Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline puffin9303  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2014 07:01:16(UTC)
puffin9303

Norway   
Hello fellow train people, togførere, järnväg connoiseurs...
-and turntable operators...

I am in the midst of assembling a Walthers 90' Turntable with the factory 933-1050 Motorizing Kit (powered by a 12V power unit).

After somewhat of a struggle (and without any dentist's mirrors or micro cameras), I finally was able to mate the motorizing unit to the turntable's gears.

I found this process to be unneccesarily intricate. A view hole on the turntable mounting cover certainly would have helped. When I take it apart again, I might just cut a hole in the cover, so I can see inside to mate the gears.

-All that aside, I have two issues; I found the motorizing unit to be very noisy (and therefore unrealistic), and the gears are jumping. Does anyone have experience with the kit, any comments, fixes, or maybe any offbrand motor/gear substitutions?

Skål!

ulf
Offline Lollo  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2014 08:40:11(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi,

I have this turntable. One of the main problems is that the turntable pit may not be exactly round. You may need to sand paper the area's where the bridge catches. This is usually what causes it to bind, and also the plastic rollers that run on the rail may not actually be making proper contact, so you have wobble on the bridge as well.

I bought mine as a kit bash project, and modified it for 3 rail/C track, as I did not want to spend big dollars on a new Marklin turntable, and I find the older metal Marklin turntables really noisy.
I don't use the electrical contacts that come with it. I just have the wires running up the centre of the spindle to the tracks.
I drilled a hole in one of the brass collars, and put a screw in it, as to hold the gear firmly in place, as the gear slips out of place, and that also leads to the gear drive jumping.

The noise is reduced when better mechanical meshing of the gears is improved.
I am thinking of putting in proper bearings, and re-motorizing with a home made belt drive, just don't have time at the moment.
Other wise I am happy with it for now, even though it has no indexer, I get it to stop where I need it too most of the time with out too much trouble.
I don't know how much better the digital version is, but it is pre-assembled and has an digital indexer, and hopefully a better drive motor assy.
I get enjoyment out of trying something different, and getting it to work. As a technician, I have that challenge every day at work.

Good luck with the improvements.

Cheers,
Brian.

Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline puffin9303  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2014 19:58:54(UTC)
puffin9303

Norway   
Hello, Brian!

Thank you for the input. Rebuilding with a belt is a great idea that I will explore. I think I will research alternative motor options as well, for a quieter run.

ulf
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2014 20:22:37(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Quiet is fine,vorblid/prototype TT's were not.