Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grahamemarshall  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2014 05:54:17(UTC)
grahamemarshall

New Zealand   
can anyone help me with the link to the best software to use, I have found 2 the 1st one is free and the other is very expensive.
I don't mind paying for it as long as it will work and its not too difficult to work out (I'm in the older age group, but I can get my head around the computer)
Thanks Grahame
Online xxup  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2014 07:05:48(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
My recommendation is to download the trial versions to see which one you can set up and manage the easiest. Before you do this, I recommend that you get at least one S88 unit and set up a couple of blocks. A shuttle with two trains and a siding is always a good starting place.

I use WindigiPet because, like you, I found it easiest to get my head around at the time. Despite the differences in terminology, they mostly work the same. The more money you pay - the greater the capability of the software. Aside from the initial cost of the software you should also ask about the cost and frequency of upgrades. One last thing - the more trains you want running simultaneously the more powerful the computer you need to have a smooth running layout. You also still need boosters and more transformers for larger layouts.

Please please start small with this technology - Use a test layout if at all possible because it will change the way you think about and run your model railway. There is nothing worse that setting it up only to realise that more or longer detection areas are required to improve performance.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2014 09:50:47(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Grahame,

I can highly recommend Traincontroller from Railroad & Co.

The bronze version is not that expensive. You can download the manual for free as well as the program (in demo mode) and have a play with it.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline MikeR  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2014 12:01:24(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Grahame

I use TrainController from Railroad & Co. and can also highly recommend it. There is an active forum on the site where any issues or problems you encounter can be discussed by other expert users and if necessary by the developer. The support from the developer, Juergen Freiwald, is top class. You can start with the Bronze version which has the basic functionality and if needed upgrade later to the versions with more functionality.

Regards

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2014 12:47:59(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Try Itrain. You can get a free Limited licence for 3 months to try it out.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline waorb  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2014 14:59:23(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

RocRail.

http://www.rocrail.net/

It's free, updated regulary, open source, very good wiki/documentation, active forum for discussions, binaries for Mac, Linux and Windows, even clients for Apple IOS (iPad/iPhone) and Android.

Worth to take a look.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline grahamemarshall  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2014 04:08:32(UTC)
grahamemarshall

New Zealand   
many thanks friends for all your suggestions
just one further question, I presume you have to have CS2 to talk to the computer??
Offline Yaasan  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2014 05:48:49(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi,

How about Desktop Station which I develop.

CS2 is not required but 60113 track box and Railuino components is required. Railuino components are inexpensive. Please try it.

Best regards,
yaasan

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yaasan
Offline waorb  
#9 Posted : 12 May 2014 18:36:40(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
I use the Central Station 2, but this is not a requirement. CS1, Arduino components or other solutions are also possible to use.

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb