Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#51 Posted : 08 June 2014 19:29:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Looking great, Keep posted!ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline m.stuhr  
#52 Posted : 26 July 2014 20:11:32(UTC)
m.stuhr

Germany   
Hi biedmatt,

I have followed your postings the last few weeks with huge interest since I myself am currently working on the same model.
It is quiet a shame how Trix have produced this model. A lot of troubles arise during the construction most of them can be eliminated with patience.
I was wondering about your colouring of the model. I presume you used spray? In other community forums like the dutch one ( http://www.hetgroterdamp...;catid=70&Itemid=397 ) it is spoken of spray (my dutch isnt really good) which includes little sand particles which makes the surface of the model somehow more plastic and realistic. I have browsed the net and asked at the DIY market but no one could tell me if something like that existed. Therefore I am interested in what spray you exactly used? I was debating if I should just colour it with paint but decided (after some attempts on polysterol) that spraying is probably the better idea.
I have invested so much time with creating inner structures with stores and lighting that it would be a shame if the outside doesnt look as good as yours.

Kind regards

m.stuhr
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by m.stuhr
Offline biedmatt  
#53 Posted : 27 July 2014 12:15:42(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hallo Herr Stuhr,

I used standard model paints to paint it. I knew the facade was sandstone, so I took a piece of sprue to the hobby shop and started looking at military colors. I wanted a flat finish for the color coat and Arika Braun '42 was the closest match to the plastic color I could find. I bought some 15 jars of the paint and poured it into a clean one quart paint can and added the quantity of thinner the manufacturer recommended. For the final color coat I wanted to use an airbrush so I could get into tight corners and windows without getting a heavy buildup on the adjacent areas. I also decided to spray a light coat of primer before I sprayed the color coat. The paint companies claim primer will provide a better "bite" to the plastic and I wanted a light base color under the Africa Braun color coat. I knew if it came out too light, that I could darken it with the weather pastels.

The weathering pastels are a Spanish product called Vallejo Pigments. These are standard pastels ground down to a very fine powder. They are offered in packets of four different colors. I used mostly the browns and red. They are applied with makeup brushes. The larger brushes provided the best effect. If you find that it's too heavy or too much, small triangular sponges used to remove makeup will pick it right off the surface. This was a perfect technique to make the mortar on the brick interior stand out. Once I had it where I wanted, I sealed it with a dust coat of Testors flat clear lacquer. The lacquer will mute the pastels. If the weathering is too light, apply some more pastels and then spray a second clear coat.

I also managed to find a perfect match for the grey plastic. Model Master makes both a spray and brush color that was perfect. For some reason the jar is called engine grey and the spray is called Panzer grey, but they both have the same Federal Stock number- FS 36076. Since this was a perfect match for the grey, I did not prime those items before applying the grey.

https://www.micromark.com/weathering.html

https://www.micromark.co...tel-brush-set,11344.html

http://shop.cinemasecret...recut-makeup-sponge.html

The order of finish application from left to right:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

At the moment, I am taking a break from the station. I needed to get away from it for a while and I also need to build, test and tune another slot car for a Proxy race beginning in two months. I have the good fortune of running the number 1 plate and want to enter the best car I can. While winning the series is difficult and may not be in the cards for me this year, I also want to make sure the number 1 car is not an embarrassment either.

I should be back at in in about 4-6 weeks.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Tom Jessop  
#54 Posted : 19 January 2015 01:11:26(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Hi Matt,
With all the talk about various stations in this part of the forum I was wondering where you are up to with the Dammtor station . It has been over 6 months since it has been mentioned & considering what a large under takeing it is to build & the care that you have taken it would be nice to see where you are up to at present. I know I should talk about buildings my self or even get stuck into my layout but having a todo list that the FD keeps adding to I have found it just a little off putting at the present jn between Holidays , grand children minding wasting time on the web looking at stuff etc etc . Oh well one of these days .

Cheers Tom in Oz.
Offline biedmatt  
#55 Posted : 19 January 2015 13:40:57(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello Tom,

I suffered a mild setback with the roof, but I have that sorted out now and I am very close.

The center roof panels are fixed (glued) in place and the panels to either side lay in place with a small lap joint where they butt together. Once I had the center panels glued in, I discovered another alignment problem. The two panels were to far apart where they meet at the peak. So I had to remove them and separate the two pieces forming the two assemblies and work backwards to get it correct. First I glued the small panels to the center outer sidewall. Then I worked on the placement of the two larger panels that reach up to the peak. When I got the gap where I needed it for the peak, I had a gap at the seam in the roof.

UserPostedImage

So I am in the process of filling the rather large gap with model hobby putty and then sanding it smooth. The gap was large and deep enough that it will take more than one or even two coats of putty to get it just right. The putty shrinks as it dries so one coat isn't going to get it where I want.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Once I have the gap filled and painted it will essentially be finished.

I need to get back at it and put it to bed.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline NZMarklinist  
#56 Posted : 22 January 2015 02:26:50(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Brandon,

Excellent work, it will indeed be a resource for other builders of the kit. You have gone to great pains with this. ThumpUp

12 months on I am not sure any more of my pics from 2013 of Dammtor will enhance your efforts at all unless you want interior detail. Since last year unbeknown to me my modem was dying as was my old computer. From that I bought a new machine with Windows 8 which has just been a pain, and worse still I have had to use up much time recreating my tax records which has been nothing short of painfull, Then I have the issue of nothing old, programs or periferals works with W8, but when I have mastered windows paint I can start to repost a few photos.

Keep up the good work ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline biedmatt  
#57 Posted : 29 March 2015 21:52:15(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
After all these months, Progress!

I had worked this kit fast and furious for several months, clearing each problem as they presented themselves. Then the roof problem. I needed a break. So I got the roof panels fit so I knew I could move forward and took some time away from it. The problem is, when you get away from a project, it can be hard to get back. I loath filling and sanding. It is just so tedious. But I have the seams all filled now and it is ready for paint. It took four coats of filler to get it where I wanted. Three to fill the seam and a fourth to clean up the small voids you get as you spread the filler with a spatula. When wiped with a damp sponge it looks good. A smooth transition from filler to plastic. Now I just need the weather to break. It is too large to fit in my paint booth, so I'll have to spray it in the garage with the door open. Hopefully we'll get the temperature I need in a couple weeks.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edit: An experiment. The filler looked great when wet, but sometimes you can't tell for sure until there is some color on the filler. Since masking this will be a big job, I decided to brush some grey onto the filler to see how it looks. To my satisfaction, it looks great. I'll lightly sand it to remove the brush strokes and I am satisfied it truly is ready for paint. The pieces in same order as above:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 30 March 2015 03:16:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
Offline NZMarklinist  
#58 Posted : 31 March 2015 15:32:39(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Matt,

Here's a bit of inspiration for you ! This Dammtor Kit was pretty much glued together without modification ! I video'd this during a visit to Sydney in 2012 !
Norm is an ESU fan like your self and loves Railcom and does his own conversions. The Tristan Lok in the Video got put on the track fresh for it and registered in a few seconds literally. Norm's layout has two or three Ecos Boosters and a second Ecos as well !
But For Dammtor see :

and

Enjoy
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline biedmatt  
#59 Posted : 31 March 2015 17:59:24(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Cool, thanks Glen.
Matt
Era 3
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#60 Posted : 02 April 2015 10:44:22(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
One of the best stations in the making, Matt!!
Regards,
Madhu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline biedmatt  
#61 Posted : 11 April 2015 17:54:40(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Now that my enthusiasm has been renewed, I am forging ahead.

I glued the three left and three right roof assemblies together forming one big left panel and right panel. The fit between the pieces was going to leave an open joint since they didn't fit each other exactly. I followed the instructions creating three assemblies for each side and then found I had some trouble getting them to fit together just right. So I decided I needed to glue the three assemblies together into one complete piece. If you are building a station of your own, my recommendation is to glue the six panels that make up one side all together, then glue in the six ribs that connect the panels across the peak. If you glue the ribs in first, they will cause some trouble as you twist them to get the panel sections to line up. I actually had mine all perfectly square. I glued the ribs to one piece, fabricated a go-no go gauge from a block of wood to get them all at the same spacing across the peak and while gluing in the opposite roof panel I placed the assembly on a table with back light and pushed them into position so no light was seen under either roof panel. This placed them square to each other and all panels had the same spacing across the peak. Even then they did not line up side by side the way I wanted, forcing me to glue them together into the left and right halves.

Then I found they were an 1/8 inch to long. No surprise really since the pieces that formed the track platform were also an 1/8 inch to long. So I marked how much I needed to remove

UserPostedImage

Cut a piece of wood to support the roof...

UserPostedImage

...and then sanded off the material that had to go...

UserPostedImage

...once I was close, I sanded the rest by hand.

The complete station with the roof and peak in place. The seven pieces that form the peak are also all glued together. I am going to glue a thin metal plate to the the left and right halves of the roof and then hold the peak in place with magnets.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Now I need to paint and weather the roof pieces and it is finished other than the lighting and interior details for the train platforms. Once it is finished I will take it outside and do some detail and overall photos with a digital SLR camera.

I couldn't find any light fixtures that were the era I wanted and had warm white LEDs. So I have had to make my own. I got the lamp shades from Walthers and the rest is brass tube and U channel. The U channel will rest on the pieces that form the roof support, the same pieces that support the catenary.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline PJMärklin  
#62 Posted : 12 April 2015 09:25:26(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Now that my enthusiasm has been renewed, I am forging ahead.

I glued the three left and three right roof assemblies together forming one big left panel and right panel. The fit between the pieces was going to leave an open joint since they didn't fit each other exactly. I followed the instructions creating three assemblies for each side and then found I had some trouble getting them to fit together just right. So I decided I needed to glue the three assemblies together into one complete piece. If you are building a station of your own, my recommendation is to glue the six panels that make up one side all together, then glue in the six ribs that connect the panels across the peak. If you glue the ribs in first, they will cause some trouble as you twist them to get the panel sections to line up. I actually had mine all perfectly square. I glued the ribs to one piece, fabricated a go-no go gauge from a block of wood to get them all at the same spacing across the peak and while gluing in the opposite roof panel I placed the assembly on a table with back light and pushed them into position so no light was seen under either roof panel. This placed them square to each other and all panels had the same spacing across the peak. Even then they did not line up side by side the way I wanted, forcing me to glue them together into the left and right halves.

Then I found they were an 1/8 inch to long. No surprise really since the pieces that formed the track platform were also an 1/8 inch to long. So I marked how much I needed to remove

Great re-working Matt !

Regards,

PJ
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline biedmatt  
#63 Posted : 18 April 2015 20:04:06(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The building masked and ready to paint the two center roof panels

UserPostedImage

Painted and a few streaks of dirt for weathering

UserPostedImage

The paint for the two side roof panels should be here Monday. I have to paint those and the peak and install 24 light fixtures and it will be finished less the Preiserlings. A few more hours. Phew!
Matt
Era 3
Offline PJMärklin  
#64 Posted : 19 April 2015 08:47:26(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

The paint for the two side roof panels should be here Monday. I have to paint those and the peak and install 24 light fixtures and it will be finished less the Preiserlings. A few more hours. Phew!

Looks like it will be a great station Matt,

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline NZMarklinist  
#65 Posted : 19 April 2015 09:54:31(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Matt,

A picture I have been hoarding from the web Blushing Wink

Don't entirely let it distract you from your current course of action tho ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

I think I got it from Google earth, it was probably taken from the Radisson Hotel Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline biedmatt  
#66 Posted : 19 April 2015 13:20:46(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Interesting. The roof is brown, not grey. I wonder where Trix got the grey with which they molded the roof? Perhaps it was grey at one time. Anyway, I am committed, so grey it will be.

That picture was taken from a high rise hotel next to the station. It is interesting how the city has enveloped the site. Early aerial pictures show very little around it. Makes you wonder why they went through the trouble of building an elevated platform station and not a simple surface station. They had the land. Perhaps it was this remote location that saved it from "Bomber" Harris' firebomb attack of Hamburg during WWII. I guess a simple through station didn't make the USAAF's target list either. Little freight would be damaged and a rail yard is an easier target.

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline NZMarklinist  
#67 Posted : 20 April 2015 08:53:55(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Interesting. The roof is brown, not grey. I wonder where Trix got the grey with which they molded the roof? Perhaps it was grey at one time. Anyway, I am committed, so grey it will be.

That picture was taken from a high rise hotel next to the station. It is interesting how the city has enveloped the site. Early aerial pictures show very little around it. Makes you wonder why they went through the trouble of building an elevated platform station and not a simple surface station.

Hi Matt, perhaps it is some sort of steel that has a rusty coating Wink

It was always in the city environs but if you look at the pic you posted you can see the properties were large and palacial and perhaps they were damaged beyond repair by bombing or fire ?

Yes my pic was taken from the Raddisson Hotel I believe. There are lots of pics on Google earth, just go there, zoom in a bit and click on the photo icons and you can save them, they are a public domain ! ThumpUp Some show the construction of the new bridges at the east end too.

There is a story somewhere, on the Trix literature about Dammtor. It was built for the "World" or Euro Fair of 190x IIRC and was the arrival point for Kaiser Willhelm II, who made an underwhelming comment about it !OhMyGod
Have a look at the Kit Box even Unsure otherwise it was on the promotional brochure for the Kit Wink
The idea was to have the rail line thru Hamburg elevated so that RR crossings Scared were not needed, a huge undertaking at the time, so a long embankment and a lot of Bridges were built in Hamburg ! Starting in 1866, then the "new" Dammtor opened 7th June 1903 ThumpUp
Initially a smaller station was built to the East, on the other side of the original steel, recently replaced with concrete, bridges more or less were the Cinemax is Smile
Must have been plenty of Prussian money still around in those days Woot

A Google search brought up this, which is in German, but do it with chrome and then translate Wink

http://www.kulturkarte.de/hamburg/25035dammtor
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Shamu  
#68 Posted : 26 April 2015 06:08:46(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well done Matt,

Such a excellent odyssey you have taken us on (along with Ron's in '09) it has been marvellous to see the station take form and reach completion. Look forward to seeing it finally in place.

Quite impressed with your scratch built lights although I'm unsure I'll take that route or the way Ron S went, then again maybe something completely different.

Thank you so much for all the photo's and helpful tips, I'll be rereading this (and Ron's) many times over in the coming year or 2.......... which brings me to.......

Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Excellent effort Matt

This will be a marvel once finished and half your luck.

After nagging the other half finally get approval to get one for myself and its been pulled, out of production. (Still making the "N" version apparently)Crying

I'm SOOOOOO jealous. Unless I fluke one on eBay looks like I'm out of luck. Kicking myself for not buying it a couple of years ago when I saw the set here (in Oz) for $700.

Your one of the lucky few.

After the better part of a week with no internet I went on a ebay binge early last night and stumbled across the first locally available 66115 & 66117 in many years and for AU $550 (around €400) it took me all of 2 minutes to push the "buy-it-now" button. Almost 12 months after getting the "nod" from the little woman I finally find the set and for way less than any I have seen available from Europe in the last year.

So sometime in about another 12 months there will be a "Trix Dammtor Station - take three @ M-users"
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline biedmatt  
#69 Posted : 26 April 2015 17:14:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Magnets Matt, what are they for ?

I don't suppose you'd like to make two more of every bit of extra hardware you put into the station by any chance Wink BigGrin

Hello Glen, I thought I would answer your questions here and not hijack Shane's thread with all his great news. Just to re-iterate, great score Shane, it is a fun challenge.

The peak sits precariously on the roof. There is also some places where the peak does not make contact with the roof. I bought some round rare earth magnets with a counter sunk hole in the center. I am going to screw these to plastic thick wall tubing and then glue the tubing inside the peak. Similar to the body mounting posts I make for my scratch build slotcars. I'll work the length of the tubing so it will pull the peak down in contact with the roof. This will also hold it in place and it will not be as likely to fall off. I glued some 22 gauge metal plates to the center roof panel ribs and to the ribs of the left and right roof panels. They can be seen in the picture below. This will provide the metal needed for the magnets which I believe are literally on a slow boat from China.

UserPostedImage

I need to place some streaks of dirt on the left and right roof panels and clear coat them. Our weather the past week has been below normal temps and quite damp. The clear lacquer will fog and dry cloudy in the high humidity causing those panels to not match the finished center roof panels, so I am waiting for a nice day. These come infrequently in the Midwest US in April.

The 24 light fixtures were not as time consuming as I had predicted. I looked high and low for an LED fixture that would fit Era 3 and decided they just didn't exist. The thought of scratch building 24 lamps was a bit off putting, but it went quickly. I made a jig to help me along the way. First I had to get the right angle between the U channel and the 1/16 inch tubing. A few trial and errors later with a radial arm saw, I got the angle I needed. Then I held the tube to the left side of the vertical groove and soldered the two pieces together.

UserPostedImage

Now the reflector. The wire in the wood piece has a slight bend in it, this kept the 1/16 inch OD brass tube in the proper relationship to the shade. A bit of heat again from the soldering iron and some silver solder flowed into the joint and they were ready for paint.

UserPostedImage

Wiring went much easier than I thought. I was able to do five an hour. 24 ready to glue into place:

UserPostedImage

I have tried to make everything serviceable, or where it would be impossible to reach, permanent. The track is screwed into place with machine screws and nuts with nyloc inserts so they will never come loose. I have decided for wiring the lights I will place two copper 1/16 inch tubes at the peak running the length of the building. The wire for each pair of lights on a roof truss will be soldered to the two copper tubes. If a light should fail, a little heat from a soldering iron and it will be easily isolated from the rest of the lamps. No need to cut off shrink tubing and trying to work with wire connections that become too short in length as you may need to remake a connection. I will glue the light fixtures in place with a hot glue gun. I have found hot glue very reliable and easily removed when needed. I am waiting for the copper tubing. I plan to mark the roof truss placement on the tubing, mask those areas and paint the rest of it grey to match the interior of the roof.

I re-read this thread earlier today. About a year ago I said that all that was left was the roof. It seemed such an easy task then. LOL
Matt
Era 3
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Shamu  
#70 Posted : 27 April 2015 09:22:00(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hummm, interesting Matt.

Never knew you could get Neodymium magnets with holes in them ThumpUp, well more to the point never thought to look for them Blushing. Came across some with threaded posts on them but dear as so passed on them.

Just ordered a 50 pack of 10x3's, smallest I could find..... well thinnest at any rate. Can see the value for the roof panels, also for my 12 stall Vollmer roundhouse roof.

Out of curiosity how much paint did you end up using ? I know you did mention the quantity's you bought but how much roughly did you go thru. The Panzer Grey is not a issue as I will be building a armoured company for a military train and yard but as to the sandstone/or AK brown I think it was you used for the stone work how much ? I know I have around 3 dozen unopened old Humbrol and some Revell 20ml (maybe?) paint tins somewhere.............. where is the question though Confused.

Also what brand of "filler/putty" did you use, I haven't built a kit that needed it since the late 60's/very early 70's and I think it was some stuff made by the same mob that made "Autosol" (Confused ) alloy/metal polish. Then again maybe from Tamiya...... too long ago for my falling hard drive. I really need to find a decent hobby store to have a prowl through and catch up on what's what now days. Blushing Buckley's chance of that these days.

Any thoughts as to wether you will use those Faller I think it was arcade/bridge kits ? Spent most of today looking and can only find the cast iron bridge.

I know I sound like a broken record but thanks again so much for this thread and all the tips & hints. Hopefully between yours and Ron's I'll be able to muddle through with minimal hair loss.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline biedmatt  
#71 Posted : 27 April 2015 19:53:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I was afraid someone would ask how much paint I used. I primed the sandstone and 1st floor window/door frames, probably about 6-8 cans of spray. Panzer grey, a scientific wild ass guess is 12-15 cans. Africa Sand was 1/2 ounce jars reduced 3-1 paint/thinner. I think I bought 20 jars and had about 25% left. I bought a packet of 50 clothes pin style clamps, four corner clamps, and about six small bar clamps. See the post about erecting the walls for pictures of the clamps. The putty is Squadron model putty. I found some at eBay I could link, their website is difficult to browse. It stickts to both paint and naked plastic. The center roof section was difficult to mask between the towers and the roof. I would paint the roof first, install it and then putty and paint as I did. Much more forgiving on your mask work around the towers this way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...28790?lpid=82&chn=ps
Matt
Era 3
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#72 Posted : 07 May 2015 04:02:43(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The lights are now in and wired and the large left and right roof panels are painted.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Still waiting on the magnets so I can finish the peak and then I just have to add details and pedestrians to the platforms.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Tom Jessop  
#73 Posted : 07 May 2015 05:21:44(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Beautifulllllllll .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline NZMarklinist  
#74 Posted : 07 May 2015 06:53:39(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Matt,

Your Dammtor is looking absolutely fabulous ThumpUp

It is going to be very hard to repeat Scared

I am wondering if you are going to Ballast the tracks ??

If you are, may I suggest you consider Merkur as an easy and tidy solution Smile you will of course have to undo all those nuts and bolts tho RollEyes

http://www.merkur-styroplast.de/
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline PJMärklin  
#75 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:10:40(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
The lights are now in and wired and the large left and right roof panels are painted.

Still waiting on the magnets so I can finish the peak and then I just have to add details and pedestrians to the platforms.

Looking wonderful Matt !!

Is that a crowd of Preiserlings I can just see around the corner, clamoring to be first to be admitted for the grand opening?

Regards,

PJ
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline biedmatt  
#76 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:23:25(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Matt,

If you are, may I suggest you consider Merkur as an easy and tidy solution Smile you will of course have to undo all those nuts and bolts tho RollEyes

I didn't plan on ballast. I figured the track was attached to the (cement?) train platform and not held in place with ballast. I took a look at your pictures again in post #19 and I can not see any ballast. The Merkur ballast is nice stuff, PJ's layout looks great with it, but I have the rail to catenary clearance at my comfort level and raising the track any higher may cause some problems with pantographs.

Edited by user 07 May 2015 18:37:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#77 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:26:23(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Looking wonderful Matt !!

Is that a crowd of Preiserlings I can just see around the corner, clamoring to be first to be admitted for the grand opening?

Regards,

PJ

I have a date with Preiser's catalog tonight. LOL
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline PJMärklin  
#78 Posted : 08 May 2015 09:57:17(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hi Matt,

I didn't plan on ballast. I figured the track was attached to the (cement?) train platform and not held in place with ballast. I took a look at your pictures again in post #19 and I can not see any ballast. The Merkur ballast is nice stuff, PJ's layout looks great with it, but I have the rail to catenary clearance at my comfort level and raising the track any higher may cause some problems with pantographs.

Hi Matt and Glen,

Matt, on this image the Hamburg Dammtor Bhf track does seem to be ballasted :

UserPostedImage

Pardon my impudence to put any suggestion but you could ballast it with a dark grey (seems the colour the prototype ballast has become) woodland scenics' ballast without needing to remove or raise your track.
Hope I don't sound like a "rivet-counter".

Regards,

PJ
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline biedmatt  
#79 Posted : 08 May 2015 12:08:57(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I was looking at Glen's third and fourth pictures in post 19 and the surface just left of the rail looks smooth and even. Perhaps it is the edge of the platform. Hard to tell in 2D. But when you scroll down to the tenth picture the black ballast is quite clear. That would not be difficult to add.
Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#80 Posted : 16 May 2015 16:11:51(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I gave up on the magnets from China and found what I needed here in the states. I measured the angle of the peak at 22 degrees and set up my powered miter box and cut the tube to the angle needed. The tube is several plastic tubes glued one inside the other. The fit was so good between the tube and the peak that I used my detail remover to create a flat surface that would allow complete contact between the peak and the tube. I screwed the magnet to the tube and worked the overall length until the peak sat as I wanted on the roof.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I had another alignment problem, but identified it too late to address directly. It may be hard to see, but in the photo below, the towers are rotated inward.

UserPostedImage

This causes the arched center roof panel to pinch at the outside wall. The result is the arched roof panel is pulled away from the abutting left and right roof panels near the outer walls. In this picture you can see the gap open as it nears the outside wall at the left of the picture.

UserPostedImage

Had I recognized the problem early enough, I could have pushed the towers out similar to how I pushed the outer wall out in post #46, picture 3. The gap isn't much and it is mostly obscured by the towers, but it did cause some light leakage. So I cut some 0.020 sheet styrene, painted it grey, and attached two to each of the large left and right roof panels. These slip under the center roof panel and block any light leakage.

UserPostedImage

It is finished now and everything, including the entrance awnings, is glued into place. I just have the Preiserlings and detail items for the platform. I am expecting them in the next couple of weeks and then I will take it outside and do a photo essay with an SLR camera.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

For perspective, Faller's B-108 bahnoff

UserPostedImage

https://www.micromark.co...odelers-Chisel,7584.html

Edited by user 16 May 2015 23:33:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline PJMärklin  
#81 Posted : 17 May 2015 11:58:28(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

It is finished now and everything, including the entrance awnings, is glued into place. I just have the Preiserlings and detail items for the platform. I am expecting them in the next couple of weeks and then I will take it outside and do a photo essay with an SLR camera.

Hi Matt,

What a fine effort and a credit to your skills.

I expect the Preiserlings are anticipating the grand opening with great excitement !!

Regards,

PJ
Offline biedmatt  
#82 Posted : 17 May 2015 12:37:34(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello PJ, I am glad it is finished. It was a challenge to build and I would do it again, it is an imposing structure that demands attention, but once is enough. The few month it sat stagnant, it stared at me like an Albatross about my neck. I knew I needed to get back at it, but I wasn't quite ready at the time.

Now I am looking at M's 72150. Yes, I am sick.
Matt
Era 3
Offline NZMarklinist  
#83 Posted : 18 May 2015 04:05:20(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

I would do it again, it is an imposing structure that demands attention, but once is enough.

Gee for a second there Matt Huh but ok, no I won't send you my Kit to build BigGrin

M72150 ; Yes just a bit Wink

Thanks for all the great detail and explanation Woot

Your result is fantastic ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline ninobenve  
#84 Posted : 20 May 2015 00:07:23(UTC)
ninobenve

Argentina   
Wünderbar!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ninobenve
Offline kiwiAlan  
#85 Posted : 20 May 2015 00:23:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello PJ, I am glad it is finished. It was a challenge to build and I would do it again, it is an imposing structure that demands attention, but once is enough. The few month it sat stagnant, it stared at me like an Albatross about my neck. I knew I needed to get back at it, but I wasn't quite ready at the time.

Aaaaah, I have one of those as well ... Scared Scared Scared Scared
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline biedmatt  
#86 Posted : 09 June 2015 01:31:58(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Interior pictures. A bit of flair on some that were taken through the side windows, but I think you can see the inside fairly well. You can catch a glimpse of the scallops at the end walls. I did as the DB and removed them above the track for catenary clearance.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My favorite. Catenary, building structure, windows, interior brick detail, Preiserlings and a V200.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Exterior pictures as soon as the wind dies down and I can take it outside.

Edited by user 10 June 2015 23:26:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Shamu  
#87 Posted : 09 June 2015 02:11:05(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Excellent Matt,

Small fortune in Presserlings there though Blink guess you can't skimp on a station like this ThumpUp
Offline Br502362  
#88 Posted : 09 June 2015 08:15:09(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
^^ I am speechless Love

Matt... you have succeeded in making something that I could only dream of.

Guys... hats off for Matt ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Chers

Åke
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Chipopo  
#89 Posted : 09 June 2015 08:51:52(UTC)
Chipopo

Israel   
Great Station, Great work !

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chipopo
Offline NZMarklinist  
#90 Posted : 09 June 2015 09:57:27(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,

I do have a few close ups of the track so will look them up and post, it's definitely ballasted, sorry I missed this earlier. Sleep

The Merkur is only 3mm thick btw Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Shamu  
#91 Posted : 09 June 2015 11:13:28(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I suppose if Matt was keen enough he could spend a month or so having another nervous breakdown and use a razor knife to cut out the sleeper beds from the Merkur so the track sits flush Confused Cursing Crying

Guess it would be worth it in the end for aesthetics.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline biedmatt  
#92 Posted : 09 June 2015 12:32:20(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
It could be ballasted in the tradition way using Proses' new ballasting tool. Tricky, but it could be done. That though will wait until it is on the layout. The platforms are just resting on the track base. I didn't want to glue them in until I worked out extensions exiting both sides of the station. The ballast will glue them down too and I do not want to fix them in place just yet.
Matt
Era 3
Offline kiwiAlan  
#93 Posted : 09 June 2015 14:10:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Interior pictures. A bit of flair on some that were taken through the side windows, but I think you can see the inside fairly well. You can catch a glimpse of the scallops at the end walls. I did as the DB and removed them above the track for catenary clearance.

UserPostedImage

I feel like the urchin in the movie looking in through the window at all the people enjoying themselves ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

UserPostedImage

I wondered where the bat had come from that has appeared in the left hand side of the picture ... Blink Blink Blink then I realised what the big black shape was ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline biedmatt  
#94 Posted : 14 June 2015 20:03:58(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
A final deep breath and it is finished.

I like how small and insignificant the people appear through the windows in this picture. Really helps you understand the scale of the building.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edit: Well, maybe I'm not finished. Looks like I need to touch up a spot between the doors.

Edited by user 19 June 2015 22:48:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline PJMärklin  
#95 Posted : 14 June 2015 21:18:08(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
A final deep breath and it is finished.

Edit: Well, maybe I'm not finished. Looks like I need to touch up a spot between the doors.

Hello Matt,

Looks fantastic !

Regards,

PJ
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#96 Posted : 14 June 2015 21:30:55(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
That looks AMAZING!!!!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline SNAFU  
#97 Posted : 15 June 2015 09:42:12(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
What you have achieved is fantastic!
Your interior shots give so much life and detail to your labor of love.
Putting on the layout will be something to behold.
Regards
Tony
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SNAFU
Offline glight1  
#98 Posted : 16 June 2015 16:03:57(UTC)
glight1

United States   
I really like the way you've lightly weathered the exterior. Perfect!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by glight1
Offline Minok  
#99 Posted : 08 February 2016 21:41:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thanks for the very detailed and informative thread and what a fantastic result. This will serve as an inspiration as I just start down the adventure of building my own model railroad in my house. Seeing how beautiful such a station can turn out I am convinced I must have one large station like this in the mix. Thanks so much for sharing.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#100 Posted : 08 February 2016 21:59:36(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Stunning work!

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752