Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marcus 38  
#1 Posted : 08 October 2014 08:58:56(UTC)
marcus 38

New Zealand   
Hi there,
Ive just joined so expect this subject has been discussed before, so please bear with me , I have just bought my dream Marklin models ST800 & DL 800 both need boxes + 3025 which does have its original box , along with a whole bunch of older models SK800 , 3026 ,3027, F800.TM800,334, etc etc all which would suit the earlier style boxes.

Can any one help where to get them

If Marklin doesn't want to make them themselves mores the pity, they are not keeping up with what the market wants, I'm into old classic cars and more and more companies are realizing the importance of the old school customer who wants to maintain his collections but doesn't mind the modification if done discreetly , EG "Aston Martin Loganda" have really embraced the old cars setting up a completely new division restoring the older models and supplying new Old parts , why does marklin do more of this ??

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards Marcus
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 08 October 2014 09:28:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline kweekalot  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2014 09:53:18(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Welcome Markus.

I have moved your post to the right place.

You can buy the red replika boxes and the light blue illustrated replika boxes on German ebay. (ebay.de)

In the past we had a thread about replika boxes, see here: LINK

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2014 10:24:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
There have been other threads as well, including one on how to make your own replica 50's/60's style red boxes.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2014 10:32:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think this may have been what I was thinking of - not marklin-users.net, but very useful regardless.

http://www.3rotaie.it/3r...tola_Replica.htm#English
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2014 10:32:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi and welcome to the forum Marcus.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kweekalot  
#7 Posted : 08 October 2014 10:33:47(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Dave, maybe this thread here ? LINK 2
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2014 11:04:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yeah, I saw that thread but that wasn't it. I had it in my mind that there were pictures of the boxes being made, so I think the post on 3rotaire is what I was looking for.

BTW, welcome to the forum Marcus. I recognise your userid from Trademe.
Offline Mark_1602  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2014 14:20:49(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: marcus 38 Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,
Ive just joined so expect this subject has been discussed before, so please bear with me , I have just bought my dream Marklin models ST800 & DL 800 both need boxes + 3025 which does have its original box , along with a whole bunch of older models SK800 , 3026 ,3027, F800.TM800,334, etc etc all which would suit the earlier style boxes.

Can any one help where to get them

If Marklin doesn't want to make them themselves mores the pity, they are not keeping up with what the market wants, I'm into old classic cars and more and more companies are realizing the importance of the old school customer who wants to maintain his collections but doesn't mind the modification if done discreetly , EG "Aston Martin Loganda" have really embraced the old cars setting up a completely new division restoring the older models and supplying new Old parts , why does marklin do more of this ??

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the forum. From what you write I gather that you collect vintage Marklin models, like me. Well, model trains can't be compared to oldtimer cars at all. Collectors of vintage cars (I suppose you mean the prototypes, not model toy cars) accept restoration, repainting, etc. because they want to drive them. No car will run without spare parts or repainting for decades, and there are hardly any oldtimers that are still in original condition as well as roadworthy now.

For old model trains, original condition is the most important factor of all. The original box together with the wrapping paper (or cardboard) plus the instruction manual do not guarantee that a locomotive is genuine, but they influence the price a lot. Even seemingly insignificant details like plastic traction tires and old-style pickup shoes on Marklin models from the 1950s show you whether the locomotive has been tampered with or not.
Marklin can't and won't make replica boxes because they are illegal forgeries. Such boxes do not increase the value of your locomotives by one cent. Sellers like the Italian Lucatoni, who offers replica boxes on Ebay.de, probably make those boxes cheaply and them sell them at prices of between 40 and 80 euros.
It's not true that the 'market' wants those boxes. Real collectors despise them. I once got a 3061/4061 UP in fake boxes and sent the stuff back to the seller immediately. Those boxes are worthless, and buying them is a waste of money. Only Lucatoni benefits from the sale. Should collectors encourage and support forgers like that man? I don't think so.

Congratulations on your new acquisitions, but you should look for original boxes on Ebay.de and ask the sellers if they will ship to New Zealand. It can be done, especially for the more common models you list, such as 3026 or 3027, probably also for the F800. If you find an original box that was more or less produced in the same year as the locomotive, you have a perfect match, and the value of that set will be higher than what you originally paid for the two items. This way YOU benefit as a collector, not some kind of forger. I did that for the well-known Capitole locomotive. First I found a genuine 3059 box, then a near-mint 3059.1 that was cheaper because the seller didn't have the real box. I just had to put the locomotive into the box and add an instruction manual that I also found on Ebay.de. Now other collectors would want that Capitole as well, but I won't sell it. Collecting is hard work.
With a little patience you can also find authentic instuction manuals for the more common models, all on Ebay.de. If you're not sure about whether the stuff is authentic or fake, you may ask me. I can usually tell if I see XXL photos. There are lots of fake boxes on Ebay!!

I agree with you that Marklin should make some spare parts for old locomotives. But you see, from their point of view, you're not a customer if you buy vintage Marklin. They're only interested in MRRs who buy their new products, not in collectors like you and me.

Anyway, I can understand that you prefer the vintage models ... Good luck!

Regards, Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline kweekalot  
#10 Posted : 11 October 2014 15:43:35(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinClassics Go to Quoted Post
... Those boxes are worthless, and buying them is a waste of money ...

I don't agree.
Better to have a replika box then no box at all.

The counterfeiting of the red diamond boxes are done so good and sophisticated that only a a handful of experts can still recognize them.
Forum member LMS800 is one of the world's leading experts on these red diamond boxes.
He has written a detailed manual for German forums how to recognize original and replika boxes.
Maybe someone can ask him to make such an manual for M-users too.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Mark_1602  
#11 Posted : 11 October 2014 16:59:57(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi kweekalot,

You're right about the red boxes. The fakes are pretty good, but that's precisely why a locomotive without a box is better than the same item in a replica box: it has the same value but is cheaper. If the collector buys a replica box that is sold as an original, he wastes a lot of money, and he's been deceived. What's good about that? For common locomotives like 3026 or 3027, it's not very difficult to find an original box or document.

Most collectors exhibit their favourite models in glass cases anyway, which can be done without a box and doesn't cost anything. Obviously the best solution would be an old original box, but with the red boxes it's an uphill struggle. I once bought a red box on Ebay.de, but when I got it I could feel that there was something wrong. I thought the box was a bit small, so I asked other collectors about the measurements. The dimensions corresponded to the box of another Marklin model, and the number on the label had been changed. Fortunately I got my money back from the seller when I returned it. I mainly collect Marklin models from the 60s and 70s, so I don't usually have problems with red boxes.

Best regards,
Mark

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline seatrains  
#12 Posted : 11 October 2014 19:34:35(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Marcus, post photos of the boxes when you get or make some and your collection! There are many vintage Maerklin fans on this site!BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Renato  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2014 20:03:05(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Cheers

Renato
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 12 October 2014 01:34:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Welcome aboard Marcus, the Kiwi contingent is slowly growing. You'll find plenty here to keep your interest.

Regards

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Janne75  
#15 Posted : 12 October 2014 09:14:51(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the forum. I have bought some replica boxes for my future Crocodiles like lightblue box for 3015 and red box for CCS 800, but only for myself. I would never sell a loco with one of these. As it was too hard to find a good box for these items I then decided to get a good one looking almost like an original one to just have the boxes for the locos. I have also lightblue repro boxes for 3066, 3067 and 3068 Nohab diesels.

At the moment I still need to get the locos for those 3015, CCS 800 and 3067 boxes... BigGrin LOL

I have around 25 lightblue original boxes and three red 3021 boxes and one F800 box which are original. It is easy to see the difference in the red boxes (original vs. replica), but lightblue boxes are almost the same.

But I agree with Mark that the original boxes increase collectors value of the locos and repro boxes don't do that. I can live with the fact that I don't have the original boxes for these, but I would not want to support forgers. I feel it will save me many hundred euros though when I can buy locos without boxes cheaper now. Crocodiles prices increase rapidly when there is an original good condition box with it.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Mark_1602  
#16 Posted : 12 October 2014 14:32:11(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Janne,

I can definitely agree with you there. The replica boxes are ok for people who just want to have a matching box for themselves and are willing to pay the rather steep price. I asked my wife, who is not interested in trains, if she would get a replica box. She said that she would buy one, but she wouldn't spend more than 10 euros on it. Women are better money managers. :-)

By the way, one rather inexpensive but effective way to get authentic old boxes is to buy a crappy locomotive in a good box. Nobody will make a high bid in such an auction because the scratches on the locomotibve are too obvious, so you can get it cheaply and sell the crappy locomotive separately. I did that with the dark blue illustrated box of the old Santa Fe 3060.3. Back in the year 1970, Marklin started producing the 3060.3 with the Marklin logo on the left-hand side. At first, they packed them into light blue illustrated boxes printed in 1969, then they ordered the dark blue illustrated ones that were only made for a very short time around 1970. I bought a near-mint 3060.3 in a light blue box and a used one in a very good dark blue illustrated box. Both locomotives were produced in 1970, so I had a perfect match plus an original instruction manual and sold the stuff I didn't need to get some money back. Now I have a very nice 3060.3 in the rare dark blue box, but it didn't cost a lot.

You're right about the Crocodile boxes. I once had a 3015 box from the early 1970s that wasn't in very good condition, so I sold it on Ebay. It was torn, but I still got close to 50 euros! Crocodiles are too popular ... Usually I only buy locomotives that come with the matching original box.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 15 October 2014 13:57:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think it would be nice if Marklin made replica boxes, just like the originals, but with current dates on them so that they can't be passed off as originals.

Not everyone wants to pay big bucks for an original box in excellent condition, but a cheap box that looks the part is definitely better than no box at all. At least your nice old loco won't gather so much dust!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Mark_1602  
#18 Posted : 15 October 2014 15:16:50(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I think it would be nice if Marklin made replica boxes, just like the originals, but with current dates on them so that they can't be passed off as originals.

Not everyone wants to pay big bucks for an original box in excellent condition, but a cheap box that looks the part is definitely better than no box at all. At least your nice old loco won't gather so much dust!

Hi Ray,

That's not a bad idea, though Marklin would be reluctant to do it. If those replica boxes were cheaper than Lucatoni's fakes, which they would probably be, they could destroy his business. That might also solve or reduce the problem of fake boxes on Ebay, which really annoys collectors.
I have read that Lucatoni boxes are sometimes sold at large second-hand MRR markets in Western Europe, for example in the Netherlands. Apparently a crowd of people then gathers around the stall; a quarter of an hour later all the fake boxes have been sold, and the sellers disappear quickly. Maybe Marklin could make some money with marked replica boxes ...

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

Offline Dangermouse  
#19 Posted : 20 October 2014 16:28:52(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
You might want to be a bit careful throwing words like "forgery" or "fakes" about, as those could count as defamation of character or even libel.

Making replica items is completely legal, so long as you make it clear that they are such. The manufacturer of these boxes doesn't pretend that they're anything other than freshly-made replicas.

If someone sells you an item in a replica box but passes it off as original then they are the one committing fraud, not the person who sold them the box.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline Mark_1602  
#20 Posted : 20 October 2014 17:36:07(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

According to Koll's catalogue, Märklin has taken legal action against the sale of replica boxes in Germany, so that trade can't be legal. One thing I'm sure of is that the name 'Märklin' is a registered trade mark, so it cannot be used commercially without the company's permission, and the name of the brand is on the replica boxes. Even if those boxes are sold as replicas, it's still illegal to use the brand name. I suppose the illustrations on the blue boxes are also copyright.

I've tried to look up some information, and I've just found out that replica boxes were often sold at MRR markets (Tauschbörsen) in Germany in the 1980s and 1990s. Märklin took legal action back then, and the sale of those unauthorised items was banned by court order, at least in Germany. That's the same story Koll mentioned, so those boxes are officially forgeries.

Only Märklin could make legal replica boxes (if they wanted to). Those people who sell these boxes try to make perfect copies of Märklin boxes. Usually replica items are marked as such, but the Italian-made boxes aren't. They're not real Märklin items either, and the company's official position is that they're forgeries.

I can understand that some people buy them just to have a box, but those fake boxes really annoy collectors because they're usually passed off as real. If you buy an old collector's model in a red box, it's very hard to tell if the box is real. If Märklin made replica boxes stamped with a large 'R' on every side, the problem could be solved.

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. Here's the link where I found some information in German:

Originalkarton oder Replika
Best regards, Mark

Offline Dangermouse  
#21 Posted : 20 October 2014 18:24:39(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
That will be Marklin defending their trademarks, as they're legally obliged to if they want to keep them. Otherwise they'd also go after the people making replica parts for use in restorations (which are only made because Marklin's own stock dried up decades ago, and it'd make no sense whatsoever to tie up the factory making a pile of parts which might take years to sell). It's because the items have the Marklin logos on, not because they're replicas.

Personally I find the smaller products from "Really Useful Boxes" (yes, that is the name of the company!) are perfect, they make one which I think is intended for pencils but will hold anything up to a couple of 100cm coaches with space for a layer of bubble wrap either side and between them. My restored F800 lives in one with an inner tray made from crumpled and shaped brown paper.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#22 Posted : 21 October 2014 06:45:51(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Marklin boxes (original & reproduction alike) have always been an interest of mine. Some of my articles on my website and posts on the Marklin forums sparked a lot of discussion around the boxes, labels, stamps, tape, and packaging -- everything that originally was sold with the trains. There was a great amount of discussion on the topic and it was quite interesting. Wolf (LMS800) produced the German-language guide to Marklin boxes with reference to some of my findings and he included many more example photos of the boxes. Unfortunately then collectors (including me) started to criticize the replica boxes because they really didn't look anything like the originals at all. Then the replicas started to improve -- date stamps that corresponded with the production date, usage of the correct color tape, and the corresponding stamp which I call the "circle stamp" that has an unknown letter inside of it. The Marklin handlers / dealers promote this behavior as well and on eBay and at live auctions you can see hybrids of original Marklin boxes with reproduction labels and vice-versa. It's not just the boxes but the trains as well which sometimes have doubtful origins.

Even in this wonderful hobby we can't escape the laws of economics. This increase in supply of non-original goods has significantly reduced the prices on rare Marklin items. Rare version 00 locos that used to trade at 4.000 - 5.000 EUR now can be bought for 1.500 EUR. Original boxes for special items that used to be worth several 1.000 EURs now go for a few hundred because collectors are uncertain about what's real and what isn't. In some sense, however, this isn't an all-together bad trend as it means there is more Marklin out there at lower prices -- but it's more difficult to determine what's original, what's not, and what has value.

Paul

PS. More can be read on my website here: http://marklinstop.com/?s=boxes and regarding my economic predictions here: http://marklinstop.com/2...-do-they-affect-marklin/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline Mark_1602  
#23 Posted : 21 October 2014 17:24:53(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
That will be Marklin defending their trademarks, as they're legally obliged to if they want to keep them. Otherwise they'd also go after the people making replica parts for use in restorations (which are only made because Marklin's own stock dried up decades ago, and it'd make no sense whatsoever to tie up the factory making a pile of parts which might take years to sell). It's because the items have the Marklin logos on, not because they're replicas.

Personally I find the smaller products from "Really Useful Boxes" (yes, that is the name of the company!) are perfect, they make one which I think is intended for pencils but will hold anything up to a couple of 100cm coaches with space for a layer of bubble wrap either side and between them. My restored F800 lives in one with an inner tray made from crumpled and shaped brown paper.

Hi,

You're right in saying that they don't seem to go after people now. There was that court order in the 1990s, but now replica boxes and spare parts are all over the place. Maybe Märklin tolerates some of that, but all of those replicas are still illegal forgeries. On one of my original light blue boxes I've just had a look at (3073), the name 'Märklin' appears 11 times, and the watercolour illustration on the cover is also copyright as well as the design of the boxes. On the red boxes, the name 'Märklin' is also printed many times.
I have seen some DIY boxes without illustrations or Märklin logos that were simply designed to house and protect the locomotive. That's perfectly legitimate, but the Italian producers of the replica boxes don't do that kind of thing because they couldn't make much money with them. The intention of the replica boxes is clearly to create an illusion, and they are often passed off as genuine when they are sold together with an old locomotive.

I'll translate the important points from the German collector's website I have provided a link to above because one of the people writing there is a real authority on Märklin (actually a published author and the organiser of the oldest MRR market in Germany):

- The first replicas of Märklin H0 boxes appeared in Germany in the late 1970s. At first, they were only meant to replace a missing box.
- In the 1980s, Koll said in his catalogue that the original box accounted for about 20 per cent of the value of a boxed locomotive. After that, collectors started being interested in boxes. MRR markets (Tauschbörsen) for H0 only started in the 1970s and became more popular in the 80s. Gauge 0 material was traded before that.
- Apparently, the replica boxes were first made in Germany, then in the Netherlands until a certain Mr B. from Bologna became the dominant player in that market. Those boxes are still made in Italy now.
- Replica boxes for old gauge 0 models appeared at collector's markets over 40 years ago, before the H0 boxes.
- The 'H0 box mania' started in the 1980s, after Koll's announcement mentioned above.
- Replica boxes are even sold by German sellers on Ebay now. Does Märklin tolerate this? Possibly.
- The expert on Märklin who has written the longest entry on that page (Blech) collects gauge 0 or above and does not care about boxes. He says that people who want a specific box risk being deceived, and those who are aware of the fact that they are buying a fake deceive themselves. (I know his name and have googled him: he's written about 20 books on old tin plate toys.)
- In the past, Märklin used to sell replacement boxes, and there is some evidence that they started doing that more than 100 years ago! Original red boxes were still available in the 1960s after the blue ones were introduced, just like spare parts for old locomotives. Not all the red boxes that turned up at MRR markets were fake. Even as late as 1991, boxes could be ordered from Märklin, but obviously they corresponded to the grey or white boxes that were in use then.

* One thing that is not mentioned in the link is that customers who bought a so-called 'Teilesatz' in the 1970s, such as 3063.2, 3073.2 or 3036.3 could order a matching box if they wanted to, but most didn't. I have a 3073.2 in an original box with a cellophane cover from the 70s with a '3073' sticker, and I have seen a couple more on Ebay. As Märklin seems to have a long tradition of providing spare boxes to customers who needed one, they should make those replica boxes, shouldn't they?

Here's the link once again:

Original oder Replika?

Anyway, Märklin boxes are an intriguing topic.BigGrin

Best regards,
Mark

Edited by user 21 October 2014 22:39:45(UTC)  | Reason: added some more information

Best regards, Mark

Offline Mark_1602  
#24 Posted : 21 October 2014 18:27:04(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Marklin boxes (original & reproduction alike) have always been an interest of mine. Some of my articles on my website and posts on the Marklin forums sparked a lot of discussion around the boxes, labels, stamps, tape, and packaging -- everything that originally was sold with the trains. There was a great amount of discussion on the topic and it was quite interesting. Wolf (LMS800) produced the German-language guide to Marklin boxes with reference to some of my findings and he included many more example photos of the boxes. Unfortunately then collectors (including me) started to criticize the replica boxes because they really didn't look anything like the originals at all. Then the replicas started to improve -- date stamps that corresponded with the production date, usage of the correct color tape, and the corresponding stamp which I call the "circle stamp" that has an unknown letter inside of it. The Marklin handlers / dealers promote this behavior as well and on eBay and at live auctions you can see hybrids of original Marklin boxes with reproduction labels and vice-versa. It's not just the boxes but the trains as well which sometimes have doubtful origins.

Even in this wonderful hobby we can't escape the laws of economics. This increase in supply of non-original goods has significantly reduced the prices on rare Marklin items. Rare version 00 locos that used to trade at 4.000 - 5.000 EUR now can be bought for 1.500 EUR. Original boxes for special items that used to be worth several 1.000 EURs now go for a few hundred because collectors are uncertain about what's real and what isn't. In some sense, however, this isn't an all-together bad trend as it means there is more Marklin out there at lower prices -- but it's more difficult to determine what's original, what's not, and what has value.

Paul

PS. More can be read on my website here: http://marklinstop.com/?s=boxes and regarding my economic predictions here: http://marklinstop.com/2...-do-they-affect-marklin/

Hi Paul,

I'd noticed your excellent website and used it for reference before I became a member of this forum. It's pretty hard to find reliable information about Märklin's vintage models as there don't seem to be a lot of good books about the topic.
My only experience with the old red boxes was a fake 3018 box which had originally been a 3016! Fortunately the seller agreed to refund the money, so I sent it back. Usually I buy stuff from the 1960s and 1970s.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark