Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2014 20:42:13(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
I put decoders in two of my points so I could operate them via my MS2 but it occurred to me that as my layout grows it will be pretty cumbersome to:

1) Remember the addresses of all the points, unless visibly labelled

2) Scroll to the switch/signal address on the MS2 to operate it

So, to digital users that haven't gone fully computerised, how to you operate them:

a) With your hands

b) Old fasioned elctromechanically (blue box with buttons, where you still have to know which button operates what)

c) Addresses in MS/CS

d) Board with drawing of station and toggle buttons for the points/signals

e) Something else?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2014 21:14:58(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Great question as I too am struggling with the same issue. I am still using a 6021 with 6040 keyboards. So far I have 64 decoder addresses for switches and uncouplers before I have added a single signal.

Impossible to keep track of what is what without my labelled SCARM layout.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2014 21:23:13(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post

I put decoders in two of my points so I could operate them via my MS2 but it occurred to me that as my layout grows it will be pretty cumbersome to:

2) Scroll to the switch.signal address on the MS2 to operate it

So, to digital users that haven''t gone fully computerised, how to you operate them:

a) With your hands

b) Old fasioned elctromechanically (blue box with buttons, where you still have to know which button operates what)

c) Addresses in MS/CS

e) Something else?

Thanks

On my layout I have 44 turnouts controlled digitally. I use 11 Switchpilots that's can control 4 turnouts each. The switchpilots are all routed to by ECOS 2, where I have diagrams of all the areas of my layout so I can simply touch the switch or the route and all switches are then thrown properly.

I also have switches in the yard area that are not controlled by any motor or mechanism and those switches are thrown manually.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline MikeR  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2014 21:35:47(UTC)
MikeR

United States   

2) Scroll to the switch.signal address on the MS2 to operate it

So, to digital users that haven''t gone fully computerised, how to you operate them:

a) With your hands

c) Addresses in MS/CS

e) Something else?

Thanks

Hi Morsing

The CS2 allows the user to draw switchboards of parts of the layout with all points, uncouplers, turntable etc. on the switchboard. It is therefore unnecessary to remember the number of a point and much easier to simply pull up the requisite switchboard and operate the required point or other device. Switchboards can also be linked so touching the end of a track on one switchboard will move you to the next logical switchboard attached to that track. It is therefore easy to set up a route by calling up the required switchboards in sequence. I have set up my layout (over 60 points) and find this facility on the CS2 a major step forward from having to remember the numbers of all my points etc.

Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline morsing  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2014 21:46:27(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post

The CS2 allows the user to draw switchboards of parts of the layout with all points, uncouplers, turntable etc. on the switchboard. It is therefore unnecessary to remember the number of a point and much easier to simply pull up the requisite switchboard and operate the required point or other device. Switchboards can also be linked so touching the end of a track on one switchboard will move you to the next logical switchboard attached to that track. It is therefore easy to set up a route by calling up the required switchboards in sequence. I have set up my layout (over 60 points) and find this facility on the CS2 a major step forward from having to remember the numbers of all my points etc.

I did not know that...

Another reason to get a CS2! Love

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Harvey  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2014 02:33:31(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I use a combination of approaches to control switching tracks
- in full automated running, reed switches and S88 will control the two hidden yards (each with 4 switching tracks). Signals are also connected to S88 (with K83s) to control traffic flow on the passenger and freight line.
- For 'manual operation' I use the CS2 keyboard or layout functions. I have a WinTrack printout of the layout and labeled all signals and switching track addresses.
-my freight yard is operate by the layout functions - I drew the yard in the layout tool.

Each works fine. Only issue is some switching tracks in the freight yard need extra attention - don't always work. The layout tool is a bit sensitive but it is definitely a real positive for the freight yard.

Harvey

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2014 07:41:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
The CS2 allows the user to draw switchboards of parts of the layout with all points, uncouplers, turntable etc. on the switchboard.
My CS1 and the ECoS can do that, too. AFAIK the Viessmann Commander also does it.
Not a unique feature of the CS2 - if you want it, there are several controllers to choose from.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjlauritsen  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2014 10:43:00(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Some manual, some controlled digitally.

Some will never be digital, especially around the yards and depots. I think it adds to operating realism if the loco driver must think for himself.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2014 13:41:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

2) Scroll to the switch/signal address on the MS2 to operate it

So, to digital users that haven't gone fully computerised, how to you operate them:

a) With your hands

c) Addresses in MS/CS

e) Something else?

Thanks

My method is:

My layout is small, and only has 12 turnouts and 6 signals at the moment. Some of these turnouts are paired, as are the signals that are associated with them, which means that one button push will change up to two turnouts and 2 signals. I currently have 8 pairs of switches on my blue control boxes in use, so it's not that hard to remember which is which.

I have resisted the urge to make them digital because my layout can also become analogue at the flick of a switch, which means that I would still need the analogue controls anyway in parallel with the decoders.

All my electromechanical accessories at the moment can be controlled from a bank of four of the blue control boxes. I would start thinking about alternatives If I were at the stage where I would need more than eight boxes.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline pab  
#10 Posted : 09 September 2014 14:05:02(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I control my trains digitally with an Ecos (1).

The control of points, signals and so on is still the old fashioned way. The same for moving objects and the city and street lights.
I can switch with the switch boxes (white or blue), but most of the signals are also changed by circuit tracks from green to red and vice versa. A lot of turn outs are set in the right direction by circuit tracks.
For occupation detection I use relays and circuit tracks in my shadow station,. That way I avoid incoming trains on a occupied track and the incorrect setting of signals and turn outs.
Since I'm a little bit older I have a drawing of my lay-out with numbers for all the items. The boxes are numbered accordingly. I have 40 blue and white boxes.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pab
Offline LeoArietis  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2014 23:09:13(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   
I use toggle-swiches on a drawn board. Analogue, with feed-back-indication LED:s.

UserPostedImage
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LeoArietis
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 03 October 2014 23:49:08(UTC)
Goofy

Digitally with MS2 and Lenz LS150(turnout decoder).
Only with DCC protocol and also with locomotivs.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline morsing  
#13 Posted : 04 October 2014 09:40:21(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LeoArietis Go to Quoted Post
I use toggle-swiches on a drawn board. Analogue, with feed-back-indication LED:s.

UserPostedImage

That's looks great - what are the red buttons for? De-couplers?

When you say feedback LEDs, do they actually get the position from the points?
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Janne75  
#14 Posted : 04 October 2014 22:56:07(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I control all my 25 C-track turnouts digitally with CS2. I use either keyboard pages or memory pages (for routes). I don't usually switch my turnouts from layout page as I don't find it very practical way to do it. Both other options above are somehow better for me.

I have 14 Märklin Hobby series signals and all of them are controlled manually with their own control boxes. They don't cut track power. I just change them according to how they should be vs. how the locos run BigGrin . I wanted to have some signals without the need to cut track power. This is ok for me.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75