Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shunter  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2014 19:59:02(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
I have some Euro's to burn and thinking of buying a 60215.
Alternative would be starterset 29043 which includes same and have some rolling stock in addition .

Can't decide so I am interested what the rest of you think , is the additional rolling stock worth the higher price ?

Already have 2 ms 60653 and the older 6021/6021F controllers .

Fokko
When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2014 20:59:56(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, first of all - Do you want the trains in the starter set? Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline shunter  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2014 22:08:03(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
I like the br43 which comes in the set , the 218 would be an addition to my other 216's I have but not a piece I would buy on its own .
Would have preferred the 29640 set with the 2 steam engines , but no money on the bank at that time .
And cant find a set on the internet or dealer anymore .

Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2014 04:21:25(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
You allready have four controllers,you must not be hurry.Be patient and you will find the starter set with the two steamers you like better.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2014 09:48:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
What about the 29643 Swiss mega starter set? Due in Q4.

>29643 database<

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline shunter  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2014 12:41:49(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
Im not into Swiss models Steven ,
All my rolling stock is all German from era III and IV and try to keep it limited to this .
But I like a lot of the Swiss models and could have been an alternative.

What I am most curious about is what everyone thinks if a starter set is value for money opposed to just getting the 60125 .

Fokko
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2014 13:28:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Fokko,

Buying a starter set is always good value as usually you end up getting the trains, track etc for much less than buying them separately. Of course this is only true if you actually want those trains, or if you are willing to sell them on to someone else.

Something to be aware of is that some of the locomotives in starter sets are older models, or less well specified compared to models that are sold separately.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline alan  
#8 Posted : 26 July 2014 14:33:27(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

hi fokka

the 29855 isn't a bad looking set
only one steamer though

alan Plymouth
alan attached the following image(s):
1653-2014116171916_original.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by alan
Offline shamrock  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2014 20:00:30(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Well, first of all - Do you want the trains in the starter set? Wink

Fokko,

First of all, great profile name and photo. I think Juhan's question is spot on. I am not an expert but I just went through the same decision process as you, over the last 6 months. I started with a nice analog and m track collection from my father's youth and my own. I wanted to jump into a modern set up but did not want to pay too much up front if my 5 and 2 year olds were not ready. I did pick up a starter set with the old 4 position control, "Daddy let's play." It was a nice jump for me from the old blue trafo to easily control 4 at a time.

Once I was positive the trains were not going back to storage I began debating CS2/MS2 and the value of starter sets. I wanted to jump to mfx, sound, telex, etc... but none of the MS2 starter sets grabbed me and over several months I continued to accumulate alot of C track and individual pieces (freight, passenger cars) over ebay.

Long story short, I ended up not needing the track or extra wagons of any of the starter sets so I went back to focusing on the locomotives. I liked many of them but they were not within my top 5 wanted list. Then, a friend of ours from the forum, Robert, showed me his CS2 in action and that sealed the deal. Within the month, with the help of this forum, I had a slightly used CS2 with power supply which has turned out to be fantastic. I also purchased a BR 53 as part of the deal and subsequently the new 37166 from a dealer and another mfx with sound (used) Ae 6/6 from ebay. I also picked up a number of turnouts with mechs/decoders to just reach the amount I would have spent on a new CS2 starter set.

For me, breaking it up was the way to go because I already had the track and had a specific mfx+ locomotive (37166) I wanted. I do think for anyone else the starter sets are a great value and the way to go and it is nice to have one box to pack everything back into if you do not have a permanent layout.

Cheers and happy hunting,

Tim

Edited by user 28 July 2014 15:49:35(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 27 July 2014 00:01:11(UTC)
Webmaster

Since I prefer older trains as Era I and II, none of the starter sets with CS2 had any added value for me so I bought the 60215 as a single unit.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Shamu  
#11 Posted : 27 July 2014 03:23:51(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Fokko,

I was in the same situation about 2 years ago, I was after a CS2 but here in Australia at the time very few dealers had them and even then only 60212/3's. The local price back then was around $1100 plus a power supply at around $300. I had mentioned this in a letter to my now deceased German uncle and he talked me into looking at the "Mega" starter sets instead. The 29640 was new then and there was only 1 dealer in Australia that had 1 available for a price of $2850, more than twice the price of a CS2 and a PSU.

When I told uncle Thorsten the local prices he arraigned to get me a 29640 from a dealer in Germany for under AU $1300 delivered, the same price as a 60212/3 locally. So for the same amount of money I got everything else in the set for free.

Of course this is a different kettle of fish as being in Europe the price difference between a CS2 and a "Mega" set is far more noticeable and like you I would hesitate to get something that didn't have 2 steam loco's in it today. However even taking into account the price difference in Europe I would very seriously look for a set with a CS2 included as you will still get more bangs for your bucks. Although you may have to look around for quite some time to find a set that mixes in with your other trains.

Best of luck and hope you find something you like.

OH, in all fairness at the time the Aussie dollar was riding VERY high so it did make the 29640 very affordable, today it would be almost another 20%.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline shunter  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2014 14:55:16(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
Thank you all for your comments .

Not sure yet what I shall do , maybe shop around a bit before I decide .

Tim, ths pic is of the vessel Seven Atlantic, which is one of the most modern dive support vessels .
Very interesting ship with all the technology onboard .

Fokko

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shunter
Offline shamrock  
#13 Posted : 28 July 2014 20:31:10(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: shunter Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your comments .

Not sure yet what I shall do , maybe shop around a bit before I decide .

Tim, ths pic is of the vessel Seven Atlantic, which is one of the most modern dive support vessels .
Very interesting ship with all the technology onboard .

Fokko

Really nice vessel! Should have room for a nice layout onboard. BigGrin

As a thank you I will supply you with the answer you desire...

Get the CS2 and power supply. Today! If a starter set grabbed your attention you would have already purchased it. Forget what is slightly more of a value or not and save the extra money by purchasing the unit alone. It will make the purchase much easier and is likely the difference between having one and not.

It seems like you already have enough locomotives to run so everyday without a CS2 is a day wasted. Thank me later. Forget the set and find a CS2 today.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by user 29 July 2014 03:38:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline shunter  
#14 Posted : 28 July 2014 21:43:41(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
Maybe I just do that Tim,
Get me a CS2 and a 6021 connect to go with it so I can use the older 6021 in connection with it .

I have a nice set of loco's but there are still a lot on the wish list , just as with everyone here probably Laugh

Fokko
Offline shamrock  
#15 Posted : 29 July 2014 03:56:21(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: shunter Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I just do that Tim,
Get me a CS2 and a 6021 connect to go with it so I can use the older 6021 in connection with it .

I have a nice set of loco's but there are still a lot on the wish list , just as with everyone here probably Laugh

Fokko

Exactly. It is much easier to spend 600 eur and pick up the locomotives later. If not, you will always be debating between your next lok purchase or the CS2.

As Robert basically said to me, "No matter how many locomotives you have, what is controlling and connecting you to them?" Actually, I think he just showed me and made me jealous.

There is so much you can to do with controlling your layouts (turnouts, signals, contact points, shuttles, memory routes, etc...) as well as your locomotives. I know there are other ways to get these things done but for me the CS2 has been very user friendly.

I am just getting involved but the potential is off the chart. I'll send you a couple links. PM sent.

Edited by user 29 July 2014 13:27:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by shamrock