Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2014 12:15:50(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I'm debating wether to get one of them or not, a Märklin 46010 Track Cleaning Wagon.

I've also been looking at the LUX wagons and add on polishing unit but the best prices I can find for them is pushing the €275 mark plus postage. 400 odd in Oz dollars is a bit over the top for a mobile vacume and polishing wagon in my books, hence the query about the Marklin 2 wagon 46010 set.

Any one have it and is it any good or are there other options, and I don't mean "elbow grease".Glare BigGrin
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2014 13:12:39(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I'm surprised, that there is only this track cleaning solution available from Märklin - and it is only for 10 years anniversary of Märklin club members.

Is a track cleaning not necessary before an age of 10 years???

I use the Noch Reinigungszwerge: http://www.noch.de/de/pr...inigungszwerge-2015.html

OK, I found Märklin 46042!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2014 13:34:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There's also the 46042 track cleaning wagon. It's not in stock at the moment, but the yellow light means it will return.

http://www.maerklin.com/...ch%2Fproduct_search.html

I have the 46042, and to be honest I have not found it very effective. I run it occasionally as part of a freight train, but as it does not get into all the sidings it is only partly effective.

I have also researched the LUX track cleaning wagons, and actually had them in my hand in a shop in Luxembourg. The shop owner wanted to sell me both the vacuum wagon and the polisher wagon, and he insisted that one was useless without the other. I did not have much of an appetite for spending around 300+ euro on the combination, so I dropped the idea.

I have not tried the Noch wagon suggested by Moritz.

At the moment I find no effective alternative to the "elbow grease" method, and I find this is best done after removing all the catenary, which I did this summer. It makes it a much time consuming job though!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2014 13:43:36(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have not tried the Noch wagon suggested by Moritz.

I like the Noch Putzzwerge, because it is not a special waggon but only the cleaning clip. You can put it to any waggon You want and it works well. The felt becomes black very fast, so it works.

I havn't tried yet, but I think, it is possible to replace the felt only and glue short felt by your own instead of replacing the Putzzwerg.

On the other hand, one Putzzwerg costs only 1,25€, that's not too much.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline waorb  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2014 14:35:05(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hi!

I'm happy for years with this wagon:

http://www.tonystrains.c...op-cmx-clean-machine.htm

IMHO worth it. I always use isopropyl alcohol.

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by waorb
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 27 August 2014 14:43:11(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've got all of them - the Lux vacuum car - the Lux track cleaning car - the Noch cleaning pads - the Lux wheel cleaner.

To be honest - none of the Lux products work as you would expect for their price. The Noch cleaning pads dollar for dollar are superior. As mentioned earlier they get dirty rather quickly and soaking them in some solution is the only way to clean them.

The Lux vacuum car make a loud noise while going around your layout giving you the impression that massive amounts of dust and dirt are being sucked up into the wagon. "The bark is louder than the bite".

The only reason I bought them was that I have a large layout and thought that this would be the easiest way to maintain the track. At this stage, nothing beats elbow grease.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2014 15:42:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
I like the Noch Putzzwerge, because it is not a special waggon but only the cleaning clip. You can put it to any waggon You want and it works well.
IMHO the Noch Putzzwerge are useful as a preventive measure only.
If you have visible black spots on the outer rails and run the car 20 times over it you will still have black spots on the rails.

So it's better to use elbow grease to remove the black spots. The Putzzwerge or the Märklin car can then be used to prevent new black spots.
Before putting a loco on the track, make sure it doesn't have oily traction tyres. I suspect the dirt on the outer rails comes primarily from oiled traction tyres.

I avoid abrasive cleaners like Roco Rubber or the Lux car with the default wheel.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2014 15:46:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
I've got all of them - the Lux vacuum car - the Lux track cleaning car - the Noch cleaning pads - the Lux wheel cleaner.

To be honest - none of the Lux products work as you would expect for their price.

Ah, so the Lux vacuum cleaner I ought on a second hand stall for £10 is about the right price then? Mind you it is a 2-rail one and I am spending a bit more on it to convert to 3-rail and it needed a new cleaning brush on the vacuum inlet. Along with that the motor wouldn't turn because the fan was fouling on the body work, but once I sorted that it runs fine ...

I also have a Pocher tank wagon which has a cast metal tank which makes it quite heavy. There is a screw top on it to fill the tank with cleaning fluid such as isopropyl alcohol, and then when you screw it in it adjusts an outlet that drips onto a pad similar to the Noch ones. Because the body is so heavy the pad is sprung to apply pressure to the track, so I suspect it will clean quite well.

Never having had a layout set up I haven't used it in anger. I'll try and find it and bring it to Nigels open house. If I find it I'll put a photo on here.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline witzlerh  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2014 20:53:46(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
There are lots of topics on dirty tracks. The 2 most common causes are over oiling of rolling stock and dust on track causing arcing.

Once you have dust on tracks, particuarily frogs on switches where the contact area is small, you will get arcing and deposit building up. This has to mechanically be removed by hand.

I want to get the Marklin track cleaning wagons as well. The Noch product and the CMX tank car cleaning pads work well in prolonging the hand cleaning. They do well to remove oil and dust while they are still in thin layers when used often enough. (once a week).

Once you see crud building up, then you have to use elbow grease. I do have a product that has pads on the end of a swivel stick. Woodland scenics has the tydy track system as well. This may get under the catenary in most places.
I personally use a white eraser dipped in wood alcholol (isopropal alcohol). I also glide the side of the eraser over the center rail pukos without pushing down.

At the railway club I belong to, we hand rub the layout twice a year and run the cleaning (wiping) cars over the tracks monthly. We also clean the wheels every second month or so. We also spot clean switches and problem loks as well as needed.

When you see you have messy track, also check your rolling stock too. No use having clean track when you have dirty wheels messing it up quickly.

I have run the LUX products, the vacumn does not suck much but does get the dust. The house vacumn would probably suck too much and remove vegitation and ballast. THe "grinder" with the felt would be effective if wetted with alcohol. THe abrasive attachement would get rid of the crud BUT will cause scratches that quickly attract new crud.

If you can use the cleaning cars regularly, you can prolong the hand cleaning.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline BrandonVA  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2014 21:15:53(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I have the 46042 wagon. It works ok if you run it regularly. As suggested above, this is more preventative than cleaning. Any hard spots you're going to have to work out by hand. I think the key to running the 46042 wagon is to change the pads very regularly. I bought some extra sets, and I rotate them through after they start looking pretty black. Peter suggested a while ago to use clothing detergent to clean the pads (soak them for a little while), then scrub them off with a toothbrush under running water. Sometimes I will run a loco with just this wagon while I am working on something else, let it clean as much of the mainline as it can get at once. As Ray said, sidings will be missed, but dust is more an issue there than traction marks (usually).

My only other method of cleaning are a soft cloth (for quick cleanups), or add iso alcohol for a better clean.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#11 Posted : 27 August 2014 22:00:24(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Brandon is right - you gotta run the 46042 fairly regularly - and change the pads OFTEN! I also bought a set of extra pads, and wash them in warm water, with dishwashing liquid, and a toothbrush. Works well....
My layout is in a converted garage- a complete concrete building, (Nice and cool in Summer, but freezing COLD now in the winter months); And in the present intense Cape Town winter I find I have more hassles with the rusting of the the centre studs than with dirt on the outer rails! The solution is to run my start set loco (BR81, or E186) at a fast pace round the layout (with the cleaning wagon in tow); the slider quickly takes off the oxidation after a few laps. In the sidings you need to be quick in stopping the loco before the end of the track, and then reversing out again. A few times back and forth are needed before all the oxidation is removed in each siding....A bit of a pain as all the wagons have to be removed, or parked elsewhere....
Looking forward to SUMMER!!
From a COLD WET Cape Town, Joe
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Tom Jessop  
#12 Posted : 28 August 2014 01:47:32(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Have a look at this page link

http://www.thkas-moba.de...gl_reinigung.html#Krause

The above link has photos of all current [late 90's early 2000's ] which were available at the time , some of which I have never heard of , No idea if they work or just a gimmick , I remember that MiWaLu in Hamburg run cleaning cars round in most of their freight train consists but they still have to do hand cleaning quite often during operation sessions .

I purchased a SCHIENEN - Boy a few years ago on Epay & found that although it is quite heavy it& does a clean of the running rails as well as the contact studs it still leaves a lot to be desired . In my opionion cleaning vehicles should be propelled in front of a locomotive to clean the way ahead but this vehicle can only be towed behind a loco ,On my vehicle the previous owner rigged up a pantograph on top which has been fitted with a worn piece of emery paper on the cross bow for catenary cleaning . I have also purchased a Conrads cleaning car which is a "M" build, again it only just removes a bit of dust & not the heavy stuff, I also use a PECO rubber along with Isop alcohol to remove the heavy stuff. heavy rust which appears on M Track usually gets cleaned with 2000 grade wet & dry then cleaned with Isop

Maybe we should set up a poll with the different types & comment if they really work on not .

Cheers Tom in a wet east coast of Oz

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Shamu  
#13 Posted : 28 August 2014 03:32:18(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thank you all for your replies and thoughts/experiences with various "cleaning wagons/attachments".

I had a sneaking suspicion that things had not improved since the 60's in this regard although as a preventative some of the options above would no doubt help matters between major clean ups.

When the kids were young and due to space (or lack of it) I had a "N" layout with framed Perspex sheets around the perimeter of the layout to keep little fingers away. I also had a "top" frame with 0.5mm clear film which although not the intended purpose did keep the grime and dust to a minimum.

I'm starting to think once the new layout is constructed I will attempt to replicate my old "N" solution although it will be many times larger. I guess my major concern will be the "hidden" areas and shadow station and the lack of "easy" access to enable "elbow grease" to be applied to those tracks. I was hoping that the "new" cleaning cars/wagons may have been a solution for the hard to get at areas.

Oh well, guess its the old "the more things change the more they stay the same", will keep looking and thanks again to all.

Shane

Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline MikeR  
#14 Posted : 28 August 2014 11:49:03(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Besides all the cleaning methods mentioned in previous posts, I am considering installing air conditioning to reduce the dust problem on my layout. Johannesburg has a dry winter with lots of dust so I reckon that this should at least reduce the problem of dust. I will still need to remove all the 'crud' from wheels and track but without the dust this might also be reduced. I oil my locos and wagons very rarely and then try and mop any excess oil from the oiling points.

The air conditioning should also make working on the train in winter more pleasurable as my train room is South facing (southern hemisphere) and therefore very cold in winter. It is nice and mild in summer.

Has anyone tested this hypothesis?
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline witzlerh  
#15 Posted : 28 August 2014 17:55:15(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
For dust control. If you have forced air heating/cooling, use 3M filtreat filters or any higher grade pleated filters. If you have an older furnace, you may need to get a sheet metal worker to increase the area on intake so that your fan does not work so hard to suck the air through the filters.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline MACER  
#16 Posted : 08 September 2014 04:59:47(UTC)
MACER

Argentina   
Hi alls

Many solutions for this problem, im working in this Marklin ex-wagon car for make an cleanertracks.

For exemple in my layout, when i dont not use the same, i put a coat of nylon over the layout and all right.

The tracks is cleaning for more time.

In humidity days is most easy the spot blacks on tracks, the rubber rings of locos carriyng filthiness is normal.

The Isopropilic alchohol is good, for here we clean with benzine rubber rings and wheels locos and its OK.

Many thanks

Macer

Edited by user 08 September 2014 17:04:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified