Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2014 17:54:24(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
What got your started in trains? A birthday/Christmas/ect present? Was it Marklin or another brand? What scales have you delt in? For myself I got started with two HO scale Tyco brand sets in the late 1970s that I got as Christmas presents. For those that dont know, that brand of HO scale is not known to run well or last very long. Needless to say, for my birthday the following March, the HO went away and I got a substantial set up of Lionel O gauge trains. I stayed with O scale 3 rail trains till my late teens. My aunt and uncle went to Germany to visit his family and they returned with a LGB European starter set. This got me started in G scale and garden railways, which continue to this very day with that starter set and extras I have added to it. I developed a fondness to European railroads and German/Austrian ones specificly. This is what led me to Marklin. I have strayed away from Marklin lately but have started to return after saving an engine and two freight wagons from the junk box at the LHS. So whats your story and what got you here today? Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2014 21:50:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The year I was born my brother got a Marklin train set for Christmas. It comprised a CM800 tank engine with 3 X 4000 passenger wagons.
A year or two later it was expanded with more track plus another 3000 loco (numbering scheme had changed) and a couple of freight wagons. My brother was never very interested in trains, but I was, from a very early age, and they became mine by default. I still have both locos, two of the coaches, and one of the wagons from this original lot.

In my teens I was distracted from the hobby by the usual ingrediants of studies, cars and girls, but occasionally found time to run the trains. I had also at this time received as a gift a Triang "Princess Elizabeth" and two BR coaches. My attention became split between British and German trains.

Then came work, marriage and children, and it was at about the time my son was born that I came back to model trains. I experimented with British (LNER) OO gauge, and then with GWR in N gauge, but when, on holiday, I stumbled on the entire Marklin range held in stock at that time at Hamleys in London, I was hooked again on Marklin. I bought a 3085 Br003 and some green express coaches, and then a year or so later I bought a 3072 Br212 and some wagons. From then on my collection grew exponentially, and about 15 years ago I managed to build my first permanent layout in a corner of my son's bedroom. The current layout, now C track and digital, still occupies my son's room, and all the space under it is storage for my collection, which now includes 127 locomotives and numerous coaches and wagons.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2014 22:31:30(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I was stationed in Heidelberg, Germany from 1979 to 1982 while in the US Army. My sons who were then 10 and 7 years old expressed an interest in model trains. We went down to the toy store at the Familia Center and looked at the various brands. It seemed to me that Marklin was the most robust and finely detailed, even though it was 3 rail and I was used to American 2 rail from my youth. It took some soul searching to make the change. We accumulated several (4 or 5) loks (the star was the E103!... and still is). We had a three bedroom apartment on base a Patrick Henry Village just off A5. The boys agreed to live in one room and we set up a layout with K track in the other. When we returned to the US in 1982, we made a start at a large layout but other things intruded and I finally disassembled the benchwork we had started.

Fast forward 20 years. My sons and I made a few trips to Germany as tourists ( they were 33 and 30 then) and enjoyed riding the rails. I was casting about for a stress outlet from business and my wife suggested that I get out the trains. I bought a digital starter set and the hobby took over my life for the next 10 years or so. My layout does not get the attention it once did since I retired and no longer need the stress outlet, but I do enjoy going down to work or play, especially when my Grandkids (11 and 8) come to visit!

Added:

I was sitting down at my train control station and recalled that a portion of that original (1983) benchwork still exists! When I was disassembling it I cut this portion out and saved it, it is now attached proudly roght to the left of my control station on the current layout.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 03 September 2014 01:50:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline hennabm  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2014 14:20:42(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

I have my father to blame for all my interestLOL

He was stationed in Germany in the mid 1950's and purchased a few M* items including a 3011 and a load of track and catenary.

When I was around 6/7 he then handed it over to me and used to set it up in my bedroom at every opportunity as a carpetbahn.Love

It was only when I started earnining money did I then start expanding the collection and always wanted at some point to build a layout.

That time came in 2011 and I now have the layout I use for exhibitions.ThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2014 15:24:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I had other peoples trains as the reason for my introduction to them.

My father repaired Märklin fro the new Zealand agents, so bought a 10VA transformer and circle of 5100 track to enable him to do this. so I learnt to play trains with other peoples locos, DA800, SK800, CCS800 FM800 ... and so on. Later on I received some straight track, pair of points and a couple of goods wagons as birthday and Christmas presents. Further on I received a 3003 which was treasured, and as the family got more prosperous a 3038 appeared, and a couple of coaches.

I do regret selling it all up now, although I believe I know where most of it is.

Later on I got into company with others who had trains and got back into Märklin again, buying a 3687 with a bequest from my Grandmother.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2014 23:27:57(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
My older brother's American Flyer 027 set. We had it for a few years, long before I could remember. It was a simple oval with a passing siding on one end. We needed to buy some parts or something and the next thing you know, the parts to repair it said Marklin and created a complete railroad all its own. I'm sure mom was not amused. My sister says I learned how to spend money from one of the best-my dad.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline analogmike  
#7 Posted : 04 September 2014 04:15:54(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
my mom and dad were born and raised in BERLIN, GERMANY. yes i was shouting just then...sorry. after surviving the war they met, married, moved to NEW YORK, USA (shout), rented an apartment on the 2nd floor above (get ready) A HOBBY SHOP! one fine day in 1963 i opened my eyes to......me-109's, c-47's, b-17's, stukas, mustangs... fugetaboutit! not long after while crawling around this little baby discovered a corner of a closet with strange light blue boxes which had numbers and little pictures of really fast looking red wheeled smoking things on them......i think were done here. analogmike
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 04 September 2014 09:26:33(UTC)
Goofy

One year old
Christmas gift from parents
Märklin oval start set with M tracks
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline glight1  
#9 Posted : 04 September 2014 15:15:33(UTC)
glight1

United States   

My Dad bought a Lionel set for me as a Christmas present. It had a small switcher locomotive and four freight cars that ran in a simple oval. I held on to it for many years until all my sons left for college. When I was looking for a hobby to keep me occupied in retirement, an HO train layout seemed the perfect fit and I had always admired the quality and detail of Marklin products.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by glight1
Offline Ian555  
#10 Posted : 04 September 2014 15:57:55(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Bad luck I guess, if I hadn't been on the computer, if Juhan hadn't accepted me as a member, if I hadn't seen Stephen, Ray and John's collections, if I didn't get all that help from the forum members.....

Smile

If I didn't have that little CM800 sitting in a box from way back in 1959....

Ian.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline petestra  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2014 18:08:11(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Friends. My dad always loved trains and he bought us all an American Flyer set in the late 50s. We only set up the layout at Christmastime and

also had a circle around the tree. When I was around 7 years old (1960) I got my own Tyco HO set too that I could use all the time. I could not

stand the fact that Tyco trains never stayed on the tracks and the quality was poor. Then, from watching European and war films, I really got to

like the Euro style of trains, as well as American. We always went into Manhattan at Christmastime during our school Christmas break. My dad and

uncle Frank ran the family business factory in Manhattan so we would often go to work with them during this week. We would do all the tourist stuff

in Manhattan like going to the top of the Empire State Building, museums etc. Uncle Frank was our bachelor uncle so he was the guy with the $$$. He

would often take us to Polk's Hobby Store (it was there for years on 5th ave. near the Empire State Building) . He collected metal toy soldiers which

were sold there. One floor the trains were sold and I got the 3100 set at Christmas 1964 ( 3000 Lok, 3 metal coaches, and a circle of track). The

transformer was sold separately. I fell in love with Märklin. The German quality was super. FAO Schwarz had a huge, beautiful display layout too.

The love affair never ended for me. So that was my beginnings in the world of trains. Peter BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 04 September 2014 18:20:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Looks like we started with the same set, Peter!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MACER  
#13 Posted : 04 September 2014 18:34:16(UTC)
MACER

Argentina   
Hi alls,

Interesting comments/

In the 50s was children i have Matarazzo-Br to key, no electric,

and more late 70s Lima,

and Marklin from 2000 in more.

Many thanks and enjoy!!
Macer
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MACER
Offline Janne75  
#14 Posted : 04 September 2014 22:17:09(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

When I was a young boy at an age of around 4-5 years old I got very interested in H0 Märklin trains. There were a nice looking winter layout in our towns bank's window. I still remember how I admired Drool all the beautiful locomotives and rolling stock + the scenery Love . I could watch them for hours without getting bored in them. So I assured my parents that I am interested in Märklin H0 trains Wink . Then soon after this I got then my first Märklin 2920 starter set back in the start of the 1980's. I had three locos back then (3077, 3087 and 3104).

Then I had my trains and some extension parts until the age of around 14-15. Then came other interests and I unfortunately sold my trains. In 2002 I restarted this great hobby. And again of course with Märklin! This time first with Delta and soon after with Digital. I had seven locos until year 2010.

Then something happened and now I have almost 200 H0 1:87 locos. I tried N-scale 1:160 for some hours and decided to sell the trains and tracks I bought. Those things are a way too small for my eyes, fingers and taste Smile . I have recently bought Märklin 1 gauge 1:32 tracks and three locos. I still like most the good old H0 1:87, but this 1:32 is great variation as our living room temporary layout. RollEyes

This is my story how I got interested in trains. I have three sons and really hope that some of them will be interested enough to continue this great hobby with me later and also when I don't exist anymore. It hopefully takes some years as I'm now 39 years old. My sons are soon 7, 4 and 1 years old and two oldest are at the moment very interested in trains. I hope the best!

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline analogmike  
#15 Posted : 05 September 2014 23:52:42(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
my mom and dad were born and raised in BERLIN, GERMANY. yes i was shouting just then...sorry. after surviving the war they met, married, moved to NEW YORK, USA (shout), rented an apartment on the 2nd floor above (get ready) A HOBBY SHOP! one fine day in 1963 i opened my eyes to......me-109's, c-47's, b-17's, stukas, mustangs... fugetaboutit! not long after while crawling around this little baby discovered a corner of a closet with strange light blue boxes which had numbers and little pictures of really fast looking red wheeled smoking things on them......i think were done here. analogmike

hey guys, i just found some vintage pics you may enjoy. the one on the left is from 1966. i am the one closest to the transformer at 3 years old. mom appears to be adding smoke fluid to the br44. i think there's a pic of this linoleumbahn migrating over to the carpet area as another large oval (gotta search). the one on the right is from 1967. the plywood is supported by two large pink recliner type chairs. this was necessary because mom was complaining that i kept wearing out the skin on my knees. the track was never screwed down and dad would change the layout every time; weekend warriors, holidays etc. very interesting thing about the track arrangement here is two large stations. the outer oval branches out to three tracks on one side of the plan and the inner oval does the same thing on the opposite side of the layout. i also love the way he placed one loco shed at the top of the freight yard ladder. the other shed serves the outer loop. i still run every piece of equipment in these photos. stay tuned, more vintage pics to follow. mike
analogmike attached the following image(s):
003.JPG
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline NewMB  
#16 Posted : 21 September 2014 15:10:41(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
I was always into trains as my grandfather was a lok driver on the old Swedish steamers (Re SA 944) and later the electric Da (30301 etc) before retiring. Everytime I met him I wanted him to take me down to the lokshop they had in their town to look at the big "cho cho" (steamer) and whatever else would be there. What a great site it was too!

Anyway, fast forward to 1980 and Christmas when I received my first Märklin train set. Lok and 2 green wagons with M-track, namely the 3090 and 4040 wagons. Later came the BR 24 3003 and in 1984 a Rc1 3043 lok from dad when I learned to crawl (swimming that is!). I still have all the wagons and loks, everything still works and I am very proud to still have these items as they are very close to me.

Then a few years of school, ladies etc etc etc with almost no attention to Märklin, although the interest was always there and in 2004 I managed to convince my wife to allow me the "library/dining room" to be used for a small setup while we lived in the UK. In 2010 we left the UK for Germany and have since the beginning of 2013 a new house with a basement and the biggest room was always planned to be my train room. Well, some of it has just become a reality as my new cabinets are up displaying almost all of my collection and the wood for the new layout is on order :D

Here's a pic of my "Swedish Collection" showing off all of my first lok's etc.
1. To the left, on Row 1, 4 and 7 you can see the Da lok and the Re SA 944 on row 2 which is the loks my grandad would have driven.
2. Bottom of left side is my first 3090 tanklok and wagons.
3. Middle of the right hand side is my 1984 Rc1 lok with the 2 wagons that I also got.
4. Bottom of right side is the Br 24 and a few wagons.
UserPostedImage

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline pdiamd  
#17 Posted : 21 September 2014 19:54:31(UTC)
pdiamd

United States   
My first introduction to trains came when my Dad gave me two sets of trains and a platform to run them on. They were both Marklin locomotives, four passenger cars and eight freight cars. As most of my teenage years were school, cars and girls I lost interest in trains until I was married and on my honeymoon. My wife and I went to Europe where I purchased several locomotives and cars and an additional large suitcase to bring them back to the USA. I was totally hooked and into trains as my primary hobby.
Pat
CS2...MS2...Marklin Digital and Analog....Steam and Diesel Era III & IV...Insider Member
Favorites Br01, Br23, German and Swiss Crocodiles
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by pdiamd
Offline rbw993  
#18 Posted : 22 September 2014 18:37:25(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Got my first train in 1953 or 54 for Christmas, a Lionel Scout set. I was 3 or 4 at the time and really have never not had something to play with since. Once when I had a summer job in Bordeaux I bought some Rapido N trains. Also had trains in my dorm room at college. Main focus now is my LGB RhB garden layout and Marklin carpetbahn until I can find space for a permanent layout.

Roger
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 24 September 2014 14:33:32(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
This topic seems to repeat itself every now and then, doesnt it¿?

I think my first electric train was in Lego, at about 5yo.
Then I "inherited" a huge TT-scale train (only 1 loco though) at 7yo. This was lost, because I was not able to expand it; It didnt fit with friends N or H0 scale trains, and no stuff wasavailable in the stores.
Then I got a very small Märklin starter set at X-mas, when I was 8 years old. From then on, it grew slowly but steadily over the years, with several up and down periods.
Curiosly one of the "up" periods was when most other people put the hobby on pause, when girls and cars take over. I found time for it all! ;-)
Some big "up" periods has been when I moved to a new house. Last one was 8 years ago, and I am now building a huge 30m2 layout in the basement.
(For the last 4-5 years I´ve been in a "down" period, with all money and time going to the new-found Lego-hobby.)

Looking back, I notice that trains has always bene part of my general interest and hobby. (Even with Lego I continue to do trains), but I think that the single-most "interrest-generating" part of it all, has been browsing through colourful catalogues from all the brands I could get my hands on. So many hours in my youth, reading and dreaming about the stuff...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa