Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TouchCab  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2013 21:37:00(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Hi all.

If you haven't yet heard, Big Boy 4014 is to be moved from Pomona to Cheyenne for restoration to working condition by UP's Heritage Fleet Operations team.

Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before. False rumours every time!

Don't take my word for it, but read the words of the current and future owners.
I for one am saving money for a pilgrimage to Cheyenne in a couple of years.

RailGiants site
Union Pacific site
Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline hvc  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2013 12:52:41(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
In case you haven't seen it, the mechanics working on 4014 have been posting regular videos about their progress:

https://www.youtube.com/...5haUFK5n7yqfs2vIoq_wGTVe

It's a massive job just to get her rolling, but made easier by years of love from the members of the Rail Giants museum in Pomona.

I visited 4014 a couple of years ago, and will also be saving pennies for the trip to Cheyenne in a few years!

Herman
- Herman
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by hvc
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2013 14:39:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the link with videos, Herman.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2013 01:44:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
Here is the latest official video from Union Pacific about the restoration of 4014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZZQgveAi20

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2013 13:55:15(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Did you notice the size of the axle and the nut that holds the center of the tender axle bearing? I like the plate that is bolted (wire tied bolt heads) to the axle and has an extending flange to stop the bearing nut from backing out.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline hvc  
#6 Posted : 04 December 2013 06:13:40(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: hvc Go to Quoted Post
In case you haven't seen it, the mechanics working on 4014 have been posting regular videos about their progress:

https://www.youtube.com/...5haUFK5n7yqfs2vIoq_wGTVe

Herman

There's another video added at the link above on Nov 17 - UP are now laying a small amount temporary track in front the loco, moving it a little, ripping up temporary track behind it, rinse and repeat...

I was wondering how they would get her across the fair grounds to the nearest railways line (which must be at least a kilometre away?) - so that answers that question!

Herman

- Herman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hvc
Offline hvc  
#7 Posted : 04 December 2013 06:15:51(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Did you notice the size of the axle and the nut that holds the center of the tender axle bearing? I like the plate that is bolted (wire tied bolt heads) to the axle and has an extending flange to stop the bearing nut from backing out.

The scale is amazing! And so is the whole pallet of 44 gallons drums of bearing grease!

Herman

- Herman
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2014 16:36:23(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The 4014 Big Boy is currently on its way from Ponoma California to UP's steam shop in Cheyenne Wyoming to be brought back to operating condition (and converted to oil buring).
As of Today April 30th morning, it is in Las Vegas.

The Train community is going nuts in the States with this move.

Trains Magazine is chasing the consist consisting of Diesel lok, Big Boy, Diesel lok, several UP worker accomodation cars and a bunch of flat cars loaded with panel track used to roll the Big Boy at the fairgrounds where it was taken from. They are doing live streaming when possible.

The UP web site steam page has a link traking the progress of the Big Boy. It has a GPS tracker on it.
www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam

Trains magazine is doing live streaming of the move and occationally allow non-members to view it too. Today it will be open to all.

Note that currently the region that they are travelling through has very little cell coverage and so there will be no streaming. As the consist goes further north, there will be better coverage.

They even hooked up air to it very sonorous whistle!

Edit: Today the steam crew is taking a break and the Big Boy will rest in Las Vegas today. There will be some live streaming of the Big Boy (stationary) and other trains today but I do not know when.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline witzlerh  
#9 Posted : 02 May 2014 15:06:08(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
May 2, 7 am MST. 4014 is in Milford UT were they rested for the night. They were 3.5 hours late getting in.Mellow They had already lost an hour at the start yesterday...all due to revenue generating traffic.

4014 is doing well.

The train is moving about 20-25 mph (32-40kph as I am used to) when it is going. There are also several planned stops to lubricate the lok.

Today they will go to Salt Lake City. There they will rest a day (while the lok is being shown off).

Sunday they will travel to Ogden UT and rest there another day. Ogden was the western terminus for the Big Boys in their working lives.

Live video streaming is only available when they are within good cell coverage. Most of yesterday was dark territory and most of today will be dark until the later afternoon. We may get live streaming when they are near interstate highways as they tend to have cellular coverage.
Harald
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2014 20:55:03(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
May 5th, 2014
UP 4014 Big Boy is in Ogden UT today and will leave tormorrow morning. (8ish I am guessing)

It will go through it's old stomping grounds and overnight in Rock Springs Wyo. and continue on to Laramie for the Wednesday night.

Thursday it will finally arrive at it's new home in Cheyenne.

Cheyenne is where the Union Pacific has their steam shop. That shop maintains the now 3 steam locomotives as well as their steam powered snow removal equipment.

There the 4014 will be stripped, cleaned, inspected and put together. It will be converted from coal burning to oil.

This move has generated great excitement in North America rail circles!
Harald
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline TouchCab  
#11 Posted : 05 May 2014 21:01:08(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Watching the live stream from the magazine's scouting trip in Big Boy territory right now.
A long freight pulled by a three diesel consist is passing veeeeery slowly uphill, clearly demonstrating why the Big Boys were needed Cool
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline Hackcell  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:05:45(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
I was thinking in re-create the moving train ordering two MTH AC locos and some Walthers/intermountain cars, but the box cars are not available. Also, it will imply to modify the BB, this because both engines on the BB have had their piston rods and packing glands removed.

I don't like the idea of disassembling the BB to make it look prototypical, however, having something similar to the real train, at least for a picture, would be nice :-)
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline witzlerh  
#13 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:18:04(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Interesting that you want to model the hospital train taking the Big Boy back. I thought that would be neat.Cool

Get this! The lead diesel is numbered 4014 and the trailing diesel is numbered 4884! Easy to track with the scanners with train #4014!Flapper

Remember that the hospital train is a mashup of the basic steam support train with the addition of baggage cars and flat cars carrying the panel track used to move the BB. UP steam website has a video describing the train.

Therefore, you can put together what is available for your train. It will be interesting to MU the 2 diesels and the BB in scale.

It is not worth removing the side rods as they are small. Better to put the effort in photoshop.

If you have a BB, put together your fastest, best mash-up and post a picture. We won't be critical because this train is unique anyway! If it was a few years earlier or later, it would be a different mash-up anyway! Go for it!

(mash-up = take whatever is available and needed to build something)
Harald
Offline Hackcell  
#14 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:25:18(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Interesting that you want to model the hospital train taking the Big Boy back. I thought that would be neat.Cool

Get this! The lead diesel is numbered 4014 and the trailing diesel is numbered 4884! Easy to track with the scanners with train #4014!Flapper

Remember that the hospital train is a mashup of the basic steam support train with the addition of baggage cars and flat cars carrying the panel track used to move the BB. UP steam website has a video describing the train.

Therefore, you can put together what is available for your train. It will be interesting to MU the 2 diesels and the BB in scale.

It is not worth removing the side rods as they are small. Better to put the effort in photoshop.

If you have a BB, put together your fastest, best mash-up and post a picture. We won't be critical because this train is unique anyway! If it was a few years earlier or later, it would be a different mash-up anyway! Go for it!

(mash-up = take whatever is available and needed to build something)

It will take some time since I have to get the two SD70 locos and the 6 flat cars first, but I will model it for sure!

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline TouchCab  
#15 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:40:29(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
It will take some time since I have to get the two SD70 locos and the 6 flat cars first, but I will model it for sure!

Always nice to have a project ThumpUp

Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Hackcell  
#16 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:50:34(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
As a side comment, it's curious how neither M or Brawa doesn't worry too much in producing recent american locomotives.... Thankfully, MTH started to produce AC versions of GPs and SD70 locos.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline witzlerh  
#17 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:56:09(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Danilo you have a point! There are very little visual differences between the large locomotives. Marklin could just make one with a bag of parts to swap if you wanted the other. Most europeans would not notice the difference.

I also have been looking more at MTH. I model modern european and I may want to have some NA trains too.
Harald
Offline Hackcell  
#18 Posted : 05 May 2014 23:19:36(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Danilo you have a point! There are very little visual differences between the large locomotives. Marklin could just make one with a bag of parts to swap if you wanted the other. Most europeans would not notice the difference.

I also have been looking more at MTH. I model modern european and I may want to have some NA trains too.

My trains are a mixup or DB Cargo and UP equipment. Since I got several intermodal cars, I'm in the process of designing my layout with R3 curves as minimum radius.

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline witzlerh  
#19 Posted : 05 May 2014 23:54:48(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Good call on min. R3 radius! I had to to do that as well.
Most modern NA passenger and freight long bed cars will have a 18"-20" min radius and the R3 is slightly larger. (20-1/4")
Especially with their damn body mounted couplers!
Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#20 Posted : 07 May 2014 12:53:00(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Evening of May 6.
UP 4014 is in Rock Springs, WY.
It arrived AHEAD of schedule.ThumpUp The steam crew reports that the lok is performing like a champ!ThumpUp I may be wrong but I think that they increased the speed!
It looks like there are at least a hundred people chasing the train.Drool On video, I saw convoys of up to 50 cars before it rounds a corner....so there could be more!
Scheduled stops have been short but very well attended!

Harald
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline steventrain  
#21 Posted : 07 May 2014 13:06:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline hvc  
#22 Posted : 07 May 2014 15:17:00(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Here's some nice video which shows the hospital train from all angles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLDbPvXgnwE

Herman
- Herman
Offline witzlerh  
#23 Posted : 08 May 2014 22:36:06(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
4014 has returned home to Cheyenne, Wyoming today and on time!BigGrin

It climbed over Sherman hill and battled through wet snow and high winds.

Now we wait 3-5 years for it to be rebuilt and modified to oil burining and have modern safety appliances installed. (brakes are improtant!)

I miss the sound of the horn already!

Great Job Union Pacific!ThumpUp
Harald
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by witzlerh