Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2014 06:13:28(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hello all. My first decoder issue in over 5 years. Yesterday my BR E41 (39410) developed a problem. The light and sound functions no longer work. The engine runs and the momentum function still works but everything else is not responding. I am using an ECOS 2 and the issue is unique to this engine.

I have a few questions, has anyone else encountered a similar problem with this engine?

Second what is the purpose of the larger board inside the engine that the decoder actually plugs into? The lights and motor are wired into it. I did notice a couple spots on that board that looked like they could have been fried, I am thinking they are transistors (I will attach pics if I can get a good enough shot).

Final question, I didn't like the sound on this engine anyway so can I simply replace the board and decoder with a lokpilot V4 and are they compatible with the soft drive motors?

Thanks.

Chris
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2014 06:34:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Chris, yes they are, to adjust the motor, (if you have a lokprogrammer) under motor setting go down to Märklin C-Sine soft drive motor with circuit board, my BR 41 has an ESU sound decoder

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2014 08:21:25(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Final question, I didn't like the sound on this engine anyway so can I simply replace the board and decoder with a lokpilot V4 and are they compatible with the soft drive motors?
ESU decoders are not compatible with C Sinus motors, therefore you cannot replace the board that connects decoder and motor. You can replace the decoder and the noise board, but have to keep the driver electronics for the motor.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Chris6382chris  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2014 08:37:15(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks for both responses. I know this is a shot in the dark, but if the light and sound functions aren't working but the engine runs and the momentum function works where is the likely problem? The Decoder or is there no way to tell short of replacing it.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2014 09:28:07(UTC)
H0

Maybe decoder not pushed all the way down.
Maybe the "orange wire" is off, disturbing lights and sound.

Other locos with 21MTC available that allow you to swap decoders between them for a test? Be aware that Märklin uses two different configurations of the 21MTC socket therefore make sure to swap compatible decoders only.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Chris6382chris  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2014 00:07:54(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks Tom. Later today I am going to try a decoder reset, I understand if I change the CV 8 value to 8 it should reset the decoder, I will see if this addresses my issue. If not, I will have to look at replacing the Board or the Decoder or both.