Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GlennM  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2014 22:52:01(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
First, I hope this post is in the right place, and secondly this was intended as a follow up to a previous post about the auction (by A.N. Other) which I am 100% certain was on this Forum originally. I have searched and cannot find the original post so I thought I would start a new thread, if anyone knows where the original post was, please feel free to move this one, or amalgamate, or whatever........

So I believe that somewhere on this Forum I saw a link to a (then) forthcoming auction at Warwick & Warwick Auction House in Warwick, UK on 17 September 2014. There were some 159 Märklin only lots, about 4 Primex lots, 9 or so Triix lots, 6 or so Brawa lots, 6 or so Roco lots and I think 30 something HAG lots, and as an idea of the lots

132 number Märklin wagons in blue boxes with window
48 Märklin coaches in a box
7 number Märklin locos all digital converted by professional agent
3 number ICE train sets
and there is 159 lots of this stuff !!!!!!!!

For the UK this represents a veritable smorgasbord of Märklin, and certainly more than I have seen in one place in the UK, and so rather than bid I thought I would attend, it was my first 'live' MRR auction and so I though I would post this quick report on my day, in order to help persuade others to attend future events;

I arrived early on morning of 17 September for the viewing session, registered and was shown the shelves, and given a list of lots, help yourself the kind assistant said, look and enjoy what you like and put the boxes back afterwards. The next three hours were spent pouring through box and box of Märklin items all boxed and in beautiful condition, for a big kid like me, i was in heaven, and could have spent my annual salary many time over.

I was lucky to be joined by Roger (of the forum, see Nigel's UK meet), and we set about trying to make some inroads into what we might actually bid for. After a short while we were joined by the gentleman whose collection was being sold, as he had come for the auction, and to be honest I still do not really know why he was selling up, but I can say his collection was impeccable, each digitised loco was in its box, with all the instructions, paperwork, and a warranty and proof that the conversion was done by an authorised agent, it even had a purpose label inside giving the loco address. He must have been quietly heartbroken to see us lot rummaging through his collection.

We came across a few rare items, which I do not recall from Kolls, including a blue BR 103 and a Class 610 Railcar with a midnight blue with silver stars paint scheme, and a wide range of not so rare but equally sought after items such as The Re 460 'Cheese' loco.

During the viewing we bumped into Ellis of Ellis Clark trains (I have bought from him in the past, and tried to get him to sell me a Borsig Limited Edition at the Glasgow Show this year, and I know some UK members buy from him) we had a great chat and I can tell you he bought a lot of new locos, and he said he would have them up on his website hopefully by next week (okay free plug over LOL ).

The bidding was a little chaotic (my first time) they are averaging 180+ lots an hour so they don't hang around. The auction was uneventful, mostly dealers, few telephone bidders and one guy who only seemed to bid if others bid, apparently he shows up from time to time, and can be a bit of an a**. A few highlights that I did note was a lot of seven Märklin locos in top condition all professionally digitised went for £190, and Kraus Maffei CL 2200 (Blue and white digital version) starting bid £70 (!!!!!!) did not even get a bid !!!!!! Most Märklin (not all) went for just below or around the estimate, and for those wondering the lot of 132 number wagons went for £550, another one with 85 number wagons in went for £360.

Both Roger and I won a few lots, and I can say that I am very pleased with what I have won. I spent today opening and reviewing the boxes and running some of the items, and can say to anyone thinking about these auctions in future, definitely try and get to one and have a go, even if you do not win anything, you will have great fun just going through the boxes and review the items for sale. Great day out.

Best Regards

Glenn

PS: To answer the question I am sure you are all going to ask, yes I did buy a new rail car BigGrin BigGrin , pictures will follow on my rail car thread soon.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline MalinAC  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2014 09:11:46(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Glenn, I put in bids on 4 lots a little over the estimate on the internet. I did not expect to win any of them but just in case. All the bids lost by only £10 I was shocked as there was some high value locos in the lots..The next time if I cant go to the auction I will get my nephew to go and bid for me . From what I could tell from the website there was a lot of very good items on offer. Take care EddieSad Sad Sad
Offline GlennM  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2014 11:07:20(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glenn, I put in bids on 4 lots a little over the estimate on the internet. I did not expect to win any of them but just in case. All the bids lost by only £10 I was shocked as there was some high value locos in the lots..The next time if I cant go to the auction I will get my nephew to go and bid for me . From what I could tell from the website there was a lot of very good items on offer. Take care EddieSad Sad Sad

Eddie,

Sorry you did not win anything, but if you were bidding on the items with multiple locos there is a high chance it was won by either Ellis or the 'bid on everything' guy who is also a dealer I believe. If you are after a specific loco, I would suggest you write to Ellis quoting the auction lot number and the Marklin loco number and ask if he won, and if you can come to an arrangement to buy it. He bought a box set of locos of which I wanted one, and I approached him after the auction and did a deal.

All the best

Glenn
Offline MalinAC  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2014 12:25:07(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Glenn ,you were right as Ellis had won one of the lots I bid on so I have got in touch and done a good deal for one of the locos I was after. I have got a few locos from him this past year and find him verg good with his prices and always willing to do a deal. Take care Eddie ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2014 13:11:49(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I never hear of W&W Auction selling Marklin? I think ebay sellers and Traders have lots of successful bidding!

Sellers to listing items on ebay to make profits, The white strip with digital codes on inner package.. >Antiquetoys1 Ebay< >Ellis-Clark-Trains<
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 29 September 2014 18:34:56(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I never hear of W&W Auction selling Marklin? I think ebay sellers and Traders have lots of successful bidding!

Sellers to listing items on ebay to make profits, The white strip with digital codes on inner package.. >Antiquetoys1 Ebay< >Ellis-Clark-Trains<

Stephen,

Around 98% of the Marklin sold was one guys collection, which he had asked W&W to dispose of, and yes, there were at least three main bidders for the Marklin who were Internet Dealers, as well as four or five boxes of wagons went to a telephone bidder, which could also have been a dealer.

For me the lots were aimed at dealers, there were many lots where you wanted one loco from say 5 or 6, which if you have time and interest you could sell on the other locos and keep the one you wanted, but then you still have to tie up your money and make the effort to sell the items on afterwards.

BR

Glenn
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 29 September 2014 18:36:53(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Glenn ,you were right as Ellis had won one of the lots I bid on so I have got in touch and done a good deal for one of the locos I was after. I have got a few locos from him this past year and find him verg good with his prices and always willing to do a deal. Take care Eddie ThumpUp ThumpUp

Eddie,

Good for you. He seems a sensible kind of guy who is always open to make a deal.

Best Regards

Glenn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM