Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Allways_maerklin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2013 23:08:07(UTC)
Allways_maerklin

Germany   
May I introduce myself: I did start with Märklin in 1960
Later on about 30 years ago I made e restart and since about 20 years I’m using digital components and software from Märklin and other producers.

Today I’ve been on the” intermodellbau 2013” fair (once-a-year) in Dortmund (Germany). On the Märklin place I did hear that Märklin will introduce the new CS 3 end of 2013 – but that is strictly confidential… and the guys from Märklin were horrified that this information is outside now.

That the CS 3 will come isn’t a rumor – that’s a fact!

Good news for us as users – bad news for Märklin and the market position and price regarding the CS 2…

Regards Allways_maerklin
Offline GSRR  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2013 23:55:53(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Hello Allways_maerklin.

Welcome to the forum.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2013 00:39:35(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
lets see.......................
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2013 02:26:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi,

welcome to the forum.
Can we hear about the other digital components you are using and we may get a few photos of your layout.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline jeehring  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2013 02:26:17(UTC)
jeehring

so.....caricatural .
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2013 06:08:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Allways_maerklin Go to Quoted Post

Groan! Cursing Cursing Crying

We need another CSx like we need another hole in our heads! ThumbDown

Good news for us as users.......

You're kidding me, right Confused Confused

BTW, welcome to the forum.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2013 07:46:50(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Good news for us as users – bad news for Märklin and the market position and price regarding the CS 2…
Bad news for Märklin as many will now hesitate to buy a CS2.
But good news for the users? Not really IMHO.

Maybe there's a CS3 coming and maybe it shares the codebase with the CS2 - that would be good news as the software development for both CS2 and CS3 would go on in the future. That would be good.
Maybe there's a CS3 coming with a new codebase - improvements for CS2 would stop soon and CS3 would come incomplete with many teething problems.
Maybe there's no CS3 coming this year - and the rumour only irritates people.

Earliest rumours about CS3 came back in 2008. Time will tell ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2013 08:47:08(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I for one think this is good (if the rumor turns out to be true). I have been wanting to get a cs1/2 for a while but if a new one is coming within a year I might as well hold off. Afterall,
it is a big investment.

For me though, the ideal product (I believe I read on the forum that roco has one) would be a connector box for the track and power and a bundled software for Mac/PC/iOS. The iPad would make a good controller and if the
accompanying software would be good, one could customize locations for buttons, functions, pages and so on. Just my prospect..
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2013 21:50:34(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
There is talking about on CS3 in magazine last year.

I can't find MFX plus locos in Summer new items, Could be CS3 coming end of this year.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline supermoee  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2013 22:12:27(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Newcomer ,

I cannot see any facts in your post. Only rumors.

Strange, a strictly confidential information is discussed by Märklin employees during a public exibition?

Sorry, this does not sounds very logical to me Blink

I can tell you in the same way, that a CS4 will come after a CS3. Same information quality.
Rgds

Stephan
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by supermoee
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 14 April 2013 01:22:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Rumors aside, I would be more worried if Maerklin were NOT planing their next control unit iteration.

As with any Car, PC or smartphone - expect it to be superceeded in short order - that doesn't mean the older option is irrelavent.
In fact I think Maerklin have done an admirable job todate ensuring legacy support of more than 1 generation of device. (MM1-MM2-mFX ...)

Given the 2yr cycle of this century the absence of a pre-announcement at Nurnberg2013 (for Dec2013/2014) could mean a production slippage and a desire for better ROI. It could also mean they want to keep their powder dry and do a big bang announce in October with delivery for Christmas (like they did with the 60213 in 2008)

!Glib dates - but a pattern is decernable
2004NI/05 60212 announce
2006 60212 (with s88 and booster delivered)
2008Aut/09 60213
2009Sum/10 60214 mainly Marketing hype for DCC
2011NI/12 60215 theoretical 5Amp
2013NI?/14 ?expected 60216? announce for 2013Q4/2014

The question is not IF there will be new iteration announced shortly but will it be an evolution or revolution

Read what you will into ...
- Marklin db has 60215 not currently available - also reflected at dealers as "temporarily not available from producer"
- Summer2013 items include a CS2 megaset (runout ????)
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline jlopez  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2013 02:52:22(UTC)
jlopez

United States   
Great! I just bought my first CS, last month! Oh well, same thing happened when I bought an Ipod 3, the next gen came out the next week. Cursing
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 14 April 2013 09:24:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
As with any Car, PC or smartphone - expect it to be superceeded in short order
Well, PCs and Laptops are becoming cheaper while becoming more powerful - or becoming much cheaper while maintaining their speed.

CS2 so far kept the specs (except for an increased output power), but prices (RRP) rose a lot. So PC "laws" do not apply to CS2.

Memory size and CPU speed grow according to "Moore's Law" - and a new Windows version also requires new, more powerful hardware.

While PC components in general are becoming cheaper, legacy items will become more expensive. So sooner or later components needed for the CS2 will go out of mass production. So maybe the new, rumoured CS3 will only have a different display (1024x??? or even more) and some other updated components with better availability.
What else could be new: maybe a faster GPU for the mfx+ cab control mode (or input for a video camera?), hardware that supports RailCom, a built-in 60883?

On one hand, M* used starter sets to get rid of outdated hardware in the past (including the 60212). OTOH there have been premium starter sets with a CS2 for several years now - this could be a clearance sale, this could be just another CS2 starter set.
An era IV starter set for a difference. Rather looks like a Lollo clearance sale.

Shortly after I bought my Intellibox, the new Intellibox IR and the CS1 were announced. Sigh.
I don't need the IR part and it took years for the CS1 to become available (and more years for it to become useful), so in the long run I did not regret getting the IB (which I still use to test and program locos).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#14 Posted : 14 April 2013 09:49:46(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jlopez Go to Quoted Post
Great! I just bought my first CS, last month! Oh well, same thing happened when I bought an Ipod 3, the next gen came out the next week. Cursing

Join the club! On the other hand - early adopters of new products frequently have problems, while those who wait for the bugs to be sorted usually end up with a reliable product.. Applies to cars, phones, operating systems (especially) and any electronic thingy..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 14 April 2013 10:05:00(UTC)
Goofy

Later on about 30 years ago I made e restart and since about 20 years I’m using digital components and software from Märklin and other producers.

Today I’ve been on the” intermodellbau 2013” fair (once-a-year) in Dortmund (Germany). On the Märklin place I did hear that Märklin will introduce the new CS 3 end of 2013 – but that is strictly confidential… and the guys from Märklin were horrified that this information is outside now.

Regards Allways_maerklin

Hello and welcome to the worlds best forum! ThumpUp
Well...i´m not suprised about another more new CS.
It´s business and the free market.
The most important is that CS must been in function so customer can use it and drive locomotivs on the layout.
Maybe this time there is only drive knobs and touch screen display.
Touch buttons is gone this time perhaps...?
So we needs bigger screen for the cab control...???

BigGrin

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mbarreto  
#16 Posted : 14 April 2013 21:02:45(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello all,

Added to all new features and more powerful hardware the new CS will has, I have 3 small wishes for it:

1- I would like the current CS2s to be compatible with it (like it is possible with 2 CS2s today);
2- I would like it to have the color and physical format of the Ecos, but not the Ecos motorised knobs;
3- Better knobs. Maybe ones using light and mirrors would be interesting (but not sure).

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline supermoee  
#17 Posted : 15 April 2013 15:05:39(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: jlopez Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

a new model does not make your CS2 work worser. At least you got it cheaper.

curious that our german threadopener registered in an english - speaking forum exclusively to post a rumor and disappeared again. Why did he not post the same rumors in a german speaking forum?

rgds

Stephan
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 15 April 2013 15:25:06(UTC)
H0

It may be a fact for you, for me it is just hear-say, something I read on a forum (in the first and so far only post of a new member).

Last year we heard the "facts" that Märklin will make a new turntable and the C track double-slip switch.

Someone from Märklin may have said that a CS3 will come later this year. Was he serious? Was he just kidding?

Even if a CS3 was scheduled for later this year, it could still be delayed by months.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 15 April 2013 15:56:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
It may be a fact for you, for me it is just hear-say, something I read on a forum (in the first and so far only post of a new member).

Last year we heard the "facts" that Märklin will make a new turntable and the C track double-slip switch.

Someone from Märklin may have said that a CS3 will come later this year. Was he serious? Was he just kidding?

Even if a CS3 was scheduled for later this year, it could still be delayed by months.

CS3 is old news lets look at CS4 LOL

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Danlake  
#20 Posted : 15 April 2013 16:01:13(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Sorry I find this initial post a little bit suspicious…

New user posting a hot topic rumour and then complete silence?

I may be wrong – and then please forgive me Always Marklin, but there is something strange going on here…

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Webmaster  
#21 Posted : 15 April 2013 19:48:34(UTC)
Webmaster

This is the great thing with Internet forums - we get rumours, speculations, facts, help with our stuff and everything else in one place... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#22 Posted : 15 April 2013 20:22:38(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Hello.

I do not think that Marklin will develop the CS3 (or CS4) yet.

The development of CS2 is incomplete and there are still many things to improve and fix (in each update come new bugs).

I think Marklin has not yet managed to get all the potential to CS2 and have not gotten it to work PERFECT.

It is true that in the past Marklin left the CS1 development after breaking relations with ESU. We all know the potential of a CS1 with ESU software (eg DCC protocol or draw 4 amps from booster) and a CS1 with Marklin 2.0.4 software is wasted.

In my opinion Marklin abandoned the CS1 users. The only want to develop the CS2. At this point, if they return to do the same with CS3 (or CS4), leaving the development of CS2, would be a great clumsiness and many CS2 users would be left disappointed and even very angry.

Regards
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 15 April 2013 23:55:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RUBEN SPAIN Go to Quoted Post
........ would be a great clumsiness and many CS2 users would be left disappointed and even very angry.

Agreed! I was one of those let down by Marklin's botched approach to the CS1, and I would be really peeved and annoyed Cursing at them if they did the same thing with the CS2.
Offline intruder  
#24 Posted : 16 April 2013 00:11:26(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Let's just forget about the CS3 (or CS4) until we hear some rumours about it! Cool Bored Confused

I still have my sturdy old CS1 and will stay with that for some more years, maybe until CS5?
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline steventrain  
#25 Posted : 27 June 2013 19:50:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
CS3 will not be present this year - Marklin.

No News on next update for CS2.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline michelvr  
#26 Posted : 28 June 2013 02:03:02(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
The new Marklin CS3 has a high definition speed control knob which is linked to your bank account and shows you how fast you locomotive is traveling which relates to your direct deposit to Marklin. Every time you turn on the new Marklin CS3 your bank account is depleting funds as fast as your locomotive is traveling around your layout. Marklin assures us, "This way you do not need to worry about any up coming new models, we have your money for the new models, rest assured"

Flapper

Please do no think this is true as this is fiction created on a hot Thursday night, while I was enjoying a nice bottle of wine with my lovely wife. If you are reading this on your computer or iPod or any remote device you risk yourself harm if you desire to pull the plug!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#27 Posted : 28 June 2013 02:29:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I accept that at some stage there will be a need for an upgraded CS - CS3, CS4 or whatever.

However, I don't think the iThingy / PC upgrade argument applies here. Those devices are designed to do many things, many new features are demanded every day, new software is being developed, etc. Therefore manufacturers need to update every 2 or so years.

The CS is designed to do only one thing, i.e. run your trains, and we pay lots of money for them. A new CS every 5 years is probably too frequent to allow owners to maximise their investment.

As has been previously discussed, a new controller might be just a 'black box' with screen interfaces handled by iThingies/Android devices via wifi.

I guess it is a balancing act for Marklin - too frequent and folks will not buy as they seek to make use of existing equipment, but too infrequent means that stuff becomes out of date, or competitors have better devices, etc.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 28 June 2013 08:16:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The CS is designed to do only one thing, i.e. run your trains, and we pay lots of money for them. A new CS every 5 years is probably too frequent to allow owners to maximise their investment.
The CS2 was designed for one purpose with the hardware available a few years ago. They didn't have mfx+ on their minds and probably they didn't include hardware for RailCom.
A new CS (maybe just a CS2+) could have just a few improvements: maybe a better graphics processor (for mfx+) or a faster processor, maybe hardware for RailCom, maybe an input for a video camera.

Pure speculation, no inside information.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jeehring  
#29 Posted : 28 June 2013 10:41:27(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
CS3 will not be present this year - Marklin.

....(...)....

Of course !

Offline jeehring  
#30 Posted : 28 June 2013 11:36:03(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

...As has been previously discussed, a new controller might be just a 'black box' with screen interfaces handled by iThingies/Android devices via wifi.

...etc.

In the industrial world and manufacturing world today, only one creed, a single credo that crushes all others : "COST DRIVEN" .....! ***
It has become an obsession, unfortunately....to the detriment of consumers who love beautiful things.
(Which was not yet the case circa 2006/2007 as they decided to developp the CS2, the context was quite specific & different. At this moment the goal was to devellop a computer that had to be better than a CS1 , a kind of "super CS1"....)

*** One of the best examples of "cost driven policy as a unique priority" (should I say : a victim ? ) is the new controler from Roco : a minimal software + a black box....and buy all the rest on the shelves. ...Less amount of investment = more savings for Roco , but....for the consumer there is no difference into the final price....and a less complete object. Looking at their marketting communication : the main argument was about...modernity. Blink Bored (..... more rigid, less flexible, fewer options, less fun,...exepted probably those funny tricks included in the i-things software & the camera included into tabs... ) .

Edited by user 29 June 2013 15:21:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 28 June 2013 11:54:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Call me old fashioned, but I like a controller with knobs and buttons on it!

If they do go down the route of the "black box with WIFI connections" gadget I hope they bring connection ports so we can physically connect something like a MS2 to it.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 28 June 2013 12:37:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
If they do go down the route of the "black box with WIFI connections" gadget I hope they bring connection ports so we can physically connect something like a MS2 to it.
I'd like something completely different: a box with controllers and function keys that connects to a PC and uses the PC's display and graphics power.
I don't need a black box like the Z21 (or the white box z21). But both allow to connect Roco's MultiMaus for those who want to use them without WiFi.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#33 Posted : 28 June 2013 12:39:27(UTC)
jeehring

Please Marklin : no Z21 black box , never !
For train players who play, the Z 21 black box is just a big connector .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline pa-pauls  
#34 Posted : 28 June 2013 12:48:38(UTC)
pa-pauls

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Please Marklin : no Z21 black box , never !

Agree ! ThumpUp

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pa-pauls
Offline mbarreto  
#35 Posted : 28 June 2013 13:19:28(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I prefer the exact physical format of Ecos (in dark grey or old transformes's blue) with more processing power and a higher resolution screen, but with Intellibox type knobs (in red :) ).
Railcomm is important because we may want to have decoders that support it and don't support mfx.

I don't like the Z21 because it always need an additional device to control the trains.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Goofy  
#36 Posted : 28 June 2013 17:43:15(UTC)
Goofy

Regards Allways_maerklin

Let´s see if you have right! Glare
I think you are an troll because you have only one post since 10/4!! Huh
In fact you did started this topic just because to watch other members discovering about CS3 in madness way... Wink
Sigh... Sad

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Paul59  
#37 Posted : 28 June 2013 23:46:07(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Call me old fashioned, but I like a controller with knobs and buttons on it!

Couldn't agree more Ray.
Model railways are tangible items - they have mass, shape and feel. I like a controller that has the same properties.

Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59