Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TouchCab  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2013 01:32:33(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Hi all.

In between work, programming and keeping up with life in general, I do find time to play with trains.
As some of you know, I switched from H0 to gauge 1 some years ago, and like it was in H0, my dream is to model a so-called brown-coal train as they ran in Denmark in the 1950-60s.

Although other types of locomotives were also used, a typical brown-coal haul was made from a class N steamer, an old 2-axle passenger car for the conductor and a string of 2-axle open freight cars for the ore. The brown-coal (=lignite) was transported from open quarries in the middle of Jutland to power plants in the cities of Esbjerg and Aarhus.

The N class was 10 pcs. BR50ÜK that were bought in Belgium in the 1950s. The ÜK designated the engines as simpler machines than the BR50 - sort of an intermediate between the BR50 and the very stripped variant, the BR52. As it was discovered during the refit after the purchase, both the materials used and the build quality were inferior to the standard BR50.
When they entered service, the N class was by far the most powerful locomotive in the country, and they were well suited for the brown coal trains.

Now, in gauge 1 there is not much Danish rolling stock available, so I have to convert what I can find. I have the BR50 - you may have seen some of my videos on YouTube - which will be fairly easy to convert, but what about the freight cars?
The brown coal trains were typically 52 freight cars, but for modelling reasons, I have limited myself to 20, which will be a nice train that fills a siding on the club layout.

The German O10 types very much resembles the Danish PE and PER classes (R = with brakes), but the problem is that a car like that is easily 100 Euro on eBay, so I was looking at 2000 Euro - plus painting and possibly plus screw couplings. As it happens, the O10 mold was also used for a bright blue freight car in a starter set. It even has spring buffers, and when they do appear on eBay, they go for around 30 Euro. I am going to paint them anyway, so I don't care if they're checkered or striped.

Here is a picture of one of those blue cars before conversion
Blue O10

And here the same car after conversion to a Danish type PE - note the hand brake bar
Finished type PE

There is a little confusion about whether the PE were actually used for the brown coal trains, but many sources say that in the heydays, the trains were formed by anything that ran on rails. Either way, it's close enough for me.

After 1958, newer types appeared - this time the standard European steel box open freight car. In Germany they were known as Omm53 and Omm55, and in Denmark they were very briefly called type P, then type E.
These are aplenty on eBay, and I have six in all, setting the time of my train around 1959, where some of the new cars have begun entering service. Also, I like the variety of cars in the train.

This is a Belgian version of the Omm55, where I have begun the conversion
Omm55

And here is the same car after the conversion
Danish type E

For the conductor car, there is no suitable conversion model on the market, so I have ventured into my first ever scratch build. The brass frame is nearing completion, and the body will be made from laser-cut plastic and veneer.
Brass frame

Close-up of the suspension. The leaf springs are working !!!
Suspension

... for your inspiration Smile
Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2013 13:02:07(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jens,

Looks very impressive. Beautiful paint jobs as well.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kariosls37  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2013 01:03:40(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Great looking stuff TouchcabThumpUp

The underframe of the guard's van looks great. I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Cheers,
Rick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline TouchCab  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2013 03:30:23(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
The underframe of the guard's van looks great. I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

I'll keep you posted as I go along.
Not much happening here in the summertime, but I do expect to have the frame completed and ready for a test run in a proper train at a hobby show in November.

Brass as a building material has really surprised me.
I used to think it was much too difficult and for experts and all that, and in the smaller scales, maybe it is. But in gauge 1 and using a blowtorch, it's really a friendly material. Needs a lot of work, sure, but if I make an error, I simply take the thing apart and try again Cool
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2013 23:43:22(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: TouchCab Go to Quoted Post
The German O10 types very much resembles the Danish PE and PER classes (R = with brakes)

I have learned something since the last post ... that the PER class may have had brakes, but only for parking - no air brakes. Interestingly, my freight train will then be almost completely without any brakes, but okay - it's actually quite prototypical. It was not unusual for the brown-coal hauls to have a brake percentage that required the max speed to be limited to 30 km/h. The first and last car in the train had to have brakes, though.

Anyway, I've completed one one more freight car - this time a PER class which differs from the PE in that it had a platform for operating the parking brake, and it had brakes on all four wheels.

I picked up the donor car at the gauge 1 exhibition in Sinsheim this year. It originates from a set that Märklin once made comprising two freight cars and a thermos flask and two glasses. Or something like that. The cars were blue with ice painted on the sides, but again - I don't care, and I get them fairly cheap.

The donor car

And here is the result of the conversion. Nice, huh? Cool
The finished PER class freight car
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline kariosls37  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2013 00:38:02(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Nicely done.

Here in NZ before air brakes were common, I know that on some hilly sections goods trains would stop at the top of a steep downhill grade to allow the guard to set handbrakes on each wagon before heading downhill. They would be taken off at the bottom of the hill. Not that Denmark has many hills. idea

On a level section the stopping say, a 30 wagon train of 10 tonne capacity would be possible. With a train weight of around 400 tonnes + loco the braked weight would be around the 100 tonne mark depending on the loco. Not ideal but possible.

Cheers,
Rick
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline TouchCab  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2013 00:01:02(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Working a bit on the guard's van (thanks for the correct term, Rick)

I've installed the spring buffers and platform steps. These old passenger cars had open platforms in both ends. I'll post a better picture tomorrow when I can shoot it in the daylight.
Almost ready for a test run at the hobby show in two weeks.
Cool

Spring buffers and steps for boarding
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2013 01:50:07(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
I was just browsing my hard drive and came across a picture of the passenger car or guard's van that I am modeling. It's a CU class 'rystevogn', which translates to 'shaking car', which is pretty much equivalent to the German 'Donnerbuchsen' or thunderboxes.

Here the car is shown as it stands today at the local veteran railway.

CU class passenger car
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline TouchCab  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2013 14:36:50(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
As promised, here is a shot in the daylight.
The frame from the side

Here is a shot from above, where you can see the construction. I try to follow the original drawings as close as possible, mixed with what I can see on the prototype, which is fortunately available at the local veteran railway not far from home.
The frame from above

And finally a shot where you can see the spring arrangement for the buffers. At first I intended to use springs from used ball pens, but it was too fiddly, and I fully envisioned the complete assembly to come apart if I would try to solder new crossbars to the frame directly above the suspension anchors. So I ended up with a simple arrangement of steel wires guided by a small brass tube at the center of the frame. It works beautifully.
Spring buffers
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2013 19:38:00(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
I've made a quick mockup of the car body from cardboard, so people at the hobby show can see the shape of things to come.
Man, it is coming together now ...
Love

Mockup of the CU class guard's van
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Janne75  
#11 Posted : 19 October 2013 20:36:31(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Jens,

Wow, very impressive work. They all look awesome Love . It must feel great to have them ready.

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline TouchCab  
#12 Posted : 25 February 2014 00:01:37(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Progress with the freight train is slow, but I manage to get something done every once in a while.
I've been working on the brakes on the guard's van. The air brake system is a very intricate arrangement of bars and levers, but once you figure it out, it's actually quite simple ... amid the complexity, if you get my meaning.

I've finished the brakes around the first axle. At first I wanted to "borrow" the brake shoes from some of the O10 freight cars, but the CU cars had fairly large brake shoes, so they would not look right. I ended up constructing the brake shoes myself from 0.5mm brass and 1mm plastic card.

From below, showing the brake triangles:
From below

From the side, showing the brake shoes:
From the side
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline NZMarklinist  
#13 Posted : 25 February 2014 02:59:54(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Jens, well done !! ThumpUp

Rick is a HO scratch builder of some note on the forum, but gee you need to build even more detail with 1Guage !

A friend in Wellington who has switched up guages as well, has remarked about the extra detail in layout building too Scared (FYI; Dave & Pete =Tim)

I'm quite happy in HO, but troubled even about running my DB Long Henry consist. ( About 7.4m Scared )
The guys are making up Control Stations in brief cases, for the CS and transformers etc, for the Modular layout & I have requested a connecter socket, on the outside for the Router to use Touchcab Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 25 February 2014 04:59:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
(FYI; Dave & Pete =Tim)

Yes, well Tim is building a 1 Gauge layout which is some 23m x 10m, so I guess there will be a lot of detail work going into that. A 20 year project I believe.

Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 25 February 2014 07:37:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I like to know, if ever they may introduce air pressured brakes into 1 Gauge locos or carriages, with digital decoders it shouldn't be a big problem.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TouchCab  
#16 Posted : 25 February 2014 08:39:34(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
... but gee you need to build even more detail with 1Guage !

There is a lot of detail work involved, and if you plan on attending shows with your equipment, you're giving nitpickers a field day BigGrin
With good drawings to scale, it's fairly straight forward, though. IMHO the biggest problem is deciding where to end the detailing.

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I like to know, if ever they may introduce air pressured brakes into 1 Gauge locos or carriages, with digital decoders it shouldn't be a big problem.

You can problably do it. I have seen working brakes on a gauge 1 model on the web somewhere, but that guy was using a servo.
On my guard's van, the brake parts actually move, but with the brake frames around the axle, it doesn't really make sense anymore. For modeling reasons, the brake shoes are too far from the wheel rim for the brake to operate properly. It was fun to see how far I could take it, though. Cool

About the N-class steamer. Did I mention that I have ordered one more BR50?

No?

Well, I have ordered one more BR50.

You see, of the 10 operational N-class engines, I have a personal favourite - number 207. For no particular reason other than it's the only one I know for sure I've seen, even though it was partly scrapped at the time. The 10 engines differed in details - some had two steam domes, some had one. Some had four cab windows, some had two, etc. In all, there were five variants.

I have considered the road number for the BR50 I have now, once I convert it. It has two steam domes, allowing me to choose from road numbers 205, 206 and 209. I'd prefer 209, but a friend has already converted an old model for that number, and there is a fair chance they will end up on the same layout one day. Can't have two engines with the same road number side by side in gauge 1. No no no.
For a while I was seriously considering 205, but that would mean I needed to blind the rear windows in the cab, and I don't feel like doing that. Yet.
By elimination, the road number of my engine is then 206.

KM-1 has announced that they're re-issuing the BR50 in 2014. It was Model of the Year when it was released, so why not? This time they are making the variant with one steam dome, and I couldn't resist. Looking forward to one day seeing N206 and N207 double heading on the club layout. Cool
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 25 February 2014 09:34:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
KM-1 has announced that they're re-issuing the BR50 in 2014.

Yes, I thought they were but I couldn't see any reference to it on their website. However, a Google search for KM-1 Neuheiten 2014 finds the brochure for 2014.

http://www.km-1.de/KM1_Neuheiten_1_2014_web.pdf

No mention of the BR 50 in the brochure though.......Sad

I have the KM-1 BR 01 180 on order, looking forward to getting it later in the year!

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TouchCab  
#18 Posted : 25 February 2014 11:46:48(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
No mention of the BR 50 in the brochure though...

I think it's a 2013 news item, but it's in the delivery plan for 2014.
There is also a dedicated brochure accessible from the BR50 page.

I have the KM-1 BR 01 180 on order, looking forward to getting it later in the year!

Very understandable. It's a great engine. A few years ago 01 1100 (012 100) visited the Danish Railway museum, where it dwarfed the largest Danish steam locos. It didn't even fit on the turntable BigGrin

Incidently, if (or when) you have problems with the smoke unit, I have the cure, if you don't mind an evening of fiddling and a bit of soldering. It seems to be a common problem with the KM-1 smoke units on all models.

Edited by user 17 March 2014 00:39:18(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed the BR01 1100 engine number

Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline NZMarklinist  
#19 Posted : 25 February 2014 14:39:13(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
KM-1 has announced that they're re-issuing the BR50 in 2014.

Yes, I thought they were but I couldn't see any reference to it on their website. However, a Google search for KM-1 Neuheiten 2014 finds the brochure for 2014.

http://www.km-1.de/KM1_Neuheiten_1_2014_web.pdf

No mention of the BR 50 in the brochure though.......Sad

UserPostedImage

Big Money Daddy Wink

Tim & Douglas, & Peter L will be in awe Woot

I'd love to justify one, lets know if your ever bringing it to a Taupo Show David Smile

Edited by user 31 March 2014 06:11:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 25 February 2014 20:47:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Incidently, if (or when) you have problems with the smoke unit, I have the cure, if you don't mind an evening of fiddling and a bit of soldering. It seems to be a common problem with the KM-1 smoke units on all models.

Thanks for the offer Jens, I'll keep that in mind ThumpUp

Big Money Daddy

Tim & Douglas, & Peter M will be in awe

I'd love to justify one, lets know if your ever bringing it to a Taupo Show David

I think you mean Peter L.....(or maybe Peter C)

Tim has a Marklin BR 01, but I'm sure he will be interested to see the KM-1 version. Expected cost will be around 3K - maybe my only major purchase for this year.

We were at Taupo last year with the 1 Gauge layout. I'm not sure how often that show is held, but I'm sure we will be back!
Offline NZMarklinist  
#21 Posted : 26 February 2014 17:35:34(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Thanks for the offer Jens, I'll keep that in mind ThumpUp

Big Money Daddy

Tim & Douglas, & Peter L will be in awe

I'd love to justify one, lets know if your ever bringing it to a Taupo Show David

I think you mean Peter L.....(or maybe Peter C)

Tim has a Marklin BR 01, but I'm sure he will be interested to see the KM-1 version. Expected cost will be around 3K - maybe my only major purchase for this year.

We were at Taupo last year with the 1 Gauge layout. I'm not sure how often that show is held, but I'm sure we will be back!

see edit

The only time I got near the KM 1 Stand at the marklin days, the operators were having a rest Sad
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline TouchCab  
#22 Posted : 30 March 2014 17:33:17(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Three more PE and one PER type cars have been converted and are now ready for the paint shop.

I took some pictures here on this sunny spring Sunday, so you can see the unpainted brass details added to the cars.
With that, I think I have enough of these types of cars.
Approx. half the train is still waiting for conversion to Danish types, but they do look allright in German livery, so the freight car project will probably be put to rest for a while.

3xPE + 1xPER without paint

Green PE with brass details

End wall of the PER, showing the lock bar and the different yard crew step
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#23 Posted : 30 May 2014 01:38:06(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Six more freight cars are ready for service.
The PE/PER cars as described in the post above have been ready for some time, and they are now being joined by two more E type freight cars.
The three PE and one PER car:
UserPostedImage

The two new E cars with the first one behind them:
UserPostedImage

I can tell I am done rebuilding freight cars for a while. I made some minor mistakes on the last two, but I guess most people won't see them ...

Jens

Edited by user 17 April 2015 07:45:38(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed image links

Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline TouchCab  
#24 Posted : 16 April 2015 23:01:16(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
There's more progress on the guard's van.

The walls and floor have been laser cut in veneer, and now I'm going to assemble the car body. There's a national MR show coming up, and I'd like to present some progress and a nice looking car ... or what could look like it's going to be one.

Here are the side walls. They're 3 layers with the middle layer providing pockets for the windows, so they can be inserted from above after painting.

UserPostedImage

Inner and center layer glued and drying ...

UserPostedImage

Closeup of a window pocket ...

UserPostedImage

Outer layer glued and drying ...

UserPostedImage

Two finished side walls ...

UserPostedImage

Closeup ...

UserPostedImage

The floor is also 3 layers, but here the center layer is brass, so I can solder nuts to it for attaching the body to the frame.

UserPostedImage

Nuts are soldered in place ...

UserPostedImage

Triangular brackets are cut to cover the nuts ...

UserPostedImage

I drilled holes in the brackets, mounted screws and with the floor correctly aligned, I glued the brackets in place.
I did not have the courage to solder with a torch in those corners. Scared

UserPostedImage

When that was done, I could assemble the three layers of the floor.
The bottom layer has laser cut grooves to show the floor boards used on the prototype ...

UserPostedImage

And the top level has guides for the interior walls ...

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 17 April 2015 07:36:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#25 Posted : 21 April 2015 22:39:43(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Here's the car as it stands today and how it will present itself at the upcoming MR show this weekend.

UserPostedImage

Jens
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline El Capitan  
#26 Posted : 05 June 2016 20:56:23(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
After a quiet period working on other projects and everyday life interfering, I'm looking at the guard's van again.
The roof is mounted with wooden strips, which makes the car look so much better. There's still a long way to go, however.

UserPostedImage

On the prototype, the wooden car body is supported by an array of struts on each side of the frame. I could make those in brass, but the prospect of cutting or soldering 18 of them was not very attractive. I've been glancing at 3D print for a while, but never really got into it. Taking another look at the Shapeways web site, I suddenly found what I wanted to get started.

There's an online service called TinkerCad, which provides some fairly basic features, but offers a user experience and availability which is a pleasant surprise. One hour of dabbling, and I had created a model for the struts. Uploaded to Shapeways and ordered it. Whoopee.

UserPostedImage

Another pointer from Shapeways was to the CAD program FreeCAD, which - as the name suggests - is a free download, and it's available for Windows, Linux and Mac.
I have no idea why I haven't come across this program before when looking for CAD, but that was another pleasant surprise. It's fast and capable and it's reasonably easy to master if you know just a bit about 3D design. It's basically just spatial geometry, so it's not that hard. The program does a lot of advanced things and while there are bugs, they're few and far between, and the program is surprisingly fast. As already mentioned, the program is free, there's good support on the web and not least on YouTube.

I've been using FreeCAD for another design project, but this is currently on hold while waiting for drawings, so I've had a go at designing some of the parts I need to get on with the guard's van.
The roof overhangs over the end platforms are supported by some intricately made brackets, and there's four of them - one for each corner, of course.

UserPostedImage

The roof vents for the compartments are available from Northern Fine Scale, but the vent from the toilet is special, so I had to make that myself. I've eyeballed it as I don't have the drawings.

UserPostedImage

And finally the ceiling mounted inside parts of the vents with the operation handles where the passengers can open and close the vents.

UserPostedImage

That should get me a little further.
The parts are ordered, so now I'm waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

Jens
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#27 Posted : 05 June 2016 23:30:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Nice work Jens, now we know why you had no time for Touchcab - there's a lot of work gone into those models. 3D printing is certainly the way to go, my friend Douglas who has a large 1 Gauge modular layout based on the Swiss Canton of Uri and also Göschenen station just before the entrance to the old Gotthard tunnel, has a 3D printer and has just brought a 2nd hand laser cutter and has made many parts for Göschenen station as a result.

See https://www.marklin-user...you-running-today/page18 - posts #865 and #891 for pictures and a video.

.......lets know if your ever bringing it to a Taupo Show David

We will be at the Taupo show this year with Douglas' 1 Gauge layout over the weekend of 16/17 July.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#28 Posted : 06 June 2016 00:55:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: El Capitan Go to Quoted Post
After a quiet period working on other projects and everyday life interfering, I'm looking at the guard's van again.
The roof is mounted with wooden strips, ........
Jens

Hi Jens,

Beautiful work.
I have been admiring this project for some time. I am sure I have come across similar projects on the web too, maybe they were yours.

I have been doing a 1903 period British model in OO scale, and the only way I could figure doing the roof correctly was using wood strips, and I see you have done the same.
Thanks for that.
I was wondering, is that the finished roof, or does it have another covering?

The method does create a small problem, in that I am not able to access the interior for adding figures or for routine maintenance on lighting.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline El Capitan  
#29 Posted : 06 June 2016 12:12:19(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
Nice work Jens, now we know why you had no time for Touchcab.

Busted !! Laugh

Great show and very nice buildings. I always liked public operating sessions.

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering, is that the finished roof, or does it have another covering?

The method does create a small problem, in that I am not able to access the interior for adding figures or for routine maintenance on lighting.

The roof will get a top layer of fine-grained sand paper to model tar-paper or roofing felt. I don't know the right translation, but it's sort of a tar-treated material that comes in rolls and is used for outer or inner roofing on houses too. See post #8 above.

The roof is detachable. It's a trick I learned from Arild Tangerud from Proinor. The spanning arcs of the roof fit into the wall slots that you can see in the picture above, and that's enough to hold the roof in place without glue. I'm not sure that method would work in the smaller scales though.Unsure

Jens
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#30 Posted : 06 June 2016 22:41:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

The roof will get a top layer of fine-grained sand paper to model tar-paper or roofing felt. I don't know the right translation, but it's sort of a tar-treated material that comes in rolls and is used for outer or inner roofing on houses too. See post #8 above.

The roof is detachable. It's a trick I learned from Arild Tangerud from Proinor. The spanning arcs of the roof fit into the wall slots that you can see in the picture above, and that's enough to hold the roof in place without glue. I'm not sure that method would work in the smaller scales though.Unsure

Jens

Hi Jens,
Yes we could buy tar-paper in Australia until 5 years ago when it was declared a fire hazard.
Over-regulated as usual.
But I see it can still be purchased in Denmark. Very heavy material.

Thanks for the roof fitting clues.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 07 June 2016 00:02:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't know the right translation, but it's sort of a tar-treated material that comes in rolls and is used for outer or inner roofing on houses too.

Would that be Butynol? It is often used to cover flat outside areas such as small roofs or decks.

UserPostedImage

There is also Malthoid, which is often used as a water barrier underneath timber framing, and then there's plain building paper which has been impregnated with bitumen and is used as a vapour barrier under roofs and between timber frames and outside cladding.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline xxup  
#32 Posted : 07 June 2016 00:27:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I remember some spray on stuff called bitumastic.. Used it under my car in the late '70s for noise insulation and prevent stone damage that used to lead to rust.. Worked well, but I don't think that it is available any more... Possibly for the reasons that Kimball mentioned earlier.. Crying
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline El Capitan  
#33 Posted : 07 June 2016 00:31:29(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
It's something like that, yes.
Here it's called Icopal, and today it's polyester fibre with bitumen and rubber layers. Or a compound.
They used that in strips along the cars and not across the roof like the picture of the prototype above.

I'm going to cut very fine grained sand paper into suitable strips to simulate that and then finish with the vents.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#34 Posted : 07 June 2016 18:08:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I don't know the right translation, but it's sort of a tar-treated material that comes in rolls and is used for outer or inner roofing on houses too.

Would that be Butynol? It is often used to cover flat outside areas such as small roofs or decks.

Butynol is the 'modern' version of the tar paper that used to be used for flat roofs. It was more like the felt that is still used in the UK for flat roofing.

When I was small a roof that used tar paper was always looked down on as you need to periodically replace it as it perishes in the sun and the summer/winter temperature cycling pulls and tears it. I have the same problem with the felt roof on arts of my house in the UK.
Offline El Capitan  
#35 Posted : 11 June 2016 17:09:47(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
By sheer chance I came across a local shop that does laser cutting of acrylics at reasonable prices.
You can upload your own designs just like on Shapeways, so I made a drawing and uploaded, and now the windows for the guard's van are on the way, laser cut in 1mm clear acrylic.

The small red circles will be laser etchings that are supposed to illustrate the window handles. They should really have been small brass handles, but I haven't figured out how to mount so tiny things both inside and out, and the etchings will suffice for now.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by El Capitan