Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2014 07:29:23(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

I know what I want, it's just... finding it seems to be a problem.

I found a seller for second hand a Roco MZ 1414 - have been in contact and he was happy to post it to me, but have since heard nothing... Roco doesn't make them anymore, and the brown one appears to be way more popular on the market but I really want the red/black one. Should I compromise?

Also, really want the 29670 starter set, but they don't make it anymore, and I can't find anyone selling one. Speaking to a dealer though, it's worth buying a starter set because they are very good value, but none of the sets interest me that much. I was then thinking of going for the reasonably priced 29711, but the loco is an "FX" whatever that means, and appears to have virtually no functions?

Maybe I should go for this set just to get started though, and just expand from that? Can the loco be upgraded? Can it have telex couplers fitted?

Some of the £1000+ sets look cool though, and I still eventually want a Central Station

Another question, the DSB MY frequently ran in double-loco configurations but it doesn't look like anyone makes a dummy MY1100 unless someone knows any different? Maybe I need to get a broken analogue model and remove the gears BigGrin

So, still not got anything to play with Bored
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2014 12:40:02(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Roco doesn't make them anymore, and the brown one appears to be way more popular on the market but I really want the red/black one. Should I compromise?

It depends on the period you want to model. The brown livery is more popular because people tend to think that the first colour was the nicest. I like them both. The 1414 was painted red/black ("Design livery") in 1985 and in 2001 it left the DSB to work for Railion Denmark (now DB Schenker Rail). You can find a lot of pictures on the 1414's page here: http://www.jernbanen.dk/motor_solo.php?s=8&lokid=78&n=dsb-mz-1414

Later it was sold to Sweden: http://www.jernbanen.dk/motor_solo.php?s=182&lokid=964

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2014 08:34:27(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Thanks Søren - would it be heresy to buy a brown one and paint it red/black LOL

I'm really struggling getting started with all this as I gave up on buying a starter set because I didn't fancy any of them...

Decided to buy all the bits myself but it seem very commplicated. I *think* I need a 60653, 60113 and 66361 after many hours of Googling, but it has been impossible to find out how you actually hook it up to the track?

Also, I have decided to go for C-tracks, but even that has been made complicated!

You can't just use straight tracks anymore, it has to alternate between two lengths... Seriously?! Why??

And I was happy to see the addition of gentler curvers over the old M-track, but all the points are still R1, so don't really work with the curves.

And if you want to do a double track R4/R5 oval, the distance between the two tracks are wrong compared to the distance at the station using points, so it will just end up looking silly.

And the slim points don't match any of the curves either, as far as I can see. And you can't get slim 3-way points and X's (name?).
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Online H0  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2014 08:43:26(UTC)
H0

Decided to buy all the bits myself but it seem very commplicated. I *think* I need a 60653, 60113 and 66361 after many hours of Googling, but it has been impossible to find out how you actually hook it up to the track?
Many eBay sellers offer these three items as sets, coming from starter sets. The 60113 has cables with spade connectors for C track, so hooking up is easy.

You can't just use straight tracks anymore, it has to alternate between two lengths... Seriously?! Why???).
It's not possible to make very short pieces of C track like they did with M track. So they make pieces with a little difference in length.
188 mm at 24° is the same as 172 mm at 0°.

And I was happy to see the addition of gentler curvers over the old M-track, but all the points are still R1, so don't really work with the curves.
The only R1 turnouts are the curved turnouts. Normal turnouts are R2.

And if you want to do a double track R4/R5 oval, the distance between the two tracks are wrong compared to the distance at the station using points, so it will just end up looking silly.
The distance between R3 and R4 or R4 and R5 suits the slim turnouts.
The track spacing of 64 mm is closer to the prototype, but works for larger radii only.

Slim turnouts are R9. You can get 12° pieces for R9.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline morsing  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2014 08:57:10(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Thanks Tom, very helpful.

I spent hours looking at this last night, but no-where was this put simply like you've just done.

-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline morsing  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2014 09:27:32(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

So, looking around, you can't get double slim switches (X) or three way ones, so building up your station the double mainline has to be kept free of those items, and the rest of the station will look different?

What would you recommend I start with?
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Online H0  
#7 Posted : 22 August 2014 09:59:09(UTC)
H0

Double slim switches are "announced" for 2016 or so, but first there will be large curved turnouts (2015 or so).

I'd expect the double slim switch to have the same dimensions as the slim crossing. So maybe start with a slim crossing, but do not finalize that area and replace it with a double switch ASAP.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 22 August 2014 12:51:45(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi,

Working with C track, I am notorious for playing tricks on the track geometry by combining all available track pieces and radii. E.g., R1 curved turnouts can be combined with largest radii, and clearance between tracks can be varied when "coming out of a curve". I attach a first draft of my shadow station entrance - avoiding R1 curves except for the curved turnouts - to give you an idea. The layout allows 27 cm coaches to pass each other.

There are infinite possibilities, but one has to frolic around a lot to get the feeling. Took me years... RollEyes

P.S. For me easements at the beginnings of curves are key, which improve the performance (= look) of longer coaches entering and leaving curves. Even in front of a tight R1 curve, a piece of R9 can do wonders - see: https://www.marklin-user...-m-x-2-m.aspx#post465397
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
throat.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek