Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline flashwebb  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2014 19:37:34(UTC)
flashwebb

Sweden   
Hi
If i want use märklin k83 to controlled the Viessmann turnout motor..How should i connect it???
Peter
Offline Robert Davies  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2014 23:36:38(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Viessmann turnout motors (4554) have their own decoder built into them so you don't need to use a k83 unit at all. In fact, as I discovered, using a k83 to control a 4554 confuses the turnout motor and may cause it not to respond.

This instruction book http://www.viessmann-modell.com...4_92560_02_DE-EN_web.pdf on pages 13 and 14 shows how to do it.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2014 12:22:26(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I know that this is a little off topic, however, I would like to ask this question.

Is this Viessmann turnout motor more reliable than the Marklin product? I am having a lot of trouble with the Marklin motors regarding reliability
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Robert Davies  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2014 22:03:06(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
I know that this is a little off topic, however, I would like to ask this question.

Is this Viessmann turnout motor more reliable than the Marklin product? I am having a lot of trouble with the Marklin motors regarding reliability

If that question is directed at me, I am afraid I don't know the answer because I have no operational Marklin point motors. There are plenty of threads here bemoaning the unreliability of the Marklin motors for both K- and C-track but on the other hand I suspect that there are sufficiently few Viessmann users here to be able to provide comparable statistics.

The reason I chose Viessmann motors was because they provide feedback on their position, not because I did not like Marklin motors. I have had no failures with my Viessmann motors but I must admit that they don't get that much use at the moment since the layout is still in development mode. I use K-track and the only piece of advice I would give is that, since the motor is not directly attached to the track, you must make sure that the motor and the track are always at the correct distance apart, either by screwing them both down or by using proprietary track bedding and screwing or glueing the motor to that.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2014 10:58:27(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

The Märklin motors are probably the worst there is. A long with the PIKO motors they tend to fail all the time. My Viessmann motor seems to be much more reliable. Until Märklin comes up with a new design, I will buy the Viessmann motor or nothing at all.

Also the Märklin "motor" is a classic magnetic accessory where the Viessmann product is an actual motor.

Check out my home page on the Viessmann motor: http://www.bahnfan.net/p...smann-4554-turnout-motor
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Hackcell  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2014 03:47:01(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

The Märklin motors are probably the worst there is. A long with the PIKO motors they tend to fail all the time. My Viessmann motor seems to be much more reliable. Until Märklin comes up with a new design, I will buy the Viessmann motor or nothing at all.

Also the Märklin "motor" is a classic magnetic accessory where the Viessmann product is an actual motor.

Check out my home page on the Viessmann motor: http://www.bahnfan.net/p...smann-4554-turnout-motor

Hi Søren,

I was reading your motor review and the "can not take power from the C track" part doesn't sound too encouraging.
Is it something that can be easily fix by replacing the wires or it is not that simple?

Cheers!
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline sjlauritsen  
#7 Posted : 01 September 2014 06:23:04(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
I was reading your motor review and the "can not take power from the C track" part doesn't sound too encouraging.
Is it something that can be easily fix by replacing the wires or it is not that simple?

It can definitely be fixed. This is the part of the motor that annoyed me the most. You need to connect the red/blue wire and the yellow wire to the red feeder, and the green/blue wire and the brown wire to the brown feed. I have seen solutions where people cut the wires to fit and attach a spade connector, but since both cables need to go into one spade connector it can be a fiddly process.

So, it is possible, it just does not come with a solution out of the box. While testing I just use a distribution strip next to the track. If I decide to get more motors I might find a more permanent solution for this.

With the Trix C-track there is a power output in the PCB underneath the track itself. If I want to use this output I would have to cut the wires on the motor and attacht a plug that will fit the output. The Märklin decoder and magnetic drive comes with cables ready to use for this output.

Another issue with any other solution than a distribution strip and plugs: Only the red/blue or green/blue wire is allowed to be connected when setting an address. Red is connected when using CC and green for MM. Whatever solution you go with, you need to be able to easily remove either the red/blue or green/blue wire if you ever have to set a new address.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Nielsenr  
#8 Posted : 01 September 2014 18:10:29(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
When I installed my Viessmann turnout motor/decoders I put a spade connector on each of the four wires and connected them to two sets of connectors under the C track. That way I can still easily reprogram them if necessary.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr