Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2013 16:56:58(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I have been looking at pictures of the Hamburg Dammtor station. What I see is a station with four rail lines through it, but no sidings. How would they have made a loko change at such a station? Was this done at a prior or follow up stop? I can understand that freight was shunted one direction to a freight yard and passenger trains were sent another direction to the Dammtor station, but I do not see how they kept passenger operations working.

http://www.bahnhofsbilde...mt-ansichtsk-02-halb.jpg
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2013 18:02:15(UTC)
H0

The station once had a siding for the Emperor's train.
Nowadays it doesn't even have turnouts. No trains start there, no trains end there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Hamburg_Dammtor_station
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Western Pacific  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2013 23:04:57(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Although mentioned i the Wikipedia article, the location of the big long-distance railway stations in Hamburg means that many trains both from southern Germany and from Berlin end at Hamburg-Altona rather than at Hamburg Hauptbahnhof.

From 1987 to 1992 there was also an EC train from Hamburg-Altona via Hamburg Hbf and Lübeck to Stockholm and Oslo and I believe it ran a couple of more years as ordinary night train. Being in December it could be pointed out that the name given to the train was Alfred Nobel, who made the donations that formed the base for the Nobel Prizes, which are handed out to the laureates on the date of his death, December 10th. The laureates in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine and Literature get their awards at a ceremony in Stockholm and the Nobel Peace prize laureate get the award at a ceremony in Oslo.

Hamburg Dammtor is located on the line between these stations. On the Google map Hamburg Hbf is just to the right of the text "Hamburg" with the green S-Bahn logo and the blue train sign. The line leaving Hamburg Hbf passes Hamburg Dammtor (marked with an "A") after a bit over 1 km and then continues and makes a turn south to end at Hamburg-Altona (towards the left of the map).

One reason for why the Dammtor station is still a long-distance train station is probably the fact that the CCH, Congress Center Hamburg, is located just outside the station. Link to Google map.

Edited by user 16 December 2013 08:47:40(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline NZMarklinist  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2014 06:14:14(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
I too have been studying, and filing, pictures of Hamburg Dammtor Station, mostly from Google earth.

A few years ago, I bought the Trix HO kits for Hamburg Dammtor with the intention to buld it on one of our club style "super" modules., which are 1220mm long but as the model is 1500mm, It will need to be spread over four in length, to include the approaches, but there will be three pieces if you get the idea Confused ?
I was horrified in 2012, to find they were replacing the old steel bridges, at the eastern end, with concrete ones. One of my goals for last years "Treff trip" (Marklin Days) was to photograph the details of the station and bridges, particularly how the facade had aged. the light creamy yellow colour of the kit is miles from the proytotype in colour. and to see how those old brdges were configured and what models I could find or kit bash were part of the plan, I have a few of the Noch, laser card, plastic and hard foam ones, which are close. So without the prototype I am a bit lost there now, however some modelling license will now be used to good effect I hope Scared

The Hamburg rail system is a bit unique, with three main stations in the City all on the same line. When there in 2005, one day after a MiWuLa visit, and stroll around Hamburg, I used the ICE I, to get from Hamburg HBF to Hamburg Altona where I was staying, under 10 min trip with a pause at Dammtor,. There is a Best Western Hotel over looking Altona, and all it's platforms, where I stayed in 2005, sadly this year it was booked out for my stay. I can recommend it as a good hotel with excellent railfanning possibilities but make sure your room is on the station side and preferably on the top floor, (but the lift only goes to the floor below)
This year I travelled from Altona by S Bahn, spent about 45 mins there, taking photographs, before my ICE III to Berlin arrived from from Altona. It was a good idea toi join the ICE before Hamburg HBF as there the train, or at least the Bord Restaraunt Car, filled up, but I allready had a place Smile

Hamburg Dammtor station does indeed only have four tracks, two mainline and two S Bahn. I intend to represent the S Bahn lines just, without Catenery ( Cause the S Bahn is powered from a ground level third rail, not unlike a well known modelleisenbahn system, we all know and most of us love Wink )

I will add some pics to this post when I get a moment RollEyes
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2014 13:34:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi,

Some trivia in this context:

At the Hamburg-Altona station you might have noticed a long green space stretching southwards, ending in front of a representative white building sitting almost atop the bluffs of the mighty Elbe stream. This building, now serving as town hall for the district of Altona, used to be the first station building for the formerly Danish Altona-Kiel railroad. Lateron the station area was moved to its current location due to operational circumstances. Adjacent to the town hall, on the other side of the main street, the "Altona Balcony" park offers a breathtaking panorama of the port of Hamburg, the city´s gateway to the world. This brings us to another railfanning topic: The - now abandoned - Altona Harbour Tunnel originating next to the the modern station (almost under the Best Western Hotel), the so called "Schellfischtunnel", which was used for hauling fresh fish with refrigerator cars. The southern tunnel mouth is under the "Altona Balcony".

Everything in walking distance in a safe neighborhood. I am full of these stories, but I stick to the rail-related aspects...

The elevated four-track Hamburg-Altona link line leads via the stations Hamburg-Holstenstrasse, Hamburg-Sternschanze, Hamburg-Dammtor to Hamburg Central (the latter being "entrenched" under the street level). All of them initially boasted impressive arched roofs, with Hamburg-Dammtor having the most beautiful one. Like Hamburg-Dammtor, the arched roofs of both, Hamburg-Holstenstrasse and Hamburg-Sternschanze, covered all four tracks, whilst only long distance passenger trains stop(ped) at Hamburg-Dammtor. There used to be a freight terminal at Hamburg-Sternschanze, which was abandoned after auto-train loading facilities closed down in the mid-nineties.

BTW: One might recognise some names in my layout descriptions "Humbug-Dummtor" and "Slumburg-Alltoofar".

Greetz - Ak
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek