Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GSRR  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2012 22:21:28(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
MÄRKLIN ENTHUSIASTS OF AMERICA

Cannot find the updated information. Is the MÄRKLIN ENTHUSIASTS OF AMERICA going to have the spring swap meet in Scranton, PA on April 29th?

http://www.modellbahn.com/swap_meets.html

r/Thomas

Edited by moderator 02 February 2013 06:16:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2012 22:33:29(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Mark your calendars: Sunday,April 29, 2012.
Event: European Train Show & Sale
Venue: Electric City Trolley Museum, Scranton, PA
Hours: 9am to 3pm
Admission; $8 for adults, $4 for children 3 & under free
This includes the show, museum and scenic trolley ride.
Sponsor; Marklin Enthusiasts of America
While a Marklin sponsorship one will find vendors of a variety of Euro-themed
product.
Vendor cost: $20 per table, additional tables members $15, others $20.
Vendor and Visitor contact: Steven Seyer <scsbahn@...>
Visitor information: Gordon Davis <gdavis4@...>

From the B&G

Dr D

Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2013 19:18:29(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I could not find a website for MEA... does this still exist?

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2013 19:46:42(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
I could not find a website for MEA... does this still exist?

- Mark

Hi Mark,all,
Post this on the B&G Gordan Davis *might* be able to give you an answer.

Dr D

Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:25:15(UTC)
Webmaster

From www.modellbahn.com who usually announce MEA meets and such on their site, the MEA site link goes to ETE...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:27:37(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post

Or even better, convince Mr Gordan Davies to become a member here too... BigGrin
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kbvrod  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:31:08(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post

Or even better, convince Mr Gordan Davies to become a member here too... BigGrin

Hi Yoda,all,
I try and try,...

My thought is that the MEA is no more,the ETE,internet,etc,...

Dr D

Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:35:29(UTC)
Webmaster

But there were MEA swap meets in 2012, so they are not defunct as I understand - just "offline" as the rest of us see it...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2013 03:27:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
But there were MEA swap meets in 2012, so they are not defunct as I understand - just "offline" as the rest of us see it...

Late last year I emailed the contact for the MEA (crawfj@mail.xxx.xxx), can't recall where I found the email address but I had a stack of handelspost magazines from the time I was a member and while going back through them was refreshed on the number of really interesting articles that had been included.

I am sick of the amount of printed material that I have to keep moving around my already cramped man-cave, especially items I don't read very often but still like access to the content. Before scanning to archive them I wanted to know if this had already been done by someone else to save me the effort.

Alas no response, so I can only assume that the email address is no longer valid or some other issue preventing a response.

The MEA did fill a gap with collectors for a very long time but hard to see how a non-online facility like that could survive in this day and age.

It makes me also wonder, if the MEA are defunct, would there by any ramifications on republishing some of the articles on a forum like this?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kc6uvm_George  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2013 06:03:41(UTC)
kc6uvm_George

United States   
I rejoined MEA (after a two or three decade absence) last year and sent dues to John Crawford last December 2012 at:

Märklin Enthusiasts of America, Inc.
2104 Cedar Circle Drive
Catonsville, MD 21228

I have a copy of John's email received 11/20/2012 I can forward to any interested party. It has his phone and fax number in it. Below is his current email:

crawfj@mail.nih.gov

BTW, more info at: http://www.modellbahn.com/marklin_clubs.html

I haven't seen the current Handelspost magazine nor received a 2013 membership card yet. I'd like to read the older copies of the Handelspost if the magazine been scanned to disc.

Only time will tell if MEA is still with us...
George,
73 de kc6uvm
NMRA life member
Lancaster, CA
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2013 06:43:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kc6uvm_George Go to Quoted Post
I rejoined MEA (after a two or three decade absence) last year and sent dues to John Crawford last December 2012 at:

Märklin Enthusiasts of America, Inc.
2104 Cedar Circle Drive
Catonsville, MD 21228

I have a copy of John's email received 11/20/2012 I can forward to any interested party. It has his phone and fax number in it. Below is his current email:

crawfj@mail.nih.gov

BTW, more info at: http://www.modellbahn.com/marklin_clubs.html

I haven't seen the current Handelspost magazine nor received a 2013 membership card yet. I'd like to read the older copies of the Handelspost if the magazine been scanned to disc.

Only time will tell if MEA is still with us...

Ok, well that is the correct email address, I just hid part of mine for his privacy.

I emailed twice, in August and he never bothered to reply to either, even a simple "sorry can't help'. I guess Public Relations maybe not their strong point?

Hopefully your own experience may be a more positive one.

I also asked in my email what their position was on past articles being 'regurgitated', I'm sure that means I should take the lack of response as a friendly "yes, go ahead". Cool

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kc6uvm_George  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2013 07:25:43(UTC)
kc6uvm_George

United States   
Quote:
I just hid part of mine for his privacy.

Cookie,

With out sounding picky, this email was available on http://www.modellbahn.com/marklin_clubs.html when I clicked on "email the secretary" link.
George,
73 de kc6uvm
NMRA life member
Lancaster, CA
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2013 07:54:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kc6uvm_George Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
I just hid part of mine for his privacy.

Cookie,

With out sounding picky, this email was available on http://www.modellbahn.com/marklin_clubs.html when I clicked on "email the secretary" link.

No problem, as I said, I could not remember where I located the email address and couldn't be bothered trying to trace it back so I just erred on the side of caution, bearing in mind that the posting of full email address in forums is generally not encouraged because of the harvesting by 'bots for spam.

I certainly would not want my email address posted here as a complete address link, Lord knows I get enough spam already - groan

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline EuroKev  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2013 14:43:33(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Question, did the M.E.A meet actually happen? I am getting back into my Marklin hobby and I am searching for any meets the north east

Thanks
Kev
Offline kbvrod  
#15 Posted : 27 May 2013 17:30:08(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
From the B&G:

> The HAMBURG DUTCH TRAIN MEET is Sunday June 2, 2013 at the
> Hamburg Fire Co. Field House at Pine St. in Hamburg, PA
> Just four blocks off Hamburg Fourth St. EXIT of IS-78 and US 22.
>
> This meet has a long and successful history and currently has 350
> plus tables. Facilities include parking for 1000 cars;
> level entrances, breakfast and lunch available;
> easy access from New York, Philadelpha, and Baltimore metro areas.
>
> The hours are 9 AM to 1 PM
>
> Adults $5 Children free
>
> Questions? Contact Ralph Maurer at 610 987-3144
>
> Al GAlli
>
>
> Note that the Marklin Enthusiasts of America hold their show
> within the Hamburg show.
Offline Rydman  
#16 Posted : 28 January 2017 17:40:31(UTC)
Rydman

Hello Everyone,

Any word on current status of MEA?
I too just sent email to address listed on modellbahn collectors website. I will let you know if I hear back... This is 4 years later, after last post in this thread in 2013...

I too am trying to get back into my Marklin hobbyFlapper .

Regards,
Rydman
ETE Member#824
ETEGL Member
MEA Member
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rydman
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2017 01:09:04(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

The MEA is indeed active and happening, albeit very "offline". The still do the handlespost newsletter, and about 1 show per year. I'm on the board of the club, and discussions are currently underway about the next show possibilities. (location etc...) and web etc... to bring the club into the modern era.

Pop me a message if you need anything or have questions. If I can't answer, I'll get it int he right hands...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline sjbartels  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2017 02:11:33(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

The MEA is indeed active and happening, albeit very "offline". The still do the handlespost newsletter, and about 1 show per year. I'm on the board of the club, and discussions are currently underway about the next show possibilities. (location etc...) and web etc... to bring the club into the modern era.

Pop me a message if you need anything or have questions. If I can't answer, I'll get it int he right hands...

Feel free to post on here under the events section any MEA events upcomming. I am sure many members here would welcome it and might even try and attend
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline DB Fan  
#19 Posted : 31 January 2017 03:03:53(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
This is the first time I heard about this. I went to the website and didn't see any recent info on any upcoming show. I would like to attend but would need to know more so I can plan it since I live in SC. Is it open to the public or do I have to be a member? Please post any info on the upcoming show. Thank you.

Robert
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#20 Posted : 31 January 2017 16:43:19(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi Robert,

What web site were you looking at? If the link on Modelbahn.com, please disregard. We are going to work on removing or updating that.

In terms of a show, no immediate plans, but a date/location is currently under active discussion....
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Rydman  
#21 Posted : 04 February 2017 07:12:24(UTC)
Rydman

Hello Everyone,

I just received my color copy of December 2016 MEA Handelspost! Thank you 5HorizonsRR for putting me in touch with the right people.

I think the MEA Club information on the Modellbahn Collectors site <Modellbahn.com> should be updated. This way interested persons (like me) can find it and join if they wish to.

Thanks again,
Rydman
ETE Member#824
ETEGL Member
MEA Member
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rydman
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 02 March 2017 20:25:28(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Just reading the sample ETE newsletter to decide if I want to join andin reading the 'in memorium' section, I discovered the name Märklin Enthusiasts of America, so I did a search thinking "Huh, that may be more appropriate to what I do..."

But if they don't exist except for very regional and offline, the don't exist for my purposes. :(

That said, this website here already covers what most would traditionally get out of a 'community of interest' organization in decades past - and all of those orgs are now facing the challenge of shrinking relevance and membership. My professional engineering organization is fighting the same sort of battles, in a world of LinkedIn.

If MEA does exist as a national organization, I'd love to know where one goes to read about it.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline DB Fan  
#23 Posted : 03 March 2017 01:35:22(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
I have the same problem. The only thing I can find about MEA is on the Modellbahn website and it is outdated. Is there a website for MEA? I would like to know more about the MEA like if it is regional or nation wide. It is very difficult to find any info on it and that makes me wonder if they want any new members. Not trying to stir anything up or be critical, it is just an observation.

Robert
Offline petestra  
#24 Posted : 03 March 2017 13:08:53(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
I have the same problem. The only thing I can find about MEA is on the Modellbahn website and it is outdated. Is there a website for MEA? I would like to know more about the MEA like if it is regional or nation wide. It is very difficult to find any info on it and that makes me wonder if they want any new members. Not trying to stir anything up or be critical, it is just an observation.

Robert

Hi Robert. I belonged to them in the 80s & 90s. They were quite active then and they put out a newsletter with a section on buy/sell items. I bought

a few things but that was before ebay. I believe the man who ran it was from MI. Anyway, I don't think that they are in service now. If you hear

anything further let us know. Peter.Cool
Offline grnwtrs  
#25 Posted : 04 March 2017 21:17:49(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post

Robert

Hi Robert. I belonged to them in the 80s & 90s. They were quite active then and they put out a newsletter with a section on buy/sell items. I bought

a few things but that was before ebay. I believe the man who ran it was from MI. Anyway, I don't think that they are in service now. If you hear

anything further let us know. Peter.Cool

Peter, that was my experience also. I mostly bought old catalogues from a guy in Pennsylvania. I think his name was Ben.
Then when ebay came along, I followed up with Ebay listings. Now I slowed down with Ebay.

Best regards,
gene
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Webmaster  
#26 Posted : 04 March 2017 21:36:26(UTC)
Webmaster

I would be very happy to work with MEA to make it more present in today's online world. A cooperation between MEA and marklin-users would be great as I see it.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster