Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fje  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2014 23:42:21(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, does anyone know how the old Märklin 4079 or 4080 can be opened?

I just bought a couple of them and I would like to open them in order to repair some of the Windows. I see it might be posible, because the body of the wagon clearly separate of the floor in the midle of the wagon, but the sides seems to be hard fixed Mad .

Thanks for any help!

regards

Javier
Offline Dangermouse  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2014 00:15:08(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Have a look underneath, there may be a couple of screws going through the chassis and into the body. That's if they're built in the same fashion as the 409x coaches, anyway.

I know on the later 43xx versions of these coaches the body lifts off if you first unclip the gangways from each end, but I've not handled one of the earlier type so I'm not sure. If you don't see any screws underneath then they may be assembled in the same way.

Edit, just found a photo showing the underside. I'd try gently unclipping the gangways as on the 42xx coaches and see if that frees the body.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dangermouse
Offline scarfo  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2014 04:53:54(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Hi Javier - turn the coach upside down, move the coupler to one side and you will see a small metal tab (part of the metal chassis) - bend up this tab with a small screwdriver to release the pressure on the plastic tab that holds the body to the chassis at both ends - release both tabs and the body will lift off. Windows are easily replaced once inside.
Hope this helps
Regards charles
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by scarfo
Offline fje  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2014 07:46:29(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hello,

Thanks to both of you for your answer. I don't have the coaches at hand at this moment, and probably I will have to wait over the weekend to have access to them, as soon as Ihave them again I will try what both of you suggest.

What I remember is not have seen any screw on underneath of the coaches, so, most probably, the way to do it is what scarfo suggest.

As soon as I can have a look to them, I will update this confirming what solution I found.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Javier
Offline fje  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2014 16:32:38(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi... I did it!!!!Laugh

Thanks so much for the cues you gave to me.ThumpUp

In fact the key point was the one scarfo gave.... exactly that one. Anyway, to do it maybe easier, I also took out the coupler (very easy to do in this coach) and it worked.

Thanks so much, this way I will probably do something additional for these coaches intended for my grandson, what is probably put some light on them (might be leds instead of the standard bulbs intended for them) and probably some seats and passengers inside.....

Thanks again for your help.

Javier
Offline TheFatTick  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2014 19:55:08(UTC)
TheFatTick

United States   
FJE - I would be very interested in where you are obtaining interior details like seating. Thanks!
Offline fje  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2014 20:05:17(UTC)
fje

Spain   
No problem, I will post here, but it will take some time, because this is intended to be a gift to my grand son and I will not be able to work on it till after summer, let say by Octoober time frame (if he allows me to do it BigGrin )

Anyway, the idea I have is to use the same interiors 0225 that were used for the 4022 coach and that I already used for my old 346/1s and also some additional passengers....

Additionally, most probably I will not use the bulb of 7074 ilumination set, but leds instead.

But I'm commited to put some pictures here BigGrin

Regards

Javier