Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2014 00:56:16(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Apart from the date stamp on the base of the track is there any other quick way to determine if K track is early[which breaks easy ] or later run. Would the colour of the boxes be any indication , Blue , White etc. I am interested in a large quantity which is on sale & there are different box types involved .

cheers
Tom in Oz
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2014 10:55:41(UTC)
Goofy

Serie 2100 has rounder rail at top.(old blue package with old Märklin logotyp)
Serie 2200 has flat rail and copper clip contact.(old blue package with newer Märklin logotyp)
New serie 2200 have flat rail and nickel silver clip contact,to avoid rust by add ballast and water glue.(white package)
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2014 11:23:40(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Apart from the date stamp on the base of the track is there any other quick way to determine if K track is early[which breaks easy ] or later run. Would the colour of the boxes be any indication , Blue , White etc. I am interested in a large quantity which is on sale & there are different box types involved .

cheers
Tom in Oz

Hi Tom,

I have not personally encountered any problems with older K-track but the brittle nature of early C-track is legendary.

You will probably already know the difference between 21xx & 22xx series but for the benefit of others unfamiliar, the 21xx series was first released in 1969 and continued through to 1980.

In 1981 the 22xx series appears and apart from additions to the range and various improvements the series has remained unchanged ever since.

The major differences between them are the 21xx has rolled tin or 'hollow' rails, whereas 22xx has solid stainless steel track.

21xx is prone to tarnishing and the rails tend to discolour although they still work ok with a clean.

A significant improvement was the design change from the turnouts having permanently-attached motors to removeable motors. This meant they could produce a single common turnout with the option of either a manual lever for hand operation, a clip-on motor for electric and/or also an underside mounting kit.

In 1993 they finally changed all turnouts to this style (except for the 2270 3-way turnout which still retains the larger motor).

The Blue boxes are older than the White ones, and in both cases you will find a printing code on the box-flap and if you are absolutely certain the contents have not been swapped the date code can be a helpful guide to determine approximate age.

As far as I know, none of the K-track carries the date-code symbol as found on C-track, certainly not on any of the items I have.

Be aware also that every piece of K-track actually has the track number molded onto it somewhere, usually on an end sleeper for straight and curved track, and underneath for turnouts. This can be very helpful when wanting to confirm 100% what a particular track-piece is without resorting to measuring and comparison. You might need a magnifying glass to see it clearly, I sure do!!

Below is a photo showing this number on two 21xx pieces, 22xx are marked in the same way.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Regards

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
k-track-21xx series.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2014 11:38:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Of course we don't have any brittleness in M-track at all. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2014 21:43:20(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Just rust, Adrian. BigGrin

I have been a K trackker since I started with this madness, but I have acquired a bit of M track along the way. When I was planning a second layout (Era III) at our vacation home, I intended to use it for that. I actually had increased my stock of M track quite a bit through eBay, but my wife convinced me to go with C track for that layout. I have not regretted that, but there is something really nostalgic with 800 or 30xx series loks clattering away on M track!
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2014 22:08:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Of course we don't have any brittleness in M-track at all. Laugh
Except for the insulators that hold the centre rail. Flapper

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 01 August 2014 22:55:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have boxed date 1969 (Please note all boxed are empty but all tracks was lay on hidden yard layout).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Tom Jessop  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2014 00:25:34(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Thanks guys , I was confusing K track with C track, must be my age. Heaps of answers & all very helpful . I have never seen the boxes posted by Steven before, maybe we didn't get them in Australia. Now to convince the powers that be that I need to buy this quantity of track in 1 go . Wish me luck as I am looking at 4 figures for the lot.

Thanks Tom in Oz .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2014 04:17:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Thanks guys , I was confusing K track with C track, must be my age. Heaps of answers & all very helpful . I have never seen the boxes posted by Steven before, maybe we didn't get them in Australia. Now to convince the powers that be that I need to buy this quantity of track in 1 go . Wish me luck as I am looking at 4 figures for the lot.

Thanks Tom in Oz .

you absolutely sure you didn't mean m-track BigGrin

Tom yes we did get them in Australia, hopefully you get the right seller who sells you C-track from a later production so you wont have them break apart.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline MACER  
#10 Posted : 04 August 2014 01:28:44(UTC)
MACER

Argentina   
Hi Tom, i read the contents, the K tracks and the C tracks are wonderful systems, if you see my albums where its the sames includes.
For more pictures send me e-mail.
Thanks
MACER
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MACER
Offline christos563  
#11 Posted : 07 August 2014 09:45:38(UTC)
christos563

Greece   
Hi from thessaloniki.

Did they make any 2171 or 2175 ?

with greetings, christos
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 12 August 2014 18:48:19(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I agree with others that 22xx series is preferable to 21xx series K track. I have 22xx K from the 80s that still works great (no rust). I will note that at some point Marklin changed the little tongue connectors on the 22xx track from copper to a silver coloured metal. I am not sure the exact date, perhaps late 90s? The latter is slightly preferable as it resists corrosion better (although the copper can be cleaned easily).

-Brandon
Offline Tdl  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2014 14:33:42(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
All,

on the oldest part of my layout I have 21xx track elements and points. These were installed in 1975, almost 40 years ago.
This part of my layout is the main station.

On the newer part of my layout I have 22xx track.

Because of the somewhat rounded head of the 21xx rail profile the track looks less overdimensioned than the 22xx track.
Hence the track in the main station resembles more UIC 49 or 54, while on the open track resembles more UIC 60.

Trains run fine on both track types. I experience no contact problems or derailments.

It would be nice when marklin will start to manufacture a new K-track with a less overdimensioned rail profile and with concrete sleepers, sothat it is more suitable for era 5/6 layouts.

Regards, Willem
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tdl
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 14 August 2014 20:54:56(UTC)
Goofy

And this time use nickle silver as rail...not Stainless steel!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy