Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2014 08:14:02(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Afternoon all,

A 42229 Hapag-Lloyd set is coming my way (along with a 37193 BR 17) and I want to bring it up to a 6 coach consist as I try to do with all my main line passenger trains.

I'd like to bung a DSG/Mitropa diner in the mix and either another coach or baggage. I've gone through my catalogues going back to 1999 but can't find anything that matches what appears to be the "dirty" brown/green of the 42229 set (not relevant for a DSG/Mitropa coach). Could just be all the photos I've seen so far give that impression.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline SNAFU  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2014 08:56:07(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
Hi Shamu

Marklin did produce some coaches following the 42229 set that are the same type and came as individual coaches. I think Roco do a similar style of coach as well. Try Modellbahn Kramm they might still have one in stock.
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2014 12:11:22(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Tony,

I looked at the 42232, 42252 & 42253 from '11 prospectus but they seamed to be a "greener" green than the Hapag-Lloyd set which in the catalogue looks almost a olive drab. I only got this set because it was a bargain and I'm not going to spend a small fortune on another 42229 just to pad it out. If I knew someone that wanted to go halves for a cheap set it might be a option but not top of my list.

Although I have 95% of all the catalogues I am missing the 10/11 yearbook so maybe there was something in it closer in color. I do recall there were several DRG sets around 15-20 years ago but I haven't got around to going thru those old catalogues yet.

I will have to wait a few days till it arrives so I can get a better idea of the color but it doesn't really solve the issue of trying to buy matching coaches going by pictures on the net.

I only really need 1 coach as I will find a DSG/Mitropa Buffet coach somewhere that matches. I think I have a matching baggage coach packed away somewhere.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline shamrock  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2014 07:31:55(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Shane,

I think the 42229 is a real sharp set. Please let me know your thoughts once you view it in person as I have not had the chance.

Have you looked at the 42269 "Eilzug"? Perhaps you already have two Silberlinge cars to use in the same manner? I hope my suggestion doesn't offend you or anyone else if this combination is completely incorrect from a prototypical standpoint but it does seem to work visually.

Cheers,

Tim
CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2014 08:19:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: shamrock Go to Quoted Post
I think the 42229 is a real sharp set. [,,,]
Have you looked at the 42269 "Eilzug"? [...] I hope my suggestion doesn't offend you or anyone else if this combination is completely incorrect from a prototypical standpoint but it does seem to work visually.
Green coaches from the same mould.
But from different eras. The 42229 is pre-war era II, the 42269 is era III.

The only way to use them in one train would be a museum train, probably era IV through era VI.

You don't need two baggage cars in one train. There are many era III coaches to extend the 42269 set (e.g. Umbauwagen).
Silberlinge are no good companions for the HAPAG-Lloyd train (unless you want a museum train).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Shamu  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2014 09:23:19(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Shane,

I think the 42229 is a real sharp set. Please let me know your thoughts once you view it in person as I have not had the chance.

Have you looked at the 42269 "Eilzug"? Perhaps you already have two Silberlinge cars to use in the same manner? I hope my suggestion doesn't offend you or anyone else if this combination is completely incorrect from a prototypical standpoint but it does seem to work visually.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks mate, yeah they are a real nice set but as much as I have a few coaches that are DRG and physically almost identical they are way lighter in colour than the 42229 set, the photo is not the best but gives a idea; https://www.marklin-user...-Edition.aspx#post460996

Even though they never ran with dining coaches I've got a old Roco 1930's Pike car that matches but nothing that I have in the way of Pike coaches comes anywhere close in colour so the only option that I see is to get one of the coaches from '11/12 I.E. 42232, 42252 or 42253. As best I can make out they should be exact matches to the 42229 set.

The closest I have is a abc4u Marklin #4143 but again it is the "normal" green not the dark or olive green of the 42229 set. It also has the curved end lines to the roof and not the angular ones of this set otherwise I'd be tempted to try to give it a dark wash to try to match the colour.

Think in the end I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend the 40 odd euro's that the 42232/53/53's seam to be going for. At least I only need one because if I wanted 2 or more it would be getting into the territory of just getting another 42229 set.

The old 42751 Express DRG Coach set from 1999/2000 would be about the best match in colour but the coaches themselves aren't a perfect fit, I will keep a eye out for it anyway as it has been on my short list for awhile. There was also a "Berliner"?? set a few years back that I can't find in my catalogues that might match as well.

I've toyed in the past with the 42269 set but I have no use for the "Silberlinge" coaches (can't stand the look of them) as I have done my best to draw a line in the sand at 1950 for my rolling stock and layout. Then again if I got one for peanuts I could split the other 3 up between what I have now to pad out some sets and sell the "Silberlinge", would have to be under $150 for me to even consider it though.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline shamrock  
#7 Posted : 30 June 2014 13:39:50(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I think the 42229 is a real sharp set. [,,,]
Have you looked at the 42269 "Eilzug"? [...] I hope my suggestion doesn't offend you or anyone else if this combination is completely incorrect from a prototypical standpoint but it does seem to work visually.
Green coaches from the same mould.
But from different eras. The 42229 is pre-war era II, the 42269 is era III.

The only way to use them in one train would be a museum train, probably era IV through era VI.

You don't need two baggage cars in one train. There are many era III coaches to extend the 42269 set (e.g. Umbauwagen).
Silberlinge are no good companions for the HAPAG-Lloyd train (unless you want a museum train).

Tom, you are correct. I knew I had to include an upfront apology as I was certainly reaching here with my creativity but I do like the idea a museum train.

Cheers,

Tim
CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
Offline shamrock  
#8 Posted : 30 June 2014 14:02:00(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks mate, yeah they are a real nice set but as much as I have a few coaches that are DRG and physically almost identical they are way lighter in colour than the 42229 set, the photo is not the best but gives a idea; https://www.marklin-user...-Edition.aspx#post460996

Even though they never ran with dining coaches I've got a old Roco 1930's Pike car that matches but nothing that I have in the way of Pike coaches comes anywhere close in colour so the only option that I see is to get one of the coaches from '11/12 I.E. 42232, 42252 or 42253. As best I can make out they should be exact matches to the 42229 set.

The closest I have is a abc4u Marklin #4143 but again it is the "normal" green not the dark or olive green of the 42229 set. It also has the curved end lines to the roof and not the angular ones of this set otherwise I'd be tempted to try to give it a dark wash to try to match the colour.

Think in the end I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend the 40 odd euro's that the 42232/53/53's seam to be going for. At least I only need one because if I wanted 2 or more it would be getting into the territory of just getting another 42229 set.

The old 42751 Express DRG Coach set from 1999/2000 would be about the best match in colour but the coaches themselves aren't a perfect fit, I will keep a eye out for it anyway as it has been on my short list for awhile. There was also a "Berliner"?? set a few years back that I can't find in my catalogues that might match as well.

I've toyed in the past with the 42269 set but I have no use for the "Silberlinge" coaches (can't stand the look of them) as I have done my best to draw a line in the sand at 1950 for my rolling stock and layout. Then again if I got one for peanuts I could split the other 3 up between what I have now to pad out some sets and sell the "Silberlinge", would have to be under $150 for me to even consider it though.

Thank you for the link, Shane, as I had missed that post. The photo does better show the depth of color. It seems your only decision is which coach to choose between the 42232/52/53. Perhaps you need a 3rd class?

At any rate, I really like the highlighted ladders on these coaches that are not on the 42269 coaches. Any chance the 42229 set is tinplate? Sorry, but I am never 100% when looking up coach descriptions for that as it seems a few are not specifically noted like others.

Either way, cheers!

Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2014 02:26:23(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   

Thank you for the link, Shane, as I had missed that post. The photo does better show the depth of color. It seems your only decision is which coach to choose between the 42232/52/53. Perhaps you need a 3rd class?

At any rate, I really like the highlighted ladders on these coaches that are not on the 42269 coaches. Any chance the 42229 set is tinplate? Sorry, but I am never 100% when looking up coach descriptions for that as it seems a few are not specifically noted like others.

Either way, cheers!

Tim

Thanks Tim,

You bring up a salient point with the ladders, they pretty much make the 42232/52/53 the only option to also have matching running gear/under coach detail. I just can't bring myself to pay around 45 euro plus up to that again for postage for one. Will just have to wait till one of my favourite dealers has one of them when I do another big parts order. With average postage to Oz around the 40 euro mark I always try to buy enough to spread the load so to speak to justify the cost of shipping and still get good unit prices.

No they are not tinplate just good old plastic. With the exception of 2 of my Rheingold sets and 4064 sleeper all my coaches are plastic, I know there are some excellent tin plate ones but overall I prefer the plastic coaches.
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 01 July 2014 04:20:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I guess that you can check through the Brawa, Roco, Liliput and even Trix catalogs for other similar coaches of the same era. (Like Trix 23395).
It is quite possible that a train from Bremen or Hamburg to the ship loading point might include other coaches that travelled from further afar.
If you are not a nitpicker, you can also purchase a second set and set the duplicate baggage coach aside.

Miba had published books in German (Zugbildung) by Michael Meinhold describing consists for Era II and Era III which can relatively easily be found, which might give you some ideas.
https://shop.vgbahn.info...nisse.html?sq=zugbildung

I hope that this info helps

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline shamrock  
#11 Posted : 01 July 2014 04:32:12(UTC)
shamrock

United States   

Either way, cheers!

Tim

Thanks Tim,

You bring up a salient point with the ladders, they pretty much make the 42232/52/53 the only option to also have matching running gear/under coach detail. I just can't bring myself to pay around 45 euro plus up to that again for postage for one. Will just have to wait till one of my favourite dealers has one of them when I do another big parts order. With average postage to Oz around the 40 euro mark I always try to buy enough to spread the load so to speak to justify the cost of shipping and still get good unit prices.

No they are not tinplate just good old plastic. With the exception of 2 of my Rheingold sets and 4064 sleeper all my coaches are plastic, I know there are some excellent tin plate ones but overall I prefer the plastic coaches.

Yes, the ladders are the linchpin. Costly fellas. Shipping to Oz? Ouch.

I asked about the tinplate as I was thinking again of anything else that I have seen that was similar or I might have missed but it keeps coming back to the same option you already have.

The good news is that the set you have is a beauty and I'm glad I got to take a closer look at it.

Cheers,

Tim
User is suspended until 21/07/4752 11:48:10(UTC) Barguest  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2014 12:23:51(UTC)
Barguest

Afternoon all,

A 42229 Hapag-Lloyd set is coming my way (along with a 37193 BR 17) and I want to bring it up to a 6 coach consist as I try to do with all my main line passenger trains.

I'd like to bung a DSG/Mitropa diner in the mix and either another coach or baggage. I've gone through my catalogues going back to 1999 but can't find anything that matches what appears to be the "dirty" brown/green of the 42229 set (not relevant for a DSG/Mitropa coach). Could just be all the photos I've seen so far give that impression.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

hello.
as far as i know marklin make either the older CIWL style, or the schurzwagen style.
try the 42762 set. It has a mitopa diner, a mail car, a hecht wagon and a bayern wagen.
maybe this is what you looking for.

otherwise fleishmann do the 1935 style mirtopa diner and roco do the 1937 style.

I have the 42229 and individual cars from 2012. Only change is interior color.
Alias for Mulldog Lemmon
Offline Dangermouse  
#13 Posted : 08 July 2014 12:39:32(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
I've been watching 42269 prices for a while, and will probably order one in a couple of weeks as they're now very cheap for what you get. I've seen them for as little as €130 which is very good value for five coaches, given that they normally go for €30-€40 each sold singly.

I have noticed at least one seller splitting them up, so if you want the green stock from it you should be able to buy just those. They are Ep.III but would have been around right to the end of your chosen time frame.
You can never have too many Silberlinge