Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline greytag  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2014 12:01:33(UTC)
greytag

Sweden   
I have been trying to get stated with my Märklin trains for a while now, but I seem to have a general lack of space in the foreseeable future. Oh well.

As I get more comfortable with my track and the functions I try to look at how to make my track more exiting, but there is an issue with information.
This forum and others are responding well to questions and I can go to a store and get answers but as far as I can find there are no well written tutorials for well... anything really. The Märklin website is horrible really only a webstore and pure technical information but no information on what a thing are and what it does.

I have found books that are very expensive and may or may not have the information I seek, mostly in german though.

The problem is, I can't pose intelligent questions until I have a basic understanding of things.

Basically I am looking for interesting beginner tutorials and informative examples of most things:
- How to use a circuit track
- How to use an S88
- Cool electronic examples for beginners
- How do I plug in a power booster and when
- How do I use other digital systems
- How do I use Railduino :)
- More!

Maybe I'm just missing some informational treasury right in front of my eyes.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2014 20:42:48(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello greytag,

A few information that may help you:
-Some Marklin manual (Controlling Locomotives, Trains, and Accessories - Electrical Manual. EN, Item No.: 07421), which covers most of the basic and the beginning of digital: https://www.maerklinshop...966a480&anid=M007421
-About S88 and most devices used in digital world, see the LDT site. I suggest you to have a look at the compendium : http://www.ldt-infocente....php?id=en:kompendium... You'll find a lot of schema explaining how to wire things together regarding digital world.
-About other digital system, I don't know exactly what you're looking for. There are mainly 2 or 3 standard protocols: MM (Marklin Motorola legacy protocol), MFX (specific to Marklin, also call M4 by ESU), and DCC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Command_Control) published by the NMRA. Most of the digital command stations support at least DCC and MM, and sometimes also MFX (The ESU Ecos2 and Marklin 60215 command station)
-About Railduino, I don't know anything. Other members may provide better information

My 2 cents...
Cheers
fabrice
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2014 21:26:45(UTC)
Webmaster

Regarding using Arduino for control (Railuino)...

A topic about the Railuino:

https://www.marklin-user...d-station--Railuino.aspx

The project:

https://code.google.com/p/railuino/

Turntable control with Arduino:

https://www.marklin-user...rolled-with-ARDUINO.aspx
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2014 21:30:24(UTC)
Webmaster

And you are perfectly right greytag, everything is in the forum history but maybe not so easily searchable - so some work has to be done so these basic principles are easily accessible in someother way indeed...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2014 03:55:17(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
And you are perfectly right greytag, everything is in the forum history but maybe not so easily searchable - so some work has to be done so these basic principles are easily accessible in someother way indeed...

Perhaps Juhan a sticky in the General section "Starting Out" or similar with all the obvious and less than obvious threads that are pertinent to the "Beginner" who is more often than not clueless about model trains.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Greytag that there is very little "easily found" information for beginners or those returning after a 30 or 40 year hiatus.

Unfortunately much of what is available or easily found is basically "assumed prior knowledge" and doesn't really help someone after basic information all in the one place. The almost total lack of any printed material in any language other than German is also a major stumbling block for many of us than need a book or printed matter to make sense of things. More often than not a simple drawing can make more sense to me than 5 pages of in depth descriptions of how to do something but instant understanding once a clear diagram is seen. For me at least a circuit diagram of a decoder makes more sense than a picture with colour coded label's.

I may have spent ~35 years in IT but returning to model trains after a nearly 30 year break due to kids and the brave new world of "Digital" I was totally confused by it all (and still am by many things). A guide for the "clueless" would be a excellent idea to me.

Maybe a blow by blow description of how to assemble a dual track oval with 4 points, a un-coupler track, blocks/contact sections and setting up a MS2 (or maybe others) could be helpful for many. Any of the better "Starter Sets" could be used as examples so long as they covered what most newbies would need help with.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Please note that I am referring to Marklin and 3 rail in general with all the comments above.

Anyway sorry for the rant, (old farts disease according to the g'kids)

Shane
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline greytag  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2014 11:22:59(UTC)
greytag

Sweden   
Thank you for your input. I will have a look at you links.

I am glad to see that it's not just me.

As for me I would gladly contribute to a tutorials page, given time and ehm... skills. :P
I have done a small bit of train detection and want to document and share it when I'm done.