Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2013 17:32:33(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I take the liberty to start a new thread for facts and official announcements about Märklin Start Up.

About four weeks ago, they gave some hints to the press (see this old thread):
https://www.marklin-user...tt-14-11.aspx#post429578

What we know so far:
  • New product line Start Up, aiming at children from 5 to 14 years, coming with the trade fair new items in the middle of January
  • Märklin Kids Club will be renamed to Märklin Start Up Club
    • Club magazine now coming 6 times per year (great improvement over the old monthly club magazine - just kidding, new magazine will have more pages, time will tell if the new magazine will be better)
    • First issue of the new club magazine will come in February
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2013 07:36:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am guessing that Start Up will replace My World at least as far as the battery powered models are concerned.
I think it might be interesting to see some kind of rechargeable battery for the train with a charging station that the parents could use

We will have to wait a few weeks to see this new program

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2013 08:22:33(UTC)
H0

This thread is (or was) intended for facts - not wishes, guesses, speculation, ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2013 10:24:37(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I am guessing that Start Up will replace My World ...(...)...
Regards

Mike C

Certainly not !
Start up will fill the gap between 5 / 6 years old customers & 12/14 years old customers...
And still the same C track : which is the flash of Genius they had about their product line...

Edited by user 18 December 2013 15:04:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2013 10:52:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Tom, it's difficult to stop speculation when there is no real news....

Do you think the likes of the TRAXX locos and Br89, 81, 74 etc will be rebranded as "Marklin Start-up"?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2013 11:56:35(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Yeah,let us not try to speculate but mention facts only.
One thing please: "Start-up" has been called a working title for the new product range,the final name could be different,right?

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2013 14:30:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
One thing please: "Start-up" has been called a working title for the new product range,the final name could be different,right?
They officially announced the new club name "Start Up Club".
They present the brochures in four weeks, so they should be beyond the working title phase now.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2013 15:13:47(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
They officially announced the new club name "Start Up Club".
They present the brochures in four weeks, so they should be beyond the working title phase now.

Where was that announced please?
Have not found it on the Maerklin webpages.
The original message about Start-up called it a workingtitle.
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2013 21:25:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My guess is that "Start Up" will incorporate the battery powered elements from the "My World" product line. The basic models and the former "Hobby" series will probably continue to exist as "My World" or as "Hobby".

I don't quite get the idea of an age group 5-14. It may have something to do with European regulations for toys.
I see the target market of 5-10 year olds for a toy train, somehow to compete with other products like Thomas or Brio
For the slightly older, I could see a switch to DC powered trains, possibly with an external rechargeable battery box as well as some kind of integration with computers

In any case, we will all find out more details in about a month.

Regards

MC
Offline jeehring  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2013 22:30:30(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
My guess is that "Start Up" will incorporate the battery powered elements from the "My World" product line. The basic models and the former "Hobby" series will probably continue to exist as "My World" or as "Hobby".

I don't quite get the idea of an age group 5-14. It may have something to do with European regulations for toys.
I see the target market of 5-10 year olds for a toy train, somehow to compete with other products like Thomas or Brio
For the slightly older, I could see a switch to DC powered trains, possibly with an external rechargeable battery box as well as some kind of integration with computers

In any case, we will all find out more details in about a month.

Regards

MC

Well.....nobody will ask how old they are if you buy trains....
However....There is one thing I'm sure about : they are planning something specific to fill the gap between " Marklin My World" and Train model for people above 15...

Instead of "fill the gap" we could say "create some link".....may be....if you want.....
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 14 January 2014 15:22:50(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
The 2014 new items brochure contains 6 pages with Start Up items.
The pages are marked with yellow banners top and bottom.
No real surprises,a Diesel shunter with some freightcars,an ICE train,nothing shocking sofar.
It would seem some items have been transferred from the My World assortment to the Start Up assortment.
The new French starterset with electric loco does not seem to be part of Start Up.
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2014 21:05:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I was expecting more "Start Up" models in these new items, but it's possible they haven't had time to roll out new models for that range yet.

Let's wait and see what happens during the course of the year.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 25 January 2014 21:08:26(UTC)
H0

Have not found it on the Maerklin webpages.
The address maerklin.de/startup is already working (leading to a rather empty page - not even an "under construction" sign at this time).

They were talking about a new product line, but so far I see "start up" only as a new name for the part of the old "my world" line that aims at persons from 6 through 99. The name "my world" is now used for items aiming at children from 3 through 6 only.
The 2014 "start up" catalogue will inherit a lot items from the 2013 "my world" catalogue.

Another change: beer reefers are no longer listed in the "start up" area and have been moved to the "profi" area.
I found it odd to see beer reefers in the my world catalogue in earlier years.

Somewhere I read there would be Noris games in co-operation with Märklin. No signs of those yet.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 26 January 2014 01:28:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I berated Marklin when the MyWorld brand hit the scenes for using a single brand to include 2 distinct product ranges. In articles I wrote, I needed to distinguish the two and adopted the terms MyWorld(Toy) and MyWorld(Hobby). So if noting else I would be happy to see the StartUp brand supplant the MyWorld(Hobby) designation.

While judgments should not be made until the actual announce, I am a little concerned that the link Tom provided branches off to the Insider registration page WITHOUT, or instead of ,referring to the FunClub. I just hope that the announcement will include perspective about whether the new brand is NEW or a REBRAND and where it sits in the whole scheme of things. i.e. when would I choose by one v the other.
Peter