Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Andrey  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2014 10:31:10(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
Hi and thanks for viewing this topic!

Yekaterinburg children railway purchased narrow-gauge steam locomotive DH2T from Mansfeld, Germany.

UserPostedImage

DH2T-9 was built in 1931 at Orenstein & Koppel factory in Berlin:

UserPostedImage

and used as an industrial engine at Mansfeld Kombinat "Wilhelm Pieck". Maximum speed up to 35 km/h. Reported that there were totally 5 similar engines at Mansfeld Kombinat "Wilhelm Pieck".

Locomotive was brought to Yekaterinburg by train, than delivered to the city park by truck:

UserPostedImage

Children railway personnel say the engine is in great operational condition. Some restoration made already in Yekaterinburg and locomotive got new plates on the tanks:

UserPostedImage

She will be used for special occasions only, since maintenance looks rather expensive.

UserPostedImage

I hope that children’s activities with that engine will be supervised by competent senior staff because steam locomotive, even small, is not a toy.

Using of old steamer on children railway seems to be better than wasting her or scrapping, anyway.

I like this locomotive. She carries spirit of the epoche (s). Also I respect the Kombinat "Wilhelm Pieck" employees who maintained engine for so many years and kept her in such great condition.

Best regards, Andrey Smile
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Andrey
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2014 10:34:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Lovely old engine, Andrey!

I hope she gives pleasure to the children (and adults) for a long time to come!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Robert Davies  
#3 Posted : 25 August 2014 20:11:29(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Thanks for showing us this, Andrey - an interesting post. I have been to the railway involved and have done some more digging, so here goes

This loco came from the Mansfelder Bergwerksbahn, which uses the trackage and locos of the railway associated with the former industrial company Mansfeld Kombinat. It has its headquarters and locomotive works in Klostermansfeld in the Harz region of Germany, state of Sachsen-Anhalt (just inside what was former Eastern Germany).

The Mansfeld Kombinat was the coming together of a large number of smaller companies in 1948 and the full title of the organisation was the Mansfeld Kombinat Wilhelm Pieck, named in honour of Wilhelm Pieck, the first President of the German Democratic Republic.

This link http://www.iks.hs-merseburg.de/...menu/index-fahrzeuge.htm shows the locos on their roster, including the one referred to by Andrey and also has a report on its move to Russia.

This railway has another Russian link, which is its loco No.20 (see the webpage). This loco was built by Lokomotivbau Karl Marx Babelsberg (near Berlin), which was formerly the famous locomotive firm of Orenstein & Koppel (see also the details for No. 9 in Andrey's post), and was intended for use in Russia. However, it was kept back for use by the Mansfeld Kombinat company because the output of the company (iron, steel and copper) largely went to Russia and without some serviceable locos, this output would have dried up. The Russian connection is evident in a plate on the steam dome which gives the manufacturing details of the locomotive in Russian script. I believe that No. 20 also had a twin (no.19) on the railway, but that is long gone.

These details were as told to me by the manager of the loco works on the Mansfelder Bergwerksbahn and the group I was with went for a trip on the railway behind no.20, so I can vouch for the plate on the dome.

This area is well worth a visit also because the of the proximity to the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen (see http://www.hsb-wr.de/) which everyone interested in modern operational steam trains should take a look at (if only by looking at some YouTube clips!).

Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline Andrey  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2014 08:23:05(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
Thank you, Robert, for your valuable input and link. ThumpUp
It was interesting to know that locomotive Dh2 3T5 (#20) was intended to send to the USSR as a part of reparations, but left in Germany to serve for Mansfeld Kombinat.
And Dh2T (#9) was intended to use in Germany, but eventually found herself in Russia...
Small locomotives with long fates... Still operational and it's good!

Best regards, Andrey

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andrey