Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2014 10:54:05(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Hi,

My all time favourite loco has always been the DSB MZ, which Marklin has never made un-fortunately.

I've come across Roco MZ's for sale saying they are for Marklin 3-rail AC digital, is this because Roco has made them for Marklin and they work out of the box, or have they been converted?

This is what I would like:

http://www.spor23.dk/pro...=2090&MenuItemID=147

I found this guide to converting a 2-rail Roco to Marklin which confuses me if Roco already makes them for Marklin:

http://digitaltog.dk/Dig...oco_DSB_Mz_DC_til_AC.pdf

Would also love this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item5d4e65a905

The descriptive text make it sound a bit like it's only digital sound and nothing else but I think it's just poorly written.

Thanks for any advice.
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2014 11:04:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Morsing,

Roco has a long tradition of making models both for DC and AC standards. Any Roco model you find that is marked as being for AC, or "for Marklin" is likely to come like that from the factory.

Roco also make some locos that are not available in AC format, so some enthusiasts convert them themselves.

You will also find a large range of AC models from Piko, Fleischmann, Hag, Brawa, Lilliput, Lima, Rivarossi, and others to complement models made by Marklin. Sometimes the models will be in direct competiotion with the Marklin version, but more often they offer a different variant of the prototype, or a locomotive never previously modelled by Marklin at all.

One word of warning when buying non-Marklin locos, try to stick to more recent versions that come pre-equipped with a digital decoder, as the older analogue AC versions may be harder to convert to digital.

To get an idea of what's available you can look on the websites of these other train manufacturers and search for AC version. They are not dificult to find.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2014 11:09:47(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
I've come across Roco MZ's for sale saying they are for Marklin 3-rail AC digital, is this because Roco has made them for Marklin and they work out of the box, or have they been converted?
Roco (and many other brands) make locos for the three-rail system.

With Roco, you can tell it from the ref. numbers.
Two-rail locos are 62xxx or 63xxx or 72xxx or 73xxx.
Three-rail locos are 68xxx or 69xxx or 78xxx or 79xxx.

They do not make all locos in three-rail versions. DIY is needed for those and may be cheaper for other models (as two-rail models often come in analogue versions while three-rail models often come digital with sound).

Some Roco locos even support mfx and will register automatically with Märklin controllers - but the Roco product database does not always indicate this properly. Other Roco locos will work after manual registration.

You may have to swap the couplers. See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eblog/?p=65
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2014 12:34:24(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi,

I am also a big fan of DSB MZ (together with the MY this was the childhood trains I used to ride on regularly).

I recently bought the Roco MZ 68718 (AC model for Marklin). It's a great loco with good sound function and drives very well on both M or C tracks. The decoder support MfX.

I was unable to fit the snowplow as on a medium track gradient it would get stuck on the tracks.

My next Roco investment will be the DSB MA lyntogBigGrin

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline morsing  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2014 14:04:31(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Wow - what a great forum, quick and informative replies :-)

Lasse, are you going for the red or silver MA?

I think I'll get hold of a Roco MZ then in red/black.

Thanks

-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail