Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DaveCowl  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2014 18:48:27(UTC)
DaveCowl

United States   
Has anyone had any experience with the old analog AC Electrotren models?

I have one that has an old decoder (6080 or 6090) but it still runs fairly rough. I would like to go 5 pole but the motor housing doesn't seem to match the basic Märklin ones - maybe it matches one of the more unusual ones...?

In any case, I think that there is limited benefit in trying to clean it up to run better without converting to 5 pole...

Any input appreciated.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2014 19:18:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: DaveCowl Go to Quoted Post

I have one that has an old decoder (6080 or 6090) but it still runs fairly rough. I would like to go 5 pole but the motor housing doesn't seem to match the basic Märklin ones - maybe it matches one of the more unusual ones...?

In any case, I think that there is limited benefit in trying to clean it up to run better without converting to 5 pole...

Any input appreciated.

Hi Dave,

I doubt whether the Marklin motor parts will fit an Electrotren loco. You could try instead one of the Uhlenbrock decoders which will work with AC motors, and have better regulation than the Marklin 6080 type decoders.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2014 20:18:33(UTC)
Webmaster

Moved to separate new topic. /Webmaster
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Dangermouse  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2014 22:03:12(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
What does the Electrotren motor look like?

It may be possible to replace the whole thing, I know there was a remotoring kit for Lima models with the "pancake" motors which fitted a wide, flat DC can motor (the type often found in cassette players) in place of the original.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline Sparrow  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2014 00:06:51(UTC)
Sparrow

Spain   
Originally Posted by: DaveCowl Go to Quoted Post

Any input appreciated.

Hi Dave. I own two small Electrotren steamers (ref. 4000). They have SFCM like motors, three pole of course. Hamo magnets made by ESU or Märklin won't fit it's metal housing without some surgery. I know it can be done but I haven't tried myself. Instead i bought a second hand scraped DC version and used it's permanent magnet.
Anyway I'm afraid you are not going to be able to force one of these little beasts anywhere near a smooth performance. They are cute, and at the same time sturdy and reliable, but by no means smooth! BigGrin
Best regards.
Luis.