Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2014 04:42:41(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
An elderly gentleman in a retirement home has asked me about locomotives used in 1939 on the Brenner pass.

As a child or teen, in 1939 he took a train from Italy, I think Rome, to Innsbruck over the Brenner. On the Austrian side he recalls the 12 coach train being pulled by two Austrian electric locomotives from the Brenner to Innsbruck. He also recalls a steam engine at the back of the train. His recall is that it was braking the train.

He has asked me what the electric locomotives would have been. I have no idea. At a guess I would say the Austrian locomotives might have been an Austrian versions of the German 44, but that is only a guess. I would think the train was going to continue to Munich.

Can anyone tell me what that might hav been?
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2014 10:12:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
In 1928 the "Brennerbahn" got an overhead wire. Italy and Austria used different systems. Thus, while the Italian FS electrified the south ramp up to the Brenner border station, the last stretch of the Austrian access to the Brenner station was only electrified in 1934. In 1938 Austria was annexed by Germany, meaning that also Deutsche Reichsbahn locos were used.

Web research revealed that on the Brenner-Innsbruck stretch only the following electric loco was used in the 1930s:

Austrian built BBÖ class 1170 = Deutsche Reichsbahn class E45.1/E45.2 after the annexion (ÖBB class 1145/1245 after WW2) - see pic.

Source: http://brennerbahn.npage...motiven/e-1145-1245.html

Edited by user 09 May 2014 23:04:09(UTC)  | Reason: Web link added

Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
1145.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek