Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2014 02:55:52(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
For catenary buffs... what do you think of this system by Seimens running on California roads?
http://www.wired.co.uk/n...1/siemens-ehighway-tests
Mark5 attached the following image(s):
siemens3.jpg
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline MACER  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2014 04:01:09(UTC)
MACER

Argentina   

Hi MarkV

I dont not if this system is good, economic maybe, in USA all is possibly.

never off route, is impossible for other countries, energy costs are very up.

in end, perhap some day we see this trucks running for all sides.

Sincerelly

Macer
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MACER
Offline Andrey  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2014 08:06:53(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
Hi Mark,

If there were spring, I would think it's 1 April joke. Blink
I'm not considering economical aspects, but guess it's rather complicated for a driver to follow catenary wire. For that reason would be easiser to use one wider pantograph instead of two short slips.
I guess it is inadequate solution, anyway.

Best reagards, Andrey

P.S. Obviously not SEImens, but SIEmens
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Andrey
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2014 10:22:00(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I don't think that will be a hit..
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2014 10:34:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Andrey Go to Quoted Post
For that reason would be easiser to use one wider pantograph instead of two short slips.
You need two poles, so a single pantograph with a single wire won't work (unless a centre rail is also used).

I'm not considering economical aspects, but guess it's rather complicated for a driver to follow catenary wire.
There can be an alarm when it's going off. Could prevent some accidents when used on long highways.
As I understand it is meant for local traffic only in California, but AFAIK it was also tested in Scandinavia where it is meant for longer distances.

Buses with catenary are in use for many decades now - but many cities replaced them with diesel buses over time. Those buses use a different catenary that allows larger movements to left and right. But this system was not designed for higher speed.

If those trucks are meant to run long distances without catenary and only short distances under the wire, then this could add a lot extra weight to the trucks that is used infrequently.

The electric buses usually have a small auxiliary diesel engine only and are used primarily with electricity.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Andrey  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2014 13:19:38(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For that reason would be easiser to use one wider pantograph instead of two short slips.
You need two poles, so a single pantograph with a single wire won't work (unless a centre rail is also used).

Good point!

I'm not considering economical aspects, but guess it's rather complicated for a driver to follow catenary wire.
There can be an alarm when it's going off. Could prevent some accidents when used on long highways.
As I understand it is meant for local traffic only in California, but AFAIK it was also tested in Scandinavia where it is meant for longer distances.

Buses with catenary are in use for many decades now - but many cities replaced them with diesel buses over time. Those buses use a different catenary that allows larger movements to left and right. But this system was not designed for higher speed.

We still have in wide use trolleybuses and no signs they would be replaced - they proved themselves very well economically and ecologically.
You are true - trolleybuses allow larger movements and designed for much lower speed. Also drivers are well familiar with route they use daily. High-speed trucks are another deal...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andrey
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2014 13:23:08(UTC)
petestra

United States   
It's great for our environment if the drivers stay under it. Otherwise it could be a large disaster and I like catenary. Peter Mellow
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline rmsailor  
#8 Posted : 28 August 2014 14:51:29(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
California of course has the world's strictest anti-pollution laws.Trolley buses use a pole with a grooved wheel for pick-up which stay on the wire even when the bus pulls to the side. For a system with flat pans some method of automatically steering the vehicle would be required. Perhaps a wire under the tarmac like the Faller system. The system of course would only be viable if large number of vehicles were using it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 28 August 2014 17:05:35(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   

If those trucks are meant to run long distances without catenary and only short distances under the wire, then this could add a lot extra weight to the trucks that is used infrequently.

The electric buses usually have a small auxiliary diesel engine only and are used primarily with electricity.

Good thoughts Everyone,

Yes, I can't imagine it without auxiliary engine, and I hadn't thought about extra weight.

What do you think about the forward panto....as we know we often loose our own forward pantos, but our little systems have their own particular quirks.

About staying under the cat lines... I am guessing there would be priority and/or a dedicated lane for these.

- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?