Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline greytag  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2014 11:28:37(UTC)
greytag

Sweden   
I was wondering if there is an easy way to poll a track for the id of a train and report it somewhere.

For example. If a train rolls over a piece Circuit Track, what do I need to do to know it, and if possible get the id of the train triggering it?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2014 15:07:05(UTC)
H0

RailCom was made for this purpose.
Uhlenbrock Lissy was made for this purpose.

Both systems will only work for locos equipped with RailCom or Lissy respectively.

There may be other systems around.

There also is PC control: the PC knows the layout and the start position of all trains, so whenever a train triggers a circuit track the PC will know which train this should be. Works with any decoder and locos do not have to be modified.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline greytag  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2014 01:22:44(UTC)
greytag

Sweden   
I just get som reed switches, but they don't seem sensitive enough for my trains even when I use a very strong magnet.

Du you know if there are som guides on this?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2014 03:00:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Reed switches are fine, you just need to get the magnets in the right position above them to trigger the reed switch. Best to use reed switches on straight pieces of track, that way it is easier to get the magnet positioned correctly.

Try running one of your magnets over your reed switches by hand until it triggers, that way you will know how close you need to get.
Offline greytag  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2014 10:39:24(UTC)
greytag

Sweden   
Thanks!

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Try running one of your magnets over your reed switches by hand until it triggers, that way you will know how close you need to get.

The strongest magnet I have is a cube, about 1x1x1 cm. When I run it by hand I can't get it to trigger until it is basically stuck to the track.
It there any particular magnet type that is better?
Are there any better size of reed switches? I took the smallest ones I could find, thinking they would be more sensitive.
The part number of the switch is SRG200-30-35.
Offline Harvey  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2014 02:19:55(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Greytag

I use Marklin reeds and magnets (those suggested for passenger and freight cars). No problem with the reed being activated and recognized by the CS2. I believe they suggest a smaller magnet for locs - I place the magnet on the last car. I had tried building my own reeds (Marklin is expensive) but did not have success. The reed is on not centered between the rails. Even so, I place the magnet in the center of the car.

Regards

Harvey

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2014 07:47:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: greytag Go to Quoted Post
When I run it by hand I can't get it to trigger until it is basically stuck to the track.
Where did you place the reed relay?
The Märklin relays are placed above the sleepers

Which type of track (C, K, M, other)?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 27 July 2014 08:03:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Are there any better size of reed switches?

I'm using a combination of reed switches - Viessmann 6840 reed switches on my C track, and reed switches from local electronics supplier Jaycar on my M track.

Like Tom suggests, you need to mount them on the track surface, not underneath the track. Normally a magnet clearance of 5mm to 10mm is enough to trigger the switch.

http://www.eurorailhobbi...?ca=13&stock=VM-6840

http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=SM1002
Offline greytag  
#9 Posted : 27 July 2014 17:09:56(UTC)
greytag

Sweden   
I am using Märklin C-Track.
It was place dunder the track, but I moved them ut above the tracks.

I didn't have any good tools, so I used a soldering iron to melt my way through. I do NOT recommend this because of the fumes. Blushing

So far it works if I use a really strong magnet. No tests on how the magnet and locomotive interfaces or if the reed switch still works if the power is on.

I get one problem though. It the car is running slowly over the switch, it is triggered twice. Can this be fixed?
greytag attached the following image(s):
IMG_1135.jpg
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 28 July 2014 02:12:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
........so I used a soldering iron to melt my way through.

Probably not a good way to mount the switches, for various reasons, including the fumes factor (as you point out).

All you need to do is drill 2 small holes through the trackbed for the reed switch leads (pigtails) to fit through. You bend the pigtails to match the spacing between your holes and drop the pigtails through the holes. One end gets soldered to the ground point on the track, the other is attached to a cable which goes off to your S88 sensor (or whatever you are using for triggering devices). Make sure you bend the pigtails in the right place the first time, as I have found that rebending them a 2nd time will cause the glass vial on the switch to break.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2014 17:03:33(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I was wondering if there is an easy way to poll a track for the id of a train and report it somewhere.

For example. If a train rolls over a piece Circuit Track, what do I need to do to know it, and if possible get the id of the train triggering it?

I would suggest that there is some bigger problem that you need to solve first. If you are wanting to know the ID of a train at some point on the layout, it suggests that your 'system' does not know what train is where. Not a sensible way to manage things moving about that should not collide :-)

As Tom suggested, it may be easier (and I strongly believe much simpler) to maintain information on what trains is where, so you know what train is expected at any given point. When the s88 indicates an arrival, you can be very sure which train it is.

I do not start a train running if I dont know where it is going to stop.
This approach has proven to be cheap and very reliable.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com