Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shamrock  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2013 18:50:15(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
I am reviving my father's trains from when he was a child that we set up when I was a kid. I would now like to use them with my children. Unfortunately, my father is no longer with us so I cannot ask him questions or have him help me locate some of the trains around the house. The trains were kept in my parents house and I have not found all the boxes yet. Everything was fully operational 25 years ago but some boxes and items may have been lost to Hurricane Andrew in '92.

I have a Marklin HO Scale 3035 Italian "FS" Express Electric and Small Kroc E6302, which I really like, as well as several other tinplate express cars and other 1950s Marklin train cars as well as the 3 rail track. The track is similar to the square metal beds I have seen except mine are a brown hard plastic of some type that I have not found images of online.

I also have a good amount of Rivarossi and Lima trains from Italy from this era but I am most interested in getting the Marklin up to speed first.

I have not located the transformer yet and may not have the piece of track to connect to the transformer. My question is: If I purchase the old blue transformer with the red dial and subsequent metal track will that work with the track I already have?

Thank you in advance for any help related to my question or any tips you may provide in getting started!
CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2013 19:12:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I am concerned about your comment that the track is a hard plastic. That does not sound like a Maerklin 3 rail track from the 1950s.

Does it have a centre rail or contacts? Perhaps posting a picture of the track will allow forum members to identify it for you.

Cheers
Peter
Offline shamrock  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2013 19:21:42(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Peter, thank you for your quick response and you indeed helped solve this. In looking close at the beds in the light I found the markings, RIVAROSSI Made in Italy. A quick google search did not show me any 3 rail rivarossi tracks. I do have the transformer for this track but the lettering on it is completely in Italian so I am not sure about plugging it in.

I do not have any rivarossi or lima trains that are 3 rail so could the Marklin have been used on this track at one time?
CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
Offline Yumgui  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2013 19:52:03(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Hi shamrock,

Your Märklin locos could be HAMO, or in other words 2 rail locos ...

Easy to check, do they have a slider down the middle of the underside, or not ?

One step at a time ... ^^ ;)

Yum Wink
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2013 19:55:57(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Shamrock,

It sounds like an interesting adventure, I am sure it will be solved. If possible, providing photos of the track, transformer or other items in question will help identification immensely.

If you buy a new transformer I would recommend a newer one. Since you are in the US, Marklin 6627 on ebay, or Marklin 6646 can be purchased brand new in addition to the ebay route.

Edit: horse before the carriage, Yum has a very good point. Don't buy a tranfo until this is sorted.

-Brandon
Offline shamrock  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2013 20:03:34(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
Hi shamrock,

Your Märklin locos could be HAMO, or in other words 2 rail locos ...

Easy to check, do they have a slider down the middle of the underside, or not ?

One step at a time ... ^^ ;)

Yum Wink

The E6302 small green Kroc has the slider in the middle and the Made in Germany lettering. The brown Italian loco has the pick up buttons not a slider. I am wondering if that one is a rivarossi instead?
Offline shamrock  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2013 20:06:21(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Shamrock,

It sounds like an interesting adventure, I am sure it will be solved. If possible, providing photos of the track, transformer or other items in question will help identification immensely.

If you buy a new transformer I would recommend a newer one. Since you are in the US, Marklin 6627 on ebay, or Marklin 6646 can be purchased brand new in addition to the ebay route.

Edit: horse before the carriage, Yum has a very good point. Don't buy a tranfo until this is sorted.

-Brandon

Brandon,

Yes, I am excited but frustrated that I may be missing pieces that I know we had. I will get moving on the photos. Thank you for the parts numbers and, yes, I am trying to temper my desire to get rolling by doing this in proper order!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline kweekalot  
#8 Posted : 11 December 2013 20:20:48(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Shamrock,

Welcome to the forum !!

Brown hard plastic of some type ??
Mmm, does your track looks like the (pre war bakelite) Trix Express track on the picture ??
Manufactured until approximately 1956 (Rivarossi made some Trix tracks).

Marco

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline shamrock  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2013 20:37:12(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Marco,

Thank you for that picture but there are some differences. It very well could be bakelite and judging by the collection and what I know it was purchased in Europe in the mid to late 40s or early 50s. I just took some pics so I will try to show you.
Offline shamrock  
#10 Posted : 11 December 2013 20:41:13(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
To attach a picture the site asks for a URL? Is there anyway to just browse my photos and select or must I upload the pics to a web host?
shamrock attached the following image(s):
Tim's ZTE 007.jpg
Tim's ZTE 008.jpg
Tim's ZTE 010.jpg
Tim's ZTE 018.jpg
Tim's ZTE 029.jpg
Tim's ZTE 030.jpg
Tim's ZTE 011.jpg
Tim's ZTE 012.jpg
Tim's ZTE 015.jpg
Tim's ZTE 017.jpg
Tim's ZTE 013.jpg
Tim's ZTE 014.jpg
Tim's ZTE 021.jpg
Tim's ZTE 024.jpg
Tim's ZTE 025.jpg
Tim's ZTE 026.jpg
Tim's ZTE 027.jpg
Tim's ZTE 028.jpg
Tim's ZTE 032.jpg
Offline Sparrow  
#11 Posted : 11 December 2013 22:10:52(UTC)
Sparrow

Spain   
I really don't know anything about that track or trafo, but this is definetly AC, so it should work with your Märklin loco.
I did not know Rivarossi had made AC trafos, but in Spain both Payá and Electrotren made them back in the fifties and sixties so it's not strange that an italian brand made them likewise.
Best regards.
Luis.
Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2013 00:48:30(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

The brown rails come from RIVAROSSI. Also the blue passenger-loco and the brown locomotive.

More informations: http://www.rivarossi-mem...o_1948/Catalogo_1948.htm

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline shamrock  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2013 03:35:33(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: Sparrow Go to Quoted Post
I really don't know anything about that track or trafo, but this is definetly AC, so it should work with your Märklin loco.
I did not know Rivarossi had made AC trafos, but in Spain both Payá and Electrotren made them back in the fifties and sixties so it's not strange that an italian brand made them likewise.

Good to read, thank you. I will try to locate the Marklin transformer as I do recall using it at one time as well a Lima and gold Tyco for the 2 rail.
Offline shamrock  
#14 Posted : 12 December 2013 03:40:23(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The brown rails come from RIVAROSSI. Also the blue passenger-loco and the brown locomotive.

Regards

Markus

Awesome! Is there a way to find the exact year my locomotive was produced?
Offline Mark5  
#15 Posted : 12 December 2013 05:21:50(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
So, gentlemen, are we saying the little silver "buttons" on the underside in the middle are the pick-ups for the third rail rather than the slider?
Keep in mind, this would never work with modern Marklin "stud" or "pukos" in the middle.
Looks like a very interesting assortment of trains. I am very curious how this will work out for you, since I have a fondness for Italian trains.

Best of luck,
Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline PMPeter  
#16 Posted : 12 December 2013 05:35:41(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
The transformer you show in the picture is rated for North American use. The primary indicates 125 V which is fine for the standard US 115-120 V service.

I don't speak Italian but from the terminal arrangement on the back it looks like you have a variable AC output of 6-18VAC (Can't tell if that is a 10 or 18 in the picture) on the bottom two terminals (Linea Ferroviaria is the train track) and 20 VAC for INV which I assume stands for Reversing.

Not sure what the upper left 2 terminals are for but it appears to be a steady 15 VAC most likely for a lighting or accessory circuit.

Safety First: If the power cord is not frayed and showing any bare wires it is probably safe to plug it in. If any bare wires are showing don't plug it in because you could get a nasty 120 VAC shock. What I normally do when I want to test out an old transformer and haven't been able to look inside is I plug it into an extension cord and place it well away from me and away from anything combustible, and then plug the extension cord into an outlet. That way if the transformer is faulty it will not blow up in your face or hands and will trip the breaker or blow the fuse in your house for that circuit.

If nothing shorts out or trips a circuit, take a voltmeter and measure the AC voltage output on the bottom 2 terminals as you move the lever from left to right and make sure it corresponds to the 6-18 V from the nameplate. I can't tell if the INV is a button on the top or a light. So depending on what it is check for the 20 V output after momentarily activating it. Similarly measure the upper left 2 terminals' output and make sure it reads 15 VAC on your meter.

If all of that checks out, you are good to go. If you get 0 V output check the fuse on the top.

If you are at all concerned about it, have an electrician check it out for you at your local electrical supply shop. Consider your own safety first before saving a few dollars on an old transformer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Markus Schild  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2013 09:35:12(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
The transformer you show in the picture is rated for North American use. The primary indicates 125 V which is fine for the standard US 115-120 V service.

Hi,

Such "exotic" voltages were widespread in Europe until the 1950 and especially in Italy until the 1970s. For example Märklin offered 100V, 110V, 125V, 150V and 220V for Germany. In other countries also more exotic combinations were used. I remember that somewhere in a book about HORNBY a transformer for 75V / 100 Hz is described.
I also would not try to use the old transformer.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#18 Posted : 12 December 2013 10:09:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
So, gentlemen, are we saying the little silver "buttons" on the underside in the middle are the pick-ups for the third rail rather than the slider?
Keep in mind, this would never work with modern Marklin "stud" or "pukos" in the middle.
Looks like a very interesting assortment of trains. I am very curious how this will work out for you, since I have a fondness for Italian trains.

Best of luck,
Mark

Hi Mark,

There can be two placements of buttons, those shown in the centre would be for the middle rail - solid rail of course but some may have an offset button which is actually for track detection - many of Märklin's HAMO Loco's also have the same button and the idea (as I understand it) is that a special track piece is used and the passing of the 'button' bridges these two rails to activate accessories.

The track is otherwise normal 2-rail but someone with detailed experience is sure to add to this.

Here's a photo of the underside of my 8322 Hamo Cl 194 (waiting to be converted to 3-rail) showing the button. I also had one in my 8359 Le Capitole but that button has been removed (just a c-clip holds it in place) when I converted that.

I also agree it's an interesting assortment and a bit of a conundrum for our new friend. I would suggest that two separate layouts may be easier, one entirely Märklin 3-rail, and the other for 2-rail.

Of course our mission really should be to convert Shamrock to solely Märklin but that early Rivarossi has a charm about it also and the memories make the whole collection a 'keeper'.

It would not be the first time I've seen a layout combining 3-rail and 2-rail together and running quite happily side-by-side (but never connecting). With clever use of tunnels and elevations it is quite possible to give the illusion that the two separate circuits are indeed one. Best of both worlds many would say.

Regards

Cookee
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
8322-underside.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline shamrock  
#19 Posted : 12 December 2013 14:57:39(UTC)
shamrock

United States   

Best of luck,
Mark

Mark, I will take better pictures this weekend of the trains I have in hand and will take another look in the storage unit of the house and attic for the other trains that I located in 2006 or 2007 on holiday. I was living in NYC at the time so did not bring them back but the ones I looked at certainly survived the Hurricane damage.

More Marklin but double or triple that amount in Rivarossi and Lima italian and swiss versions of trains. All made in Italy during the same time span.

And, yes, I am curious as to how it will work out also. I would like to build a 4x6 or 4x8 layout and get it running for the holidays and then unpack and expand as time allows in the next few months. My son who is 2 is crazy for trains and my 5 year old daughter is interested too.

I may need to place the old trains in a wall display though, until he gets older, because he likes to handle all of them right now!
Offline shamrock  
#20 Posted : 12 December 2013 15:04:26(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

I don't speak Italian but from the terminal arrangement on the back it looks like you have a variable AC output of 6-18VAC (Can't tell if that is a 10 or 18 in the picture) on the bottom two terminals (Linea Ferroviaria is the train track) and 20 VAC for INV which I assume stands for Reversing.

Not sure what the upper left 2 terminals are for but it appears to be a steady 15 VAC most likely for a lighting or accessory circuit.

Safety First: If the power cord is not frayed and showing any bare wires it is probably safe to plug it in. If any bare wires are showing don't plug it in because you could get a nasty 120 VAC shock. What I normally do when I want to test out an old transformer and haven't been able to look inside is I plug it into an extension cord and place it well away from me and away from anything combustible, and then plug the extension cord into an outlet. That way if the transformer is faulty it will not blow up in your face or hands and will trip the breaker or blow the fuse in your house for that circuit.

If nothing shorts out or trips a circuit, take a voltmeter and measure the AC voltage output on the bottom 2 terminals as you move the lever from left to right and make sure it corresponds to the 6-18 V from the nameplate. I can't tell if the INV is a button on the top or a light. So depending on what it is check for the 20 V output after momentarily activating it. Similarly measure the upper left 2 terminals' output and make sure it reads 15 VAC on your meter.

If all of that checks out, you are good to go. If you get 0 V output check the fuse on the top.

If you are at all concerned about it, have an electrician check it out for you at your local electrical supply shop. Consider your own safety first before saving a few dollars on an old transformer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Peter

Peter, great info that I needed. I will pursue looking further at it now that I know there is a chance it could be utilized here. My father traveled every summer in his youth with my grandmother and aunt to stay with her side of the family in Como, Italy. This may explain him keeping the transformer in the US if it was bought with the intention of him using it back at home as well.

As I said, though, in seeing pictures online I know I have used the Marklin and Lima transformer controls but not the rivarossi but it would be nice to have this little beauty trackside at least once.
Offline shamrock  
#21 Posted : 12 December 2013 15:08:08(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Best of luck,
Mark

Hi Mark,

There can be two placements of buttons, those shown in the centre would be for the middle rail - solid rail of course but some may have an offset button which is actually for track detection - many of Märklin's HAMO Loco's also have the same button and the idea (as I understand it) is that a special track piece is used and the passing of the 'button' bridges these two rails to activate accessories.

The track is otherwise normal 2-rail but someone with detailed experience is sure to add to this.

Here's a photo of the underside of my 8322 Hamo Cl 194 (waiting to be converted to 3-rail) showing the button. I also had one in my 8359 Le Capitole but that button has been removed (just a c-clip holds it in place) when I converted that.

I also agree it's an interesting assortment and a bit of a conundrum for our new friend. I would suggest that two separate layouts may be easier, one entirely Märklin 3-rail, and the other for 2-rail.

Of course our mission really should be to convert Shamrock to solely Märklin but that early Rivarossi has a charm about it also and the memories make the whole collection a 'keeper'.

It would not be the first time I've seen a layout combining 3-rail and 2-rail together and running quite happily side-by-side (but never connecting). With clever use of tunnels and elevations it is quite possible to give the illusion that the two separate circuits are indeed one. Best of both worlds many would say.

Regards

Cookee

Cookee,

I was thinking the same thing might occur. I may try to have the 2 rail running seperately inside of a 3 rail layout. It may work for me in the short term even though it may not be what is usually done.

Yes, the collection is a keeper based on memories and the family history of each train but I do plan to add anything missing as I am hooked again!
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 12 December 2013 18:45:28(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: shamrock Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Regards

Markus

Awesome! Is there a way to find the exact year my locomotive was produced?

Adding from what Markus has suggested, there is also a site regularly mentioned here where you can download a wealth of Marklin material, old catalogues and reference books

http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/index.htm

Now although the site itself is in Spanish, a large number of the scanned publications are in English and very well-worth a visit. If you use Google Chrome it will offer you an automatic live translation of the site which makes navigation a little easier but it's a simple design and easy to follow.

Also, I have scans of the Rivarossi catalogues 1955, 56 & 57 in English which may be helpful to you, send me a PM if you are interested and I can email to you.

Regards

Steve

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline shamrock  
#23 Posted : 12 December 2013 21:55:01(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Excellent, Steve, thank you. PM sent.

I will certainly spend some time reviewing what I find.

Regards,

Tim

Offline shamrock  
#24 Posted : 16 January 2014 04:00:22(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Hello, this is an update since my first thread and original post of just over a month ago. In that time I have been greatly helped by this forum and individual members and had a chance over the holidays to further explore my collection, add to it and make some progress in setting up a working layout to enjoy with my children.

I have since created some other threads and posted some pictures but just in case someone reads this thread again I wanted to say thank you and give a quick re-cap of my first month.

I did, in fact, build a 4x8 layout and purchased an old (2006) but new-in-the-box Marklin starter kit to get a fresh start with C track and open the possibilities for utilizing the new digital/mfx options. I also decided to hold the Rivarossi and other Italian trains on the side and focus solely on Marklin. Just something about Marklin!

As it stands right now I am augmenting my 4x8 layout to 4x10.5 to make room for some nice additions. I've accumulated about 100 feet of C track and a few Faller/Vollmer pieces over the last month as well as some new-to-me Marklin trains. Today, the newest centerpiece of my budding vintage and new collection arrived: The 39560 Ce 6/8 KROKODIL (CROCODILE)

Yes, a real beauty!

So, I am in the process of building my new layout while keeping my eye out for additions. I am happy to have the ability to run 4 locomotives with my current trafo but the next big step after the layout is complete is an MS2 controller, decoders for digitally controlled turnouts and an MFX Lok with smoke and sounds options. The kids are already having a ball and I look forward to each new step along the way.

Cheers,

Tim
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by shamrock
Offline foumaro  
#25 Posted : 16 January 2014 04:17:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Congrau\tulations you are on the right way.The loco is perfect,enjoy her.Love LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Janne75  
#26 Posted : 16 January 2014 07:42:24(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Tim,

I´m happy to hear that you are building your layout. You bought a really nice 39560 SBB Crocodile with C-Sinus motor Love . I have had that model and will buy it again as I really miss that one... It´s great to watch children´s faces when they enjoy model trains Wink .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline BrandonVA  
#27 Posted : 16 January 2014 16:13:42(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Tim,

Super pictures...you really have me wanting a Croc :) Looking forward to the progress in your Marklin adventures.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline shamrock  
#28 Posted : 17 January 2014 05:08:04(UTC)
shamrock

United States   

Not enough time for proper photos but here is the Croc negotiating a reverse curve tonight.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by user 17 January 2014 15:57:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline shamrock  
#29 Posted : 17 January 2014 05:10:02(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
Congrau\tulations you are on the right way.The loco is perfect,enjoy her.Love LOL

Thank you! The layout has already been altered to act as a test track just to watch her run through it.
Offline shamrock  
#30 Posted : 17 January 2014 05:14:16(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Tim,

I´m happy to hear that you are building your layout. You bought a really nice 39560 SBB Crocodile with C-Sinus motor Love . I have had that model and will buy it again as I really miss that one... It´s great to watch children´s faces when they enjoy model trains Wink .

Cheers,
Janne

Thank you, Janne. I am really happy with it. The fine details, hefty size and its ability around the layout has been more than expected.

For some reason the kids are especially drawn to it. They like the name as well so I am happy the first one for us was in green.

Cheers,

Tim
Offline shamrock  
#31 Posted : 17 January 2014 05:19:58(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Tim,

Super pictures...you really have me wanting a Croc :) Looking forward to the progress in your Marklin adventures.

-Brandon

I appreciate your word kind words, Brandon. Yes, you have many nice locomotives yet there is something unique about the Croc and always room for one more!

-Tim