Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2014 03:29:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin has announced a new model of a Re 4/4II TEE along with three coach sets which will allow modellers to recreate the TEE "Helvetia".
The Re 4/4II TEE has already been released by Maerklin as 37343 (11161) and Trix as 22744. Trix also released a model as 22148 (11250).
As opposed to the earlier model, the new model will have LED lights, sounds and additional functions.
The Swiss Crest will be correctly positioned in the beige section between the handrail and the red section.
The earlier models had the Crest positioned incorrectly bridging the beige and red sections. This improvement is offset if, as mentioned, the Crest will be an applied decal rather than molded into the loco shell.

As far as the coaches, I have been trying to figure out the prototypical consist. From what I recall, the train consisted of 4 or 5 coaches (71/72). At some point, the train ran together with the TEE "Arbalete" for the Zurich-Basel stretch and in other schedules, the train ran along with a few coaches that later joined the TEE "Rembrandt" (Munich to Amsterdam).

If the crest is an applied decal, that would constitute a deal killer for me. I am still considering whether I want to order the 43854 4-coach set and the 43856 diner to recreate the basic 5 coach consist that I remember.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 08 March 2015 19:17:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2014 19:06:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Yesterday, I saw the first listing of the 37349 on ebay.de. Today, the listing was revised to include a photo of the actual locomotive. A second listing has also appeared.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...eu-in-OVP-/271623489373?
Here is the image direct link: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/M...UIAAOSwfcVULRm6/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/M...UIAAOSwfcVULRm6/$_57.JPG
Link posted instead of photo because I do not have permission to post the photo

The Swiss Crest is simply printed on the front of the locomotive. The photo also does not clearly show the border between the red and beige painted sections. On some of the earlier models, the top of the red was darker than the rest and in some cases, was not perfectly levelled.

Based on this photo, I am standing by my decision to hold off on this locomotive and proceed only with the acquisition of the 5 coaches mentioned above.

If you don't have a Maerklin Re 4/4II TEE, I still recommend this model. If you have the 37343/22744 or 22148, unless you want the new features, this loco is not a must.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 02 October 2014 23:45:54(UTC)  | Reason: Added Image and URL tags

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2014 19:15:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the intel mike. My 37343 is safe! I'm debating the cars for my HAG equivalent, but I've got that one matched to the inox TEE set (down to the road number)

The problem of course is I want the animated sound dining car!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2014 21:22:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't have 37343, so 37349 is on my list. I might get the restaurant car with digital functions, but will most likely pass up on the other coaches. I already have the TEE Bavaria set, which ran from Munich to Zurich, so that will make a nice match for this loco.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2014 23:54:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I don't have 37343, so 37349 is on my list. I might get the restaurant car with digital functions, but will most likely pass up on the other coaches. I already have the TEE Bavaria set, which ran from Munich to Zurich, so that will make a nice match for this loco.

The Re 4/4II was not used on the Munich-Zurich route. It was used on the following routes:

Basel-Luzern-Gotthard-Chiasso (TEE Roland) (DB TEE coaches)
Basel-Zurich-Basel (TEE Helvetia) (DB TEE coaches)
Basel-Zurich-Basel (TEE Arbalete) (SNCF Mistral 56 later also Mistral 69 coaches)
Geneva-Lausanne-Brig-Domodossola (TEE Lemano) (FS TEE coaches)
Vallorbe-Lausanne-Brig-Domodossola (TEE Cisalpin) (SNCF Mistral 69 coaches)

*At one point, the TEE Helvetia and TEE Arbalete were run together

The Re 4/4II was not used on the TEE Rheingold route (Basel-Geneva-Basel)

If you want to maximize the digital functions, I would recommend that you opt for the 4 coach set and the digital restaurant which will allow you to control the lights in all the coaches.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 03 October 2014 02:15:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The Re 4/4II was not used on the Munich-Zurich route.

Oh well, there's always the 'fantasy train' excuse!

Thanks for the advice re the 4 car set, that is always an option!

Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 03 October 2014 08:49:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Hi David,

Perhaps in your "world" the Re4/4 II was transfered to other routes, or the Bavaria coaches were used to deputise for Helvetia coaches which had been withdrawn....

With deference to Mike, who is a fountain of immense knowledge on European train compositions, I think that we can "bend" reality on our layouts as much as we want, after all, the whole hobby is about fantasy, is it not? We don't actually need our trains to carry little people from one room to another, or empty plastic freight containers on an endless run through a maze of tunnels and bridges that would confound the most ambitious civil engineer! BigGrin

I like to think of my trains as being a representation of reality, not a perfect facimile of it, scaled down 87 times. Therefore I have no problem with anonymous TEE coaches being used to represent any TEE service, or locomotives being used on trains they were never actually seen on, provided it "looks about right".

I'm not trying to undermine Mike here. For those who want exact train compositions there is no better advocate, and I would not dream of questioning his advice on what loco pulled which coaches, on what line and at what time. However, I have a rather more relaxed way of enjoying the hobby, and I understand completely those who have similar views.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 03 October 2014 09:33:58(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Very nice set that Märklin is offering here, and of course I have it on order , but minus the Re 4/4 II

I already have **3** Re4/4 II in TEE colors (2 HAGs and 1 Märklin) , and although I know the Swiss Coat of arms is misplaced on all of these...I'll still pass on the latest one.

Besides if one likes the idea, it could be run as a TEE Roland which was using a similar composition. (I can't read the fine print on the destination boards anyway! Wink Laugh RollEyes )

As for the joint running of the Helvetia (4 DB TEE coaches, including the salon car ) and the Arbalete (3 SNCF Mistral 69 coaches, including the generator car) between Basel and Zurich, there is ample documentation of this somewhat unusual composition.

BTW, there was a precedent by the SBB before WW II: pulled by an Ae 4/7, they were running a joint composition of DR "Rheingold" coaches + CIWL "Edelweiss" Pulmanns between Basel and (I think??) Geneva

This all makes for interesting and unusual trains...but I am now squarely off topic!Blushing BigGrin

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2014 20:11:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
37349 is on ebay.de today.

>EBAY 37349<
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2014 21:09:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
37349 is on ebay.de today.

>EBAY 37349<

Thanks for the information Steven. If you look a little higher, you will see that I posted similar information in Post #2

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2014 21:19:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Hi David,

Perhaps in your "world" the Re4/4 II was transfered to other routes, or the Bavaria coaches were used to deputise for Helvetia coaches which had been withdrawn....

With deference to Mike, who is a fountain of immense knowledge on European train compositions, I think that we can "bend" reality on our layouts as much as we want, after all, the whole hobby is about fantasy, is it not? We don't actually need our trains to carry little people from one room to another, or empty plastic freight containers on an endless run through a maze of tunnels and bridges that would confound the most ambitious civil engineer! BigGrin

I like to think of my trains as being a representation of reality, not a perfect facimile of it, scaled down 87 times. Therefore I have no problem with anonymous TEE coaches being used to represent any TEE service, or locomotives being used on trains they were never actually seen on, provided it "looks about right".

I'm not trying to undermine Mike here. For those who want exact train compositions there is no better advocate, and I would not dream of questioning his advice on what loco pulled which coaches, on what line and at what time. However, I have a rather more relaxed way of enjoying the hobby, and I understand completely those who have similar views.

I am not feeling undermined. I am simply providing information. What you choose to do with that information is totally up to you.
Each person's situation is different. I have the Bavaria Set with the Swiss diner. I also have the Trix 23477 12-coach Roland Set which represents the consist as found during the German and Swiss/Italian segments of the run. Those are just my 1/93 models. I also have a large assortment of 1/100 and 1/87 TEE/IC coaches.

The new thing (for the past few years) is for the manufacturer's to include printed destination signs, car numbers, etc in the belief that this will spur additional sales. Some people collect consists, others are happy just having coaches that can stand in for any particular train. Back when I had the 4095-4099 and 4153, those coaches were the Roland one day, the Helvetia the next, the Rheingold the day after and so on.

We had the same debate about when some companies started putting drivers in Cab A of a loco and some wondered about how that looked when the loco reversed and pulled the train from the other end (with the driver in the cab facing the train). Today, with all the push-pull consists, you can have the driver always at the right end (when pulling) but is this a detail that needs to be included? I would be happy with nice interior details without the driver. My locos don't always run slider end first.

In any case, back to the TEE train. I decided to order the 4 coach set and the dining coach with digital control because it has lights and digital effects. I wonder how funny it is going to look to have a five coach train that only has a handful of figures in the diner and wonder how often grease fires/flare ups occur, not to mention why a waiter greeting diners can be heard from a km away from the track, but I digress.

Enjoy your trains and do whatever you want to do with them. It's all good ;)

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 05 October 2014 17:53:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi all,

Have you advance order the 37349 and 43866? Both are sold out at factory.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline vilithejou  
#13 Posted : 05 October 2014 18:24:30(UTC)
vilithejou

Hi all,

Have you advance order the 37349 and 43866? Both are sold out at factory.

I order all train... the four items
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 07 October 2014 06:30:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here are a set of photos showing the Roco, Hag and Maerklin Re 4/4II TEE. The new model has a printed on Swiss Crest rather than one that was included in the mould on the original 37343/22744/22148. The Roco and Hag models have separately applied crests. Only the Roco has it correctly positioned in the beige painted section right under the railing.

Regards

Mike C

Photos 1 and 2:
From Left to Right" Roco 78401, Maerklin 37343, Hag 216

Photo 3: Maerklin 37343 with white LEDs
Photo 4: Roco 78401 with the correctly positioned crest and raised lettering
Photo 5: Hag 216

I would appreciate if somebody who receives their 37349 could post a photo showing the crest in detail.

Regards

Mike C
mike c attached the following image(s):
78401-37343-216.jpg
78401-37343-216 2.jpg
37343 11161.jpg
78401 11158 TEE.jpg
216 11159.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 07 October 2014 06:38:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Both are sold out at factory.

Marklin Product Database shows yellow status for 37349 - "Article temporarily not in stock" and for 43866 "Article not yet in stock."
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 07 October 2014 06:49:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Based on the size of the railing of the Maerklin model, I understand why they had to reduce the size of the crest so that it could fit in the beige coloured segment of the locomotive face. The only way to solve the issue on the Maerklin and Hag models would be to remove the handrail support in the centre of the locomotive face so that the crest could in fact slide up almost underneath the handrail. Photos that I have seen of the 37349 show that the model still has the central support for the railing, so there would not be enough space for a full size crest to be properly placed on the front. Maerklin could have decided to add a slightly smaller crest to the mould, as they are unlikely to need more models without crest in the future, other than for an additional Crossrail lok or a reissue of the 34345 which I would find unlikely. Based on this, I don't think that a HRF or Hag Swiss Crest could be applied to the locomotive and remain fully in the beige segment.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 07 October 2014 06:54:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

Marklin Product Database shows yellow status for 37349 - "Article temporarily not in stock" and for 43866 "Article not yet in stock."

I have seen other reports that the 37349 is sold out at the factory. I could not find any reference to a limited production, so there is nothing preventing Maerklin from producing an additional batch to meet demand. As far as the dining car, it was suggested that the original run had already been spoken for. In neither case does this mean that dealers won't have models available, as not every item ordered is pre-sold and many will still be available after release.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 07 October 2014 07:55:00(UTC)
H0

They say that MHI series articles are made exclusively for MHI dealers based on the pre-orders coming from the dealers.
So by definition they have to be "sold out" at the factory before the first item is made.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 07 October 2014 10:01:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was just looking through some photos from the interweb and noticed that one photo appears to show a Re 4/4II TEE (11251) with a ARDm Dome car. The only TEE in Switzerland that had the dome car was the Rheingold, so this would appear to confirm that a Re 4/4II TEE was indeed used to pull that train on at least one occasion.

The photo can be found here: http://www.railfaneurope...e4_4_II/TEE/sbb11251.jpg

I had looked at the photo many times, but the presence of the dome car escaped me. According to the description, the photo was taken southeast of Basel in 1974.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 07 October 2014 11:00:42(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I got message that my order 37349 is now shipping.
Offline vilithejou  
#21 Posted : 07 October 2014 11:09:21(UTC)
vilithejou

Mine is on dealer...
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vilithejou
Offline grnwtrs  
#22 Posted : 07 October 2014 18:21:31(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

I am still waiting for these items to appear as "NEW ITEMS 2014"
I guess my dealers have never heard of them YET? Mad

Somehow I missed out on hearing of this lok and sets.
Just how did they come about. Export items? Confused

Regards,
gene
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 07 October 2014 21:45:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post
Just how did they come about.

They were announced as New Items for Fall 2014.

http://www.maerklin.com/...s/catalog_downloads.html

Download the 'Märklin Fall New items 2014' Catalog.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bart  
#24 Posted : 08 October 2014 14:23:38(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
37349 versus 37343 pics.

The crest is absolutely flat (decal or paint).
Not many other differences on the outside with 37343 except for the warm white leds

I like the light options: 3white/1white, 3white/1red, cab1 off, cab2 off, triple red warning signal.
It even has long distance headlights (apparently, standard headlight led operated at higher voltage).
Are long distance headlights prototypical in the single round headlight version?
Bart attached the following image(s):
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg
*Bart
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline steventrain  
#25 Posted : 08 October 2014 15:19:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for showing the pictures Bart, I hope mine soon.
Offline mike c  
#26 Posted : 08 October 2014 20:30:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Bart,

Thank you very much for the head-on photo and the photo of the 37349 next to the 37343. From that angle, it does not look as bad as some of the earlier photos used for ebay listings.
Being able to see the two models next to each other, it became evident that the SBB CFF lettering on the new model is a little higher than on the original model. As I already have four Re 4/4II TEE (2 MaTrix, 1 Roco and 1 Hag), I am still wavering on whether I need this model.

Regards

Mike C
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#27 Posted : 08 October 2014 23:51:38(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Question for you guys- does anyone know if the cars in the TEE 26557 Bavaria set with SBB RE 4/4I are 1:100 or 1:93? Mine is buried, and I'm wanting the sound diner to match up with that set if they are the same length!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 08 October 2014 23:59:49(UTC)
H0

The coaches in the 26557 set are 1:93.5.
The new diner is 1:97.5 (the new items brochure incorrectly states 1:93.5).
All models have the same length (28.2 cm), but the German prototype diner is longer than the coaches (27.5 m versus 26.4 m).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#29 Posted : 09 October 2014 07:10:12(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The coaches in the 26557 set are 1:93.5.
The new diner is 1:97.5 (the new items brochure incorrectly states 1:93.5).
All models have the same length (28.2 cm), but the German prototype diner is longer than the coaches (27.5 m versus 26.4 m).

Thanks Tom! I may need to place an order then...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline steventrain  
#30 Posted : 10 October 2014 12:21:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline steventrain  
#31 Posted : 10 October 2014 12:23:18(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline steventrain  
#32 Posted : 10 October 2014 12:25:32(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mike c  
#33 Posted : 19 October 2014 02:40:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Some photos have been posted in the Stummi Forum, showing some issues that have been reported with the model
http://www.punktkontakt.de/misc/37349f.jpg
Provided as a link because I do not have the right to post the photo here.
The blue arrows point to flaws that were reported. In my opinion, the missing black paint on the rim of the side window is probably from rubbing against the inner liner or padding.
The dividing line between red and beige which can also be seen in Bart's and Steventrain's photos is very noticeable in some models, but this is nothing new. If you look at my earlier photos, you will see my photo of the 37343 (above) has it as well to an extent.
You would think that with over 50 years of making TEE models (RAm, VT605, 103, 120, 112, Re 4/4II) that Maerklin would have learned how to paint a locomotive or coach without having this overlap. I understand that it both colours have to be applied to a metal model, but it seems that the right way would be to paint the beige and then add the red to it rather than having the red painted on and then the beige painted over it, leaving this visible transition.
The Stummi topic and more photos can be found here:
http://www.stummiforum.d...mp;t=114894&start=25

I have all of the Maerklin Re 4/4II, including the Trix 22148 TEE model that was not available in AC, with the exception of the 37342 set (wrong handrails on the locomotive ends) and already having two Re 4/4II TEE, I am passing on this one.

I do hope that Roco delivers the announced new edition of their Re 4/4II without the aluminum coloured roof sections, which will mean that there will finally be a model that has everything the way I recall the original looking like. My recollection of these locos was from 1971-1972 and most of the locos were from the 1969 batch (11158-11161) so I did not see one fresh from the factory, which may have had aluminum roof parts at the time.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#34 Posted : 21 October 2014 22:38:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I thought that I would post some additional photo links for the 37343/22744 and 22148 models.
It is clear that the beige paint was applied first and the red paint was applied next. There is a slightly darker strip at the top edge of the red, but it is far less visible than the strip where you can clearly see the beige painted over the red in the new 37349 model.

37343/22744: http://www.ct-railways.d...ix/22744/22744_pic04.jpg
22148: http://www.ct-railways.d...ix/22148/22148_pic04.jpg
37349 (ebay): http://i.ebayimg.com/t/M...PEAAOSw6EhURV3t/$_57.JPG
Full listing link: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...mfx-sound-/371169242925?

The link for the 37349 might not work for some. Try opening it in a new tab/window (right click).
I suppose that the ct-railways.de site will at some point post a photo of the new model too.
I provided only the links because I do not have the right to post those photos.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#35 Posted : 21 October 2014 22:48:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
While looking at the ct-railways site, it occurred to me that they could not have simply used the same shell as the 37346.01 Crossrail Re 436 because that model had the UIC steps, railings and connections, so they would have had to adapt the model to use it for the 37349. This suggests that work was performed in the production of the shell mould and that it would not have taken much extra effort to remove the middle support for the window handrail and reposition the Swiss crest prototypically higher. This was not a simple re-use of an existing mould with a new livery, as had been the case with the 37342 (with the 37345 handrails).

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#36 Posted : 22 October 2014 09:29:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Beautiful photos of a great model, Stephen. ThumpUp
Ray
Offline mike c  
#37 Posted : 22 October 2014 17:55:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Ray,

I hope that other people whose models have more visible flaws are as happy about their models as Stephen is about his.
Like my experience with the 37347, it is possible that not all models were affected to the same degree. Reportedly, the first batch of 37347 were delivered with complete wiring and it was only the second production that was missing a pair of wires between one of the LED panels and the decoder board.
Stephen's model seems to look better than a lot of the other ones that I have seen in photos. It may be a question of lighting (in the photo) or the beige paint might be a little thicker on some models, making the red underneath a little less visible than on some other models.
Given that I already have two Re 4/4II TEE from Maerklin and one each from Hag and Roco, I decided to pass on this model. Having seen the visible imperfections, I am not having second thoughts about my decision.
For somebody who does not have the 37343 or 22148 (converted), I can understand that there might be more interest in this model. All that I can recommend is not to buy this model sight unseen, but to make sure that your model is not severely affected (red/beige division, side windows and roof) before you buy it.
I have seen a few 37343/22744/22148 on European ebay if people want a Maerklin alternative to the new locomotive.

Regards

Mike C
Offline NZMarklinist  
#38 Posted : 23 October 2014 11:13:02(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

I have been having similar thoughts, so Tom how would that new dining car look for scale with the 42991 Helvetia Set which IIRC is 1/100 ?
I have it and the 42990 ! Might have to put LED lights in those Coaches though
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline kiwiAlan  
#39 Posted : 23 October 2014 15:51:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well, whatever you do, don't try ordering the Speisewagon using the catalogue number given in the English version of the Train Stories brochure that came with the Insider magazine. In there the page showing the Speisewagon has the catalogue number for last years Sleeping Car ... Blushing

Someone didn't check after doing the copy and paste of the format from last years Train Stories brochure ... LOL

The correct catalogue number for the Speisewagon is used on other pages in the brochure, just not on the page showing the wagon itself Blushing

Can someone check the German version of the Train Stories brochure to see if the same has happened their?

P.S. the Speisewagon is listed as 28.3cm, so I think that is the same length as the 42990/1/3/4 Helvetia/Sudwind cars.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#40 Posted : 23 October 2014 17:53:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Well, whatever you do, don't try ordering the Speisewagon using the catalogue number given in the English version of the Train Stories brochure that came with the Insider magazine. In there the page showing the Speisewagon has the catalogue number for last years Sleeping Car ... Blushing

Someone didn't check after doing the copy and paste of the format from last years Train Stories brochure ... LOL

Yes I notice the error in Train stories!
Offline H0  
#41 Posted : 23 October 2014 18:11:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!
P.S. the Speisewagon is listed as 28.3cm, so I think that is the same length as the 42990/1/3/4 Helvetia/Sudwind cars.
No, those older coaches are 26.4 or 27.0 cm or maybe 27.5 cm (which is 1:100 or 1:97 or 1:105).
So the new coach in 1:97 might be a good match. I'd avoid having models with different lengths of the same prototype in one train.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#42 Posted : 23 October 2014 18:16:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Ray,

I hope that other people whose models have more visible flaws are as happy about their models as Stephen is about his.
Like my experience with the 37347, it is possible that not all models were affected to the same degree. Reportedly, the first batch of 37347 were delivered with complete wiring and it was only the second production that was missing a pair of wires between one of the LED panels and the decoder board.
Stephen's model seems to look better than a lot of the other ones that I have seen in photos. It may be a question of lighting (in the photo) or the beige paint might be a little thicker on some models, making the red underneath a little less visible than on some other models.
Given that I already have two Re 4/4II TEE from Maerklin and one each from Hag and Roco, I decided to pass on this model. Having seen the visible imperfections, I am not having second thoughts about my decision.
For somebody who does not have the 37343 or 22148 (converted), I can understand that there might be more interest in this model. All that I can recommend is not to buy this model sight unseen, but to make sure that your model is not severely affected (red/beige division, side windows and roof) before you buy it.
I have seen a few 37343/22744/22148 on European ebay if people want a Maerklin alternative to the new locomotive.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike,

Stephen's loco looks fine to me. I only noticed the dividing line in the paint when you pointed it out, and at normal viewing distance it looks invisible, at least in Stephen's photos.

I would be happy with this loco, but I have no plans to buy it as I have enough Swiss locos at the moment, and already own an Re4/4 II in green. At some point I might add a Re 4/4 I, missing from my collection. One in TEE colours would be great!

Ray
Online PJMärklin  
#43 Posted : 24 October 2014 09:19:59(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Ray,

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike,

Stephen's loco looks fine to me. I only noticed the dividing line in the paint when you pointed it out, and at normal viewing distance it looks invisible, at least in Stephen's photos.

I would be happy with this loco, but I have no plans to buy it as I have enough Swiss locos at the moment, and already own an Re4/4 II in green. At some point I might add a Re 4/4 I, missing from my collection. One in TEE colours would be great!

Hello Ray,

The missing link ??

(kindly ex Nev)

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

Offline RayF  
#44 Posted : 24 October 2014 10:58:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
No please, don't tempt me! My budget is spent!

OK, maybe in 2015? BigGrin

Thanks (and to Nev) for a lovely photo, BTW
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MarioFabro  
#45 Posted : 26 October 2014 14:15:50(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I missed out on 37349. Any opinion wether it will be available in the 2015 catalogue again? I am trying to order it online but can't find it at Lokshop nor Lippe.

Mario
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline steventrain  
#46 Posted : 26 October 2014 14:24:06(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MarioFabro Go to Quoted Post
I missed out on 37349. Any opinion wether it will be available in the 2015 catalogue again? I am trying to order it online but can't find it at Lokshop nor Lippe.

Mario

Have you check out on ebay?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#47 Posted : 26 October 2014 14:33:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MarioFabro Go to Quoted Post

Mario

Modellbahn Kramm still show it, and they are notorious (in my experience) for removing an item once sold out. Also still have the dining car.

Offline H0  
#48 Posted : 26 October 2014 14:50:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Yesterday I placed the dining coach from the Bavaria set 43859 between two coaches from the Südwind set. The lengths are different (28.2 cm vs 27 cm), but the scale is nearly the same (1:97,5 vs 1:97.8). The shorter coaches have larger windows in the doors, probably a bit oversized.
But apart from that I didn't notice any oddities.
Don't look at the train destination boards or the revision dates if you mix the new dining coach 43866 with those old coaches.

I don't have 43866, nor do I have 42990 or 42991.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Unholz  
#49 Posted : 26 October 2014 19:57:01(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
My recollection of these locos was from 1971-1972 and most of the locos were from the 1969 batch (11158-11161) so I did not see one fresh from the factory, which may have had aluminum roof parts at the time.

I'm not quite sure about the colours of the roof itself and the design and colour of the roof vents (there might be something wrong on the Marklin model in this respect), but one (correct!) minor detail visible on Stephen's pictures certainly impresses me:

The small inscriptions Ue Ge 21.12.72 and Réc Ge 21.12.72 next to the right cab entrance refer to the delivery/take-over (Uebernahme in German and réception in French) date plus the fact that these locos were delivered by SAAS in Geneva (Société des Ateliers de Sécheron), the smallest of the three companies regularly commissioned by the SBB to supply the electrical equipment of their locos.

In those good old days, we mostly saw new locos arriving with inscriptions such as "Ue Oer ..."/"Réc Oer ..." (meaning the MFO works at Zurich Oerlikon). However (and this is sort of a quiz question for the most knowledgeable readers), what did "Ue Mst ..." or "Réc Mst ..." stand for? Wink Mike C will probably know the answer... ThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline jvuye  
#50 Posted : 26 October 2014 22:48:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
[ what did "Ue Mst ..." or "Réc Mst ..." stand for? Wink Mike C will probably know the answer... ThumpUp

Mst=Mehrfachsteuerung ?

Weren't some of these loco delivered in batches, coupled as multiple units?

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!