Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2014 07:35:47(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
So, curious here, as when I last had trains as a child I would just run them around in circles...

So what do you do? Do you have a plan? Do you have a schedule? Is it written down? (I've seen videos on Youtube where people have cards and lists of what they're doing).

How automated is your set-up? Can/do you set-up trains to run automatically whilst running others manually? Do you move stock around?

Thanks for any tips
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by morsing
Offline seatrains  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2014 07:43:52(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Professional train and building "hoarder" according to the Financial Director...eventually would like a vintage analog layout and a digital layout (modern-ish era SBB)BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline ozzman  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2014 08:49:10(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Yes, some people have written schedules, and some run their trains as the mood takes them. The real question is: what do YOU want to do with your trains?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2014 09:13:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I guess you could say I collect trains, as I have way more than I actually need on my layout.

However, I do like to run my trains. Because the layout is small I have no scope for automation, timetables, etc. What I do is run them to a sequence.

At any one time I have up to five trains on the layout and these will be as follows:

A fast passenger train
A commuter or branch passenger train
A "heavy" freight of up to 15 wagons
A light freight or maintenance train of up to 5 wagons
A shunting engine pulling one or two wagons, or a spare loco for the express.

Typically I will run the fast passenger a few laps and then stop at the station. A few moments later the smaller passenger train will depart, and trundle off round the circuit. After it has run for a while I will bring it into the station, clearing the main line for a freight.
The long freight has to be made up in the goods yard, as my longest siding will only take 6 wagons. When complete this train will make it's way to the main line and make a few circuits. When I'm tired of seeing it run I will bring it into the yard again and distribute the wagons between the different sidings.
Next I will run my light freight train. Sometimes this is a breakdown train or track maintenance train. After it has run for a while it will return to the goods yard.
If I have a shunting engine as my fifth train I will typically use it to collect a wagon or two from the sidings and run them around the layout. It will drop these wagons off at another siding or take them to the maintenance facility to deliver oil or coal.
The fifth engine is sometimes another large engine. This will sit in the maintenance yard until required. When the express passenger stops at the station I will uncouple its engine and replace it with the spare loco from the yard. The train's loco will then go into the maintenance yard.

I run the sequence with one set of trains for a week or two, and then I swap the trains for the next set of four or five in my collection. I'm methodical about this so that no train gets more or less use than any other. Each set will consist of four or five trains as I have described above. Every set is consistent, so that the trains in that set all go together well as far as period and/or geography is concerned.

At present I have over 25 of these sets of trains, so that each gets run approximately twice a year, if you do the maths.

The picture shows a typical "set" or "scenario". In this case it is Era IV blue/cream period DB trains
RayF attached the following image(s):
Trains 17Nov13.JPG
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2014 09:25:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
So, curious here, as when I last had trains as a child I would just run them around in circles...

So what do you do? Do you have a plan? Do you have a schedule? Is it written down? (I've seen videos on Youtube where people have cards and lists of what they're doing).

How automated is your set-up? Can/do you set-up trains to run automatically whilst running others manually? Do you move stock around?

Thanks for any tips

Talk about a loaded question... Laugh

For me;

1: Look at them
2: Look at them some more
3: Check again just to make sure

I have only a small layout at present, 2x1m, it's an original factory display layout with 3 ovals and 2-siding storage yard. I guess maybe every few days I crank it up and give the trains a run. It's set for fully automatic operation so I can basically "set and forget", rarely have any derailments but sometimes a coupler will let go, particularly my Thomas set with Annie & Clarabel, I find one of those coaches is happier one way round than the other.

Sometimes I will make up a consist of items I've not run for a while but because I tend to keep things in their original boxes (until I have a better way to display them) I am conscious of too much handling of the packaging. Remembering of course the primary design of boxes is to get the item safely from the factory to me, and robust as they are Märklin have not really designed them for repeated opening & closing.

(Slight diversion off-topic but if Marklin were to design and release heavy-duty packaging for various models designed specifically for those who want to take items to shows or store for regular use at home etc but also giving maximum protection, there might be a bit of an un-tapped market there - ie think of the case your battery drill probably came in - molded to protect the item, robust, and designed to be opened/closed many times over year after year) ??

I also love tinkering and tidying up old rolling stock so when I do, I give them a decent run around, and of course any loco's I service as well. Although it's wired for analogue auto operation, I usually run it with my Intellibox/6022 Central Control combo. From the factory each oval has it's own Trafo and it's still wired for that but usually I just common the leads all together and run it Digital, this enables me to set better matching speeds for each of the trains to suit. Often I'll run an analogue loco like this too, it doesn't give me specific control of course, just runs at around 75% full speed which for some loco's if quite good, others may be a little too fast or slow. On a layout that small and the design it does not really lend itself much toward play but a more extensive adaptation with digital components will hopefully give me some more flexibility.

Most of my rolling stock & locos are currently in storage drawers in a filing cabinet, very easy for me to get to and keep tidy but no good for displaying them. Display cabinets are in the medium-term plan so I and others can actually look at them. Sitting in boxes & storage is no fun for them or I.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline MalinAC  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2014 09:59:41(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi there, I only have a 4x8 layout so I just run the same stock for about 2-3 weeks and then change everything. Twice a year I pick a day to give everything a run and change oil and greese etc. But I dont care if I run modern stock with old steam locos as I just take whatever is next in line to be run. I dont like to leave any items in boxes so its all in cabinits. With the design of most loco boxes you would tend to stack them on their sides which could cause problems with the loco . A friend of mine had trouble with 5 Marklin locos stored on their sides which had not run for a long time as some oil got into the decoders and ruined them. He ended up having to change all the motors and decders. I dont have any plan as such and only run analogue. Take care Eddie Cool Cool Cool
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline hennabm  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2014 10:11:43(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

As my layout is mainly for exhibition use, I like to run a mixture of trains, some goods and other passenger.

I like to run consists so a A/e 6/6 with a consist of SBB stock and then a TEE with a 103 or 114; An E44 with a good set of tin plates; A BR44 with a goods consist. etc

During the show I will change them over periodicaly to give them a rest and spread the wear across the fleet.

The layout is made so any era can run from 50/60/70/80 without looking out of place.

I just love watching them run.Love

After a show every lok that has been run will be serviced.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by hennabm
User is suspended until 21/07/4752 11:48:10(UTC) Barguest  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2014 10:29:24(UTC)
Barguest

hallo. my are not retire yet. so train stay in box most until lazy weekend then some get play with.
I buy now, not have this money after retire. trains stay in box for retire. plays lot more then
Alias for Mulldog Lemmon
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Barguest
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2014 11:43:26(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
My principles:

1) Stay lean and mean:

Everything that has wheels has to be on rails. If the latter condition cannot be met for whatever reason, superfluous rolling stock is sorted out and sold.

2) Minimax approach:

Maximum of tracks on minimum of horizontal surface (no horizontal limits though).

3) Running over switching:

Long mainline runs are key. Number of turnouts to be limited to the absolute minimum (ideally: none).

Smile RollEyes Wink

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline utkan  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2014 14:44:05(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Since I am bit closer to the Orient, I will answer the question with a different appoach....RollEyes

I do the same with my trains, what a Sultan does with his Harem.....Drool Drool

I play, I play and I play with THEM again.....Love Love

ps: at this very moment I am doing the same....Flapper
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by utkan
Online river6109  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2014 15:36:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
well trains run and can be converted or is this locos, so some of them rest, others are busy, its a model train, it moves it stops, it goes in reverse and stops again for no reason, I think it lost power, I'll change it with an other loco, I like the details but when they run they all look the same, the model in question looks good but is it right for the period, it doesn't matter, they are my trains bought by hard earned dollars, its a waste of money comes the reply from one corner, how can I save my hobby without ruining everything, its tough its hard to negotiate but I have to find a solution, bite another day, may be a week, the urge comes back again, not to dispose but to accumulate more of this golden stuff, to hide and not to tell and finally to be found out and to explain and find the right words to explain, to plea for mercy, I know its only a hobby but alla give me another chance or is this the end, I don't smoke, I don't drink just think of all the money I've wasted down the drain, I'm home, I'm sober and the home is full of fresh air, I love you all but don't take away the only thing I remember as a child was my model train, the upbringing was a bit rough, the money wasn't there, the toys didn't exist until a much later age, all I want is to cherish my trains which I've never done before and set up a kingdom in my own castle
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2014 22:42:07(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
....., all I want is to cherish my trains which I've never done before and set up a kingdom in my own castle

Thanks John, perfectly expressed, -- Enjoy!!

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Yumgui  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2014 22:51:18(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
well trains run and can be converted or is this locos, so some of them rest, others are busy, its a model train, it moves it stops, it goes in reverse and stops again for no reason, I think it lost power, I'll change it with an other loco, I like the details but when they run they all look the same, the model in question looks good but is it right for the period, it doesn't matter, they are my trains bought by hard earned dollars, its a waste of money comes the reply from one corner, how can I save my hobby without ruining everything, its tough its hard to negotiate but I have to find a solution, bite another day, may be a week, the urge comes back again, not to dispose but to accumulate more of this golden stuff, to hide and not to tell and finally to be found out and to explain and find the right words to explain, to plea for mercy, I know its only a hobby but alla give me another chance or is this the end, I don't smoke, I don't drink just think of all the money I've wasted down the drain, I'm home, I'm sober and the home is full of fresh air, I love you all but don't take away the only thing I remember as a child was my model train, the upbringing was a bit rough, the money wasn't there, the toys didn't exist until a much later age, all I want is to cherish my trains which I've never done before and set up a kingdom in my own castle

Hear-ye,

Just superbly written John ^^, thanks for it !

Y Woot

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline morsing  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2014 08:13:23(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Thanks for all these great ideas and thoughts! RayF, your train set-up is exactly what I had in mind myself. I'm going to see if I can't eventually automate part of it.

What I don't want/have the money for anyway, is hoarding trains that aren't running. I have too many other things I have to spend money on. I'll probably get 4, maybe 5 trains at a stretch, over the next couple of years.

What I would like at some point, but I haven't investigated the possibilities yet, is a set-up where I can press a button and it all springs into life, everything doing it's own thing without crashing into each other...

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 22 August 2014 08:36:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
well trains run and can be converted or is this locos, so some of them rest, ........I don't drink just think of all the money I've wasted down the drain, I'm home, I'm sober and the home is full of fresh air, I love you all but don't take away the only thing I remember as a child was my model train, the upbringing was a bit rough, the money wasn't there, the toys didn't exist until a much later age, all I want is to cherish my trains which I've never done before and set up a kingdom in my own castle

Never have my own feelings been expressed so accurately by someone else...
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 22 August 2014 09:26:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for all these great ideas and thoughts! RayF, your train set-up is exactly what I had in mind myself. I'm going to see if I can't eventually automate part of it.

What I don't want/have the money for anyway, is hoarding trains that aren't running. I have too many other things I have to spend money on. I'll probably get 4, maybe 5 trains at a stretch, over the next couple of years.

What I would like at some point, but I haven't investigated the possibilities yet, is a set-up where I can press a button and it all springs into life, everything doing it's own thing without crashing into each other...

Thanks

Thanks for your kind words, Morsing. My response may not be as poetic as some others here, but it's somewhat more practical!

The kind of setup you are searching for is exactly what I was dreaming of for many years, but it's hard to implement on a small layout like mine. There are two schools of thought here. You can either go for dedicated non interacting tracks for each train or trains sharing certain tracks with some degree of automation to prevent collisions.

The first is easier to achieve. Just arrange your tracks in whatever way you like, making sure there are seperate routes that don't cross, and then let your trains run and watch. This I can do on mine, with two trains at a time. After some time it does becaome a bit boring unless your layout is huge with many different trains running.

On my previous M Track layout I was playing with signals controlled by contact tracks, so that when one train entered the station it would trigger the signals to change and another train would leave the station. This allowed me to have three rains running unattended. I may still come back to that at some point in the future being a fairly easy way to achieve automation.

Automation can be good old fashioned analogue as I've just described, or fully computer controlled. In this way you can schedule all your movements as you wish and in theory all the trains should run without hitting another. I have considered going down this route, but I really want to play with the trains myself, not let a computer do it all for me.

As you can see from all the different approaches to the hobby just on this forum, there is no right or wrong way to play wiith your trains. You just have to figure out what works best for you within the limitations you may have.

Ray
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 22 August 2014 23:38:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
..... Just arrange your tracks in whatever way you like, making sure there are seperate routes that don't cross, and then let your trains run and watch. This I can do on mine, with two trains at a time. After some time it does becaome a bit boring unless your layout is huge with many different trains running.....

Hi Ray, and Morsing,

In my opinion, that is the best way to run trains. You can vary the length and make-up of trains as you see fit, and that counters the boredom.

Anyway, boredom is good for you, it controls your blood pressure. Not enough of that nowadays.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline rschaffr  
#18 Posted : 23 August 2014 00:15:16(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have a fairly large layout and it is computer controlled. I have about 30 trains on the layout at any given time and have run as many as 14 at a time. Lately they have been somewhat neglected as other things have intruded into my "train time" but I am slowly getting back into them. I have a number of routes around the layout (I think currently 15 or so) that I can assign a train to, or I can give it a "mission" to go from where it is to somewhere else, and the computer figures out the route.

When my grandkids(boy 11, girl 8) are over, however, we will align switches for a route through the layout and each drive a train around, making switch changes as necessary. They enjoy that more than just watching them run, which is my default selection when alone.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Online river6109  
#19 Posted : 23 August 2014 04:50:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
my layout was designed with out a proper drawn plan but in the end it was similar to the sketch and for some reason when I actually laid the tracks I was way out. the layout served me well with a lot of enjoyment, many years passed by and my son has helped me for the last 3 years or so ro revive the layout and we've achieved most of it.
the main object was, to my surprise, the configuration of my tracks and my son came up with idea to change it, at first I was hesitant to change anything it worked for so many years under the control of the Station master but after seeing and the whole project was explained to me I agreed to a change of the track layout and you've witnessed it over the years the new snow modules and other electrification's and changes.

My sons's main objective was to have routes which do or to a minimal extend cross each other and he presented me with a plan and the following explanation which sounded at first a bit over the top because of the extensive work involved in it but we almost got there and when its all together trains will run on their specific route and there is enough room not to get bored.

we will have 3 stopping sites on the 4 outside tracks and a capacity of 20-30 freight carriages and about 12 or so passenger carriage, another essential and crucial part of the change was to have each stopping site roughly the same length so when trains enter the siding the fit nicely into it.

while changing the layout a few stuff ups on my part occurred, having 2 tracks instead of one track on one of the snow module routes, getting the right % incline and correctly placing the isolated tracks down which was determined from which way the trains entered the station.

our trains will run in sequences and because I don't have any hidden stations every train will be visible whether or not all trains can be displayed has yet to be seen as I haven't worked it out yet. Suppose it isn't that hard to get a fair idea, having over 200 locos and with 40 trains running it doesn't look like but most trains on the outer circle may have to run in consists.

on the other hand running trains for a long time one needs to give them a rest, a quick maintenance job and back for duty but in mean time replacement locos can be pulled into service.

another advantage with my collection of trains, I can run 4 different railway companies, SBB+BLS, SNCF, DB and ÖBB some of them could be mixed and these days there a trains from one Railway company going into a different country such is Austria - Germany, Austria - Switzerland, Germany - Switzerland and France - Switzerland. or just trains from one country.
there always will be special trains which don't exist as a prototype configuration, they can be classed as Jubilee trains or any name you can think off.

our trains will have interior lights, traveling passengers, steam, diesel and elelctric locos with sound, electric power from the overhead system one thing I'm not sure when 40 trains are on the move, how the acoustic will play out in the garage with all the sound, x amount of station announcements, horns, whistles, bells, coal shoveling, squealing tracks, squeaky brakes and the cylinder chuffs from steam locos, diesel motor noises and concertos when electric locos engage their electronic torque motors, I'm sure it will not be boring, maybe annoying but hopefully entertaining or it may just sounds like a day out, train spotting. and we can't wait to present you a layout of trains, colourful, inspiring, noisy and breath taking and with some luck will even have the sound knockers raising their eyebrows, lets face it when you're in the city or at a railway station there is a lot of noise going on and we seem to shut this noise out of our head because our concentration is on other things or maybe the noises go up in the thin air whereas most our layout are indoor and the noises are packed together, we will see but for now its all about getting it finished so all these cupboards, filing cabinets, boxes of locos, trains and carriages can be emptied and trains can see the daylight for the first time and with a bit of luck I will see a smile on wife's face for the first time and will she concede at least he stuck to his guns and finished it but one thing I can assure you all, there will be no more, I better not make any promises I may regret it, trains have to keep running and this includes me running with the trains and some cash in my pocket, just in case.

enjoy your trains where ever they are running, resting or just sitting there for no apparent reasons except for the holder of the magic key: It's mine and if it does sound like insanity, I like to hear from one sane person who objects to model trains, including moderators BigGrin

the original question was: what do you do with your trains: of course there is the the other question what should you not do with your trains: take them to bed or your marital bedroom, put them in your pocket, drown them, submerge them, trying to bend or smash them when they don't work, sell them to keep peace int the house, kiss them, making announcements: Oh my god, she is gorgeous, fall in love, if you can't get enough of your trains don't put them between a sandwich and try to eat them, don't start repainting them, the moment you put a value on them, they loose their sentimental value, don't try to take hours to get the right picture of your trains, the glory is forgotten with the next purchase, never call your trains: toys, it sounds to childish, don't let your trains become orphans, there are many institution and private dwellings who would love to care for your trains and get the rust off their back, never sell a train unless you've got a buyer, the hint is in the wording

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline MACER  
#20 Posted : 23 August 2014 05:35:09(UTC)
MACER

Argentina   
Hi alls.

For me, enjoy is ideal.

2 or 3 days in the week with few hours is sufficient.

don t have more time.

and actualized, used, repaired, etc.

many thanks.
Macer
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MACER
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 23 August 2014 10:15:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Good point, Macer.

I agree you don't need to have a lot of time.

I find that 1 hour a day on three or four days a week is enough, with perhaps one longer session once a week when I change over the trains on the layout to the next set.

Sometimes I get a lot less than that if I'm busy with other things.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline rschaffr  
#22 Posted : 24 August 2014 16:05:59(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
It is funny a thing..before I retired I spent many hours each week on my trains, when I really should have been doing other things. Now that I have all the time I want, I don't get down much to work on them. I think it was a stress relief from the daily grinds of running a business that I no longer need. But I do enjoy it when I get down to working, especially when the grandkids come to visit and we spend much time working on and running the trains. (Their name for our home is "The Train House")
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline glight1  
#23 Posted : 24 August 2014 17:07:46(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Frequently I find myself just looking at my trains and the layout. I do run them but generally only an hour or two a session. I have a small 4'X8' layout and rotate them as the mood strikes me. As I am just looking, I often start to fiddle with the scenery details and add a tree or bush, move some Preiserlings around. Add some barrels or sacks to a loading dock, and so on. I model mostly era I and spend time just admiring the details and colors of my collection.

Gary
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by glight1
Offline Gert-Jan  
#24 Posted : 24 August 2014 18:18:32(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Originally Posted by: utkan Go to Quoted Post
...I do the same with my trains, what a Sultan does with his Harem.....Drool Drool

I play, I play and I play with THEM again.....Love Love

And they costs a serious load of money too LOL
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline Gert-Jan  
#25 Posted : 24 August 2014 18:29:03(UTC)
Gert-Jan

I have my locomotives in a cabinet on the wall.
Also, I have a small 3-track oval table layout just to run them (frequently).

All wagons without original package are on the track, all others are stored in their boxes under the track.
It is just fun taking one 'mostly random' out of the cabinet and run it in circles for a while Drool

If I want to go crazy, I can have 3 running simultaneously Laugh

PS: For some reason, I also try to keep my website up-to-date with real life pictures for every model.
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline Janne75  
#26 Posted : 25 August 2014 23:54:33(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I like to watch my trains in their display cases or on the tracks. I run most of them and try to do this to be sure they all will be in operational good running condition.

I try to use them like their real prototypes. Freight cars for freight locos and passenger coaches for express passenger trains. I also try to run them as much as possible all locos on the tracks at the same time being from the same country and era as possible.

So I like both, watch and collect them. Also enjoy them by running them around my layouts Love . I do my best to improve them if possible with cheap tricks like installing ball bearings into DCM motor equipped locos etc.

As my layout is not ready and it will take a long time to be, if ever I have then collected many beautiful locos and rolling stock as my layout is not beautiful. I dream about it to be that so I could really enjoy all these items with great looking scenery like it really should be RollEyes .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 26 August 2014 00:24:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I totally agree, Janne.

Whether we prefer admiring our trains in a cabinet, playing with them on a layout, or taking them apart and improving them, it's all part of the hobby and all very enjoyable.

I lack the tools and skills to do a lot of work on my locos (or maybe just the confidence!), and my skills at making scenery are limited too, so I do what I can and I play with my trains, and when I can't do that I put them on a shelf and look at them every moment I can.

Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline hxmiesa  
#28 Posted : 26 August 2014 10:16:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, first of all I would like to state that I dont particullary think of the rolling stock separaely from the rest of the layout. For me, "My Trains" is the whole deal; rolling stock, tracks, electricity, houses, figures, landscape, etc.

What I DO with it is; build a layout. Once the layout is finished, I will either die, or tear it up and build a new layout. -What I really want to say, is that the important thing here (for me) is the JOURNEY, not the DESTINATION.

Should I limit my answer to just the rolling stock, what I do is; watching them run around automatically. My consists are pretty fixed, so all I do is change the locomotives around from time to time. (for variation and for service)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline artfull dodger  
#29 Posted : 01 September 2014 02:15:10(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I belong to a large HO club, 2 rail HO scale USA prototype that uses the car card system and the whole layout is set up for operation and simulating a real railroad. It is actualy to stressfull for me. I tend to just deal with the unit trains such as coal and grain as dealing with all the cards and building up freight trains is a pain in the arse to me. For my home layout, I wish I had the room for a factory style Marklin layout. But, my room is very small, 8 foot wide by 9 foot long. So a typical 4x8 foot layout takes up almost the whole darn room. I used to have a small 33in deep by 55in wide layout I built out of a Marklin book, I made build it again and put full catenery again. I love the look of a vintage Marklin layout, with M track(stud contact) and vintage building kits. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline DaleSchultz  
#30 Posted : 01 September 2014 17:08:42(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Some stay in the display case as they are more of a collectors item than something I want to digitize.
Others live on the layout as and get run about. Of those some 'live' in the hidden station tracks, and some locos 'live' in the Bw in the loco sheds, more of a static diorama.

Old display cabinet: http://layout.mixmox.com/1/train_display
Hidden station: http://cabinlayout.mixmo...ED-lighting-hidden-areas
Loco shed: http://layout.mixmox.com/1/Roundhouse-2
Engine yard: http://layout.mixmox.com/1/engine_yard2
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline artfull dodger  
#31 Posted : 01 September 2014 17:47:39(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have a few that are static displays, mostly mint condition Tyco engines that didnt run well to start with, but are replacements for the first trains I had as a child. These days, my trains are my escape from the stress of living in the real world. So I just get lost in my thoughts watching them go round and round. If I feel like I am to the point of an autistic meltdown or shutdown and I am at home, I fire up the trains and just relax and watch them run. Its a VERY important part of my ablity to survive. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Deborail  
#32 Posted : 15 October 2014 07:54:48(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
As most of my trains are in storage in Cyprus, I have only a few with me here in Oman, and I have a basic double racecourse layout, which enables me to run two trains at a time. The layout is 4 x 1 m. What I would do is put a train for a few days and run it 2-3 times, when I feel like I need to relax. When I receive a new locomotive, I usually do a running in, which involves running the loco for an hour or so, but at different speeds and directions each 5 minutes or so. But the layout and the trains will soon be stored again, once my 3 year old son comes to join me.

I have just received Trix 22336 which is the French Crocodile, a fantastic little loco, and I am going to prepare a mini review with photos. I also got the Marklin 48183 set which is 3 CFL wagons. Actually this loco, the BB 12000 series was active in Luxembourg long after it was retired in France where from it originated.
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Deborail