Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2014 17:14:05(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I am in Basel. I am staying near the Spalentor. In wandering today I found two stores near my hotel.

There are some nice locomotives that tempt me. After all I cannot come home empty handed. Some were Marklin, some really nice ones Hag.

My layout so old M track. It is rough in spots, and passengers complain of bumpy rides. My question simply put is: Would a Hag handle rough track as well as Marklin? So far I have never run anything but Marklin on my layout.

Any advice?
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2014 18:19:02(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Any (traditional) HAG model should run flawlessly on Marklin track (I have been doing so for the past 50 years Wink ).

Perhaps a word of caution if you have a delicate and rather recent model like the new generation Ae 4/7 (catalog number 138) or a GTW railcar set in mind, but anything like an Ae 6/6, Re 4/4 or Re 6/6 should work perfectly also on M track.

If you still have some free time on your hands and want to take a look at more shops in the area, here is my Swiss model train shop list:

http://www.stefanunholz.ch/page3/shops.html

Enjoy your visit!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2014 18:30:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Good hunting (Shopping)!

Make sure that you pick up some Basler Laeckerli and Kirschstengli while you are there too!

Regards

Mike C
Offline Dreadnought  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2014 21:02:38(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Thank you for the prompt replies.

Mike, do those come in HO?LOL

Unholz, I shall have to stay a month, just to do the Basel shops. I like the new RE 486(?), I may have the number wrong. The Hbf. Had lots of I them pulling inter city trains. I think, of the modern locomotives they are by far the nicest looking.

More reports to come.
Offline bmcrae  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2014 21:24:18(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the prompt replies.

Mike, do those come in HO?LOL

Unholz, I shall have to stay a month, just to do the Basel shops. I like the new RE 486(?), I may have the number wrong. The Hbf. Had lots of I them pulling inter city trains. I think, of the modern locomotives they are by far the nicest looking.

More reports to come.

Any chance you could list your favorite shops in Basel when your trip is over?? I will be in Germany/Switzerland for three weeks this fall with my wife and kids. As much as my wish would be to see ALL of them, I have to be realistic and say that any ground work you can save me will be warmly received!! ThumpUp

The list provided by Stefan Unholz at his website is masterclass. I'll have a copy while I'm there. Drool
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2014 00:56:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
When In Basel some years ago I had an enjoyable time at the Bercher & Sternlicht, Spalenberg 45 Shop. Extensive stock then. cost me over 5,000 SF to leave.

BUT also I got a good deal and discount

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline seatrains  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2014 07:23:09(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
I have a couple of vintage analog 70-80's HAG loks and they run great on M-track!ThumpUp
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Dreadnought  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2014 17:01:53(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I bought a locomotive, 37269, NS at Bercher & Sternlicht. Far from Nev's spree, but enough to give a good souvenir. It will go well with my 42653 coaches. In my little world it will also pull some TEN coaches. No HAG available and the salesman obviously felt HAG was overpriced for what it was. Not something I could venture an opinion about.

The other store was Beltrami at Spalenforstadt 22. It had very odd hours. It is not open on Thursdays, and I think Mondays. Otherwise it is open 10:00 to 12:00, and 16:30 to 18:00. It has yet different hours on Saturdays. It is run by an elderly man, who I would think is retired and does this as a hobby. He had a lot of older Marklin. A lot of tin plate on offer. He also had some older locomotives, but new. I got 3460, a series 460 locomotive, and some older coaches. I like the older Marklin, so I found it an excellent shop

Thanks to all for your help
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#9 Posted : 07 April 2014 01:14:25(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
I have the same 37269, nice loc. I'm pulling the Benelux coaches with it. same type as the ICR coaches, only a different colour.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 07 April 2014 05:34:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline chrisisrang  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2014 10:42:32(UTC)
chrisisrang

Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
I am in Basel. I am staying near the Spalentor. In wandering today I found two stores near my hotel.

There are some nice locomotives that tempt me. After all I cannot come home empty handed. Some were Marklin, some really nice ones Hag.

My layout so old M track. It is rough in spots, and passengers complain of bumpy rides. My question simply put is: Would a Hag handle rough track as well as Marklin? So far I have never run anything but Marklin on my layout.

Any advice?

HAGs are wonderful....beautifully crafted locomotives and with the new electronics in models such as Re 460s, they beat Marklin hands down for Swiss prototypes. I don't have experience running the new or the older generation HAGs on M track so I won't be able to help you much with that part of the question.

If you are open to taking a short train ride into Interlaken then there a couple of HAG dealers with excellent stock.....Eyro and Buhler.

Cheers,

Chris