Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2013 08:38:41(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,

After my somewhat successful upgrade to my ACTS loco, I thought I might chance my hand on upgrading anothet loco. This time I thought I'd have a go at the electric Cargo 29483. It has a 21 pin mfx decoder in it without any sounds. I'd like to incorporate the sounds. Drool Drool What is the best and easiest way to do this? Anyone with some ideas?

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2013 08:51:58(UTC)
H0

Hi!

That should be simple: just find space for the speaker - and two solder pads on the PCB to connect them.
Once again look where pins 9 and 10 lead to on the PCB.

Will you use mSD again?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2013 10:43:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The Re 4/4II (Re 421) has very little interior space for the installation of a speaker. The announced 37347 Re 420 LION will be the first model to be delivered from the factory with sound. I presume that Maerklin will be making modifications to the chassis to accommodate the installation of a speaker. If you are willing to wait 6 months, you may be able to order one of the new chassis parts and to use this to equip your older model with a speaker. I am definitely considering this, seeing that I have most, if not all, of the Re 4/4II models released to date.

If you do manage to put a decent speaker into your lok as is, please provide photos so that I can see how you solved this challenge.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2013 11:47:17(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

That should be simple: just find space for the speaker - and two solder pads on the PCB to connect them.
Once again look where pins 9 and 10 lead to on the PCB.

Will you use mSD again?

Hi Tom,
Is there a possibility to be able to buy just the mfx decoder and speaker or is the best way to buy the msd kit?

Regards
Greg
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2013 14:02:24(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
He's hooked. I knew it would happen.
Just curious, have you considered an ESU decoder?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2013 14:28:16(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
He's hooked. I knew it would happen.
Just curious, have you considered an ESU decoder?

I'm hooked until something goes wrong - which with my luck won't be very long. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try.

A mSD decoder is 75 euro and an ESU64499 decoder is 96 euro - I don't know what is different between them, and if there isn't much, then it's the mSD. Can someone tell the difference and which one is more suitable.

Regards
Greg
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2013 14:33:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The ESU has better sounds, and I find the volume level on the mSD decoders too quiet. That means I usually have to replace the Marklin 8 ohm speaker with an ESU 4 ohm speaker to get any decent sound level out of them.

You can generally get the mSD decoder upgrade packs for under 70 euro - see johnvandamme's ebay shop.
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2013 18:48:05(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I was not aware of the price difference. They just program so easily with LokProgrammer. The sound is great and I have more flexibility with the sound programs, including creating your own. They offer a multitude of features too. The coupler waltz is just amazing to watch and programmable for push time, push speed, pull off time and pull off speed and all done with one simple press of a function button. More stuff than you can sometime wrap your head around.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2013 19:38:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Can someone tell the difference and which one is more suitable.
Both are suitable AFAIK.
Some buy Märklin because it's cheaper, others buy ESU because they think it's better value for the money.

I never installed a sound decoder myself, but with respect to factory-installed decoders, I prefer ESU.
With an electric loco, this may not make a difference.
But with steamers, it makes a difference for me.

ESU's V4 decoders have more options with respect to function mapping, but you don't need this for all locos.

The mSD always comes with a 21MTC board. I think you cannot buy it without this board. Maybe you can use the board for another loco or sell it on eBay.

ESU decoders are NEM compatible. The normal mSD is NMRA compatible, the mSD Spezial is NEM compatible. In some M* locos either type can be used, some locos require either the former or the latter.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 08 June 2013 14:24:32(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
If I get the ECS Loksound V4.0, will I need a Lokprogrammer ? i.e the 64499 which is "unprogrammed".

Greg
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2013 16:06:50(UTC)
H0

You will need a LokProgrammer to upload the "Re 4/4 II" sound to the decoder.
Or find a dealer that uploads that sound to the 64499 (unless you know someone who has a LokProgrammer).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2013 17:00:56(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I would think most any dealer will load the sound file for you. The guy I buy from provides that service. They just ask you provide them the file number. It is a field you can complete when you order at his website. for an Re 4/4 II, the file number is 64472.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 09 June 2013 01:04:01(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Tom & Matt.

I do know someone who has a Lokprogrammer and so that will do the trick. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Greg
Offline biedmatt  
#14 Posted : 09 June 2013 06:48:01(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Tom & Matt.

I do know someone who has a Lokprogrammer and so that will do the trick. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Greg

Be sure and have him show you how it works. It is the bee's knees.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Dave Banks  
#15 Posted : 09 June 2013 12:56:20(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Mike I am a bit late seeing this topic but a few years ago I had a go at the RE421 374-0 & fitted a loksound V3.5 decoder to this loco. It worked out well & still going strong. Below are some images of the conversion:

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#16 Posted : 09 June 2013 23:47:49(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I have been asked how the Swiss light changeover was achieved. Best described in these below photos:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline biedmatt  
#17 Posted : 10 June 2013 00:43:33(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
UserPostedImage

Program Aux 1 (green wire) to come on anytime the lights (F0) are on, both for forward and reverse.

Leave the white and yellow light outputs to operate as normal for forward and reverse.

If you are not using Aux 2 and do not wish to "split" the wire from Aux 1, then wire Aux 1 to the bottom right at one end and Aux 2 to the one at the opposite end and program both Aux 1 and 2 to activate with the F0 function.

Edit: Be sure and use 2.2K ohm resistors in the white, yellow and green circuits for your LEDs. These are not shown above and you will burn the LEDs if you do not.

Edited by user 10 June 2013 14:13:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 12 June 2013 05:01:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Interesting conversion job. In doing this, you bypassed the whole Maerklin circuit board. Other than the new decoder and sound module, what other modifications did you have to make to get the lok operational?

Regards

Mike C
Offline Dave Banks  
#19 Posted : 13 June 2013 11:43:37(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Mike, Had to remove the four posts that supported the old decoder board to make the sound conversion possible. There was no RE4/4 at the time with sound & none were being discussed during that period so I rose to the challenge & it turned out to be a very successful conversion.Had fun working the lights out. I did similar conversions with the "Fulda" Taurus, Red arrow, BR482's,BR80, V60 & V80. All had no sound availability at the time. Now it is simply too expensive to do the conversion & so many models now come with sound. But alas our Aussie $ has taken a huge nose dive & all spending is rained in. Looking forward to my #37567. That will be it for a while sadly.Sad
D.A.Banks