Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:02:35(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Some old classic Faller models can really make my day. Drool

Model 252 'Villa with balcony' is one of them.
It arrived here today.
It captures the typical early Faller style really well.

The model was released in 1957 and in 1963 it disappeared from the Faller program way too early.

Although my model is in rather good condition, I want to make a few changes on it and try to give it the looks of the early 'Faller Werks-Fertigmodelle' (the models made by Faller homeworkers).

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Robin Hopps  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2014 13:21:21(UTC)
Robin Hopps

Hi Mr Kweekalot You seem to know your stuff so maybe you can help me? I was a child in the 50s and circa 1954 my German grandparents blessed me with a Marklin train set, Later they sent me a Fluelen Station, a No 231 watermill, what looks like a trackside hut with adjacent wood pile and a wooden windmill with no motor and little plastic that I can remember. I have the trackside hut but the others were lost along the way, the magnificent station to water damage. I want to replace these units. There seem to be a few Fluelen stations on the web and I just got a near mint 231 Watermill. But I cannot identify the trackside hut or windmill model numbers. I can send a photo of trackside hut but the windmill is no more. The windmill was wooden from memory with horizontal wood slats around the main body. It had no motor and very delicate white sail cloths in a rectangular timber latticework frame.

Can you help me identify this unit? Obviously if I had all the back catalogues I could look through them and find the missing model numbers but these I do not have.
Offline kweekalot  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2014 15:00:03(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hello Robin,

Sure I can help you ! (I always like to talk Faller).
Your mill was in the Faller program from 1950.
In Faller catalog 1950 it had No 24 / 25, see screenshot from catalog 1950.

In 1951 the old catalog numbers were changed and from then on the mill had No 233 (without motor) and 234 (with motor).
From 1953 the mill was only in the Faller program with motor as No 233.
In 1960 the mill was replaced by a plastic model that still had the same item number (233/ B-233).

Like all early Faller models, the first version of the mill was made out of wood and carton and was only available as a 'Fertigmodell' (a model built by Faller workers)

I have all Faller catalogs as PDF starting 1949 and I will send you some per email so you can identify your models.

Marco

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2014 15:21:21(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
And here is a picture of the #233 mill from collector Thal Armatura.
It is a very nice early Faller model.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Robin Hopps  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2014 04:29:48(UTC)
Robin Hopps

Thanks guys but my mill was not in the pictures you have posted.

Here are some more details of it to help us track it down. I was born in 1948 in a small house so it was 1953 before we moved to a house that had room for a train set so it must be post 1953 bought. Lets say 1955 start date as maybe 5 is too young to start train set life.

I think we can be sure I had it by 1960.

The head unit was definitely shaped as per model 233 but it was of a "finer/more delicate ' build if you know what I mean. It would have been maybe just 65% of that size and certainly too small to house a motor which it did not have. It did have a hole in wooden base for a light and the ground floor may have been circular rather than hexagonal but do not quote me on that.

If it helps it would have been bought in Schweinfurt

It was not a kit or plastic version - it arrived in a parcel in tact

The sails were shaped like model mill 232250, a very fine rectangular timber lattice work (which were easily broken) with cigarette/tissue paper like sail cloths

The body was hexagonal type, tapering upwards but covered in overlapped timber planks laid horizontally.

With that -on with the search. As an aside were there any other makers of such models at that time?

I am going to post a picture of my (trackside?) hut of that same vintage in the hope of finding its number later

Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2014 09:49:41(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Robin Hopps Go to Quoted Post
... were there any other makers of such models at that time?

To name a few ... Vollmer, Kibri, POLA, WIAD, Vau-Pe, Creglinger, Hoffmann, Rudolf Spitaler (RS), Noch, Voigt ...
Offline kweekalot  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2014 10:20:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
And ... Mamos, Auhagen, Vero, Quick ...

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2014 10:37:28(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Or maybe you had this '#1142' Vau-Pe windmill, see screenshot Vau-Pe catalog 1960 and catalog 1963.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Robin Hopps  
#9 Posted : 20 October 2014 14:02:24(UTC)
Robin Hopps

Sails much like Quick B700 model but with thinner sail arms and smaller centre hub. But sails were that big in proportion to overall height of the model.

The first VauPe 1142 model seems different to second one shown. First one is closest in body proportions to what I remember. Also, ,may have had a balcony/walkway around base of main body and a ground floor/door and windows below. No windows in main body

When did Faller move away from hand built or was it progressive over a number of years? It appears Fluelen was built up to 1958 but plastic models seem common at that time too. I have read the history article of Faller.