Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2014 05:03:48(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hi, can anyone tell me what the current threshold is before people start getting charged when importing goods there?
Thank you!
Offline Shamu  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2014 05:26:09(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Can't say for sure but going by some nasty feedback I've seen on eBay from people in the UK (buying from O/S) complaining about VAT on $10 items I get the impression that its 0.

As I said, just my impression. One of the lads from the UK will no doubt clarify the matter.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2014 16:55:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
VAT is paid on items bought within the EU. Import duty is paid on imports from outside the EU. Both are flat rates. There are no thresholds.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2014 03:42:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If I am importing a barrel, do I still have to pay VAT?
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2014 12:16:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If I am importing a barrel, do I still have to pay VAT?

Would that be VAT69?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline AshleyH  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2014 12:37:29(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
The VAT sales tax threshold is GBP 15 on personal imports or GBP 36 if it is a gift from a friend or relative. 20% plus a handling fee of between GBP 4 and GBP 20 is then charged by the courier. BUT these thresholds INCLUDE the postage/shipping charge, making it effectively 0!

In additions, customs duty of around 2.5% may be charged, depending on the type of goods, but this is waived if it comes to less than GBP 9.

It used to be the case that many parcels got through without charges, but now it is much tighter and even small packets are stopped and charged for.

Basically in the UK unless your have no other choice it is not worth buying from outside the EU.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2014 08:49:17(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys, Im from Ireland and have gotten hosed with vat and import duty. When I first started to buy Marklin in 2013. I bought 3 locos from Queensland and they came in ok with no duty or vat .I got some more from same place and was shocked when postman asked for 80 Euro. i said the first lot came in no trouble and he said it all depends who is on duty at the time in customs.He then said anything from outside EU can be charged so I wont order anything from outside Europe.I did make an exception when i got my set of streamlined 03s from Reynaulds in USA. Even with duty and vat of 65 Euro it was cheaper by 140 Euro than anyone in Europe. The old duty is a right killer allright. Take care Eddie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
#8 Posted : 07 June 2014 11:59:11(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Thank you for posting, to summarise it, it is pretty bad. I knew Germans are very wary of buying from outside the EU but I thought the UK was less harsh with imports, obviously no.
Offline MalinAC  
#9 Posted : 11 June 2014 16:27:51(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys ,I found the customs slip for the 03s----in Ireland goods imported from outside the EU with a value over 22 Euro for Vat purposes, and 150 Euro for import duty purposes are subject to Customs charges.Import duty is calculated on the customs value of a consignment.The customs value is the cost of goods, plus postage, packaging and insurance. Vat is calculated on the customs value plus any import duty amount . . So my # 37912 set of streamlined 03s cost= Customs value 229.24 Euro = to Vat at 23% = 52.72 Euro plus Post office fee of 6.00 Euro to collect Vat. Grand total 58.72 Euro on top of purchace price. Lucky I got them at a very good price. I still have not worked out how they figured out everything . As far as I can tell I just paid Vat and no import duty.Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Eddie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
#10 Posted : 12 June 2014 03:04:51(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
As far as I can tell I just paid Vat and no import duty.Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Eddie

It might well be the case, not all categories are likely to attract import duties and there might be different percentages depending on the category. A scale model might not pay duty but a toy might, it depends on what the seller stated on the customs dec, some items might fit two categories and a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Offline GlennM  
#11 Posted : 12 June 2014 14:34:29(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
The VAT sales tax threshold is GBP 15 on personal imports or GBP 36 if it is a gift from a friend or relative. 20% plus a handling fee of between GBP 4 and GBP 20 is then charged by the courier. BUT these thresholds INCLUDE the postage/shipping charge, making it effectively 0!

In additions, customs duty of around 2.5% may be charged, depending on the type of goods, but this is waived if it comes to less than GBP 9.

It used to be the case that many parcels got through without charges, but now it is much tighter and even small packets are stopped and charged for.

Basically in the UK unless your have no other choice it is not worth buying from outside the EU.

I would note that it is still possible to get the odd package through without duty, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

To show you how stupid the Tax Authorities are in the UK, I purchased a none MRR item for a friend in the USA, I paid for it in a regular shop in UK which meant I already paid Tax on the item, and sent it to him. Four years later he gave the item to my son as a gift, and when it was sent back I had to pay 20% plus a handling fee to re-import the item. It so happened that I still had the paperwork relating to the original purchase, and sent off a letter to the Revenue and Excise Office, to which they replied, that the goods were being imported from outside the UK, and they had assessed the item as attracting Duty, full stop case closed.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#12 Posted : 13 June 2014 04:08:47(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Be glad you don't live here (Barbados) duty is charged on CIF - C is cost of item, I = Insurance and F is for freight. Then VAT. So cost, add freight and insurance for amount
and then VAT on the amount. Could come to 100%.

Big Boy 800.00 (for sake of argument).
Freight 100.00 ( ''''''''''''' )
Insurance 100.00 ( '''''''''''''' )
= 1,000.00

Duty 80% 1,000.00 = 800.00
VAT 17.5 on 800.00
= broke.

Which is why my trains are in the US to be brought in by hand.
(Obviously not all at once). j.

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.