Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ciccio  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2013 09:25:52(UTC)
ciccio

Italy   
Hi all,

after 30 years I'm back to my first love: train models... :) and I start to collect some new materials in order to build a new layout, so please forgive me if I'm a newbe!

I just bought a Märklin 39016 from eBay, sold as a new product.
Once it was at home, I start to test it with a short track, a MS2 v1.81 and ... I had an uncommon problem: driving at low speed (1/4 max speed or lower, 4 lines or lower on MS2 indicator) the loco often stop itself and lock, any command is from MS2 is ignored. This happens really often driving at that speed!
Pushing loco with a finger solve problem, it start to run again.... for a while. :(

Driving at high speed cause no kind of problems (6 lines or more in MS2 speed indicator).

This is annoying because i cannot drive it at "maneuver" speed (rotation platform, couple/uncouple convoy, etc).

The electric contact under tender seems to be clean, even with some sign of use.

There is something that I can do here in order to fix this problem ?
Please help me solving this issue ... any suggestions ?!?

PS. All other locos, in same track, drive with no problems, so I can think that is not a C track or MS2 problem.
Offline AshleyH  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2013 09:55:33(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum.

Initially it sounds like a lack of a capacitor problem, the first release of locos with Märklin's own brand MFX decoder suffer from the problem you describe, because there was no capacitor in the circuit to smooth out the running.

However, the 39016 was 2012 production year, by which time Märklin had added such a capacitor. Along with the 39017 MHI edition, these were the first two 39xxx 01s to not have Softdrive C Sine motors. Forum members reported excellent running characteristics.

So, the next step would be to unscrew the pickup shoe and clean it underneath and make sure the spring has enough tension and is making a good connection with the contact wire plate underneath. Sometimes oil can get in here and interfere with the electrical continuity.

The only other step I can suggest is to follow the lubrication instructions in the manual, as it may have dried out a little. Do not be concerned about the contact shoe looking a little worn, they often appear that way new from the factory.

If none of the above has any effect, then I would suggest returning the loco under warranty.

Best Regards
Ashley

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2013 10:25:51(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Ciccio,

Welcome to the forum.

Try also to clean the tracks and the wheels.

Check also the motor and brushes. All ok?

If it’s been in the box a long time, some loco requires a bit of running in, so if its look clean and ok oiled try and run it a high speed for a while.

You can also try and put the loco on a foam pad (with wheels able to run freely), run 2 leads from your track and apply current directly to pick up shoe and the wheels and see how it runs then at slow speed.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2013 12:14:16(UTC)
H0

Hi,
And welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: ciccio Go to Quoted Post
I had an uncommon problem: driving at low speed (1/4 max speed or lower, 4 lines or lower on MS2 indicator) the loco often stop itself and lock, any command is from MS2 is ignored. This happens really often driving at that speed!
Pushing loco with a finger solve problem, it start to run again.... for a while. :(
Do lights and sound stay on?
Could be a contact problem (lights and sound off), a mechanical problem (lights and sound still on, lights and sound still under control) or a decoder problem.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ciccio  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2013 16:27:42(UTC)
ciccio

Italy   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
And welcome to the forum.
I had an uncommon problem: driving at low speed (1/4 max speed or lower, 4 lines or lower on MS2 indicator) the loco often stop itself and lock, any command is from MS2 is ignored. This happens really often driving at that speed!
Do lights and sound stay on?
Could be a contact problem (lights and sound off), a mechanical problem (lights and sound still on, lights and sound still under control) or a decoder problem.

Hi again ... and thanks to all for answers!

No, when the loco stops the lights and sound turn OFF, any effect (sounds, light ...) are no more under control.
So seems to be an electric problem... :|

Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2013 16:54:49(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Ciccio,

I would remove the slider, look under it to see if there is any oil, etc. Also make sure it's centered. I would try cleaning the track again, especially the outter rails. I know this sounds like a broken record, but I find even with my layout things look clean...I rub my finger on the track and come back with a black speck. Does the lok only stop on turnouts, uncouplers, etc? Does it stop at the same place every time? Or just random?

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline ciccio  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2013 17:06:48(UTC)
ciccio

Italy   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Ciccio,

I would remove the slider, look under it to see if there is any oil, etc. Also make sure it's centered. I would try cleaning the track again, especially the outter rails. I know this sounds like a broken record, but I find even with my layout things look clean...I rub my finger on the track and come back with a black speck. Does the lok only stop on turnouts, uncouplers, etc? Does it stop at the same place every time? Or just random?

-Brandon

Done ... slider removed and cleaned, controlled for oil but no signs.
I checked also position. This evening I will made some new tests.

The loco stops randomly, more or less never into the same position.
I have checked it into a single long straight line (rev and fwd) and in a circle loop... same results.
All other locos have no problems doing same test.

Thanks to all for answers,

Offline Gustavo  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2014 20:27:18(UTC)
Gustavo

Chile   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Ciccio,

Probably teh problem is in the control ms2, i have the same problem with a 37810, try reprogram the unit whit a Cs2 directly
or try with a ms1

Gustavo

-Brandon

Done ... slider removed and cleaned, controlled for oil but no signs.
I checked also position. This evening I will made some new tests.

The loco stops randomly, more or less never into the same position.
I have checked it into a single long straight line (rev and fwd) and in a circle loop... same results.
All other locos have no problems doing same test.

Thanks to all for answers,

Offline Ukko-Pekka  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2014 21:19:40(UTC)
Ukko-Pekka

Finland   
Is loco hot when it stops?

-Harri
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2014 22:48:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have seen this before. This is either because the pukos or slider are dirty or because the rails are dirty and the ground is not connected.
If you have a set of 6-10 new or otherwise unused tracks to use as a test section, you can confirm whether this is the case.
Does it always happen in the same places? Try swapping or replacing the tracks where it stops (invert them 180 degrees).
Is the motor in the tender or in the boiler? Is the ground return from the tender or from the main wheels?

Regards

Mike C