Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2014 08:41:36(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

For those of us who run E Locks .

From what I can see The catenary has a slope in its construction on either side of the gap , when the train runs thru the panto slowly raises to a point it can no longer & then disengages from the contact wire , runs thru the gap & then the reverse occurs . At the same time there is a control system which opens the master circuit breaker to stop any arcing between the panto & the wire .

Cheers Tom in Oz.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2014 08:53:59(UTC)
H0

The description under the video reads: "The electric locomotives shut off power and lower the pantographs away from the wire as they pass through it. The process is automated."
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2014 09:22:39(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
The Video Description

"Published on Aug 29, 2014

Located just to the east of Coppabella is a gap in the overhead where they bring the over sized Tonka toys in to the mine. The electric locomotives shut off power and lower the pantographs away from the wire as they pass through it. The process is automated."
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Tom Jessop  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2014 12:20:52(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
From what I saw the pantos stay in the normal operating position , raising & lowering while powering would cause arc over while moving . I worked on elocs on coal ttrains for15 years doing things like that was asking for trouble . Do not believewhat is always printed espec on youtube .

Cheers Tom in Oz.

Online H0  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2014 14:12:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post
From what I saw the pantos stay in the normal operating position
At 0:16-0:19 I get the impression the panto goes down a bit. Could be an optical illusion as the angle of view changes.

raising & lowering while powering would cause arc over while moving
With respect to arcing it makes no difference whether the wire goes up or the panto goes down. No arcing, so loco draws no power while disconnecting (as written in the YT description).

Do not believewhat is always printed espec on youtube .
Yep.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2014 23:04:53(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Beg to differ , from my railway work experience , there is NO panto which can be partially lowered , it is fully up or fully down , there is a height stop along with a pressure measurement fitted to pantos to stop over travel & excessive tension being applied to the catenary .

Cheers Tom in Oz, where the sun has eventually been seen after almost a fortnight of heavy rain.
Offline Robert Davies  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2014 02:22:19(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   

Beg to differ , from my railway work experience , there is NO panto which can be partially lowered , it is fully up or fully down , there is a height stop along with a pressure measurement fitted to pantos to stop over travel & excessive tension being applied to the catenary .

Cheers Tom in Oz, where the sun has eventually been seen after almost a fortnight of heavy rain.

While I agree with what you say about partial lowering, when you say 'fully up', I presume you mean 'as far up as the contact wire will let it go'.

British locos and EMU's with pantographs are all fitted with an over-height switch which automatically drops the pantograph if it gets up to its maximum height. Operating at maximum height is never required by the overhead system design so the logic is that if it has got to maximum height, it must have come off the wire!
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2014 22:32:46(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
It appears that the wire height climbs up higher that the pantograph can go. There may be a process where the driver may set the throttle into neutral so that there is no current draw.

There could also be no current in the wires in the section where the wires climb so there would be no arcing. The wires are isolated from the main power and grounded or shielded to prevent arcing.

If I were designing this, I would have the wires climb out of the way. Someone or somehow, the pantograph may be forgotten to be lowered and cause damage and delay.

The pantograph high limit alarm would have to be disabled or removed.

There also has to be a means to maintain power to the electronics during the gap; either through large capacitor, batteries or generator. Failing that, I would expect the brakes would automatically engage when there is total loss.

This is neat to see! Thanks!
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh