Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline evildani  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2014 15:26:14(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
Hello Guys,

Long story short, I inherited a train set from my grand father that passed away 30 years ago. Recently I unboxed some of his old stuff and found the train. It appears it was used by my father to play with in his childhood and got forgotten for the last 40+ years.

Anyway, I open the box and found that the transformator was basicaly scrap, so I order a working one from ebay, it arrived yesterday. Promptly I tested the tracks and train. After some googling I found this nice forum that contains pictures of how the train is supposed to look like. And it is nothing like the one I have. After closer inspection I realized that some parts are missing, a lot of electric cabling is missing and one of the coils is kind of damaged.

I am attaching a link to google with the pictures of the parts that I think are missing/damaged.
https://plus.google.com/...2453118421041?banner=pwa

Do you think the trains is restorable?

Where can I get the parts?

Advice?

Many thanks?

Daniel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by evildani
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2014 15:35:26(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum.
The access to the gallery was denied so i "requested access".

I know there are some members here who know a lot about restoring models.
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline evildani  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2014 16:02:34(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
Thanks for the replay!

Here is the link again:
https://plus.google.com/...?authkey=CJ31rOr14tjh_AE

Also it seems the transformer is also damaged, at least there are some burn marks on the cabling.

Daniel
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2014 16:57:23(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
There definately is some work to be done. More pictures would be great though!
The DL800 is quite valuable in mint condition but I do not know what a restored DL800 would be worth. I personally do now know a lot about restoring old locos that are -that- old, but a start would be to try to clean it thoroughly. I am sure some of our other members can instruct you how and what to do.

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline evildani  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2014 19:23:00(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
I have uploaded more pictures, including the transformers and the wagons.
For the transformer, left is old, right is new.

Same link.

Thanks for looking and helping.

Daniel
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2014 19:43:08(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

Cool stuff!

Unfortunately the DL 800 is pretty far gone. If it is of serious sentimental value, then it can certainly be restored but it won't be cheap. Ritter restorations in Germany has most everything you need.

If not sentimental, I'd maybe sell it on ebay for parts- it should fetch some money...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Tiki734  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2014 05:08:42(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Daniel
The three passenger wagons are not worth restoring and are really beaten up. They might be worth $20 each. The transformers may be considered dangerous and could cause a fire if not fully rewired. However the DL800 is collectable as spare parts. It would cost 1000 Euros plus to get it restored and may be worth up to 1000 Euros when done. If you did it yourself you would significantly devalue it. If your not interested in selling and bothered about the value then you could do it as a labour of love. Spare parts would be 500 Euros. I would be tempted to sell and buy a better boxed one for the same money. To realise full value you would be better listing it on German ebay.
Roger
I just had a quick look at ebay.de and reviewed the selling prices. I think a more realistic value would be 500 Euros in its current state and maybe 800 Euros when restored. There have been excellent original green ones boxed sold for under 900 Euros. It's a hard decission from a sentimental viewpoint but you would be wasting a lot of money to restore in my opinion. In the not so distant past these models were more valuable but the internet has opened up the market and reduced their prices. Something that perhaps you would have never normally seen going to swapmeets or buying through a local sellers paper is now readily available at the flick of a few key strocks. Plus you can choose to spend as little or as much as you can afford.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tiki734
Offline evildani  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2014 17:02:51(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
Thanks for the replies!!!

If I were to restore it, it would be to a working state, but I would not restore it cosmetically. Frankly I would rather sell all the stuff I have on ebay: tracks, wagons and the DL800.
Would you guys think that the DL800 can be sold as is? Or do I need to pull it apart and sell it in german ebay?

Thanks!

Daniel
Offline Bayer  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2014 18:23:42(UTC)
Bayer

Hi Daniel

I've looked at your photos and made a list of whats missing:

2 contact plates for the lights
2 contact plates for overhead use
1 pick-up shoe
3 drive shafts
2 pantographs
And of course, as you've noticed yourself, it's missing a lot of the wiring.

The reverse unit looks to be in pretty rough condition, so you might have to find a another one. But test it before you throw it away, it might still work and only need a resoldering.
The mechanical light switching mechanism (the one located in the unit without motor) looks to be missing a contact, but I'm not sure. I need some more photos.

A mechanical restoration isn't impossible, but it will cost at least 150 Euros to get the missing parts.

The condition of the paint is pretty rough, and I don't think you will get more than 400-500 Euros for the train as is. I would sell it as is and not take it apart.

Kind regards,
Thor
Offline evildani  
#10 Posted : 17 September 2014 18:59:15(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
Thanks for the info Bayer.

Please let me know which photos you need, do you have an web page where I can take a look at the parts?
I can do all the rewiring myself, it is pretty easy if I have the diagram or pictures.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Offline Bayer  
#11 Posted : 17 September 2014 21:32:36(UTC)
Bayer

Hi again

I've made some pictures of some of the parts you're missing:

Contact plate for the lights:
UserPostedImage

Contact plate for overhead use:
UserPostedImage

The reverse unit is basically just a solenoid. You should have two wires coming out of it. In my photo you can see them both:
UserPostedImage

The mechanical light switching mechanism should look like this. You can compare it with yours:
UserPostedImage

Unfortunately I don't have a DL 800 myself, so I can't make an exact wiring diagram.

Regards,
Thor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bayer
Offline Yumgui  
#12 Posted : 17 September 2014 22:10:01(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Hi Daniel,

Concurring with most of the above posts, I would go for your own initial restoration before turning towards expensive professionals (ie. Ritter, etc ...), especially now that you have the part numbers from Bayer ^^ !

An in depth cleaning and some sound spare parts replacement/addition on your part will go a long way at first imho without necessarily all the fine paint finishes to follow ... As an old train model collector, I strongly believe that fine cosmetics take a back seat to sound mechanical functions first ...

Great project you have there !

Y ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline Tiki734  
#13 Posted : 18 September 2014 06:33:00(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Daniel
Yes you can most certainly sell the DL as is and would be better than stripping it down. Someone will buy it. I would probibly sell everything in one lot rather than split up as the rest of the set has very little use except for some spare parts. You can look at the restorer called Ritter in Germany to check prices of some spares. I personally would not spend any money on the DL as it's not an easy project and should only be attempted by experienced hobbiest.
Good luck
Roger
Offline Tiki734  
#14 Posted : 25 September 2014 11:32:43(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Daniel
Not sure if you are still watching for any replies but a green DL800 in an excellent boxed condition just sold for $937 on US EBay. This would put yours at about $400 but would probably sell for more.
Roger
Offline MS 800  
#15 Posted : 26 September 2014 03:43:11(UTC)
MS 800

Germany   
Hello, Daniel,

as the others already stated, everything is in a rather bad state. It seems to have been stored under awkward, moist conditions that caused this much corrosion. When I saw model trains in a state like that earlier I was inevitably reminded of an ancient treasure buried underground in the soil and unearthed recently. Obviously this state can also be reached by just storing the items in a box in a moist cellar, garage or garden shed Cursing.

Here is my opinion:

- The transformers are definitely not worth a thought different from the scrap iron bin.

- The wagons may earn some Euros on ebay, but they are not rare items. Thus the 20$ mentioned earlier are a quite optimistic estimate. You can get better ones for that price. But if you are thinking about restoring anything yourself, you can use them to practice cleaning, re-painting and stuff like that without losing any value - and even if you fail and end up with torsoes stripped from any colour they could probably earn the same prices at ebay as in the state they are in now.

- The only item to really think about is the DL 800. A little thorough cleaning in warm water with a drop of detergent and a soft brush would probably do a first good job in order to reveal the actual state.

The parts of the motor and the reversing switch can probably be repaired. The wiring can be renewed easily, but describing this in the forum is a tedious task and I refrain from that. I would recommend that you look for some model railroader in your vicinity to give you advice or even do it for you. Missing parts is a different theme. The lamp contacts I would certainly replace, but regarding the reversing of lighting with direction of travel and overhead operation the question arises as to how you actually want to run the loco. If you do not put any emphasis on a close to original state, there are chaeper and more reliable ways to achieve this. I should think, about three to four hours of work of an experienced MRR person would leave the DL 800 in a perfectly operational, though not original, state.

When it comes to restoring the cosmetic state of the casings, professional work is strongly recommended. Here you can really spoil (reselling) value. But again, everything depends on what you intend to do with the loco. Having done some practising with the wagons, you can see how good you are technically and if you feel safe to achieve good results for your private use you can do the loco housings as well. In this case, I would not try to mimick the original design, but do another, more personal one that makes the loco uniquely your handiwork. For example, the front of the housing depicts the Santa Fe warbonnet. So why not make use of this fact and chose an ATSF llivery? - just my lightweight opinion -

Best

MS 800
When we were kids we enjoyed our tinplate trains rattling over tinplate tracks - nowadays they're in need of sound decoders.
Offline evildani  
#16 Posted : 31 October 2014 03:19:52(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
Originally Posted by: MS 800 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, Daniel,

as the others already stated, everything is in a rather bad state. It seems to have been stored under awkward, moist conditions that caused this much corrosion. When I saw model trains in a state like that earlier I was inevitably reminded of an ancient treasure buried underground in the soil and unearthed recently. Obviously this state can also be reached by just storing the items in a box in a moist cellar, garage or garden shed Cursing.

Here is my opinion:

- The transformers are definitely not worth a thought different from the scrap iron bin.

- The wagons may earn some Euros on ebay, but they are not rare items. Thus the 20$ mentioned earlier are a quite optimistic estimate. You can get better ones for that price. But if you are thinking about restoring anything yourself, you can use them to practice cleaning, re-painting and stuff like that without losing any value - and even if you fail and end up with torsoes stripped from any colour they could probably earn the same prices at ebay as in the state they are in now.

- The only item to really think about is the DL 800. A little thorough cleaning in warm water with a drop of detergent and a soft brush would probably do a first good job in order to reveal the actual state.

The parts of the motor and the reversing switch can probably be repaired. The wiring can be renewed easily, but describing this in the forum is a tedious task and I refrain from that. I would recommend that you look for some model railroader in your vicinity to give you advice or even do it for you. Missing parts is a different theme. The lamp contacts I would certainly replace, but regarding the reversing of lighting with direction of travel and overhead operation the question arises as to how you actually want to run the loco. If you do not put any emphasis on a close to original state, there are chaeper and more reliable ways to achieve this. I should think, about three to four hours of work of an experienced MRR person would leave the DL 800 in a perfectly operational, though not original, state.

When it comes to restoring the cosmetic state of the casings, professional work is strongly recommended. Here you can really spoil (reselling) value. But again, everything depends on what you intend to do with the loco. Having done some practising with the wagons, you can see how good you are technically and if you feel safe to achieve good results for your private use you can do the loco housings as well. In this case, I would not try to mimick the original design, but do another, more personal one that makes the loco uniquely your handiwork. For example, the front of the housing depicts the Santa Fe warbonnet. So why not make use of this fact and chose an ATSF llivery? - just my lightweight opinion -

Best

MS 800

Thanks for the info. It has some sentimental value, enough for me to prefer to sell it to someone who really appreciate it. someone how would restore it and then send me a nice pic.

I am thinking about selling it on german eBay and shipping it internationally. I just need to find the time to get a german speaker friend to help me out.

Daniel
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#17 Posted : 31 October 2014 17:19:20(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: evildani Go to Quoted Post
Hello Guys,

Long story short, I inherited a train set from my grand father that passed away 30 years ago. Recently I unboxed some of his old stuff and found the train. It appears it was used by my father to play with in his childhood and got forgotten for the last 40+ years.

Anyway, I open the box and found that the transformator was basicaly scrap, so I order a working one from ebay, it arrived yesterday. Promptly I tested the tracks and train. After some googling I found this nice forum that contains pictures of how the train is supposed to look like. And it is nothing like the one I have. After closer inspection I realized that some parts are missing, a lot of electric cabling is missing and one of the coils is kind of damaged.

I am attaching a link to google with the pictures of the parts that I think are missing/damaged.

Advice?

Many thanks?

Daniel

Hello Daniel.
I have asked for access to view the photo's.

many regards Neil.
1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline evildani  
#18 Posted : 03 November 2014 19:31:27(UTC)
evildani

Colombia   
Originally Posted by: 20-VOLT-AC Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: evildani Go to Quoted Post
Hello Guys,

Advice?

Many thanks?

Daniel

Hello Daniel.
I have asked for access to view the photo's.

many regards Neil.

Its now public.

thanks for the replay.

Daniel
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#19 Posted : 04 November 2014 14:44:38(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   

Its now public.

thanks for the replay.

Daniel

Hello Daniel.

Thanks i will take a look at your DL

Neil.
1950's Marklin Fan .