Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2014 19:30:44(UTC)
Goofy

What is the longest time you have been waiting for,to repair yours locomotives/digital system with warranty to Märklin?
I did asked an hobby store and they did answer standard is about 6-12 weeks,or even faster but seldom.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2014 19:45:11(UTC)
H0

Longest warranty repair was 11.5 months for me - for an item that was overdue for about 2 years.
Latest warranty repair arrived at Göppingen three months ago and isn't back yet.

I once waited more than 12 months for spare parts for a DIY repair.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2014 19:52:18(UTC)
Goofy

Sad
H0
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2014 20:11:49(UTC)
Webmaster

Haven't had any warranty repairs, must be lucky....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Herrfleck  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2014 20:22:36(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
Hello!

I only had 1 warranty repair. It took 7 weeks.

It was my BR 94 and it works perfectlyThumpUp ThumpUp

THANKS MÄRKLINThumpUp ThumpUp

Always happy with MärklinSmile

Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2014 20:26:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
No warrenty failures yet, but at some point it's bound to happen. Hopefully not very often!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2014 20:31:38(UTC)
petestra

United States   
The only warranty problem I had was with three analog Trafos. I sent them to Germany and got them back in about 3 weeks. I believe they were

replaced. It was great service even though I paid the shipping. Peter Huh
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2014 20:50:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have send few locos back to Marklin with warranty, Two back 2-3 weeks and one 6-8 weeks.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2014 20:51:23(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Herrfleck Go to Quoted Post
I only had 1 warranty repair. It took 7 weeks.

That's the one Dieter Lorenz took with him when we were in Malmö at the digital meeting, right?

How about that, a great service-minded Märklin employee personally takes a warranty repair issue with him back to Göppingen...
If that isn't great service, then I don't know what great service is...

As usual, a company can have "bad luck/attitude" moments in service efforts too - but this was great moment to witness...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline utkan  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2014 21:16:29(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Since 1973, I have not had a single problem of my humble fleet, except having to change minor spare parts of locos.....I must be lucky.....LOL LOL LOL or somethingelse....RollEyes

but one thing I must admit , whenever I got in contact with Mother M* for a missing/broken part for an article I got as a second-hand item, the management have solved my problem in terms of days not even a week....ThumpUp Wub Wub

m.utkan

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline sjlauritsen  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2014 21:25:42(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I have a BR 218 with a defunct motor. The motor is currently not available, so the BR 218 waits patiently in its box. I have no clue when the motor is available again. I wish Märklin had a "send me an email when item arrives at the warehouse" feature. :-)
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2014 21:43:49(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I have not had to send back anything since nothing has broken down. Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline MikeR  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2014 22:39:38(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
I sent an item to Marklin in January for a warranty repair and received it back last month - approximately 6 months later. However the dealer made a mistake and sent the item from SA to Germany by surface mail; so 3 months of the time was taken getting the item to Germany. Previously I returned two items for warranty repairs and including air freight it took 3 months for them to be returned. In one case the item was out of warranty but had hardly been used. M* did the repair free of charge.

I am happy with this turnaround time as in all cases the items were returned in full working order. I would rather have the repair done properly than have a rushed job which may need to be returned a second time.

Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline Yumgui  
#14 Posted : 21 August 2014 22:57:12(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Y'all,

Everything I buy is so old that no warranty/guarantee ever exists ...

So I just fix the stuff ... period !

Y ^^ Wink
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 22 August 2014 12:20:20(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
I have not ever required a repair under warranty from Märklin

PJ
Offline Cyborg  
#16 Posted : 22 August 2014 14:03:52(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi all,

I have had to send a locomotive, mobile station, and numerous turnout motors. The average turn-around time is 2 months from the time I send the item from Australia to when I get it back. I have found Marklin to be excellent in supporting their products with virtually no questions asked. The only issues I have is their lack of communication with them not replying to emails or giving an idea or notification that the item has been repaired and shipped back. It is always a surprise when an item turns up from Germany!

Regards

Paul
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 22 August 2014 15:59:03(UTC)
H0

In the last twelve years I must have sent more than a dozen parcels to Göppingen for warranty repairs. To economize the postage there normally was more than one item in the parcels.

Additionally I returned four defective locos directly to the dealer - three for repair or exchange, one for a refund.

Amongst the defective locos there was one with a mouse-piano decoder, one with a programmable fx decoder, and many with mfx decoders.

The parcels included a few locos with compact C-Sine motors. While fully operational, the locos didn't run well and Märklin upgraded them with the driver electronics that were also used with the SDS locos.

Several of the defects showed the lack of quality checks at the factory. Two locos went back because the lights didn't work properly.
One loco had stuttering sound because the sound upload to the decoder must have failed half way. One BR 53 went back because the unpowered coupled axles were locking up.
I'm always amused when they tell us on Märklin TV that every single locos get thoroughly tested before it is put in a box.

Two mfx decoders came with the serial number 0xFFFFFFFF - which means no serial number had been set at the factory, leading to problems with the automatic mfx registration.

One loco with a defective speaker but loco was still operational. One loco that was dead like a stone after running a few meters.
One defective MS1 that malfunctioned short before the end of the warranty period.
One defective MS2 that malfunctioned after two or three hours of use.

With the compact C-Sine locos I had to wait many months before spare parts were available for repairs. Locos were operational and I returned them after spare parts were available.
Repair time was OK in most cases.
Most repairs were OK the first time.

I mentioned the mfx decoders without serial numbers. I returned them because they had no serial numbers. Märklin sent them back writing they had no serial numbers. I wrote them that was exactly the problem. Two days later I got a parcel with new decoders and they asked to return the faulty decoders.
So my parcel had been given to an inexperienced service person, but they got it right the second time.

Nice to hear that some users never had to return items to Märklin. I have had fewer problems with Roco and no problems at all with Fleischmann so far.
I cannot say that Märklin quality is better than that of other brands - it's rather to the contrary. This is my experience, but your mileage may vary.
Most of the problems I had with Märklin products were with items from the post-mouse-piano era, the post-"Made in Germany" era.

Experience may depend on where you live and where you buy. There is a video by MSL where they show that every items that gets send abroad is thoroughly tested at the shop. They don't do that for German customers, so German customers may have a higher complaints rate than foreign customers - at least with MSL.
That's OK for me.

With three Märklin items I soldered lose or missing wires, so they didn't go to Märklin Service at all.

Sorry for being a bit off topic.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 22 August 2014 20:04:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Not at all off topic!

Thanks for giving us an idea of your experiences with warranty failures.

As I posted before, I haven't had to return anything yet, but that doesn't mean I'll never have to. I think you've bought a lot more than I have over the years so you're more likely to have been caught out.

I expect that some things will fail after a short time. These are known as "out of box failures" and are common in the electronics industry. If something arrives already dead it doesn't mean it hasn't been tested. The test might have been the last time it worked!

It is gratifying that some dealers will test locos before sending them. This should be done by all dealers whether the sale is for mail order or over the counter. Lets hope they continue to do this to minimise the number of overseas customers having to send their new purchases back thousands of kilometers.
Ray
Offline lglarsson  
#19 Posted : 22 August 2014 22:01:40(UTC)
lglarsson

Sweden   
Hi all
I've sent five loks for repair to Märklin. The fastest one return took 2 weeks and longest one took 8 weeks. I will say that I'm satisfied with that service.
Regards
LG
Märklin collector/K-track, permanent layout since 1985/60214 CS2, CS3+, 60174 Boosters/WinDigipet, WinTrack, Collection/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lglarsson
Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 22 August 2014 22:40:00(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Please note - From 2012/2013 New MHI and Insider models will have five years warranty.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Goofy  
#21 Posted : 23 August 2014 14:58:36(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Please note - From 2012/2013 New MHI and Insider models will have five years warranty.

True Steven...but that is not about topic.

H0
Offline RayF  
#22 Posted : 23 August 2014 15:26:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

It's useful information related to the topic.

If the warranty period has gone up to 5 years on MHI models then there should be, in theory, more warranty repairs. This could possibly affect the time that Marklin takes to repair items.
Ray
Offline Goofy  
#23 Posted : 23 August 2014 15:32:02(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

It's useful information related to the topic.

If the warranty period has gone up to 5 years on MHI models then there should be, in theory, more warranty repairs. This could possibly affect the time that Marklin takes to repair items.

Topic is about how long you must wait for repair yours locomotiv(s),before you get them back.
With or without warranty,it doesn´t matter.
H0
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 23 August 2014 16:56:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Ok. Whatever!
Ray
Offline Western Pacific  
#25 Posted : 23 August 2014 22:16:46(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   

A couple of year's back I had an Rc of SJ (37416) with a decoder that didn't work in digital, only in analog. It was sent back by the dealer, but I have no idea how long it was away any more because it was not any exceptionally long time, taking into account that sending something from Stockholm, Sweden to Göppingen takes about a week. This means that two weeks is the minimum time, but I think it could have been a month or two, but nothing that I reacted to and that's why I don't remember how long time it took.
User is suspended until 21/07/4752 11:48:10(UTC) Barguest  
#26 Posted : 24 August 2014 01:13:15(UTC)
Barguest

i not ever use marklin warranty -by time i need warranty is died long time

"It's useful information related to the topic."
not relate topic. topic is relate customer experience past how long to get back not how length is warranty

Alias for Mulldog Lemmon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Barguest
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 24 August 2014 10:02:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Barguest Go to Quoted Post

not relate topic. topic is relate customer experience past how long to get back not how length is warranty

Ok, I'm sorry! I was defending our friend Stephen who I thought had made a contribution of general interest to the topic, so there's no need to jump down my throat!

Barguest (and/or Goofy), I will try to stay strictly on topic from now on, as there seems to be little willingness on this forum to give others a bit of leeway these days.

Edit:

For information, this is Goofy's original question:

Quote:
What is the longest time you have been waiting for,to repair yours locomotives/digital system with warranty to Märklin?

So what is the problem with talking about the warranty?
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Purellum  
#28 Posted : 24 August 2014 10:33:42(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I find Stephens information extremely useful, since I didn't know this.

Thanks Steventrain BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#29 Posted : 24 August 2014 15:05:17(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Barguest Go to Quoted Post

Ok, I'm sorry! I was defending our friend Stephen who I thought had made a contribution of general interest to the topic, so there's no need to jump down my throat!

Barguest (and/or Goofy), I will try to stay strictly on topic from now on, as there seems to be little willingness on this forum to give others a bit of leeway these days.

Edit:

For information, this is Goofy's original question:

Quote:

So what is the problem with talking about the warranty?

Without warranty,you must pay fully for the service from Märklin.
Why is that so hard to understand!??

I did created topic about service in long time,before you get locomotiv(s)/digital system back after repair with warranty.
Not sure if it is same about without warranty...

Blink

H0
Offline RayF  
#30 Posted : 24 August 2014 15:56:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry, I don't quite get your point.

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to understand what you mean, Anders. Maybe we should just leave it at that.
Ray
Offline Purellum  
#31 Posted : 24 August 2014 15:58:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:
Not sure if it is same about without warranty...

Interesting question !!

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 12 October 2014 10:06:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Latest warranty repair arrived at Göppingen three months ago and isn't back yet.
Update: Loco isn't back yet, but I heard it was repaired and will be sent soon.
Less than six months repair time for a 2013 new item. Very impressive (but not positive).
Some unanswered questions are still under investigation.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#33 Posted : 12 October 2014 10:11:39(UTC)
Goofy

Update: Loco isn't back yet, but I heard it was repaired and will be sent soon.
Less than six months repair time for a 2013 new item. Very impressive (but not positive).
Some unanswered questions are still under investigation.

Do you see Märklins service as a joke and terrible?

H0
Offline Purellum  
#34 Posted : 12 October 2014 10:26:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:

I think this topic is about repair time.

I see a lot of very bad jokes and terrible behaviour; but that has nothing to do with this topic, and shouldn't be here at all, IMHO.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#35 Posted : 12 October 2014 10:36:30(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Quote:

I think this topic is about repair time.

I see a lot of very bad jokes and terrible behaviour; but that has nothing to do with this topic, and shouldn't be here at all, IMHO.

Per.

Cool

I did stand an question to Tom,who do have same problem with warranty repair time,which i also do same with my BR64 locomotiv with bad sound decoder.
Yours answer is not even responsibility.

H0
Offline Purellum  
#36 Posted : 12 October 2014 10:45:09(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:

You are wrong. I feel responsible for my answer.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 12 October 2014 10:59:17(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Quote:

You are wrong. I feel responsible for my answer.

Per.

Cool

Which was not even correct answer about topic.

H0
Offline H0  
#38 Posted : 12 October 2014 11:07:58(UTC)
H0

Five months after the arrival of my loco at Göppingen it turned out that the decoder recommended in the loco manual is not suitable for the loco.
Replacing the loco PCB (that was defective right from the start, but obviously was not tested before shipping the loco) took them five months. IMHO a long time for a 2013 new item that was returned shortly after purchase.
Replacing the PCB did not solve all the problems. The recommended Märklin 60942 is not suitable for this loco, I was told. A 60942 with very special Märklin programming solves the problem, I was told.

The repair service is not a joke. The lack of quality assurance and testing during development is a bad joke. The quality of the documentation is another bad joke.

SUSI is a standard interface - at least it should be. SUSI, as implemented in the normal 60942, does not work properly with the SUSI as implemented in TRIX 22779 and Märklin 37577, I was told.

I don't know where this stuff was engineered. But it went into series production without thorough prototype testing. It's a joke. But it's not funny.
The repair times depend on the availability of spare parts. Another area that was recently economized by Märklin.

Other companies use decoders with nine function outputs and connect the lights directly to the decoder outputs.

Märklin recommend decoders with six function outputs, but four outputs remain unused. Instead a lot of "birdseed" on the loco PCB is used to switch the lights via SUSI. An expensive solution without advantages, but with disadvantages.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage