Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2014 00:26:02(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello,

This is a character building experience! Beautiful locomotive, but runs like a rotten onion, rotte ui, verrottet zwiebel!

I remember well, working in Nijmegen, Holland in 1976, selling hamburgers for my uncle Jopie, "a hamburger tastes best with cooked onions!" He would say, "But watch out for the rotten onions, they stink!"

This beautiful Marklin Locomotive runs like a rotten onion, looks good, smells bad and maybe needs to be thrown out! It sputters and chugs around the track, just wanting to go, but it doesn't go! It just sputters and chugs!

Maybe it needs to go....Cursing

Michel

Edited by user 08 July 2014 16:42:08(UTC)  | Reason: Better explanation of topic

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2014 08:07:48(UTC)
H0

Quo vadis, Loco Reviews section?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2014 15:56:29(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Quo vadis, Loco Reviews section?

Hello HO,

I edited my post to better explain what the issue is.

Originally I thought that this beautiful Swiss electric locomotive would run nicely out of the box. How wrong I was!

After taking it apart to clean it reminded me of an onion, so many layers to get to the motor to clean. Even now with it cleaned it's still a rotten onion!

Are all the Marklin 33592 AE 8/14's like this?

Michel
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2014 22:42:47(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Those delta ones are rough. Not cheap, but a conversion to digital 5 pole is a quick fix. Scott at Helmuts hobbies had the PC board with DCC NEM socket in stock about ~8 months ago when I was debating converting mine.

In the end I didn't because mine runs probably less than 10 minutes a year and I couldn't justify the cost of board, decoder and 2 motor kits, so maybe he still has the parts
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2014 02:08:10(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Those delta ones are rough. Not cheap, but a conversion to digital 5 pole is a quick fix. Scott at Helmuts hobbies had the PC board with DCC NEM socket in stock about ~8 months ago when I was debating converting mine.

In the end I didn't because mine runs probably less than 10 minutes a year and I couldn't justify the cost of board, decoder and 2 motor kits, so maybe he still has the parts

Hello, thank you very much for your reply! If I am correct we know each other, greetings from Canada! Happy Fourth of July!

I had this for about three months after winning it on flea bay. Once on the track I applied power only to hear a humming sound.... thinking that the old oil congealed and hardened, I thought cleaning it would make it new! After cleaning and a lubrication it was not to be. So if I may say are all old Marklin Delta locomotives the same, especially the three pole motors like this? If so them I'm calling it a rotten onion! Michel
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2014 08:22:03(UTC)
H0

Hello, michelvr!
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
I edited my post to better explain what the issue is.
Still doesn't qualify as a "loco review" IMHO.
One of the moderators also must have seen it that way and moved the thread to a different forum. Makes their lives easier if you open threads in the appropriate forum (Onions, hamburgers, smells, Klos? Maybe try NMR Wink ).

Delta decoders are not state of the art.
From your description I cannot tell whether the loco works as intended or has a technical problem.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dangermouse  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2014 15:26:10(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
A couple of ESU Lokpilot kits should fix it (assuming that this has twin motors). You'll need a soldering iron, flux, solder, small screwdrivers, small pliers, and some heat-shrink sleeving to do a neat job.

Delta and 6080 locos are never the best runners, although I have one or two which behave surprisingly well. I find that lubricating the armature bearings (or filling the oil pads above them on flat commutator motors) does a lot to quieten them.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2014 22:47:50(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi again! Of course we know each other, your old layout track is my new layout track BigGrin Many thanks as I'm enjoying them!

Back to the 8/14, now that I hear your story it sounds like a bigger problem than just a regular delta locomotive. Regular delta runs fine in the general, they just don't run well like a digital locomotive, or any better than an analogue one.

perhaps its a decoder problem?

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2014 23:20:46(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
"Delta and 6080 locos are never the best runners, although I have one or two which behave surprisingly well. I find that lubricating the armature bearings (or filling the oil pads above them on flat commutator motors) does a lot to quieten them."

This is true. Another good option with DCM type motor equipped locos is to put two small ball bearings to get them running much better and no need to oil them anymore so often. They have then still less speed steps than newer ones, no acceleration and braking delay, no adjustable top speed, run with higher speeds downhill and slower speeds uphill etc. But I'm very pleased with many of mine after putting ball bearings in them. Before this I was not with most of them. Actually I like the "realistic" slow down when loco has to climb uphill. It looks like it has to pull a very heavy train. Newer ones just run at the same speed and it looks like there is no "hard work" for the loco. RollEyes

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline michelvr  
#10 Posted : 10 July 2014 02:30:35(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Thank you, Tom, Dangermouse, John and Janne,

This was my review of a beautiful Marklin 33592 AE 8 14 electric locomotive. My descriptive correlation to a rotten onion is mine and mine alone. The placement in the post selection was as I thought correct.

As mentioned, I'm new to this wonderful world of Marklin and I have a lot to learn. Without your replies I would be no wiser!

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 10 July 2014 05:24:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Michel, the loco itself has some history and the design and structure is ok, its all metal, for you to change the running characteristics you have to decide what and if you want to change anything, one can argue or debate this issue for ever but this will not change the running of the loco what ever the reason may be. if you are intending to run it digital and you are prepared to spend some money to improve the whole loco, may I suggest to get yourself 2 x 5 pole high effficiency motors and 1 ESU V4 decoder and this will solve your problem or even a SOUND DECODER.
you've done the right thing by cleaning the loco but make sure the motor is not over oiled besides what you've done I can't see what else you could do except my recommendation.

regards.,John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109