Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2014 14:46:44(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
According to todays German newspaper der Badische Zeitung, a defect Model railroad transformer possibly causes a fire. Crying

UserPostedImage

TRANSLATION:

Model railroad transformer possibly cause of fire.

A fire in a a roof structure in Betzenhausen caused a loss of € 80.000,=
The fire was reported at 14:40 yesterday, around 15:00 the fire was extinguished.
No one was injured.
The man who had discovered the fire, was examined for smoke inhalation, but had no serious injuries.
According to the police a defect in the transformer of a model railway may be the cause of the fire.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2014 20:53:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
It is indeed a scare of mine!
My train room has smoke detectors and two fire extinguishers...
Don't ever leave your layout under power if you're not in the train room!
Call me paranoid...but my boss used to say "Only the paranoid survive..."BigGrin
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2014 21:01:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Always unplug or isolate the transformers and power supplies from the mains when you leave the room.

My pet hate is people leaving phone chargers permanently plugged into the mains. Although they have been making them much safer over the years there is always the risk that they can go wrong when there is no-one around.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2014 21:39:19(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
A home/flat/apartment should have fire extinguishers,in the kitchen(the usual place for a fire) a fireplace and a one near an oil finance,if that is what you have.Keeping a few around the layout and shop wouldn't hurt either.
Your layout transformers should be plugged into a protected power strip and that is how you make sure everything is powered off.It's called a switch.

D

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2014 21:51:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Always unplug or isolate the transformers and power supplies from the mains when you leave the room.

I always unplug my layout from the mains supply whenever it is not in use.

A friend in our Marklin Club who had a large H0 layout (900 sq ft) had a lightening strike on his house, which cooked his 6021 / 6051 controllers / boosters and rendered the layout inoperable until they were replaced / repaired.

The same person is now building a large G1 layout (22m x 10m) in a purpose built basement, and that room has surge protectors installed on the mains outlets.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2014 23:22:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
In one of the Märklin magazines, (years ago) there was this collector who had a Gauge 1 layout and his son was never allowed to go in the room by hmiself (220 Volts locos), any after his father died he commissioned someone to rewire the whole layout so he and his children can be save but you wouldn't believe it, the whole layout caught fire and was completely destroyed.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2014 23:42:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

My pet hate is people leaving phone chargers permanently plugged into the mains. Although they have been making them much safer over the years there is always the risk that they can go wrong when there is no-one around.

Agreed, and not only is there the risk of failure, but you have all these millions of chargers, plugged in, consuming a small amount of power each, doing nothing other than generating heat, and we seem happy to pay for it.

I'm guilty of it as well, but we do have most of the phone/ipod chargers on one strip so when they are not in use they can be all turned off and you can easily see the consumption drop in the power meter.

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2014 23:44:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Just try and get a teenager to switch off her Iphone, IPad, Laptop and hairdyer. Scared
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kweekalot  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2014 09:30:32(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
It is a pity that the newspaper did not mention what kind of transformer caught fire.

On some mmr forums, you see a lot of hobbyists that still use the pre-war black transformers, mounted directly on the (woorden) layout.

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 16 March 2014 09:37:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
These old transformers should really be consigned to the display cabinet. The insulating materials from that era were notorious for falling apart with time. No-one in his right mind should use one of these except in the most carefully monitored conditions, and even then with a master off switch very easily to hand and a fire extinguisher ready!

Old trains will run just as well with a modern transformer to provide the power. Safety first!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline intruder  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2014 22:37:43(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
A small warning
in our washing room, we have a rechargeable vacuum cleaner in a holder on the wall. It is charged by a small 12volt power supply, more or less permanently connected in the 230 Volt wall outlet. One day, passing it on the way to my train room, I detected a burnt smell. I noticed that the power supply's white housing suddenly was light brown. It was too warm to handle, so I used some kind of tool (cannot remember what) to pull it out of the wall outlet. I cut the wire and threw it all away (after cooling down)
Before connecting anything to the wall outlet, I will install a switch.

All my MMR power is connected via a central switch.

We have three smoke detectors connected via our alarm system.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by intruder
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2014 23:26:06(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thanks to all from warnings. I just went to train room and unplugged my rechargeable vacuum cleaner and iPad chargers... But also my layout power, CS2 with transformer, separate transformer for layout lights and accessories + one transformer for my Märklin My World series signals are all connected to a central switch before wall socket. My stereos below my layout are also connected through a different switch to other wall socket, but that switch is in very difficult place and I don't turn it off. Maybe I should, but I have never heard of an stereo amplifier or cd player to cause a fire... Unsure Mellow

Janne

Edited by user 17 March 2014 12:49:20(UTC)  | Reason: typo newer => never

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2014 02:25:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
.....I have newer heard of an stereo amplifier or cd player to cause a fire... Unsure Mellow

I have heard of instances where an amplifier caught fire, but this is a very very rare occurrence. Many high quality amplifiers are made to be on all the time, as the continual thermal stress of powering on and powering off can cause output transistors to blow - especially if the amplifier has a high inrush current when turned on.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline DigitalNZ  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2014 23:16:38(UTC)
DigitalNZ

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Many high quality amplifiers are made to be on all the time, as the continual thermal stress of powering on and powering off can cause output transistors to blow - especially if the amplifier has a high inrush current when turned on.

I remember we used to leave our amplifiers the school hall on for a whole term at a time! We only ever turned the off in the holidays, if we actually remembered to! BigGrin

Someone used an isolating transformer to try and reduce the impact of a ground loop with the projector one day and it worked. A few months later we borrowed one from the woodwork room, we had some All Blacks visiting for the rugby world cup and we wanted to try and stop the flickering picture. It tripped almost every circuit breaker in the hall and we were expecting 1200 people to arrive in 5 minutes. It was the first time the amplifiers had been off in a about two months! I was glad to get it all going again.

Carrying the transformer back to the other side of the school on the other hand was another matter. This was the small one, it only weighed 25kgs!

Moral of the story... Get everything (well, almost everything) that connects to the mains tested every few years. Especially if it was made in the last century!

I did have a vacuum cleaner catch fire..

Daniell
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DigitalNZ
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2014 08:06:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
According to today's German newspaper der Badische Zeitung, a defect Model railroad transformer possibly causes a fire.
No further news about this fire yet, so we don't know what caused the fire.

Might well be that they write "transformer" but actually refer to "power supply".

I remember a case where a fire was caused by a defective laptop power supply. Owner let the supply plugged in all the time.
Insurance company didn't pay because they said the device was not made for perpetual operation.

In general it's a good idea to disconnect all consumers that are not needed and that don't have a primary switch (some computers have a primary switch at the back, some don't even have one).

And maybe one day we'll get further information about the cause of the fire at Betzenhausen.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline DaleSchultz  
#16 Posted : 26 March 2014 16:16:04(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I recently ran a wire across the basement to a single LED at the stairs - if the layout is powered up the LED is on, this way I can see it is on if I go upstairs.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline EvanG  
#17 Posted : 24 May 2014 07:40:28(UTC)
EvanG

Australia   
Hi everyone,

The report about a laptop power supply blowing is correct because I have had two people blow them while using their laptops continually, so this is a nice warning to people
with laptops don't use your laptop power supply continually it is meant to charge the battery ONLY BigGrin

Also I had a computer fried by a power short and our plasma TV has also shorted too in recent timesCrying