Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grdnsal  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2013 22:01:56(UTC)
grdnsal

United States   
Ok I am really new to marklin….my adult neighbor had marklin when I was a kid and I was amazed buy his layout. Now that I am pushing retirement and not working as many hours I want a marklin layout too. So I bought an actual marklin z-gauge layout with track online (ebay), the blue transformer and a Marklin 8800 mini-club Locomotive Engine 89-006. But I think I may have messed it up already…the wheels won’t turn.
I could have wired it wrong. I don’t have any kind of directions or wiring digram.javascript:insertsmiley('Confused%20','/forum/Images/Emoticons/msp_confused.gif')
My layout has 2 brown wires and two red wires…I put the brown wires into one connector and the two reds into the other connector on the transformer but the engine didn’t move just got warm…I put a 9v battery on the wheels and no movement. It also has 2 blue wires and one yellow wire…I think are for the switches…but I am not sure.
So before I buy another engine and burn it up can anyone tell me how to wire it and tell me what I need to do to get everything working? javascript:insertsmiley('Cursing%20','/forum/Images/Emoticons/msp_cursing.gif')
Thanks!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2013 22:09:05(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

Märklin mini-club needs a DC controller. I don't think Märklin ever made blue ones.

I suspect your blue transformer is for H0 gauge (16 V AC). Mini-club locos won't run with that one (they will get warm or hot and may even get damaged).

What does the small print on your transformer say? Is there a ref. number? What specs are given for PRI and SEK?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline grdnsal  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2013 22:50:59(UTC)
grdnsal

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

Märklin mini-club needs a DC controller. I don't think Märklin ever made blue ones.

I suspect your blue transformer is for H0 gauge (16 V AC). Mini-club locos won't run with that one (they will get warm or hot and may even get damaged).

What does the small print on your transformer say? Is there a ref. number? What specs are given for PRI and SEK?

Thank you for the welcome and the quick response!

It does look like the HO one except it has Marklin Mini-Club printed on the dial face
The only other information is the following:
Toy Transformer
No 6727A10VA
Total output
pr.120V 60Hz
0-L12V
max.0,5AAC
0-B4-10V
max.0,4A DC

On the Bottom is printed Marklin, maded in West Germany 000384
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2013 23:22:14(UTC)
H0

Good news: correct transformer.

So maybe the loco is just suffering from hardened oil.

I give my locos a long swim in isopropanol to get rid of hardened oil (others use other chemicals). So far I only did this with H0 gauge locos, but should also work with Z gauge.

Maybe the Z gauge experts can give you more tips.

Loco getting warm may be a good sign: motor not burnt through.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2013 23:30:09(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hello and welcome to this forum.

Your transformer is definitely for Z scale. The problem sounds as if it's with the loco - possibly the mechanism is gummed up with solidified oil. What you should try first is to take the top off the loco (there will be a little screw head in one of the steam domes) and spray the mechanism with a CO2 electronics cleaner. When it has dried you will need to oil it. If this doesn't work there might be other issues that someone with more knowledge and expertise than I possess can help you with.

The blue and yellow contacts on your power pack are for accessories - turnouts, signals etc. They output 16V AC, and should NOT be connected to the track. The brown/black and the red contacts are for track power and output 10V DC. They should NOT be connected to accessories.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman