Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2014 03:22:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I took these photos from Finnish Railway Museum in Hyvinkää (Southern Finland). All of these are in 1:10 scale.

Finnish old diesel locomotive:

UserPostedImage

Finnish diesel locomotive operated by car battery and used as a garden train Smile :

UserPostedImage

Here the same with my oldest 6 year old son as a passenger Smile. The track is about 200 meters long and they use also other locomotives sometimes:

UserPostedImage

"Ilmarinen" an old Finnish steam locomotive and it´s prototypes 1:1 sign:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Old wooden passenger car:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Another old steam locomotive D1 "Arnold". This one has moving mechanics and it is used with 20 cent coins. It was manufactured between the years 1929-1931:

UserPostedImage

I will post soon photos of a really impressive looking 1:10 scale Finnish live steam locomotive type Tk 3 nickname "Pikku Jumpo". In those photos it is without it´s tender, but the details of it are awesome Love . Unfortunately it is behind some glass windows and they are reflecting badly when taking photos...

Love

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2014 03:36:44(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Here those photos of this K5 type (later Tk3) live steam locomotive. It looks much better live than in these bad quality photos Blushing. Here also some information about the prototype Tk3: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR_Class_Tk3

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I think this beauty Love is running also on that garden track, but not very often as it looks so nice and clean at the moment.

Cheers,
Janne

Edited by user 14 July 2014 01:35:27(UTC)  | Reason: Added link and K5

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2014 04:11:02(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Excellent photo's Janne,

Could just be me but many of your older loco's have what I would consider a "American" look to them. Not that there is such a think I guess but I get that feeling looking at some of these as well as the 1:1 loco's.

Great to get up close with engines and rolling stock from the other side of the world. Thanks heaps for sharing with us.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2014 08:49:04(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Excellent photo's Janne,

Could just be me but many of your older loco's have what I would consider a "American" look to them. Not that there is such a think I guess but I get that feeling looking at some of these as well as the 1:1 loco's.

Great to get up close with engines and rolling stock from the other side of the world. Thanks heaps for sharing with us.

I guess you refer to the conical shape of the exhaust stack...
That is typical of wood burning locomotives that are fitted with a (often conical) spark arrester, mounted to reduce the risk of setting the forest and other RR surroundings on fire..
But you probably knew that!
In any case, beautiful models Janne...I understand you and kids enjoyed it...I witness that every day as I run a similar train (one live steam lok and one diesel) and local kids love it, all along learning at how trains (used to) work!
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2014 09:05:13(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I guess so up to a point Jacques.

It was just a overall impression with maybe 4 of them. A combination of the colour schemes, snow catchers (cow catchers) and the basic boxy engineers cabs on those particular loco's along with the spark arrestor stacks and even possibly the wheel arrangement.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Janne75  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2014 10:22:13(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Every day is a day for learning something new. I didn´t know this about why in many early locomotives there are conical shape exhaust stacks. Now I know, thanks Jacques ThumpUp . They might have been used in Finland many similar things from American locomotives. One Finnish large freight locomotive Tr2 is actually American steam locomotive. In Finland steam locomotive models type codings first big letters have this meaning:

H = Henkilöveturi (Passenger locomotive)
T = Tavaraveturi (Freight locomotive)
S = Sekalaiseen ajoon tarkoitettu veturi (Mixed service locomotive)
P = Paikallisveturi (Local traffic locomotive)
V = Vaihtoveturi (Switching locomotive)

Second smaller letter has this meaning:

r = Raskas (Heavyweight)
k = Kevyt (Lightweight)

There are maybe other meanings or letters, but I don´t know about them.

Regards,
Janne
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2014 10:54:30(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Great shots Janne,In the USA on logging lines with so many wooden trestle bridges the risk of fire was so high that they used all types of weird spark arrestors to try and stop fires. Some worked better than others, but most of the wooden trestles would have caught fire and been rebuilt a few times over their life span. Take care Eddie Wink Wink
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 10 July 2014 00:27:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Janne,
As others have said, great photos, and thanks for sharing.

I was intrigued by the third cylinder on the outer side of the driving and valve cylinders on Lokomo 870.
In a steam loco, the first two are normal, but I don't know the reason for the third.

Perhaps someone on this forum may know the answer.

And Janne, can you tell us please, what gauge are the Finnish Railways?

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 11 July 2014 00:49:43(UTC)  | Reason: corrected spelling

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 10 July 2014 23:55:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Kimball,

Thank you. I took many photos from the Finnish Railway Museum and there is a topic from this under Prototype section of this forum. I took actually photos showing the differences between Finnish railroads and common European railroads track width.

Edit: Finland has 1524 mm and common European track width is 1435 mm. So we have wider track width here and almost the same as in Russia. So no 1:87 H0 scale models are manufactured by Märklin from Finnish trains then... 😳.

Regards,
Janne

Edited by user 12 July 2014 09:41:40(UTC)  | Reason: Corrected the track widths in Finland and Europe as they were wrong

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75