Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline klafleur3  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2014 03:52:10(UTC)
klafleur3

United States   
Does anyone know what toggle switch I could use to turn off digital power to a Marklin 7686 turntable? Also, do I need to connect this switch to a Marklin k84 relay? If so why? I assume the toggle switch would have to be edited to work with the k84 relay, correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken
Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2014 04:20:16(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Ken,

Use a toggle switch or k84. See my tips page re programming the 7686 where I provide some wiring diagrams. Where I show a k84 contact you would use the toggle switch.

Originally Posted by: klafleur3 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know what toggle switch I could use to turn off digital power to a Marklin 7686 turntable? Also, do I need to connect this switch to a Marklin k84 relay? If so why? I assume the toggle switch would have to be edited to work with the k84 relay, correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken
Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2014 04:23:54(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Ken,

Since it is a 7686 you should have a digital decoder with it. So I'm not sure what power you want to turn off. The turntable should only move when you tell the decoder to move it through either a 6040 keyboard or your controller.

Perhaps you can explain what you are trying to achieve.

Peter

Now that I tracked down Ross' tips in another thread it is clear that he has spent a lot of time with these turntables. However, it is still not clear to me why you need to turn off the power to the decoder with either the toggle switch or K84. Is the decoder consuming controller power that you are trying to conserve or am I missing something?
Offline klafleur3  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2014 04:54:02(UTC)
klafleur3

United States   
The documentation I found on the internt recommended I turn Off and On the turntable without turning off the entire layout. Right now, the digital turntable is connected to the entire layout. I assume by having a toggle switch, I could turn Off/On the turntable when I really need it. Also, I wouldn't have to turn off/on the entire layout if I need to reprogram or index the turntable tracks thru my Marklin 6040 keyboard. That is the only way I can iget the keyboard in input mode and I only have 5 seconds to do it afte I turn off/on the power to the entire layout.

Finally, I assume this would provide me some protection if a train derails from messing up the index tracks somehow on the turntable. So, I assume the recommendation of connecting power to the turntable via a toggle switch and k84 relay was a good idea. But I'm not an electrician or expert in relays or toggle switches. It took me over a week searching the internet to learn how to connect and index the tracks on the turntable. I'm just delighted it finally works now.

Ken
Offline Ross  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2014 05:52:55(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Peter,

The reason to isolate the turntable decoder is if the turntable loses it position you can turn off the decoder, then turn it back on (without having to turn off the entire layout. You have only 5 seconds to implement the turntable recovery to get the turntable to its correct position.

Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Ken,

Since it is a 7686 you should have a digital decoder with it. So I'm not sure what power you want to turn off. The turntable should only move when you tell the decoder to move it through either a 6040 keyboard or your controller.

Perhaps you can explain what you are trying to achieve.

Peter

Now that I tracked down Ross' tips in another thread it is clear that he has spent a lot of time with these turntables. However, it is still not clear to me why you need to turn off the power to the decoder with either the toggle switch or K84. Is the decoder consuming controller power that you are trying to conserve or am I missing something?
Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross