Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2014 08:27:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

I have no specific interest in older Marklin, although I respect the models for what they were.

I came across this model on eBay France, item #301231432004, and I rather like it. It is quirky, and I can see it on my layout.
It appears to be in quite remarkable condition.
See second image below.

Naturally, Google brought up the following Marklin-user topic on the same subject.
https://www.marklin-user...M-800-year-guessing.aspx

And here is another current eBay example #181436632151, but this has been a restoration project.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Lot-39627-Brillant-restaurierte-Maerklin-RSM-800-/00/s/NjA0WDg4NA==/z/vdoAAOSws65Tmdjd/$_57.JPG

The prices will be quite expensive, but I would be interested in other opinions on these offerings.

regards
Kimball

Image here is the eBay France article 301231432004.

Edited by user 04 July 2014 00:56:11(UTC)  | Reason: Added photo for eBay France

kimballthurlow attached the following image(s):
rsm800-800.jpg
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2014 10:14:56(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

It looks to be in very good condition except the left hand side coupler is broken. Is this one orginally without the traction tyres as it has also those older type 5 pantographs? I want to have one of these some day as it looks great on the layout. When these are moving those side rods are fun to watch. I assume this one is the oldest version RSM 800.1 from 1950-1953 having beige roof and these type 5 pantographs and without traction tyres. Next version RSM 800.2 from 1954-1955 has traction tyres and silver roof. Here is the source of my information in German. Koll's may have different information:

lokshow.de RSM 800 info

Kind regards,

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2014 11:23:36(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
The one in the photo is the 1st version because of the type of side rod -later type is simplified- and the pantograph have the copper slider. It is very likely it has been restored as the green doesn't look right at all -too light- but mainly the rods painted red in the canter is likely not to be right as I have seen lots of them and this is the first time I see the red on the rod. Pantograph replacements are available but I am not able to tell whether they are repros or not. As pointed out by Janne the hook is broken, not big deal for me. It shouldn't be terribly expensive for an old loco and it is beautiful in my opinion, I imagine is loosely based on a Swiss engine and you'll probably pay a minimum of 200+ to 400. More for a perfect boxed example.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline MikeR  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2014 13:06:28(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Kimball

I recently acquired a similar loco. Mine is not in as good a condition but I think it still has its original paint as you can see some signs of wear and damage. I think that mine is from 1954 as it has traction tyres as well as the "Doppel-Bogenschleifer". My assumptions are based on my Koll's catalogue of 2013.

You can see that the side rods on my loco are not painted red and the shade of green is different to the one in your picture.

Regards

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2014 20:07:12(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
The one in the photo is the 1st version because of the type of side rod -later type is simplified- and the pantograph have the copper slider. It is very likely it has been restored as the green doesn't look right at all -too light- but mainly the rods painted red in the canter is likely not to be right as I have seen lots of them and this is the first time I see the red on the rod. Pantograph replacements are available but I am not able to tell whether they are repros or not. As pointed out by Janne the hook is broken, not big deal for me. It shouldn't be terribly expensive for an old loco and it is beautiful in my opinion, I imagine is loosely based on a Swiss engine and you'll probably pay a minimum of 200+ to 400. More for a perfect boxed example.

Agreed. The green color may just be the image lighting, but it looks a bit too "perfect" to me...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2014 00:46:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi
Thank you all so much for your valuable opinions, and insights into this rather lovely old model.

I will keep studying them as I see them offered for sale.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2014 05:46:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Kimball,

if you decide to keep it and later on selling it I would suggest to get an original model which hasn't been renovated, some parts may be alright being replaced by copies but the main parts are, the motor, the housing, the couplings, pantographs, the side rods to a certain extend, the colour should be original and even if chipped should not be attempted to be patched up.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2014 15:53:31(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Hi Kimball, some pics and info of my model here:

http://www.marklinfan.net/rsm_800.htm

The RSM 800 is a simplification of the swiss Ae 3/6, shorted and without some wheels
Here my photoshopped model
BigGrin

rsm800
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2014 03:26:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Alberto Pedrini Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball, some pics and info of my model here:

http://www.marklinfan.net/rsm_800.htm

The RSM 800 is a simplification of the swiss Ae 3/6, shorted and without some wheels

Hi Alberto,
Thankyou very much for the information.
Did you digitize this loco?

You did a great job on the realistic photo of the original.

regards
Kimball
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2014 19:32:00(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Did you digitize this loco?

regards
Kimball

No, it's forbidden modify the old ladies Love
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2014 10:38:34(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Originally Posted by: marklinsncf Go to Quoted Post

Also, before I forget, I also have an RSM800 and it confuses me. I opened it, everything looks intact inside, does not look like anyone touched anything BUT, it only runs on DC current, not AC.... any idea what modification would have been done to it? How to make it again AC? Does anyone think Marklin produced some DC / 3 rail locomotives? I know it's a different subject, not sure if I should have oened a new topic. Thanks!

Please post some images of the loco opened.
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 01 August 2014 10:56:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi folks,

Since I saw an RSM800 for the first time a few years ago I've loved the look of these quirky little electrics. They look a bit like the E32, but more compact without the pony trucks.

This is probably sacrilage to collectors, but it is my intention at some point to buy one of these which may be in poor paintwork condition, give it a good strip-down and repaint, maybe change the pantographs to more realistic modern versions and replace the couplers with newer relex ones. I could then use it as a shunter or branch line loco.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline MS 800  
#13 Posted : 01 August 2014 23:21:17(UTC)
MS 800

Germany   
Well, guys,

anyone can do anthing to his property as he likes, but I should recommend to you to keep the changes to a minimum and if possible put them in place in a way that they can easily be undone in case you change your mind.

You can well digitize the locos - with a Märklin C80 or an Uhlenbrock decoder for Allstrommotor, i.e. without changing the build of the motor itself - but keep the mechanical solenoid switch stored, in order to eventually replace the decoder again.

If your locos have a really buggered up housing ... it is a good thing to revive it with a completely new coat of colour, but if there are only some minor chips'n'chunks, i would not even try to patch them up. Just leave them and let the loco keep its collectors' value.

You can replace the functional parts like current pickup, pantographs, couplers since IMHO a loco is bound to run on a layout, but look out to get replacemant parts as close to the original as possible, which is more fun than just to use a new one of modern design, although it sometimes may seem a tad more expensive, but remember that you have an old treasure to keep alive and not just some crappy old piece of metal to run down to scrap.

Just my toppence.

Best

MS 800
When we were kids we enjoyed our tinplate trains rattling over tinplate tracks - nowadays they're in need of sound decoders.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MS 800
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 02 August 2014 11:21:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: MS 800 Go to Quoted Post
Well, guys,

anyone can do anthing to his property as he likes, but I should recommend to you to keep the changes to a minimum and if possible put them in place in a way that they can easily be undone in case you change your mind.

You can well digitize the locos - with a Märklin C80 or an Uhlenbrock decoder for Allstrommotor, i.e. without changing the build of the motor itself - but keep the mechanical solenoid switch stored, in order to eventually replace the decoder again.

If your locos have a really buggered up housing ... it is a good thing to revive it with a completely new coat of colour, but if there are only some minor chips'n'chunks, i would not even try to patch them up. Just leave them and let the loco keep its collectors' value.

You can replace the functional parts like current pickup, pantographs, couplers since IMHO a loco is bound to run on a layout, but look out to get replacemant parts as close to the original as possible, which is more fun than just to use a new one of modern design, although it sometimes may seem a tad more expensive, but remember that you have an old treasure to keep alive and not just some crappy old piece of metal to run down to scrap.

Just my toppence.

Best

MS 800

Thanks for your comments.

I am not a collector in the strict sense, in that I'm not in the least interested in the re-sale value of my locomotives. I am, however, very much interested in how they look and run on my layout.

While I would not touch a "pristine" classic loco, I would, if so inclined. improve the looks of a very tatty example by touching up the paintwork or a complete re-paint. I would also change old clumsy looking details like pantographs to more accurate versions available today. Finally, I may upgrade the mechanism with modern motor and decoder, but I might just run it in analogue without the conversion.

I'm not interested at all in owning trains for display. I run all my Marklin trains on my layout, rotating through them to give them all equal running time. I do not buy trains that look too "primitive" compared to newer models, so for example the CCS800 crocodile is not a part of my collections, as it is grossly overscale and the detailing is crude by comparison to the recent models. I do have in my collection models like the 3003 Br24 and the 3005 Br23, as they "blend in" to a certain extent. The older electrics in the 800 series have very crude pantographs which I find offensive to the eye, so I have few of them. I have a CE800/3001, but I have chosen a recent version and changed the pantograph to the newer black type. I also have an E44 of the 3011 series, but it is the Primex example from the 2701 set, also fitted with improved pantographs.

I know that what I have written may be anathema to some on this forum, and I apologise if I have intruded into a topic where I've gone somewhat off the point, but I thought I should expalin my previous post in more detail.

Thanks for reading this.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Dangermouse  
#15 Posted : 05 August 2014 22:13:06(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
My approach:

I will cheerfully buy a "shed" of a loco. It'll get cleaned first, then paint stripped (that stage is skipped if it's in good condition under the dirt), resprayed, have the chassis cleaned, and will then be reassembled with a Lokpilot and magnet. I keep the original lightbulbs, as LEDs just don't look right.

From the outside you can't tell that it's now digital, and it can share the track with my newer locos.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dangermouse