys to minimize customs duty.

Additionally, although you may well be tempted to use a professional re-locations agency, please note that these guys play by the book, and you will end up paying more and of course the right customs duty. You need a small weasly company who will work with you (for a fee) to get your items out as cheaply as possible. Cargo clearing agents are not going to end up in Paradise in the after life, that's all I can say.

In Thailand for example I paid 21,000 THB to get my items cleared and transported from the port to my residence. All costs were itemised in the Bill, except the bribe. (7,000) THB.

The sea transport is not the difficult part. You can even track the movement of the vessel. The hard part is customs clearance at the arrival port.
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Deborail
Offline Deborail  
#17 Posted : 18 October 2014 07:19:39(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
I just noticed that you will move across the USA, so there is no customs...Then no worries, it is easy. Just pack them well and send them by a reputable cargo forwarding agency....Surface cargo would be cheap and best.
George

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Deborail
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 18 October 2014 12:34:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the tips guys- keep them coming!

I forgot to mention that the mover is a personal friend, and gets the importance of our train treasures. (and he models european N scale) So we are secure in shipping company, and they will be going in a sprinter van. At this phase its a matter of sourcing strong boxes, and some sort of impact-resistant lining for them before placing the trains inside... The good news is I have some time to research and experiment

PS Mike- you aren't too far away so maybe we can finally grab that coffee at some point!

For strong boxes look at document archive boxes. These are designed to carry lots of paper, and so should be suitable for holding stock and locomotives, with no problem stacking boxes to 4-5 high.
Offline Deborail  
#19 Posted : 25 October 2014 07:46:03(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
I believe I purchased one set from you (the OP) some years ago, it was a set of marklin PFE cars (3 cars) please correct me if I am wrong, you sent them to me in Dubai at the time.
George

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Deborail
Offline hxmiesa  
#20 Posted : 28 October 2014 09:10:18(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
In 1999 I moved all my furnitures and the train-collection from Denmark to Spain. In distance it might be a lot shorter than your relocation, but culturally the distance is probably bigger...

I think the most important details have already been mentioned; Keep rolling stock in original boxes.
I took out a separate insurrance for the transfer. I moved all my stuff via normal truck transport packet delivery, instead of furniture movers.
Once carefully boxed, I fitted everything on to standard size palets. That cost me about a 1/10th of what the "normal" furniture movers asked for...
I took the most valuvable items with me personally, in my own car.
The move went well, and no train-material was damaged/lost.

BTW: I almost forgot; Good luck with your new job. I´m sure that you will soon bring us up to "speed", ahem... hehe
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline hxmiesa  
#21 Posted : 28 October 2014 09:23:59(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Deborail Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have moved my trains from UAE to Thailand, then to Cyprus and then a part of it from Cyprus to UAE and The only difficult part is when the customs duty part of it comes into play and there, it can be expensive, so I always managed to reach an agreement with the clearing agents. If each and every item is to be examined and duty paid, the cost would be prohibitive, so third world practices need to be employed. By this I mean you must give a reasonable amount to your clearing agent who will pay the official and unofficial fees to release the cargo.

Wow, interresting story! ;-) Thanks for sharing!

The borders and duties between inter-european countries in 1999 (when I moved) was almost free (because of ongoing euroopean integration). Luckily I didnt have any problems. As my stuff had to be unloaded by forklift, and no forklift was available at the destination, I paid a handling fee right from the start. -But that didnt stop the spanish agent from trying to charge me again for bringing the forklift. Luckily for me, my soon-to-be spanish wife handled that matter (I didnt speak spanish then), and the agent had to make the trip twice (second time WITH forklift), at no additional cost for me. ;-)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#22 Posted : 30 October 2014 05:13:59(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks George and Henrik! All helpful info, and thankfully no bribing customs is needed!

I will be sourcing appropriate boxes to pack them in, probably over the Thanksgiving and christmas holidays. That part will take some time, but from there they should be good to load up and head east.

I'll update in a few months when the move happens!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Nielsenr  
#23 Posted : 30 October 2014 17:52:13(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
John,

U-Haul stores sell what appear to be strong boxes of different sizes. You might want to check them out ...

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Webmaster  
#24 Posted : 04 November 2014 18:08:43(UTC)
Webmaster

And now it's officially official... BigGrin

http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/release/278/
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline jvuye  
#25 Posted : 04 November 2014 18:53:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

It's always a proud moment when you see one of your friends move up like this!
Godspeed John!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Jay  
#26 Posted : 04 November 2014 19:48:24(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

It's always a proud moment when you see one of your friends move up like this!
Godspeed John!

John,my best wishes go to you also.
Congratulations Love
Jay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline kiwiAlan  
#27 Posted : 04 November 2014 19:56:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

And now we can expect a wagon with McLaren advertising - to be distributed through Marklin-users of course?

Congratulations on your new position John.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#28 Posted : 04 November 2014 22:20:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Congratulations on your new job ThumpUp

Best advice from me: Don't use DHL:

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline petestra  
#29 Posted : 04 November 2014 22:38:31(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Gee, I wonder if anything was marked "Fragile"? Makes you wonder, no? Peter Scared
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#30 Posted : 05 November 2014 00:22:57(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Blushing Blushing Blushing Thanks guys! Its certainly a dream come true BigGrin
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline NZMarklinist  
#31 Posted : 05 November 2014 03:48:28(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
So what model McLaren are you having as your drive car ?? Drool Love BigGrin
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#32 Posted : 05 November 2014 08:00:37(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Congratulations John! If you decide to sell some, it might make it easier Blink
Glenn
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#33 Posted : 05 November 2014 16:37:39(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bahn-an-arama Go to Quoted Post
Congratulations John! If you decide to sell some, it might make it easier Blink

Ha! No more selling. Very true I should, but I already cleared out quite a bit this year anticipating the move. That being said, if space is minimal once I move I may be forced to cut back more, but the plan for now is to avoid that :)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline kiwiAlan  
#34 Posted : 07 November 2014 12:46:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Congratulations on your new job ThumpUp

Best advice from me: Don't use DHL:

Per.

Cool

Trouble is all my Lokshop shipping to the UK comes by DHL ... Crying

However they claim to have successfully delivered my Br05 003 ... BigGrin

Now how long will it take the internal company logistics to get it to my desk ??? Angry