Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline monster134  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2014 03:00:23(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Who knows what this loco would have looked like, had it survived. That said, it has always been a favourite of mine. Mainly because it looks so different and also because it is a Marklin only locomotive.

I got my hands on a brand new 3701 a while ago. As some of you know, I had quit my day job and I am now a 24 hour a day model railroader. I added a little shop here to the garage, stuffed some shelves into it and now I look like I am a merchant of dreams. I absolutely love it. So..... I had a look at this Borsig, decided there and then that I am going to make it special as an Edition 1 to promote my new shop.

I spent ludicrous amounts of cash on it hehehehe. Luckily, I knew of the shortcomings of the original model, having a good couple of them in my own collection. The model got taken apart, all its electronics stripped and in the process a very good friend of mine repainted it. It went all over the country so that various wizards could do their magic and transform it. mSD sound decoder, twin smokers on separate micro relays, and after a week or two it was back here with me and I weathered it with great care. Grinding and mulching 4 scales of coal for it. It was also the first time that I had to weather using powders and decal fix to make the weathering permanent. It was nerve destroying.....

The end result might well be the only one in the world. I don't know. Mechanically definitely. I wanted the loco to not loose power to those twin smokers and I wanted it to be able to run with the smokers on for hours on end without any strain on the decoder. It worked. She passed the tests with flying colors. Pulling stronger than any of my other Borsigs and I have to say that the mSD does a brilliant job of controlling the mechanicals. It is beautifully smooth.

So here is a couple of pictures. Hope you enjoy. Edition 2 is in the making and hitting the test track tomorrow night. Just a teaser. It will be a classic South African locomotive with full sound and AC Marklin 3 rail. Keep a lookout in the near future.

I will be very sad to see the Borsig go. It is obviously for sale. It is getting a custom made showcase, a set of Preiser soldiers and all I am waiting for is for the wizards to come sign the case and the plaque to be made. I present: TheMARKLINIST Edition number 1.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by monster134
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2014 03:15:48(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
nice job with the coal !
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2014 03:54:23(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
A wonderful model, it would looks great besides the winter camo edition....for sale did you say?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline seatrains  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2014 04:30:03(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Magnificent!ThumpUp
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Tom Jessop  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2014 07:42:49(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
It just so happens that there is a winter camo edition for sale down here in Oz at the moment along with a few other items that are Marklin . I added the link last week for the estate sale & I made a offer on 2 items but haven't heard back from the company dealing with the estate except to say that I was way below what they thought it was worth considering it is a 3496 Mallet ,supposably mint & never out of the box . I offered a fair price for a second hand model in good condition & pointed out that the current prices on second hand items in the model trade are in the doldrums at present & I doubted that there would be any higher bid either . Oh well wait & see at the moment.

Link http://caecus.net/

Cheers Tom in Oz [luving the crud on the wheels & the coal seizing along with the colors .]
Offline Angus  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2016 09:18:59(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
After looking at this loco on display at Riekus' shop for a long time now...

I am the very proud owner of this wonderful locomotive BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Angus