Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2014 13:10:28(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys ,I ran all my locos yesterday and while after a bit of promting with some everything ran as it should except one .My little Primex E63 which as far as I can tell has very little use for some reason on my track which is a 4x8 oval runs fine on the straight sections but at all the corners it gets the shakes. I checked the traction tires but they seem ok and also if it was the tires it should also shake on all the track. The track is C track with r2 curvesand the tires are on straight with no kinks etc. What gives ? Take care Eddie Confused Confused Confused
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2014 13:51:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Eddie,

What do you mean by "the shakes"? Is it a "swing from side to side" sort of shaking or an "up and down" movement, or it it a "lunging back and forth" type of action?

Whenever I get jerky running it is usually worse on the straights than on corners, but this sounds like something else.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2014 14:11:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
a.) the E 63 has bigger wheel flanges, b.) the rod is held by hexagonal screws and the length is different so you may have switched the screws, c.) make sure the distance of the axles is correct (gauge), d.) make sure the hexagonal screws are tight and not loose, e.) make sure the wheels are correctly lined up, the tiniest out of balance can cause this. if none of these suggestions solve the problem, take it to a doctor and check if for uneven heartbeats in curves

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2014 14:33:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys ,I ran all my locos yesterday and while after a bit of promting with some everything ran as it should except one .My little Primex E63 which as far as I can tell has very little use for some reason on my track which is a 4x8 oval runs fine on the straight sections but at all the corners it gets the shakes. I checked the traction tires but they seem ok and also if it was the tires it should also shake on all the track. The track is C track with r2 curvesand the tires are on straight with no kinks etc. What gives ? Take care Eddie Confused Confused Confused

Hello Eddie and Ray

Yes, through the years I have indeed witnessed the same phenomenon on several copies of the E63s

It is just a little more sensitive than other locos, because of the predominance of the weight distribution on the third axle (the one with the tires)Sad

Originally (1950's) this fault did not show up , as the tires were made of nylon and were still somewhat "slipery"Wink

But with the better performance of the current neoprene ones, the long nose/front axle has a tendency to lift and even derails if the lok pulls a load.
Not a real problem (except visually) in the straights, but annoying in curves.Crying

**The difficulty is amplified when the lok is converted to digital**:the weight of the decoder is usually far less than the original electro-mechanical inverter...thus there is less "ballast" on the lok's nose which has then even more of a tendency to lift.

I simply solved the problem by adding some additional weight under/around the decoder (I use lead putty, available in the model aircraft trade)

Also the slightest (angular) shift of one or several wheels will cause a jerking effect...but that would then just be also very visible in straights!Wink

Hope I guessed right, short of seeing a video...??BigGrin

Let us know.Wink

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2014 14:39:18(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
a.).... if none of these suggestions solve the problem, take it to a doctor and check if for uneven heartbeats in curves
John

Laugh Laugh LOL LOL
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline MalinAC  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2014 15:20:23(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks ,Ray,John and Jacques, I just ran it again and it runs not too bad with short end first, [traction tire first], but with long end first it leans to outside of curve and shakes side to side and on one curve front wheel jumped track. Which leads me to think that Jacques suggestion that one end is heavier than the other so I will get some weight and see if that sorts thing out. I dont think I will take to doc as he would want an arm and a leg to sort it out. Its not one of my favourite locos but came with some others in a package deal, but would like it to run ok.When I first got it everything was frozen and took a good hour to free up the wheels and axles and re oil etc. Thanks again guys. Eddie
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 22 August 2014 15:36:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
When Jacques mentioned the weight I slightly remembered one of my E 63 had this problem owning 4 and converting so many locos in the past, I loose track of all the different and slight problems which occur sometimes during my journey.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 22 August 2014 17:48:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Eddie,

I think we're on the right track with the weight distribution. I had a similar problem on an older Br38, which has a tendancy to be light on the rear axle. When I converted it to digital the loco would not stay on the track when running backwards in curves.

I used the same solution as Jacques has suggested, and added lead weights over the axle that was "jumping" the track. It now runs perfectly.

By the way, I believe the front of these locos was the end with the short hood, so I often run my E63 and also my E60 like this. Both locos run more smoothly in this direction.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF