Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sudibarba  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2014 04:03:33(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I am very happy to share with you a couple of recent purchases. I was able to get a brand new 37500 Northlander (CERTIFICATE #306 of it looks like 7000)
at auction in the USA. I am not sure of the world wide value but I got it for $562 +15%. We usually see these for over $1000 on Ebay.

The more interesting thing to me was that I also got a 4129 Northlander dummy (F7) that I did not know existed. It is also brand new condition.
I am not sure what Marklin wanted this for but I am thinking I have several F7 powered units that I could swap one of the digital converted units on. I paid
$156 + 15 % for the 4129.

I got 3 other great items, 3050,3391 and a 3467 SNCB.

Eric
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2014 06:32:18(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi Eric,

Congrats! I was watching the 4129 (just for fun as I don't have a Northlander set)

Interesting story there- those were ordered and sold new by the dealer Schweiger in Nuremburg from Marklin. They were sold in a limited run, and are near impossible to get today, albiet not that expensive as most people don't know about them.

They also did some other fun items over the years, 3056 in Brown, 3034 with heidi graphics, and some other rarities.

Nice purchase!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2014 12:04:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eric,

Congrats! I was watching the 4129 (just for fun as I don't have a Northlander set)

Interesting story there- those were ordered and sold new by the dealer Schweiger in Nuremburg from Marklin. They were sold in a limited run, and are near impossible to get today, albiet not that expensive as most people don't know about them.

They also did some other fun items over the years, 3056 in Brown, 3034 with heidi graphics, and some other rarities.

Nice purchase!

I believe the Northlander items that Schweiger sold were their own repaints of standard Marklin items, not painted as such by Marklin. For this reason they appeared in the boxes of the original item. As a result of the Marklin took Schweiger to court for passing off the items as Marklin produced. There was also an F7 ABA set IIRC.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2014 22:33:25(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eric,

Nice purchase!

I believe the Northlander items that Schweiger sold were their own repaints of standard Marklin items, not painted as such by Marklin. For this reason they appeared in the boxes of the original item. As a result of the Marklin took Schweiger to court for passing off the items as Marklin produced. There was also an F7 ABA set IIRC.

Very interesting. I've always been fascinated by the Schweiger models as they were always unique and factory-quality (if not done by the factory) paint. Is there any sort of source or home for information about them you know of?

SBB Era 2-5
Offline sudibarba  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2014 02:06:37(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Thank you all for the information. I knew I had not seen a Northlander dummy but could not resist buying it.
Knowing the "back story", I will have no hesitation putting the body on a good F7 motorized unit and enjoying it.
Tomorrow, I will go to my train building and closely compare the 4129 to the F7 unit on the 37500. By the way,
the painting on the 4129 is very nice. The box it came in was marked 4129 - the picture shows a F7 with Southern
Pacific markings on it (Black Widow). I have several of the Black Widow F7 consists and love them. The box I got had
no paper work in it.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2014 12:45:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Very interesting. I've always been fascinated by the Schweiger models as they were always unique and factory-quality (if not done by the factory) paint. Is there any sort of source or home for information about them you know of?

There was a 1 inch high single column picture in the Inside magazine at the time, of the ABA F7, but I can't remember the issue at the moment, beyond that it was before 1997.
Offline sudibarba  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2014 04:38:04(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
As I said I would I have compared the repaint 4129 to the 39500. I will say that the repaint is absolutely beautiful and therefore the quality
is outstanding. There are significant differences between the two, however, I would never have known from casual viewing. I have
no idea which is more prototypically correct.

The differences:

The Northlander logo is darker on the repaint - the 4129.

There is a bell on top of the repaint in a metal triangle frame.
None on the original.

The horns on the 39500 are yellow and the ones on the repaint are black.

2/3 rds of the way back the roof on the 39500 is black and wraps down the side over a series
of three rows of louvers. The edges of the lovers are also silver stamped on the original.
The repaint stops the black at the edge of the roof. No silver on the edges of the louvers.

Anyway, I am happy to have the repaint.

Eric

Yes, there are some other differences but I am not a rivet counter.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2014 20:31:23(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Glad to hear it! As you now have seen, the quality is factory-level. Did you win one of the powered units they had on auction this past week? Would make for a nice AA set
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 27 September 2014 22:20:03(UTC)
Webmaster

3391, great buy - I have the 3791 and I really like the body colour of this BR 03.10. It was my first digital loco, the 3791...
Was a bit disappointed that the lights didn't shine on my analog layout, though...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]