Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline oranda  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2014 22:04:45(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
I'm new to Märklin and to modelling a digital system.

Last summer I purchased two digital starter sets with digital points and mobile controllers, and have it installed in a layout which I am currently landscaping.

I noticed on the Märklin website that there are some technical data sheets, all written in German, and despite having some knowledge of the language a lot of technical terminology escapes me, and using Google translator is patchy at best.

Does Märklin provide this information in English format or has anyone translated them for the average man in the street to understand. Can anyone suggest any starter books on setting up a Märklin digital setup.

As a subsidiary question should I invest in a Märklin digital or a Uhlenbrock controlled based system. There seems to be few Märklin dealers in the UK but there is a Uhlenbrock dealer locally.

The learning curve is steep but I'm prepared to put some time in reading up how everything fits together.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2014 22:24:42(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Welcome!
Those start sets should have had a booklet on the basic of simple layouts and to get you going quickly. If you have a german language only booklet, it is not hard as they tend to use as little of the language as possible like IKEA instruction manuals

That being said.

There are some downloads available from Marklin.de that are in english.

Go to maerklin.de then produkte, then tools and downloads. Scroll down to Aktuelle Downloads

The Central Station 2 is located
Anleitung_CS_60214_EN.pdf.

the Mobile Station 2 is locatied
Anleitung_MS_60653_DE_EN.pdf.

the Central Station 1 is
Anleitung_CS_en.pdf.

Perhaps some others will chime in with further information.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2014 23:15:17(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
As a subsidiary question should I invest in a Märklin digital or a Uhlenbrock controlled based system.
Uhlenbrock do not support mfx.

If you want to use "mfx+" then you'll have to get a CS2.
If you want to use "mfx", then either CS2 or MS2 or ESU ECoS will do.

Uhlenbrock Intellibox can control Märklin locos, but only using MM protocol (or maybe DCC), but not mfx.

I disabled mfx in my Central Station, but many others here are very happy with mfx or mfx+.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2014 22:14:40(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Renato
Offline oranda  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2014 21:12:56(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the help with the links.

I've got a lot to read and from the links and the Märklin book I recently ordered, I now know I have a lot to take in.

I've just finished laying out my track which is made up of two starter sets using mobile 2 controllers and 5 points operated digitally with individual decoders, as I purchased them one after the other as the layout grew, I now realise I could have operated them in batches of 4 with (is it?) two s/k88 or some such, (but not with mobile station 2?). I also have a decoupler which I hoped the same decoder could operate but can't get it to work with the 74460, unless there is some other way?

I'm hoping to get the Märklin Central Station 2 sometime, and later operate the layout using Rocrail on a Mac. Will I need to start with isolating track and add sensors to get it to work automatically, if so I doubt if the Märklin tracks with sensors will fit into my existing layout without butchering what I have now. Can reed switches be used instead?

Sorry if I've packed in to many what if's

Offline waorb  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2014 22:07:54(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post

I'm hoping to get the Märklin Central Station 2 sometime, and later operate the layout using Rocrail on a Mac. Will I need to start with isolating track and add sensors to get it to work automatically, if so I doubt if the Märklin tracks with sensors will fit into my existing layout without butchering what I have now. Can reed switches be used instead?

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Best and cheapest way to create the contact tracks you can learn/read here:

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postsm93187_DIY--homemade--Contact-Track.aspx#post93187

All connected to S88 decoders.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline oranda  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2014 22:16:17(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
That link to the link seems to be dead :-(